Why you love TEW

I've noticed a lot of posts lately and see a trend. For the majority of people here who play TEW it's their favourite game. Why?

For me it's a combination of wrestling which I love and the type of sim Adam has created. I love the depth, I love the variety of customisation, I love the dedication to the fan base from a lone developer and I love the creative freedom TEW opens for an imaginative mind. My favourite game used to be the Civ series, then the Elder Scrolls series, then MMO's but since TEW '10 my favourite and go to game is TEW.

Just interested if TEW is your favourite game, if so (or if not) why?

The depth and the lore itself -- the level of intricacy present within the game and the malleability of it -- so that others can mod it relatively easily.

The replay-ability aspect is absolutely tremendous and the designs are simple enough that I customize them myself and be happy with the results.

Honestly, it is relatively simple but there are very few games like it.

I got into the series when I was a mad wrestling fan, it was great fun being able to run the wrestling business and TEW was easily the most detailed game with the most longevity (which is what I love about good sim games).

I haven't followed wrestling since around 2008/9 but still find myself coming back to TEW, it's just the best.

I love wrestling

I love wrestling stats

Ive been a wrestler (still do it part time)

I have loved EWD, EWR, TEW as long as I can remember 2000 until now.

Its the closest thing to football manager, I would say its better now as I have not played football manager for the past few years.

So in-depth and fun, plus modding is my hobby when im bored :)

I would say that TEW is probably the 3rd best simulator in sports behind OOTP and Football Manager. The depth involved is close to none.

It is also the only game where i actually care about the in game default universe. In fact, with my lack of interest in real wrestling these days, i care more about what will happen in the Cornellverse than i do about the real world!

I usually spend about a week or more simply fiddling around with just the editor! Most games i do not spend that long on the game itself.

TEW always seems to get a serious upgrade every time round. A lot of the GD games are improved with each version, but not to the extent that TEW is. The feature list looks very impressive this time as well.

Adam is also a guy i know since the original EWR, i have been following him since 1999 and have been a forum member since 2005. One thing is certain that he puts the effort to get things right. None of his projects end up incomplete and even if there are a few bugs initially, most usually get sorted out within a couple of months. He also updates the games for a good 2+ years after they are developed, which is more than most people do these days.

I love wrestling. I love business/sports simulation games.

That's really all there is to it. This series is really one of the best, not just of wrestling games but of business/sports simulation games in general.

If someone came out with a movie/television simulator with the same depth and scope of this series (I've yet to play one that ever hooked me for as long as this series, I always exhaust the options or become frustrated by the limitations), then it might knock this one out for the title of my favourite game.

I'll never run out of things to do!

That's really all there is to it. This series is really one of the best, not just of wrestling games but of business/sports simulation games in general.

I highly agree with this statement. I haven't watched wrestling actively in like 9 years. I used to watch the Rumble match & the whole Mania, but haven't done even that for years. On top of that, I didn't even watch it for that long to have me interested in an average wrestling game.

Someone called TEW 'simple', which in my mind is a gross underestimation. The game is so complex that even after several years of playing, you still find out new things. I've modded ever since I started playing TEW back in TEW08 days. One could think by now, one would know nearly everything :p

In TEW, I find extremely interesting to construct a TV show basically. Organizing everything like a Cosa Nostra capo, then watching it all happen :D I only play a few games, with TEW being one of them. They differ in the respect that I feel that I know "the best way" to play the other games and usually pay attention to do exactly that. With TEW comes the realization that you have to plan for a goal and that it usually takes a while to reach it. But once you do, it's extremely satisfying even if the game itself is not the most adrenaline pumping!

Like someone else here mentioned, I'm a fan of management simulators, particularly sports simulators. I love OOTP, and getting into their hockey offering. Never got into Football Manager despite it being, by all accounts excellent, because I can't say I'm terribly into football. I blame it on being an uncultured North American :p

But I also love professional wrestling, so a management sim crossing over with pro wrestling was a gimme. What I enjoy about TEW is that it gives me what I was missing from games like the WWE series of games, or even something like a Fire Pro Wrestling - the ability to tell my own pro wrestling stories. There are usually career modes for the WWE games now, but even if they are branching, they're still someone else's story. TEW gives me the tools tell pro wrestling stories that I dream up, which makes it a creative endeavor that not even something like OOTP can replicate.

I also love how it manages to make very clear and present things I know but take for granted about professional wrestling, and actually humbles me out of smarkdom. It reminds me that it is impossible for every single member of a promotion to be a star, even if they have talent. It reminds me of just how incredibly important it is to have solid midcard talent that win enough so that a win against a midcarder is a sign of someone being main event caliber, and how important it is to have enhancement talent to put over the midcard. It reminds me that what makes "good wrestling" is entirely dependent upon what the needs of a story are, what unique skills a worker has, and the way a company operates. And I see how easy it is to fall in love with a worker's potential and spend a ton of time trying to get them over, only for that damned destiny roll to limit someone who I think ought to be a megastar.

I enjoy sim games like Age of Empires, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Footy manager, Civ, Total War. I have also been a fan of wrestling since 1991 etc so when 10 or so years ago I found EWR, that mixed my love of sims and my love of wrestling then I hit the jackpot.

I was looking for help for mods or something for EWR and I across this forum an TEW 07? OR 05 or something, tried it and loved it. EWR was very good but TEW was just next level stuff an took a while to get the hang of it and plenty of "creative" tweaking in the editors until I got the hang of the games.

Someone called TEW 'simple', which in my mind is a gross underestimation. The game is so complex that even after several years of playing, you still find out new things. I've modded ever since I started playing TEW back in TEW08 days. One could think by now, one would know nearly everything :p

But that is one of if not THE most beautiful things about TEW, it can be as Simple, or as complex, as the player wants. Everything from a zero effort watcher game to building your own universe from scratch is perfectly possible and absolutely enjoyable. Very few games have ever offered that level of flexibility.

Before I was introduced to EWD by the same friend who introduced me to e-feds I was a football manager fan. But I was never a huge fan of football or sports in general, my first love was always wrestling so finding a game where I could tell wrestling stories combined with football manager style management was like finding the holy grail to me. This was in the tail end of high school, which is half a life time ago for me now but I play as much, if not more, TEW now then I did back then because it does all the things I want it to do and more.

I've always liked to tell stories but I used to be fairly bad at executing my ideas, something that TEW has helped me greatly with over the years, along with reading many of the great dynasties over the years. From relatively simple ones like Welcome To The Coastal Zone, to Self's various excellent dynasties (particularly CGC) to Mark Cuban taking over DAVE, there have been so many and I feel that each time I read something there I expand my own knowledge and ability to understand wrestling in ways I never knew before. Through TEW and GDS I've even been able to get an understanding of puro and lucha libre, something I doubt I'd have been able to do anywhere else.

And the best bit of all for me now, is that every time I learn more I am in a position to help turn that knowledge into a game feature thanks to Adam himself, who takes the time to read through all the ideas I throw at him and finds ways to make them bigger, better and more in depth. So every TEW that comes out now makes me even happier to be around, knowing that I've contributed in many ways to the things I love doing and thanks to the many people who make it even more fun with their contributions.

So all these creative outlets and fun things are what make me love TEW. I can't wait for the full release of the game because I've been having so much fun helping Adam along with it so far and working on the CV97 mod in the process, my own little piece of pride and joy. :)

I believe I'm so passionately in love with this game because of the many ways you can enjoy it. It probably was never meant to be something you could sit around a table and play with a bunch of friends. But, if you made it that experience then it can be extremely enjoyable. A group of internet friends and myself have played TEW for years but, when we met in real life, sitting down and booking it was a whole new experience. We've played it off of my "supercomputer" (that I could run GTA V on Ultra but still have months worth of hours into TEW) using teamviewer. A generation of people that don't typically record videos on Youtube helped to give them the confidence to showcase how they would book a show. I think we're at a peak for the series because guys like Vince Russo are starting to get back into it and help spread its' popularity. But for me, I believe Total Extreme Wrestling is about the experience you want it to be. It could be a game I could sit down on my tablet and play in the comfort of my bed. A group of friends could come over and we could fix WCW in about 12 hours. Or, we could sit on a Skype chat for days battling out fictional wars between DBZ & Naruto thanks to all the different mods, rather you are into the default universe or the most extreme databases that alter reality so Edge could go one-on-one with Seth Rollins, in War of the Immortals. Adam Ryland gave us the foundation of the game and the community provided the pallet for the user to create something unique to themselves!

I don't know that it's my favorite but it's the one I enjoy playing the most. It is by far the best value in a game I have ever spent money on; it continues to provide to this day. It allows a fun creative outlet that fills a very specific niche and scratches that itch perfectly.

It's an RPG to be set on top of a database. I'm a monster for data so I feel like it was built for me.

For me it's probably just the journey that I've had with games by Adam. One day I just randomly stumbled across EWR and downloaded it. It was the first time I had ever played anything of it's kind (this was about early 2014, maybe even late 2013) and it was just so fascinating how I was in control of literally everything. Once I found updated mods for it, my journey just became that much better and I had literally the time of my life playing it. I searched on Youtube to see if other people play the game as well and a few EWR videos came up, but mostly TEW videos came up. I was intrigued so I clicked on some (Mostly Nikk/Astil's videos) and I was blown away. This led me to other people such as Rik/TotalTeamTalk. I knew I wanted this game. I bought it, had a terrible time trying to find out why US kept appearing inactive, because the game tells you to select which areas should be active, so naturally I selected USA but I was actually turning it off :p. I almost rage quit the game until I finally was able to figure out what I was doing wrong lmao. TEW2013 was extremely overwhelming for me as I was so used to the simplicity of EWR, (I even switched back to EWR from time to time because of this reason) but after managing things and taking it all in, I got used to the game and have loved it ever since. And yes, TEW without a doubt is my favorite game. I am absolutely AMPED to be a part of the community when TEW2016 releases! First day download and first day but when the dates come around. I cannot wait!! :D

To be honest, because it combines the things I love. Ever since I saw wrestling for the first time when I was 3 years old sitting on my grandmother's lap in front of our small TV with World Wrestling Council's "Superestrellas de la Lucha Libre" on I fell in love with it. While kids my age played with Mickey Mouse and whatnot my toys of choice where Carlos Colon and Abdullah the Butcher, who I would paint with red washable marker to simulate blood.

By the time I was 12 I was introduced to Capitalism Plus, a game about business management and economics. Two years later I was smart enough to figure out wrestling was fake and become very pissed when my favorites and the ones I felt where the most entertaining would lose the big matches. When I stumbled upon EWD and Baseball Mogul I fell in love with the text-based sim as it combined the two things I loved: wrestling (and baseball) and the managerial aspects of something like Capitalism Plus (but much simpler).

Since then I have played pretty much every text-based sim out there at least once, but have always gravitated to TEW because I feel is the best. Also because I am deeply in love with the C-verse fiction and my first day with the new games is usually spent reading EVERY FREAKING BIO until I am aware of all the changes.

I'm a complete stats geek. I love wrestling and sims and I love the open-endedness of TEW. I also love the fact that there is a game where, after watching years of wrestling, I can boot it up and say, "If I was the booker, this is how I would have done it."

My first pick up in the TEW series was Extreme Warfare Revenge and one of the immediate hooks for me (this is going to sound really stupid) was scrolling through the roster and literally shouting to my wife, "Oh my God, that's my friend from high school!" when I saw Lucifer Grimm.

I love TEW because it allows me to just escape from whatever stressful day or boring day I'm having. I can sink in a couple of hours a day into Madden or NBA 2K, but TEW is an entirely different beast. There's probably been an occasion or two where I've stayed up almost an entire day planning out a TEW game and executing the plan. Especially with AWF in the Thunderverse. I fell into the habit of "It's 12AM? Well, that's enough time for one more show" to "It's 6AM? Well...I should be going to sleep, but I can book at my B-show really quick."

The community also keeps me going. Whenever I don't have the inspiration or whatever to play a game, I can read how someone else's is going either in a dynasty format or just a general discussion post. The modding community is great too. iDOL's 2004 mod and the beautiful Thunderverse mod have both kept me going in TEW for ages. Especially the T-Verse. It's always fun to have played the mod for months and then find something new in someone's bio or finding a new, interesting wrestler completely.

The game works so well because real-life wrestling, even at it's peak, still had many thinks people believed to be wrong with it. It allows people to fix the problems they see with real-world promotions from the comfort of their own home.

It's also bloody addictive. I've been playing since the Extreme Warfare vs Promotion Wars days and it's still got me hooked.

Well I've been a wrestling fan for as long as I can remember. I have memories watching Wrestlemania 9 live back in 1993 when I would have been 6. As I grew older I got into sports management games, mainly via my older brother who was playing Championship Manager back then on the Amegia.

As I grew older I started to discover more football simulators, stuff like premier manager and obviously was living though the attitude era my wrestling fandown grew. Think I was around 15ish when I discovered wrestling simulators, crossing my love for sports management and wrestling seemed fun. So I started playing the early Simulators Promotion Wars and ERW. Loved the idea of setting up my own company, hiring people like Christopher Daniels before I really new who he was just based on his stats.

There from there went into the TEW series when it was released. Loved taking control of TNA or trying to keep WCW afloat and rival the big guns over in WWE. This game was a perfect fit off two different interests come together. I grew up on wrestling and this game lets me have the freedom to run my own promotion the way I want.

I've been a fan since I discovered EWR. I started with promotion wars and someone introduced me to EWR and I was hooked. I was probably 12 or 13 and it was amazing. I could book whatever I wanted. I learned everything about independent wrestling from EWR. It allowed me to develop a vast knowledge. I have purchased each TEW game since it started (2004 right? .500 or .400 studios produced it I believe) Each game has been great and each mod maker does a fantastic job.

I haven't watched wrestling since 2005 but TEW keeps my childhood of loving wrestling alive. Also, I get an idea of who is new in the wrestling world and who could be the future.

I accidentally fell in love with it with TEW 2004. At the time I thought it could get no better than EWR, and when I saw TEW 2004 was going to cost us money, I said "hell no". 12 years on and I do not regret changing my mind and buying that wonderous (at the time) game and every new release since.

I wouldn't say it is my favourite game (that changes regularly), but it is a top 3 mainstay and one that I love to play due to it's depth but mostly fo it's editor that can give you endless possibilities on the wrestling worlds you create that can give you fresh games over and over. TEW is by far worth every penny I have sunk into each release (sometimes buying multiple copies for different machines).

Another reason is that Adam doesn't release one every year with virtually no changes (unlike the now disappointing Football Manager Series) and when a new game comes out, the new features list is always insane in terms of number.

Archived