"Never On PPV" Gone?

I had posted this in small questions but it's never been answered as that thread is moving at a pretty rapid rate :) I'm not sure if this is a question or suggestion or just a lament so feel free to move it if need be.

I noticed the "Never on PPV" (or I guess it should be now "never Broadcast") selection is gone from Events. Unfortunately, for historical mods that take place before the advent of PPV, this leads to territories signing up broadcast deals for all of their monthly Events.

The only way I can see to address this in the editor is to set Broadcasters to only deal with companies Cult or above but then it also removes the ability for Regional companies to have their own TV shows.

Is there a way I'm missing to make events "not for broadcast" so historical mods will retain that flavor. I mostly play those so that's a big selling point for the new game.

Please let me know if I'm missing anything or anyone has any answers to this. Thanks!

Edit: Obviously, I mean for the AI. I'm aware that, as a player, I could just choose not to broadcast a show.

Good catch. I agree.

Also is the event size gone as well?

Yes, event size appears to be gone. This appears to be done to default to your biggest possible size. This is disapointing as well honestly because I used to hold various events as a way to make money and to mimic holding international tours.

Yes, event size appears to be gone. This appears to be done to default to your biggest possible size. This is disapointing as well honestly because I used to hold various events as a way to make money and to mimic holding international tours.

Yep same here. Especially playing as a Puro company. Pretty big bummer.

Yep same here. Especially playing as a Puro company. Pretty big bummer.

With WCW I would usually hold some events in Japan that were not ppv sized to mimic their WCW World in Japan tours and then would do some smaller sized events in the US to mimic their radio only ppv events. (LOL WUT)

With WCW I would usually hold some events in Japan that were not ppv sized to mimic their WCW World in Japan tours and then would do some smaller sized events in the US to mimic their radio only ppv events. (LOL WUT)

BOSTON BRAWL! Malice in the Palace! LA Melee! Never Forget! :)

This is a very disappointing development, as I used to hold monthly events in areas I was looking to expand into but had no TV deals, which were smaller size than the one in my home territory, due to lower attendances and also to minimize costs, and to allow me to run shorter shows, as I had less workers over there, I don't see any advantages to removing the not PPV and event size options at all, maybe I am missing something..

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Newman" data-cite="Newman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41255" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This is a very disappointing development, as I used to hold monthly events in areas I was looking to expand into but had no TV deals, which were smaller size than the one in my home territory, due to lower attendances and also to minimize costs, and to allow me to run shorter shows, as I had less workers over there, I don't see any advantages to removing the not PPV and event size options at all, maybe I am missing something..</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well, as a Player you always have the chance to setup an Event and in the Booking Mode just select no Broadcaster to Show it - that seems to be the same as the "Never on PPV" Option.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Losi" data-cite="Losi" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41255" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well, as a Player you always have the chance to setup an Event and in the Booking Mode just select no Broadcaster to Show it - that seems to be the same as the "Never on PPV" Option.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I have only advanced one week, so am speculating as I am yet to run my first show, so if that is in fact how it works, then that sounds perfectly reasonable, and I don't see any difference.. Thanks for the clarification..</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Newman" data-cite="Newman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41255" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I have only advanced one week, so am speculating as I am yet to run my first show, so if that is in fact how it works, then that sounds perfectly reasonable, and I don't see any difference.. Thanks for the clarification..</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah the Never on PPV was strictly for AI controlled promotions but it's vital in historical mods before the advent of PPV proliferation. As it stands now, all of the AI controlled company Events are being "broadcast" so it's going to cause quicker population gains.</p><p> </p><p> I've gone in an set all of the Broadcasters that would deal with Cult or below to "Must Cover Home" so that they can only be broadcast in that specific Region but ideally, the "Never on PPV" or some form of that selection coming back would make all the difference.</p>

<p>Yes, the human player has the ability to hold events with no broadcaster.</p><p> </p><p>

The AI won't however. This will mean that historical mods will see most companies put their big monthly events on a broadcaster if they can which didn't happen in real life. </p><p> </p><p>

This may be avoided by setting up the broadcasters in certain ways. Will require testing. Seems that if they can get a tv show that they will hold their events on a broadcaster. </p><p> </p><p>

Need more testing.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="shipshirt" data-cite="shipshirt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41255" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah the Never on PPV was strictly for AI controlled promotions but it's vital in historical mods before the advent of PPV proliferation. As it stands now, all of the AI controlled company Events are being "broadcast" so it's going to cause quicker population gains.<p> </p><p> I've gone in an set all of the Broadcasters that would deal with Cult or below to "Must Cover Home" so that they can only be broadcast in that specific Region but ideally, the "Never on PPV" or some form of that selection coming back would make all the difference.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The never on PPV wouldn't matter. Now that events can be broadcast on regular providers, the AI would just create new events and put them on a broadcaster. </p><p> </p><p> Need to look into eras and the like. </p><p> </p><p> Maybe Adam can weigh in?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="justtxyank" data-cite="justtxyank" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41255" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The never on PPV wouldn't matter. Now that events can be broadcast on regular providers, the AI would just create new events and put them on a broadcaster. <p> </p><p> Need to look into eras and the like. </p><p> </p><p> Maybe Adam can weigh in?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well, yes of course, if you took "Never on PPV" literally. But if you've read my posts on it, I've said (even in my OP) that it could be modified to "Never Broadcast".</p><p> </p><p> Yes, I'm hoping Adam will weigh in. There's no setting in Eras other than expecting Significantly Lower PPV ratings that would seem to affect this.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="shipshirt" data-cite="shipshirt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41255" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well, yes of course, if you took "Never on PPV" literally. But if you've read my posts on it, I've said (even in my OP) that it could be modified to "Never Broadcast".<p> </p><p> Yes, I'm hoping Adam will weigh in. There's no setting in Eras other than expecting Significantly Lower PPV ratings that would seem to affect this.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Sorry you missed my point. If you set the events to never on broadcast the AI would just make new ones and set those to defunct. </p><p> </p><p> The AI should have a block put it in to where a commercial broadcaster has higher standards for event broadcasting than they do for tv shows perhaps?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="justtxyank" data-cite="justtxyank" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41255" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Sorry you missed my point. If you set the events to never on broadcast the AI would just make new ones and set those to defunct. <p> </p><p> The AI should have a block put it in to where a commercial broadcaster has higher standards for event broadcasting than they do for tv shows perhaps?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah something like that. The universal nature of the Broadcasters seem to have thrown a kink into historical mods.</p>

I spoke with Adam and he confirmed that with the new Broadcaster set up there's no way to set events to not be broadcast. He did mention that he might be able to hard code something in where events wouldn't be able to be broadcast before a certain date (I suggested March of 1985 since that's when Wrestlemania happens) but that's not a definite. So we'll see. I'm going to continue to play around with Broadcasters settings to minimize how far reaching any events can be broadcast.

A potential workaround will be to make local channels free to air and require you to be in their home region. Be very meticulous about setting the historical channels with strict requirements and it will be impossible for people to get on air. Keep in mind that most networks prior to the 90s didn't see wrestling as a valuable product

Adam added a historical block for AI events not to be broadcast before the PPV era (which I'm assuming is the first Wrestlemania) in patch #7.

What is the difference of making the channels Free to Air rather than Commercial? I was just curious.

What is the difference of making the channels Free to Air rather than Commercial? I was just curious.

Free to Air generates no money for the promotion. Its like PBS, BBC, etc. Commercial does. Its like your normal TV networks - USA, Spike, NBC, etc.

Free to Air generates no money for the promotion. Its like PBS, BBC, etc. Commercial does. Its like your normal TV networks - USA, Spike, NBC, etc.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I know what the difference between them is I just meant (in regards to justtxyank's post) what the difference would be in changing them to Free to Air making it more difficult for companies to get on the air.

But in case you missed it, Adam added a historical block in patch #7 so no events are broadcast until March 1985.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I know what the difference between them is I just meant (in regards to justtxyank's post) what the difference would be in changing them to Free to Air making it more difficult for companies to get on the air.

But in case you missed it, Adam added a historical block in patch #7 so no events are broadcast until March 1985.

Well, I don't think having a lot of networks as Free to Air would keep AI companies from getting deals. It would keep them from making money off those deals. Broadcaster changes could be used to change to Commercial at a later point.

Archived