Death of the Territories

I had created a 1920s mod on TEW2013 for a watcher game and had some of the early pioneers in it. Researching the wrestlers is not a problem but accuracy of attributes etc will be. I might think about resurrecting it for 2016, depending on how things play out with the new features.

That sounds awesome! Would love to give something like this a go. Is there a way I can get my hands on the TEW13 mod?

Its on my computer somewhere, I went to the effort of getting worker pictures as well.

Will take a look when I get home tonight. Its fairly detailed, no tv stations open up until the 50s but there are "radio" replacements before then, for example.

It was basically Paul Bowser's 1920 Boston Territory, under the AWA name as it was then, and the roster of its time on there and the New York territory under Jack Curley (before the McMahons came and took it over). Set in the Gold Dust Trio era: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Dust_Trio

I did some bios. Everything else was planned to be organic, I was going to add in the 1970s, 1995 mods etc so workers would enter into the game eventually too but don't think I did that in the end.

There are some awesome stories in pre-war US pro wrestling. Alex Garkawienko's stories from the 1930s are my favourite. Mistakingly accepting a "cigarette" from someone at one of the shows, it was so harsh it actually knocked him out and he no-showed an event. The next thing he knew he woke up in Central Park a week later on a park bench :D Fans writing into newspapers back then was particularly interesting as well. A truly fascinating period in pro wrestling.

I've done some preliminary research and I'm really not sure when to start the mod. There appears to be a lot of love for 1983 (which I believe is the original DoTT start date). Or basically earlier than 1985.

Anyone care to explain why it's more appealing? Is it the availability of Hulkster, or the 'not-yet-too-powerful' McMahon. It just seems to me that the birth of Wrestlemania with Hogan already a household name would be awesome.

I am however happy to bend to the popular opinion.

As for basing it on other mods. I'm going to avoid doing that as much as I can, because I always find Frankenstein mods from others are messy and rarely consistent. That being said, I will likely pilfer TV channels and all that other background statistical info to reduce the workload.

Tsu - If you can help with the UK scene I'd be really happy. I have no knowledge or interest in that particular area, but would be good to include it if you fancy?

Things we need to make this happen:

A definitive start date

Japan Data

Mexico Data

Images (I presume following release there's going to be lots of these available anyway, so it's less urgent)

Bios (Is this still a thing, or does the game have capacity for auto-bios yet)

Full list of rosters (I'm guessing Obsessedwithwrestling is still the best place)

Am I missing something obvious?

No problem on trying to get a workable UK data set going for this. Researching 83 and 87 are nearly the same with regards workers, ie those not active in 83 become future workers anyway. I may have to keep Joint as one promotion, researching the split would fry my brain. Bios can be a mix of what was in DOTT and the Wrestling Heritage site. I'll look at Otto's Catch too, see what went on in 83.

You asked about missing anything, take a look in http://www.wrestlingdata.com as it's an Aladdins cave of information. Oh...January start month? Edit to add I see you confirmed the month further down.

Its on my computer somewhere, I went to the effort of getting worker pictures as well.

Will take a look when I get home tonight. Its fairly detailed, no tv stations open up until the 50s but there are "radio" replacements before then, for example.

It was basically Paul Bowser's 1920 Boston Territory, under the AWA name as it was then, and the roster of its time on there and the New York territory under Jack Curley (before the McMahons came and took it over). Set in the Gold Dust Trio era: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Dust_Trio

I did some bios. Everything else was planned to be organic, I was going to add in the 1970s, 1995 mods etc so workers would enter into the game eventually too but don't think I did that in the end.

There are some awesome stories in pre-war US pro wrestling. Alex Garkawienko's stories from the 1930s are my favourite. Mistakingly accepting a "cigarette" from someone at one of the shows, it was so harsh it actually knocked him out and he no-showed an event. The next thing he knew he woke up in Central Park a week later on a park bench :D Fans writing into newspapers back then was particularly interesting as well. A truly fascinating period in pro wrestling.

That sounds really great. I took the 1970s mod and added in tons of future workers from the '83 mod up until to early 2000s, but this sounds even better.

I'll be taking another look at my 1920s mod over the weekend if I have time, and I'm busy today.

That said, when the demo drops I will have other projects taking priority, but that doesn't mean I can't get this in a state for general release at some point. Some of the new features may mean some things on the mod can change as well.

Right I'm working my way through the data from D. Boon (with additions from Alvarus) and adapting it ready for testing. There's a lot.

One thing that always bothered me about DOTT was the images, so I'm trying to work my way through every wrestler and give them a standardised image on background. I'm starting with WWF wrestlers before moving onto Mid-Atlantic and AWA. If anyone else would like to help it will help with speed.

This is the background I'm using and then adding a 1pixel black 'stroke' edge in Photoshop.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/bobinc/TEW%20Pics/WMBackground.jpg

So if someone wants to take a promotion and do the workers from that one for me, it'll be appreciated. Try to get them 1983 specific.

Right I'm working my way through the data from D. Boon (with additions from Alvarus) and adapting it ready for testing. There's a lot.

One thing that always bothered me about DOTT was the images, so I'm trying to work my way through every wrestler and give them a standardised image on background. I'm starting with WWF wrestlers before moving onto Mid-Atlantic and AWA. If anyone else would like to help it will help with speed.

This is the background I'm using and then adding a 1pixel black 'stroke' edge in Photoshop.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/bobinc/TEW%20Pics/WMBackground.jpg

So if someone wants to take a promotion and do the workers from that one for me, it'll be appreciated. Try to get them 1983 specific.

For the UK workers, I must admit I've always just preferred a match pic or whatever is available...screen cap from youtube even. It'd be a nightmare to try getting just the worker layered on top of any background in so many cases.

Looking forward to having the test data.

Archived