Licensing FAQ

Licensing FAQ

IMPORTANT Please be aware that there are two types of license used by TEW2016 and you should only read the part of the FAQ relating to your type. If you purchased the game prior to 13th December 2022 then you will be using the Elicense system. If you purchased the game from that point onwards then you will be almost certainly be using the QLM system. If you are unsure which you are using, there are several ways of checking: you can look at the company name on your receipt; look at your license code (Elicense codes will start with the letters 'VT' while QLM codes will be a 25 character code that looks like 'XXXX0-X0X0X-XX0XX-X0XXX-0X0XXX'); or look in your game's folder (if you're using Elicense you will see a file called elicen40.dll, whereas if you're using QLM there will be a file called QlmLicenseWizard.exe).

QLM License FAQ

"How many computers can I have my license on?"

Your license can be active on only one computer at a time. You can freely move it to another computer as often as you want as long as you deactivate it first. To deactivate, you can either click the License Management button on the game's title screen or use the support form outlined in the following answer...

"I need to deactivate my license OR I have forgotten / lost my license code OR I need to recover some information about my license..."

If you visit THIS PAGE you will find a support form that allows you to manually activate, deactivate, recover or gain information about your license.

In the unlikely event that you need further assistance, please contact Scott Vibert (scott@greydogsoftware.com) directly for help.

Elicense License FAQ

The Basics
ELicense is the software that protects the game from piracy. Prior to December 13th 2022 this was the method used for TEW2016, but since then we now use QLM; this does not affect customers using the old method, it is still supported, you just can't purchase new licenses under that system. When you purchase the game you are given a license code (this is also known as the "order ID" and will usually start with the letters "VT-"); this unlocks the game and allows you to play it. You should keep these details safe and never give them out to anybody (other than Grey Dog's Scott Vibert if it is necessary for technical support).

Please note that:

1 - You get one license per purchase

2 - Each license can be used on multiple machines but can only be active on one PC at a time

3 - The license is a separate item to the game; uninstalling the game does NOT remove the license, that can only be done through unlicensing.

Frequently Asked Questions

"How do I move my license from one computer to another?"

You must first unlicense the game from the original computer (see next question), then you simply run TEW2016 on the new computer and give your license code when prompted.

"How do I unlicense the game?"

- Right-click on the shortcut you use to launch the game.
- Go to properties
- Go to the target box and at the end of the current entry add: -unlicense
- Press apply and OK to exit
- Double click to launch the game. You will see the order ID and below there will be a box you can use to unlicense.

Alternatively, you can do the same thing as above in a slightly different way by using the command prompt method to unlicense it. Create a folder called Test on your hard drive and copy and paste TEW2016.exe and elicen40.dll from your normal TEW folder into it. Go to your Windows Start menu and select Run. Then type "cmd" (without the quotation marks) and press enter. You will see a command prompt. Type

"C:\Test\TEW2016.exe" -unlicense

This will unlicense the game. Notice that there is a space after the final quotation mark, and that there is no space between the dash and the word "unlicense".

"I am being told that my license cannot be activated as it is already in use?"

This means that your license is still active on another computer. The most common cause of this is that the license was automatically installed on the computer where you purchased the game. You need to unlicense it before continuing.

"I can't seem to license or unlicense and am using a multi-monitor set-up..."

If you move the game between your monitors you should be able to resolve this issue [we're not clear on what the root cause is or why this solution works].

"I had a hard disk crash \ my computer got wiped \ I no longer have access to my old computer, what happens to my license?"

Your license has been "locked" onto that machine. You will need to contact Scott (scott@greydogsoftware.com) to have it unlocked. Ideally, you should include your license code ("order ID") or, if you don't have this, your name and the last four digits (last four only!) of the card you used to purchase the game.

"How do I license the game on a computer with no Internet access?"

You can license it on a computer without internet access using a text based license. Install the game on the computer without internet access, when you go to license the game it will give you an option for offline licensing. Follow the on screen instructions, of course you will need a computer with internet access to go through the procedure, however you won't need internet access on your laptop.

"I have read through the FAQ and have not been able to solve my issue."

All licensing issues are handled by Grey Dog Software's Scott Vibert ("Scott at greydogsoftware dot com"). Please contact him by e-mail (preferably) or private message, giving him details of your problem. Ideally, you should include your license code ("order ID") or, if you don't have this, your name and the last four digits (last four only!) of the card you used to purchase the game.