Matt's Mods

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

playing the Beta, and damn is 16 hard on companies. I've simmed to Sept 1986 and the list of closed promotions is staggering:

ASWA, ASW, AGPW, CCW, CWA, ECWA, IWA, MSW, NWA:ASW, PNW, TASW, UWF:J, WWA and WWC.

and not one promotion above Cult yet. Gonna keep on going to 92 until ECW opens :)

EDIT: just a random thought, but should Owen Hart be based in The Maritimes?

playing the Beta, and damn is 16 hard on companies. I've simmed to Sept 1986 and the list of closed promotions is staggering:

ASWA, ASW, AGPW, CCW, CWA, ECWA, IWA, MSW, NWA:ASW, PNW, TASW, UWF:J, WWA and WWC.

and not one promotion above Cult yet. Gonna keep on going to 92 until ECW opens :)

EDIT: just a random thought, but should Owen Hart be based in The Maritimes?

So other than no promotions getting above Cult in Sept 1986, it seems like the mod is playing true to life with all the closures. :p

I tried making it to where not just any company could sign up with zillions of broadcasters, but I wonder if setting them for broadcasters that have companies on their airwaves is hurting them because of having to up their production values. Or it could be some workers having travel costs covered (which I tried only giving to workers who were based out of the company's region). Anybody have any thoughts?

Also, I seem to remember it being very tough to get above Cult in the previous iteration back on TEW 2013. I'm sure it's somehow connected with the game world importance settings. If anyone has a clue on how to get that fixed so that a company like the WWF can reach National after having success, feel free to chime in.

As for Owen, I've kept him in Alberta for now because he's probably best associated with the Stampede promotion. I could consider changing it if the Maritimes territory is where he was working most of the time in this time period.

So other than no promotions getting above Cult in Sept 1986, it seems like the mod is playing true to life with all the closures. :p

I tried making it to where not just any company could sign up with zillions of broadcasters, but I wonder if setting them for broadcasters that have companies on their airwaves is hurting them because of having to up their production values. Or it could be some workers having travel costs covered (which I tried only giving to workers who were based out of the company's region). Anybody have any thoughts?

Also, I seem to remember it being very tough to get above Cult in the previous iteration back on TEW 2013. I'm sure it's somehow connected with the game world importance settings. If anyone has a clue on how to get that fixed so that a company like the WWF can reach National after having success, feel free to chime in.

As for Owen, I've kept him in Alberta for now because he's probably best associated with the Stampede promotion. I could consider changing it if the Maritimes territory is where he was working most of the time in this time period.

oh that post wasn't a knock on you, I think this thing is playing fantastic. I was just surprised at how many went under in just over a year and a half haha.

and I asked about Owen because in the game that's where his profile says he's based in, but there is no news story about him relocating there.

I wonder if it says that because in the editor he's just said to be based in Canada and the first promotion he got signed to was Atlantic Grand Prix...

oh that post wasn't a knock on you, I think this thing is playing fantastic. I was just surprised at how many went under in just over a year and a half haha.

and I asked about Owen because in the game that's where his profile says he's based in, but there is no news story about him relocating there.

I wonder if it says that because in the editor he's just said to be based in Canada and the first promotion he got signed to was Atlantic Grand Prix...

I know it wasn't a knock on me. I was just carrying conversation. Sorry for the misunderstanding. ^_^

I do wonder if I should make things a bit easier, or just leave it as is since it seems to be playing out like it did in real life. The only thing that I think I might want to tinker with would be making it to where a company such as the WWF, All Japan or New Japan can get above Cult before the end of 1986 (almost two years later).

As for the Owen thing, now I have to check the data because I thought I put him in Alberta. :o Thanks for the heads up! :)

Just started up a game and noticed that Jim Cornette has two relationships that wouldn't come until later. His dislike of George Scott and friendship with Bob Caudle both came after the he and the Midnight Express joined JCP, which was later in '85.

Ah, good catch. I'm trying to remember how I put that in there. I might have imported it from another mod, not sure. Thank you, kind sir!

Also, I noticed that you have several teams in the database that are yet to debut. I see the purpose of that, but did you also intend for them to have tag experience? The Rockers, Badd Company, and Hollywood Blondes (Austin and Pillman) were 3 that I saw. I would argue that it would be best to leave the formation year blank for any yet to debut teams and also start them with 0 tag experience. This mod is a blast, by the way!

Tag teams are definitely on my to-do list. The reasoning behind some of the big name yet to debut tag teams having experience was to prevent them from having bad chemistry dragging them down, an idea that I want to say was Jaysin's, but I can't remember. I figured that was the best compromise as I didn't want to overload the chemistry section (which will also be given a second look). I could just give Austin & Pillman great chemistry as a tag team partners and just not put the team in. Ditto for Brian Armstrong & Billy Gunn.

Tag teams are definitely on my to-do list. The reasoning behind some of the big name yet to debut tag teams having experience was to prevent them from having bad chemistry dragging them down, an idea that I want to say was Jaysin's, but I can't remember. I figured that was the best compromise as I didn't want to overload the chemistry section (which will also be given a second look). I could just give Austin & Pillman great chemistry as a tag team partners and just not put the team in. Ditto for Brian Armstrong & Billy Gunn.

I would leave the teams, just give them 0 experience, so it will grow organically. I would add chemistry for the great ones (Rockers, New Age Outaws, Hart Foundation, Road Warriors). I don't know if adding the chemistry between partners makes the AI any more likely to utilize them that way if the team is not in the database. The formation date is purely cosmetic, so is not a big deal. Some mods will have the accurate formation date even if the team joins up before through gameplay. For example, having the New Age Outlaws formation date set as 1997, even though it is only 1995 in the mod (not citing any mod in particular)

I always thought the way chemistry worked was "they do better together than apart" which for me absolutely fits the New Age Outlaws. Billy Gunn and Brian Armstrong were never as over or as good apart as they were together. However Austin and Pillman were both big deals before they got together and were even bigger after they split. I honestly don't think they need chemistry or a tag history. It would suck to get hit with a "they have bad chemistry" note but then if we're afraid of that it seems like we'd have to go through and put all sorts of combinations together. I just don't personally feel like the Hollywood Blondes were together long enough or impactful enough to worry about chemistry or putting them with any sort of tag exp. But what do I know I'm just a simple hyperchicken from a backwoods asteroid :)

I always thought the way chemistry worked was "they do better together than apart" which for me absolutely fits the New Age Outlaws. Billy Gunn and Brian Armstrong were never as over or as good apart as they were together. However Austin and Pillman were both big deals before they got together and were even bigger after they split. I honestly don't think they need chemistry or a tag history. It would suck to get hit with a "they have bad chemistry" note but then if we're afraid of that it seems like we'd have to go through and put all sorts of combinations together. I just don't personally feel like the Hollywood Blondes were together long enough or impactful enough to worry about chemistry or putting them with any sort of tag exp. But what do I know I'm just a simple hyperchicken from a backwoods asteroid :)

Well you're already doing better than me. I'm just a little dollar size pancake from Texas. :p

Like I said, chemistries will be looked at, and some will be deleted.

The formation date is purely cosmetic, so is not a big deal. Some mods will have the accurate formation date even if the team joins up before through gameplay.

I have the historical formation year (when available) for all my teams, even the yet-to-debut ones. The reason for that is that I like it as part history lesson, part set of guidelines in case you want to follow history somewhat in terms of when teams were formed. And it's not like the game will auto-fill the field with the correct ingame year of formation if you leave it blank - so it's historical formation or nothing. Personally, I like it. :)

However Austin and Pillman were both big deals before they got together and were even bigger after they split. I honestly don't think they need chemistry or a tag history. It would suck to get hit with a "they have bad chemistry" note but then if we're afraid of that it seems like we'd have to go through and put all sorts of combinations together. I just don't personally feel like the Hollywood Blondes were together long enough or impactful enough to worry about chemistry or putting them with any sort of tag exp.

Yes, Austin and Pillman got much, much bigger later on on their own. But that was after they became household names, after they got over as a tag team. Their short but successful tag team stint is part of the reason why they got so over later on - and their early success as a team came at a time when both were pretty much just irrelevant lower midcarders. I'd say some positive chemistry could be warranted for these two.

I would argue for Austin and Pillman to have at least a neutral pre-set chemistry as both partners and opponents. They do fall under the heading of "two good workers together" which is the idea to not give them chemistry, but they did work so well together that it made their A games shine that much more.

And I maintain that people like these two, also two like Bret and Owen, also like the Clique, etc etc etc, should have chemistry like that until the day that having a friendship causes two workers to work better together. Because that's the real reason why guys like Austin and Pillman and Shawn and Nash worked so well together - because they had fun working with one another.

I would argue for Austin and Pillman to have at least a neutral pre-set chemistry as both partners and opponents. They do fall under the heading of "two good workers together" which is the idea to not give them chemistry, but they did work so well together that it made their A games shine that much more.

And I maintain that people like these two, also two like Bret and Owen, also like the Clique, etc etc etc, should have chemistry like that until the day that having a friendship causes two workers to work better together. Because that's the real reason why guys like Austin and Pillman and Shawn and Nash worked so well together - because they had fun working with one another.

I do agree with this approach the whole "being friends makes them work better together". I think a lot of tag teams have the whole "better together than apart" thing going for them. Even The Road Warriors. Hawk was a good talker and might have gotten over but Animal would have been another big strong guy in an era filled with them. What made them so over was them being a team. The Nasty Boys the same way. No way Knobbs or Saggs get a cup of coffee anywhere near the big time apart from one another. But the gimmick, the chemistry as a team, etc.

Gotta love the chemistry debate, and the selling debate, and the charisma debate, aaaaand the body debate, and the overness debate, and the psychology debate, and the sex appeal debate, aaaaand.....haha :)

So I know stats are subjective, and we really shouldn't be arguing about them, but I feel with the new National Battle system, Star Quality really needs to be addressed.

The following ACTIVE MALE WRESTLERS all have EXACTLY 85 on Day 1:

- Billy Jack Haynes

- Dos Caras

- Dr. Wagner

- Dusty Rhodes

- Genichiro Tenryu

- Kendo Nagasaki

- Negro Casas

- Paul Orndorff

- Perro Aguayo

- Randy Savage

- Rayo de Jalisco (52 years old, unemployed)

- Road Warrior Animal

- Road Warrior Hawk

- Scott Hall

- Tatsumi Fujinami

- The Great Kokina

Now, surely some things are out of whack here. I would argue Savage should be at least 90, Animal and Hawk should be around 70 (tag team workers, not main event superstars), Rayo de Jalisco should probably be lower at this point in his career, and Billy Jack Haynes should be nowhere near this list.

Also, something called Steve DiSalvo has an 80?

Honestly, Matt, I'm not calling you out, I just want to make sure these aren't errors that you want to address. If that is your opinion on things, I will happily accept that and steal Kerry Von Erich and Rick Rude instead. :D

Steve DiSalvo was probably an oversight. I think what got him looks was his size and menace. Although like justtxyank said, he made a name for himself in Puerto Rico, and I believe in Stampede, as well. It didn't help him that he was a malcontent that hated the business. Macho Man should definitely be higher. The Road Warriors I would probably take down to around the lower 70s, maybe 70 max because it was definitely their menace, size and charisma that got them over.

The Japanese workers were done by Oyaji back when the mod was being made for TEW 2013, before the new National Battle system. Though like Remi said in the National Battle thread, with the Japanese stars, it was more like "This guy looks like he could kick ass" rather than "This guy looks like a star in the making."

Rayo de Jalisco was an oversight. :o Billy Jack Haynes could be a toss up. There was a reason that many promoters felt he was a can't miss prospect and Vince gave him a second chance (his '87 run that saw him feud with Hercules) after he left early from his first WWF run in, I want to say '84 or '85. It was just that his personal habits and the fact that he was a raving lunatic that kept him from becoming a star. I could lower it to 80 or 75, though.

Ditto to all your other findings, so those will be addressed. When the National Battle system was announced, I figured star quality would have to be looked at as well. Thank you and everyone else for their findings and feedback so far. That's why I thought releasing a beta was a good idea. :cool:

EDIT: Lowest I'll probably go for Orndorff as far as star quality is concerned is 80. There's a reason his feud with Hulk Hogan was one of the highest grossing of that time period, if not of all time.

I have no problems with the Japanese guys. They are legends who were legitimate stars well into the future, so no problems there. And, to be perfectly honest with you, I'm not very familiar with Haynes or DiSalvo.

Those were just my general thoughts. I could be wrong, and perhaps I simply don't have enough knowledge regarding the general consensus at that particular time, which would be understandable, since my parents hadn't met yet lol.