A few suggestions...

I have a couple of gameplay fix suggestions, and a few suggestions for a future version.

When playing a game, I have noticed a couple of issues that happen often that should be corrected.

1. Plays don't always follow the play called, especially in the direction. This happens mostly on pass plays, but I have seen where you call a run to the left and the play description shows him cutting inside or even to the right. Or it's a run up the middle that ends up being run out of bounds for a 2 yard gain. On pass plays it's more pronounced, with the route shown being an out & the description being a post.

2. The players making the play are often pretty unrealistic. On a 3 yard run off left tackle the key block probably isn't coming from the right tackle. A linebacker that pressures the QB into a quick throw probably isn't going to make an immediate tackle on a 20 yard reception either, just as a safety that blows a tackle allowing the runner to break for 15 more yards isn't likely to be the guy making the tackle.

Now, a few things to consider for a future version.

Recruiting...

I would like to see less specific positions & more realistic measurables.

For example: The O-line recruiting is too position specific, resulting in some teams you play having great depth at one position, but playing awful guys next to them. The same goes for linebackers. And Free/Strong safety. Perhaps recruiting these positions (and athletes) could be more like receiver, where there is one big pool, and you decide where to play them.

Another thing for athletes & these players in less specific positions that could be added would be a preferred position. Similar to the recruiting pitch (location vs. prestige...) could be where a lineman instead of being slotted as a center would have a position that he prefers. Then your pitch to him would include where you see him playing. Athletes could also use this, as that 6'1" 182 athlete may prefer to play QB, but you want him as a CB. Maybe that 6'4" 270 athlete has options of playing DE, DT or OL. Some smaller DE's could also be potential LB's.

As for the measurables, it shouldn't be that difficult to look at what the average height/weight/40 are for positions & to make the game a little more realistic. There simply are not a great deal of 6'8" centers & DT's. Top QB's tend to be over 6'2". 300 lb men typically don't run 4.48 40's. I try to recruit realistically, and you just don't see 6'0" OT's.

Another thing that would be really cool would be if the offensive & defensive formations preferred by the coaches were what they actually ran. There seems to be little to no correlation between the plays called and what the coaches like to run, and the styles run by teams change yearly without the coaches changing. Shouldn't a coach that likes the spread recruit players who fit the scheme and have a playbook that reflects that scheme? As it is, a coach who prefers a 4-3 may run the 3-3-5 one year & a 5-2 the next. I would think that a team would want to have some continuity and run schemes they are comfortable with. Another thing in coaching that is a little annoying is when a team fires a head coach in the game, the assistants are retained by the new coach.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived