[RELEASE] - Cornellverse 1997 / CV97

Google Drive Download Link v1.04 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ox4yv5t0_ONnJNR1JoZzFWSWs/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-j29xZycllzYNvzQMfQ_ALw

Sendspace Download Link v1.04 - https://www.sendspace.com/file/iueq7f

===============

0. CONTENTS

===============

0. Contents

1. Scenario

2. Installation Instructions

3. Recommendations

4. Permission to Other Modders

5. With Thanks

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/DerekB83/cv97_zps4sm8g1md.png

===========

1. SCENARIO

===========

This is the CV97 V1.0 release for TEW2016, but you probably already know that since you downloaded it and all. :p

The scenario is set in January 1997, shortly after the debut of HGC in North America to be the first major competition to the SWF, utilising arguably the top two stars in the world in Sam Strong and Rip Chord to take the SWF on at their own game while drawing influences from other wrestling styles around the world. The SWF have been the only big game in town for so long that they still hold a monopooly on top stars, but with JK Stallings willing to throw money at his company to see the matches he wants to see, business is about to pick up.

Also in America is the East Coast Wars, with 4 different styles of promotion fighting it out for supremacy on the East Coast in a battle that DAVE historically won thanks, in part, to the debut of Nemesis. Each of the warring companies has their own strengths and weaknesses, but Nemesis generally proves to be the turning point for DAVE as they use his popularity, charisma, brawling and booking brilliance to outshine the other companies. The biggest challenge is to not only survive DAVE's Nemesis power play, but to also thrive whilst in the midst of highly competitive regional battle.

In Japan PGHW have been taking the country by storm over the last 6 months, bringing new stars to the forefront and mounting the first serious challenge to BHOTWG's dominance in a long time. GCG is once again in a rebuilding phase as the debuts of both PGHW and HGC has seen them raided for talent. Meanwhile BHOTWG themselves are recovering from the loss of some of their top heavyweight talents to PGHW and the devaluing of Motoichi Arikida as a figurehead. With Kudo and Kikkawa battling for dominance in the heavyweight division, the likes of the Elementals and Optimus spearhead a Junior division that has legendary levels of talents within it's ranks.

In Canada the Stones and the DeColts run the two largest companies with NOTBPW and CGC respectively. Each with very different styles that play to the strengths of their families, NOTBPW's longer history has seen them eat up more territory north of the border. While the two companies are on friendly terms for now it seems like only a matter of time before the two clash, particularly as HGC make moves into the Canadian market to find more talent for their already large and talented roster.

Around the world there are small promotions, each with their own unique challenges and styles. The only area without it's own promotion is Australia, but there are plentiful available workers in the region looking for an entrepreneur to take initiative and carve out a niche in the land down under. Indeed, each game area in the world has enough talent to be able to start new companies, with established veterans brought in from That 70s Mod and an array of varying levels of talented youngsters around to turn into stars.

Testing has shown that the world plays out well over the long term, with major companies growing in all of the major areas over time. The regionalised popularity for workers (first added in V2.0 in TEW13) also adds a level of challenge for small companies. Someone may be a star in the South West USA but that won't mean a lot if you are based in New England where they will have minimal overspill. This was introduced to balance out the difference between successful indy stars who tend to have a small territory compared to guys who have been seen nationally (more or less only indy veterans and former SWF talents).

So have fun with this, I know I've had fun making and testing it so far. And I intend to have a lot of fun playing it too, likely with either a Mexic or Japanese 0/0/0/0 company to begin with as I really like the way that both areas are set up to be ready to explode in future. :)

============================

2. INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

============================

Step 1: Before you do anything, go to the main game editor -> Create Database. Call it whatever you want but I'd call it "CV97" for ease of use.

Step 2: Take the files you have downloaded and use winzip, winRAR or 7Zip to extract them. You should then a folder containing the following ;

+ CV97 (folder): This is the data, paste this into the location you created CV97 before and it should be ready to play.

+ Banners 1997 (folder): Add the contents of this folder to your Pictures -> Default -> Banners folder.

+ Logos 1997 (folder): Add the contents of this folder to your Pictures -> Default -> Logos folder.

+ People 1997 (folder): Add the contents of this folder to your Pictures -> Default -> People folder.

With all of these images added you should have pictures for every worker and company in the game that doesn't come with the default Cornellverse. If you have followed these instructions and the pictures don't show for any reason, use the editor to go to Edit Database -> Database Info -> Picture Folder... you should just need to change this to "Default" as the game may have set it to "CV97", which can happen when you create a database in Step 1.

With all of this done, you should be able to fire up the game and get playing. Huzzah!

==================

3. RECOMMENDATIONS

==================

I don't think anyone ever reads this bit since it's all going to be personal preference anyways, but if you want to play this as a historical mod I'd suggest the following settings

+ New Worker Generation (OFF until about 2017, UNLESS you are using your own Dojo. In which case you will want a low setting for Graduates to appear)

+ Worker Regeneration (OFF until about 2013, UNLESS you are using your own Dojo. In which case you will want this ON for Graduates to appear)

The Helpful Documents folder has details of all the workers set to debut in the future, with at least two workers debuting every month for more than 20 years. However, since this would take away the fun of workers coming through your dojos and would miss out on the massively improved new worker generation features, turning on regens might not be a bad idea right from the off. In particular this could be fun to watch Mexico unfold, as a lot of veteran talents were added there specifically to encourage some second and third generation lucha talent and it's cool to see them spawn and go on to success.

In general I also suggest playing with Deaths and Injuries set to high (wrestling is a tough business) and new relationshpi generation on a low or medium setting as it's always good to encourage some fun things to happen, but setting it too high can end up making for a slightly strange gameworld.

==============================

4. PERMISSION TO OTHER MODDERS

==============================

Since I'm always getting asked about using this as a base for other mods and stuff, I'm going to say this here.

"This mod and everything within it is free for all modders to use as they wish. My only limitation is that you do the same with your own mod too."

Feel free to give me credit if you want, I don't care. As long as you enjoy this any use of it in other mods is a credit to what I've done and is enough for me. :)

==============

5. With Thanks

==============

I always lose track of everyone I mean to thank because I'm so terrible at noting things down. Adam Ryland always gets the most credit for creating the Cornellverse in the first place, a universe I find so compelling that I not only make a historical version of it for each TEW but that also stops me from playing real world mods. He also puts up with all my modding questions and lets me help make TEW too, so thanks to him for all his patience in listening to me and my strange ideas. :)

Thanks to all the players of the mod too. Strangely, I've not played this as much as I'd like to so it's you guys wiht your feedback and your dynasties that make me so very happy. I've spoken to so many of you on the forums and via PM. Guys like praguepride, foolinc, Kamchatka and so many more always help to give me the motivation to make this as awesome as I can.

Thanks especially to the entire team of That 70s Mod. You guys have put together an incredible TEW mod and I've stolen so much of your fantastic work for this mod here, more than ever before. I just hope you guys don't mind what I've done with some of the creations you put together, I know that some of them were probably destined to become stars and I've broken them... similarly, some of them were probably meant to be jobbers and have become something more, so hopefully I've done them justice for you.

And once again... there are so many people I want to thank and I'm so bad with names. You all know who you are even if I don't, so I hope you all have great fun with this mod and all the possibilities that exist within it. Thank you.

- Derek B

Google Drive Download Link v1.04 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ox4yv5t0_ONnJNR1JoZzFWSWs/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-j29xZycllzYNvzQMfQ_ALw

Sendspace Download Link v1.04 - https://www.sendspace.com/file/iueq7f

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know if you find anything wrong, whether it be typos, numbers that seem wrong, home bases set badly or anything. This is technically a beta since it's during beta week but it should go pretty well in the long run. I may run a long sim soon all the way up to modern times like I did with TEW13 but since that would be 19 years of sim and I fully intend to both play the game AND do CV16 Reworked mod over the next few weeks, I'm not sure when that will be yet. :)

EDIT: I'll be re-releasing this once the public beta is out too in case there are enough things changed in this week that it needs it. So enjoy it just now, but remember that the game is beta and the mod should be treated as such too. :)

Last time I was this happy for something on the forums was, well......yesterday. LOL. Thanks Derek! Have always enjoyed this mod, and I'm very happy its already here for TEW2016.

One question Derek.....one of my other favorite mods was yours where you adjusted pop to fit where workers had performed instead of them having blanket popularity across the nation (I actually ended up using that one as my default for much of the 2013 run); do you plan on creating the same type mod for 2016?

Last time I was this happy for something on the forums was, well......yesterday. LOL. Thanks Derek! Have always enjoyed this mod, and I'm very happy its already here for TEW2016.

One question Derek.....one of my other favorite mods was yours where you adjusted pop to fit where workers had performed instead of them having blanket popularity across the nation (I actually ended up using that one as my default for much of the 2013 run); do you plan on creating the same type mod for 2016?

Let me know if you find anything wrong, whether it be typos, numbers that seem wrong, home bases set badly or anything. This is technically a beta since it's during beta week but it should go pretty well in the long run. I may run a long sim soon all the way up to modern times like I did with TEW13 but since that would be 19 years of sim and I fully intend to both play the game AND do CV16 Reworked mod over the next few weeks, I'm not sure when that will be yet. :)

Quoted a post I edited likely before you saw it. :)

It's my favourite mod too, so I'm making it again for me and should be out within a couple of weeks I think. Though that depends entirely on how quickly I can do things now that I'm back at work. :p

I've been playing these games for about 12 years now, since the birth of the C-Verse in 05 (though I played the demos of 04, though I know not if it's existence is still apparent).

From 05, I always used to struggle to get into it and think I played 05 and 08 with Real world mods only. It wasn't till I played a two player with a friend where I began to really get into USPW - but I still only dabbled with it. In 13, I only ever played this '97 mod. Because I knew who big players were in the future, it was always interesting to see them rise through the times and truly understand the C-Verse. I was looking forward to starting with this mod again to see how the changes in 13 to 16 will change my booking (starting from a 0/0/0/0 for two months in comparison to a game I started playing just before 16 was announced.

I am almost certain that this mod will be my first long term game again.

But I cannot help but feel a little nostalgic, and would really love to see sometime for someone to take this mod and the current 16 data to make databases for the world starting in (04)/05/08/10/13 so I can really visit all those all past states - all of which I lightly delved into but never understood.

A lot of people in the forums ask what is the best place to start, and I always think that it would be here, in 97' where you can see the history of the current C-Verse world come alive.

Thanks for all the hard work on this mod as always Derek.

I'm just getting into a save with the current C-Verse and then here you go Derek-B and release this mod.

Gosh, darn it.

Looks like I'll be flipping back and forth... right when that link goes back up.

Will mention any typo's, errors etc. but I'm sure it'll be awesome as always!

How in the hell did you get this up so fast? I know you're on the dev team but damn usually its a good three to six months before you get this up. Incredible work. Is there anything new in this data? I know you had severely tweaked it for maybe the first time in V2 of the release for TEW 13.

I've been playing these games for about 12 years now, since the birth of the C-Verse in 05 (though I played the demos of 04, though I know not if it's existence is still apparent).

From 05, I always used to struggle to get into it and think I played 05 and 08 with Real world mods only. It wasn't till I played a two player with a friend where I began to really get into USPW - but I still only dabbled with it. In 13, I only ever played this '97 mod. Because I knew who big players were in the future, it was always interesting to see them rise through the times and truly understand the C-Verse. I was looking forward to starting with this mod again to see how the changes in 13 to 16 will change my booking (starting from a 0/0/0/0 for two months in comparison to a game I started playing just before 16 was announced.

I am almost certain that this mod will be my first long term game again.

But I cannot help but feel a little nostalgic, and would really love to see sometime for someone to take this mod and the current 16 data to make databases for the world starting in (04)/05/08/10/13 so I can really visit all those all past states - all of which I lightly delved into but never understood.

A lot of people in the forums ask what is the best place to start, and I always think that it would be here, in 97' where you can see the history of the current C-Verse world come alive.

Thanks for all the hard work on this mod as always Derek.

Always great to hear support, so thanks for that. :)

How in the hell did you get this up so fast? I know you're on the dev team but damn usually its a good three to six months before you get this up. Incredible work. Is there anything new in this data? I know you had severely tweaked it for maybe the first time in V2 of the release for TEW 13.

One of the reasons this was done so quickly was the amount of work I put into the V2 release for TEW13. Once all of that was changed I didn't have as much work to do, so with a good converter and a LOT of time spent finding every bug I could in the editor I managed to get it done ahead of even my own best expectations. :) Not a lot of new stuff in this version, just all the new info added and lots of scenario things completed. Things I plan to add to my own CV16 version of the data too. :)

Looking forward to downloading this once it's available again. How's the women's wrestling scene look in '97?

It's still sparse. That's the Cornellverse history really but there is a lot of talent coming through in the future if you're going to that side of the world. :)

My favourite mod just one day after beta release? Miz isn't here (though he is on TV in the background right now, actually) but that's AWESOME. Thanks, Derek!

The two most fun TEW games I've ever had were based on versions of this mod - a five or six year run with HGC and a 10+ year run with PGHW, so while there's plenty of interesting stuff in the 2016 CVerse, I'm also very much looking forward to having another long term game starting in 97.

Another question: Does this mod include all the future workers/broadcasters/companies/etc that appear in the present day C-Verse?

Yes... with a couple of exceptions. With the advent of pregnancies (even without the ability for them to generate workers) there are a few people missing, like Lucy Stone-McFly since she isn't born by game start... but the game evolves and would look very similar in terms of workers and networks in the long term, with lots of Broadcaster Changes and narratives already set. :)

Yes... with a couple of exceptions. With the advent of pregnancies (even without the ability for them to generate workers) there are a few people missing, like Lucy Stone-McFly since she isn't born by game start... but the game evolves and would look very similar in terms of workers and networks in the long term, with lots of Broadcaster Changes and narratives already set. :)

Will you update the Helpful Info Document with these omissions, so we can go in and add them if their existence becomes appropriate (i.e. Victoria Stone gets pregnant)?