The NJPW Discussion Thread

Dave_Scott

On 8/27/2022 at 4:21 AM, CGN91 said:

Do you have NJPW World @djskeemask? You should absolutely do a rewatch of all finals. Some are bettern than others but I think that's fun to do if you're not that into Japan like you said some posts before (or was it in the AEW thread lol)

I only have the free New Japan World. I tried to subscribe but they wouldn't accept my debit card. I think cause it's a Japanese transaction.

Just doing some reading on NJPW's website. There is a really good interview article with Tanahashi called Aces High. They are up to part 98. So, a little background on me. I've been a huge fan of Great-O-Khan and think he is underutilized. I guess I'm not the only one. In the interview they were talking about Okada's excursion and return and how it has been the best in recent years. Tanahashi later goes on to say...

"I’m not sure there’s ever been someone that had that complete package after Okada. O-Khan has been the closest in my opinion."

He then goes on to say...

"Usually you see a guy come back from excursion with this new persona. Great-O-Khan was Great-O-Khan all the way through his excursion, which is really cool, and perfect for him. He’s able to express himself so effectively, and he’s been able to cultivate this hardcore fandom while still being a complete heel out there. He’s *the* guy for this generation, I feel."

So it sounds like Tanahashi is co-signing on a fruitful future for Great-O-Khan. I think that is a bold statement for his final sentence, but I hope it's true!  

• 3 months later...

Omega vs. Ospreay is one of the best matches I've ever seen, for those who haven't caught it yet. Ospreay's selling is astounding, and Kenny playing the "I'm better than you" character was incredible. Just a perfect match from start to finish. This should be the final nail in the "these guys can't work" coffin.

Oleg Boltin was awesome. Hope to see more of him soon.

The IWGP Women's title match was good for what it was. The post match angle was bad, but that can easily be chalked up to not being familiar with the environment.

White vs. Okada is what you'd expect. At the mid-to-high quality range of a Dome main event.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dalton said:

Omega vs. Ospreay is one of the best matches I've ever seen, for those who haven't caught it yet. Ospreay's selling is astounding, and Kenny playing the "I'm better than you" character was incredible. Just a perfect match from start to finish. This should be the final nail in the "these guys can't work" coffin.

Oleg Boltin was awesome. Hope to see more of him soon.

The IWGP Women's title match was good for what it was. The post match angle was bad, but that can easily be chalked up to not being familiar with the environment.

White vs. Okada is what you'd expect. At the mid-to-high quality range of a Dome main event.

Yep that's my thoughts, too. I'm maybe not that high on Will-Kenny like you but this match by far the best match on the night. Jay-Okada wasn't as boring as the internet community tweeted out but you've seen Jay's shtick for like 2790 times against the Rainmaker. I won't miss Jay a bit if he would leave Japan soon. He's a very good wrestler but this BULLET CLUB character didn't evolved in any direction..

• 7 months later...

I'm off Tuesday and Wednesday and plan on binging the G1 and I was wondering if there was a list of the matches with the dates they happened. The problem I'm facing while looking for this is I'm trying to avoid spoilers. I know who the winner of the G1 is, but the matches themselves leading up to it? No. 

Any help would be appreciated so I can pin point which shows to watch

• 4 months later...

Big changes at the top with Takami Ohbari and Michiaki Nishizawa stepping down.

President & Representative Director: Hiroshi Tanahashi

Director: Hitoshi Matsumoto (Chief of Business Production, TV Asahi) 

Director: Taro Okada (President & CEO, Bushiroad Fight) *Mr. Okada’s position is on a part time basis

On 12/22/2023 at 9:51 PM, milamber said:

Big changes at the top with Takami Ohbari and Michiaki Nishizawa stepping down.

President & Representative Director: Hiroshi Tanahashi

Director: Hitoshi Matsumoto (Chief of Business Production, TV Asahi) 

Director: Taro Okada (President & CEO, Bushiroad Fight) *Mr. Okada’s position is on a part time basis

Does Tanahashi have any experience in booking? Any notable angles or stables that were his idea?

Not entirely sure this means Tanahashi has real power in the back or if this is just a PR role for him.

Pollock & Wai Ting (Post Wrestling) reacted to the news.

2 hours ago, Dalton said:

The NJPW President is not the booker

1 hour ago, Eternal Phoenix said:

The booker is still Gedo, but I think it's Tana and those other two who can have him replaced now, instead of the outgoing guy. Not that they would, necessarily.

Guess president in puroresu is a ceremonial position? In American companies, usually the president (when there is one) has some hand in the booking.

Bischoff and Jim Herd had their hands in a lot of WCW Storylines during the 90s for example.

36 minutes ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Guess president in puroresu is a ceremonial position? In American companies, usually the president (when there is one) has some hand in the booking.

Bischoff and Jim Herd had their hands in a lot of WCW Storylines during the 90s for example.

I think it has more to do with the business end o things. Tana actually has a law degree and graduated from university before becoming a wrestler. Literally right before. Graduated and then joined New Japan immediately. Representative Director also makes me think he'll function as the locker room's voice in business related decisions. As far as booking goes, I mean, no shot Gedo was ignoring Tana when the man had something to say. Being the President may make that status more official rather than based on Tana being a legend and probably a locker room leader, but I doubt it actually alters it, you know?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eternal Phoenix said:

I think it has more to do with the business end o things. Tana actually has a law degree and graduated from university before becoming a wrestler. Literally right before. Graduated and then joined New Japan immediately. Representative Director also makes me think he'll function as the locker room's voice in business related decisions. As far as booking goes, I mean, no shot Gedo was ignoring Tana when the man had something to say. Being the President may make that status more official rather than based on Tana being a legend and probably a locker room leader, but I doubt it actually alters it, you know?

Thanks, I was trying to clarify that.

For what it's worth, John Pollock seemed to indicate that Tanahashi was a significant hiring in The Post's coverage. I could've misread his coverage though.

Apparently, there's a press conference in a couple days that will provide more information.

4 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

It's not ceremonial at all. Tanahashi will absolutely be heavily involved with the goings-on for NJPW. He just isn't the booker. A president can have duties with a promotion without booking the matches. 

Nick Khan is the President of WWE and isn't the booker. 

Edited by Dalton

• 3 weeks later...