The NJPW Discussion Thread

Dave_Scott

Holy smokes, Invasion Attack was good.

I'm still relatively new to New Japan but that might be one of the best wrestling shows I've seen in the last 5 years.

Favourite matches for me were Goto & Ishii vs Evil & Bushi, and Kushida vs Ospreay. But every match on the card was pretty outstanding.

Holy smokes, Invasion Attack was good.

I'm still relatively new to New Japan but that might be one of the best wrestling shows I've seen in the last 5 years.

Favourite matches for me were Goto & Ishii vs Evil & Bushi, and Kushida vs Ospreay. But every match on the card was pretty outstanding.

I've seen better from NJPW, but I definitely enjoyed it a lot. I won't say anything specific yet in case anyone else is like me and watches shows on NJPW World on demand later rather than live in the middle of the night, but it had several good matches and some interesting storyline developments. That was my first time seeing Ospreay, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of him.

One thing I will say is that replacing Matt Striker with Steve Corino on English commentary was a good call. Striker got on my nerves at times, and with Corino there was the added bonus of him being able to sum up what was being said during the Japanese promos.

One thing I will say is that replacing Matt Striker with Steve Corino on English commentary was a good call. Striker got on my nerves at times, and with Corino there was the added bonus of him being able to sum up what was being said during the Japanese promos.

To be honest I watched the first half of the show in Japanese before realising there was an English commentary version and switching. After the show, my lasting impression was that it is much better with Japanese commentary. I just don't care for Kelly or Corino at all (although they're both better than Striker).

You all are blasphemers!! :p Matt Striker is God's gift to the pro wrestling announce team. Kevin Kelly I would say is one of if not the worst announcer right now in wrestling.

Striker's weird, because on Lucha Underground he's actually pretty good. But there's something about his general way of being when he's on New Japan shows that makes me want to throttle him.

To be honest I watched the first half of the show in Japanese before realising there was an English commentary version and switching. After the show, my lasting impression was that it is much better with Japanese commentary. I just don't care for Kelly or Corino at all (although they're both better than Striker).

If Striker had been back I probably would've gone with the Japanese commentary; even though I can't understand what they're saying, they at least don't actively hurt my enjoyment of the match. This would have gone double if Yoshi Tatsu had been on commentary again. At first, Yoshi was so terrible that he was entertaining in an Art Donavon at KOTR kind of way. Then at some point during WK he ceased being laughably terrible and was just terrible with no redeeming quality.

Watching Invasion Attack.

I hate Juice Robinson more now than I did when he was CJ Parker in NXT. He doesn't seem natural in the ring at all. It just looks like he's forcing every action he does. I was glad he took the fall in the opening.

I also can't stand Toru Yano. Yuji Nagata is still awesome though.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

I refuse! For the longest time I equated him with Santino Marella, lovable loser type character, but everything he does just looks so bad.

His facial expressions are great though.

I really enjoyed RPG Vice vs Matt Sydal and Ricochet. It's nice seeing Beretta getting some love. Huge fan of his.

Kushida and Will Ospreay have put on the best performance so far. I'm going to finish the rest of the show tomorrow.

Anyone else check the show out?

Finally watched invasion attack. Company is so interesting right now. SANADA fresh off battling in the company for MEN (Big Japan) should be money in NJPW. Ingobernables vs CHAOS should be a fun ride, even more fun when Kamaitachi presumably joins and then goes against Will Ospreay, which will definitely have people talking.

Felt like the booking and direction of the company far outshines the actual show, as it felt like a landmark show. But the show was very good too, everything from the Jr tag to the main event I thought was at least good (save for the tag titles). The Okada/Naito saga has been a quiet underlay of the Okada vs Tanahashi era because everyone knows that spot was earmarked for Naito. The pre match video really summed it up best.

Company is looking up, and G1 should be stellar

OK, enough time has passed that I feel like I can comfortably talk about the show. If you're a straggler who still plans to watch Invasion Attack and has somehow avoided spoilers thus far, best turn back now.

TRANQUILO!

So, yeah. I love Okada, and it was his feud with Tanahashi that really turned me into a full-time NJPW watcher over the past few years. As much as I love the Rainmaker though, this was the right decision and I'm really glad they pulled the trigger. Naito is absolutely on fire. Starting with last year's G1 he really started grabbing my attention. He'd always been talented, but there really wasn't anything about him that made me care. Quite frankly, I found him boring. All that changed once he morphed from the Stardust Genius into the Los Ingobernables persona.

He was quickly becoming one of my favorite performers before WK10, even though it seemed like he was going to be stuck in midcard feuds for the foreseeable future. But then opportunity arose, and he has stepped up and filled the void left by Triple H's talent raid. With AJ and Nak gone and Tanahashi on the road to the midcard nostalgia act (or so it seems to me), NJPW desperately needed a top of the card talent and draw they could rely on other than Okada. Enter Naito. Unlike a couple of years ago when they tried to make him a main eventer and the fans rejected it, this time the fans more or less demanded him. Thankfully, they listened. NJPW is going to be a very interesting place with Naito and Los Ingobernables at the top of the mountain. I hope he isn't dethroned until WK11.

The match itself was really good. There were several really good matches on the show. As I mentioned before, that was my first time seeing Ospreay; I am now a fan. In terms of pure work his match with Kushida was probably my favorite on the show, though obviously it couldn't compare to the main event as far as drama and atmosphere went.

About my only complaint with the show was the tag title switch. I don't mind Tama Tonga; he's actually kind of grown on me. I think I heard that his brother has been in both WWE and TNA previously, but I don't believe I saw him in either place, or if I did I don't remember it. Based on what I've seen so far, both of those companies are better off without him. It seems he's inherited the departed Doc Gallows' role as the Bullet Club tag team wrestler who never fails to bore the life out of me. I guess it doesn't matter much in the long run though, because NJPW's tag team division is an afterthought no matter who has the belts.

That's really a minor quibble on what was an entertaining and very important show. NJPW seems to be recovering nicely from the departures at the beginning of the year. If anything they may have been a blessing in disguise, because whereas before things had gotten pretty stale with no one really breaking through the Okada/Tanahashi/AJ triumvirate, now things feel fresh, new and exciting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
How did I know it would be ospreay vs ricochet before even opening it. I'm no Japanese wrestling expert but I wouldn't really call that a Japanese style match. I don't want to come off like Vader or others who are blasting the match but it was way too spotty for me. Don't get me wrong it was great to watch and shows incredible skill and athleticism not to mention how into it the Japanese crowd got I've never seen them get that into a match.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="guyver3" data-cite="guyver3" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="40971" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>How did I know it would be ospreay vs ricochet before even opening it. I'm no Japanese wrestling expert but I wouldn't really call that a Japanese style match. I don't want to come off like Vader or others who are blasting the match but it was way too spotty for me. Don't get me wrong it was great to watch and shows incredible skill and athleticism not to mention how into it the Japanese crowd got I've never seen them get that into a match.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> oh psychology was established as non existent after the initial lockup but i couldn't help but suspend my disbelief and just enjoy what they did. I never heard a Japanese crowd lose there composure within the first minute let alone the entire length like that. I hope that went on last because if that were me performing I would be pissed to have to go out after that.</p>

• 6 months later...
I'm resurrecting this thread to express my love for Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada.

We're only four days into 2017 and I'm pretty much positive nothing else stands a chance for MOTY.

I wouldn't go that far on it, I did really enjoy it though. I felt like the first...15 minutes though, could have been done a bit better. For me, that was just way to slow and formulaic, and seemed to be killing time just to be able to say "what an epic 40+ minute match!" and cross off the length check box.

The last 20 minutes or so, though, was INSANE and amazing. To be clear i loved the match, and agree it's up there for a MOTY candidate, but not sure it's unbeatable.

I did really enjoy how Omega didn't hit his finisher, rather than just trade kick outs.

Other bookers take note, if you have a guy kick out of an opponents finisher, and go on to lose after multiple finishers are needed and he never has his opponent "even the score" by kicking out of his finisher, you have made the loser's finishing move a HUGE deal for the rematch.

I expect that will be the basis of their eventual rematch, that if Omega can hit the One Wing, it's going to be a entirely different result.

Still need to see the IC title and Heavyweight title matches, but I loved dang near all of WK11.

New Japan Rumble- Fun opener. Billy Gunn doesn't age. Seeing Nakanishi and Hiro Saito brought a giant smile to my face.

Tiger Mask W vs Tiger the Dark- Was fine for what it was, but I know Kota and ACH are better than the performance they put on. I have a feeling they were told to hold back. I hate their masks though. They look like they're wearing stuffed animals on their heads. The masked workers in New Japan have some of the best looking masks and this is what the Tigers get stuck with?

Young Bucks vs RPG Vice- I'm not the biggest Bucks fan. I enjoy their work, I just think they're overrated. While I feel that Beretta and Rocky are criminally underrated. Super glad they won the titles. The finish was great. Fun match that outshined the Tiger match by a wide margin.

6 Man Title Gauntlet- Bushi and Sanada are two of my favorite acts in wrestling. I love Richochet and Kojima. Also quite fond of Will Ospreay, Jado, and Yoshi-Hashi. Can't stand EVIL though. Super pumped for Bushi and Sanada to hold gold. Fun time wasting match. Ospreay needs to slow the hell down big time though. He does a lot of impressive stuff, but nothing has time to set in.

Cody vs Juice Robinson- Decent enough outing for Cody's New Japan debut match. Not big on Juice but they worked well enough together and put on a solid match. Cody carries himself like a massive star. Can't wait to see what he does in the future.

Adam Cole vs Kyle O'Reilly- I hate Kyle so much. He's the epitome of vanilla midget. The Baybay stuff is overdone, but Cole winning was cool.

Three Way Tag Title match- I am a fan of pretty much everyone in this match except Yano. I hate Yano quite a bit. Not happy the Guerrillas lost the belts.

Kushida vs Takahashi- Must see match that makes both men look great. They also told a great story in the ring. Takahashi's moveset is spectacular to watch and Kushida is his usual great self.

Goto vs Shibata- Not exactly thrilled Shibata lost the belt, but hopefully this means he's going to be pushed farther. I love watching him work. Everything he does looks like it has a purpose. Another match I recommend seeing.

Going to watch the IC and Heavyweight matches tonight.

<p>I wasn't the loving WK11 while watching, but looking back I loved it.</p><p> </p><p>

The best thing to me was the slow build. I liked how every belt was changing hands, really put pressure on the last few matches.</p><p> </p><p>

The first half of matches were pretty "meh" or stale.</p><p> </p><p>

Rumble- not even gonna really judge it</p><p> </p><p>

Tiger Mask- I get its a fine marketing match, but I haven't watched the anime. Its better than getting lots of commercials though for marketing like in US</p><p> </p><p>

Bucks vs Vice- Pleasantly surprised Vice won. The Bucks are overrated and overdone by now. I get it, you superkick and say suck it. It seems more and more of the IWC is sick of them also. Taking the belts off them helps NJPW as a whole though</p><p> </p><p>

6 man title- Was whatever. Richochet/Ospreay didn't get much time which was a little surprising.</p><p> </p><p>

Cody Rhodes- This was what it was, an ROH promotion match and a way to get a "big" American name on the card. Cody still feels so "weak" to me and doesn't scream star at all. His finishers are terrible and he comes off as a really boring guy to me trying hard to not be boring.</p><p> </p><p>

ROH World title- Not a O'Reilly fan, was surprised Cole won title back since he's expected to go to WWE when contract expires, but then I read today its expected O'Reilly goes to WWE also who's contract is up first. The wife likes Cole and saying BAY-BAY so he's good in my books.</p><p> </p><p>

Tag titles- Thought it was weird to take belts of GOD, BC is looking pretty weak now in NJPW. Also not a fan of a "joker" getting the titles, when NJPW overall is much more serious than WWE</p><p> </p><p>

Jr HW title- Thought it was a good match and really like Takahashi, his flair makes him stand out</p><p> </p><p>

Never Openweight- Not a big fan of either so I wasn't invested in the match really</p><p> </p><p>

IC- Great match, great build. Was nice to Tanahashi play the bad guy a little bit at times. Naito is really fun so was cool he won.</p><p> </p><p>

HW title- Match was amazing and deserves the credit its getting and the crazy 6* rating. There were probably 3-5 holy shit moments. Yet the guys just kept going. Usually after a big moment, guys lay around for 5 minutes, or its a multiperson match to give guys a break. These two just went crazy on one another, made it feel like a real battle and good back and forth without being cheesy. Only criticism is how many finishers Okada hit, like 4 Rainmakers and 3 tombstones? Would have rather scene Kenny escape more or Okada use different moves to "turn the tide".</p><p> </p><p>

Disappointing Kenny didn't' win but his time will come and he's proven to be the biggest draw in global wrestling right now. The amount of interested in WK11 bc of him is insane.</p>