Matt's Mods

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="soxfan93" data-cite="soxfan93" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41212" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That's where I have issues with my abilities to properly rate people. I wouldn't put Shawn Michaels any higher than 85, and I have a hard time rating Hall ahead of him.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Hall oozed star quality(and machismo). Michaels looked like a random guy you could meet anywhere. Obviously Michaels became a bigger star, but by all accounts, Hall had a better look, more charisma, and was so effortlessly cool, that his star quality should be through the roof.</p>

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Here's the deal. </p><p> </p><p>

If HBK and Hall were of equal talent and personality, every promoter in the world would push Hall over HBK. HBK was never pegged as a future superstar. He earned it with performance. Hall is a guy that was pegged as someone who could be the guy by every promoter who ever looked at him. He got or was going to get top tier singles pushes in Puerto Rico, AWA, WCW and the WWF. Hulk Hogan thought Hall was the best "star" he had ever seen when he first saw him.</p>

Matt, i don't want to sound like i'm complaining or something, but there's any chance that for the company logos in the Risky Business mod you can use company logos instead of photos of wrestling shows and captions featuring the titles? I don't feel like i'm playing a wrestling company when i'm playing WCCW or any other of the regional companies that aren't AWA, JCP or WWF.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LordofGustav" data-cite="LordofGustav" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41212" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Matt, i don't want to sound like i'm complaining or something, but there's any chance that for the company logos in the Risky Business mod you can use company logos instead of photos of wrestling shows and captions featuring the titles? I don't feel like i'm playing a wrestling company when i'm playing WCCW or any other of the regional companies that aren't AWA, JCP or WWF.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Can you post an example of what you mean? A picture from the mod of a company logo that you don't like?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="justtxyank" data-cite="justtxyank" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41212" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Can you post an example of what you mean? A picture from the mod of a company logo that you don't like?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Let's say that i don't like things like...</p><p> </p><p> This...</p><p> <span>http://i67.tinypic.com/29yl7qx.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i68.tinypic.com/2cygy2p.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i63.tinypic.com/29z4znq.jpg</span></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LordofGustav" data-cite="LordofGustav" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41212" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Let's say that i don't like things like...<p> </p><p> This...</p><p> <span>http://i67.tinypic.com/29yl7qx.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i68.tinypic.com/2cygy2p.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i63.tinypic.com/29z4znq.jpg</span></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think they look great, but I understand why you'd prefer plain logos.</p>

Don't want to assist in derailing the thread but re: the Hall/Michaels debate. Scott Hall is in my eyes at least A for SQ and Michaels I would rate as low as C+. Shawn succeeded in spite of a lack of star quality. He had the mic skills, charisma and sex appeal to go with an outstanding in-ring, performance and physical skill set. Star Quality was the one thing he 'lacked' - but everything else made up for it in abundance.

<p>Just downloaded Risky Business and gave it a quick try. First impressions: I like the reduced roster for WWF. It was while playing the 13 version of this mod that I came up with the idea for the local jobber pool which I'm pleased to see has made it into the game as the hire local feature. That has undoubtadly been a key reason for the reduced roster and was very much needed.</p><p> </p><p>

I'd like to point out that I think Andre being obese is a bit unfair for 1985. Bulky, or flabby maybe. Mick Foley '99 is obese. John Tenta was obese. I think Andre '85 is probably his last half decent year. After that he goes downhill fast. Even at Wrestlmania V I'd say he wasn't obese, just very much unfit and unhealthy as is illness is becoming more obvious.</p>

Here's the deal.

If HBK and Hall were of equal talent and personality, every promoter in the world would push Hall over HBK. HBK was never pegged as a future superstar. He earned it with performance. Hall is a guy that was pegged as someone who could be the guy by every promoter who ever looked at him. He got or was going to get top tier singles pushes in Puerto Rico, AWA, WCW and the WWF. Hulk Hogan thought Hall was the best "star" he had ever seen when he first saw him.

It's a hard one to determine 'star quality' but I'd say hall had good entertainment skills but wouldn't say his star quality was and A, B+ at the most, if not a B, bret hart was bigger than both at his peak and had less star quality. HBK did have star quality, he was and is a bigger star than hall.

I suppose star quality is there to determine how big somebody can become without other skills. I'd say apart from the obvious (rock and hogan who I would say are pretty much A*) the other people with such high star quality are people like Yokozuna, Andre the giant. Yokozuna barely spoke and hardly wrestled, but was so over he became WWF champion at a time they didn't give it many people.

So Ramon and HBK I'd say we're around a B ish.

Matt, i don't want to sound like i'm complaining or something, but there's any chance that for the company logos in the Risky Business mod you can use company logos instead of photos of wrestling shows and captions featuring the titles? I don't feel like i'm playing a wrestling company when i'm playing WCCW or any other of the regional companies that aren't AWA, JCP or WWF.

Right now until the fully updated nGo pick pack is available, those pictures are what I have to work with for the logos.

Just downloaded Risky Business and gave it a quick try. First impressions: I like the reduced roster for WWF. It was while playing the 13 version of this mod that I came up with the idea for the local jobber pool which I'm pleased to see has made it into the game as the hire local feature. That has undoubtadly been a key reason for the reduced roster and was very much needed.

I'd like to point out that I think Andre being obese is a bit unfair for 1985. Bulky, or flabby maybe. Mick Foley '99 is obese. John Tenta was obese. I think Andre '85 is probably his last half decent year. After that he goes downhill fast. Even at Wrestlmania V I'd say he wasn't obese, just very much unfit and unhealthy as is illness is becoming more obvious.

Ironically enough, this was one of the things I was struggling with myself. Though I'll probably change to Bulky for the next release as Obese should probably be reserved for guys like Giant Haystacks and Yokozuna (during his WWF run).

In terms of running the beta now, which graphics pack should be used?

Justtxyank's nGo. All you really have to do is merge the networks and carriers into the Broadcasters folder, and you should be set. None of them overwrote each other from what I remembered.

<p>The updated nGo pack will be pretty expansive but there should be minimal overrites so mod makers won't have to do a lot of changes if they are already plug and play. </p><p> </p><p>

However, there will not be a simple "update" released as the amount of changes are too vast. It will be a full pick pack release. </p><p> </p><p>

There will be alternates for most logos so if you like the tv logo look you'll be happy, if you like the more formal logo look you'll be happy too.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="justtxyank" data-cite="justtxyank" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41212" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The updated nGo pack will be pretty expansive but there should be minimal overrites so mod makers won't have to do a lot of changes if they are already plug and play. <p> </p><p> However, there will not be a simple "update" released as the amount of changes are too vast. It will be a full pick pack release. </p><p> </p><p> There will be alternates for most logos so if you like the tv logo look you'll be happy, if you like the more formal logo look you'll be happy too.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> What, if any changes should we expect if? Mostly logos and such? Just thought I'd ask so I could plan accordingly.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Matt Shannon" data-cite="Matt Shannon" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41212" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>What, if any changes should we expect if? Mostly logos and such? Just thought I'd ask so I could plan accordingly.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Matt, it's mostly new content and then just adjusting of scale for content.</p><p> </p><p> Nothing is coming out and no logos are being replaced. So literally the pack should look exactly the same, just different scale for many and some sharpened up, and then you'll have the option to make changes.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Peter.1986" data-cite="Peter.1986" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41212" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>HBK did have star quality, he was and is a bigger star than hall. </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The thing is that HBK would never have gotten over as much as he did if he wasn't a fantastic in-ring performer. Without that, he wouldn't really have risen above the levels of, say, Sean Waltman.</p><p> </p><p> Whereas Scott Hall wasn't really all that special in the ring - but he had star quality coming out of both ears, which made his in-ring performance much less important.</p><p> </p><p> I agree that HBK is a bigger star than Hall - but not because he has more <em>star quality</em>. Those are two different things, in game terms.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hive" data-cite="Hive" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41212" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The thing is that HBK would never have gotten over as much as he did if he wasn't a fantastic in-ring performer. Without that, he wouldn't really have risen above the levels of, say, Sean Waltman.<p> </p><p> Whereas Scott Hall wasn't really all that special in the ring - but he had star quality coming out of both ears, which made his in-ring performance much less important.</p><p> </p><p> I agree that HBK is a bigger star than Hall - but not because he has more <em>star quality</em>. Those are two different things, in game terms.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This makes perfect sense. HBK is a really good looking dude, so sex appeal. He's one of the greatest performers of his or any other generation, so stats depending on the year are stellar. But yeah, as far as just glancing at him objectively knowing nothing else. He's a good looking regular guy where as Hall, all the layman have to do is look at him knowing nothing and automatically figure <em>"is he like a movie star or a football player or something?"</em></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hive" data-cite="Hive" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41212" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The thing is that HBK would never have gotten over as much as he did if he wasn't a fantastic in-ring performer. Without that, he wouldn't really have risen above the levels of, say, Sean Waltman.<p> </p><p> Whereas Scott Hall wasn't really all that special in the ring - but he had star quality coming out of both ears, which made his in-ring performance much less important.</p><p> </p><p> I agree that HBK is a bigger star than Hall - but not because he has more <em>star quality</em>. Those are two different things, in game terms.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> But isn't star quality also what helps set the pop cap? Aswell as the the speed of gains? </p><p> </p><p> Hall played a good character in razor Ramon and as Scott hall in NWO</p><p> HBK played a good character as 'the heartbreak kid' as 'the show stopper' as part of Dx. Everything HBK did he shone. But his star quality for the purpose of say should be about B. (Did shawn ever get to A pop status in game terms?)</p><p> </p><p> Scott hall however became big not because of star quality but because of his entertainment skills and his gimmick, his mic skills, charisma was higher than HBK, but his star quality wasn't higher (or if it was, it was slightly) I don't think he ever made it to A pop in game terms if you look back. The biggest thing about him was moving from one wrestling company to another, with Kevin Nash and having hulk hogan join. I don't think that's his 'star quality'</p><p> </p><p> But then again it all about opinions lol. Kevin Nash probably had more star quality than both because he had worse in ring and out of ring skills and still was as over as both at certain points.</p>

HBK was a huge star held back by the WWF's terrible product at the time. Whoever thought it was a good idea to give every wrestler a kayfabe career was a fool. On top of that, WCW was airing a gritty, realistic product in competition. In my humble opinion, HBK was the biggest star of the Kliq, but his environment worked to his detriment. He got some serious pops in his day though, and after his return. World Heavyweight Championship win at Survivor Series 2002. I get goosebumps whenever I hear that crowd. Be a shame to limit his star power because he didn't have "the look" when he eventually became a star in spite of it. It's a fine balancing act.

Bret hart was bigger than both at his peak

Bigger than both in what way? Popularity wise? Absolutely not. Hall was the founding father of the freaking nWo. Nothing Hart did ever came close to being as huge as the nWo and Hall was at WORST the third most over guy in that group. Hall's peak was much higher than Harts.

I'd say the same for HBK. I'd say they ran about even until the very end of HBK's first run but once DX hit HBK took off into the stratusphere popularity wise and he was just as over when he returned. Hart was the top guy for a while but at their very peaks both Hall and HBK were more over than Hart.

Bigger than both in what way? Popularity wise? Absolutely not. Hall was the founding father of the freaking nWo. Nothing Hart did ever came close to being as huge as the nWo and Hall was at WORST the third most over guy in that group. Hall's peak was much higher than Harts.

I'd say the same for HBK. I'd say they ran about even until the very end of HBK's first run but once DX hit HBK took off into the stratusphere popularity wise and he was just as over when he returned. Hart was the top guy for a while but at their very peaks both Hall and HBK were more over than Hart.

Regardless of what went off with the NWO, WCW may have been winning in the ratings but bret hart was still more popular than both HBK and Scott hall.

If you asked people to name you wrestlers in the mid 90's apart from the obvious hulk hogan, bret hart would have been one of the first names mentioned before Scott hall and even shawn Michaels (who wasn't far behind)

Bret and Shawn are probably the most interesting "rivalry" you can find, because they are both guys who didn't get over based on star quality at all. Yes, both were stars, but neither got there via anything like that. Both were charismatic in their own ways, with Shawn edging Bret out in mic skills. But at the same time, and this is what gets them over, is that Bret edges Shawn out in in-ring psychology and the technical skills while Shawn has far superior aerial and flashiness skill. So both are great in-ring, while not having the star quality that others would display.

I would say Hall should have better star quality than either of them, however his in-ring skills wouldn't be as good, and he would have some increasingly bad drug problems the further into his career the mod is set. Meanwhile a Kevin Nash would have the best star quality of them all, as well as the best menace - however the worst in-ring stats.