Help Me Get Started With MAW (Never played CornellVerse)

So I'm starting a new game in TEW 16 as MAW after some suggestions on trying them out. Was hoping for some pointers/tips/ideas on how to get started with MAW and be successful as I've never played the CornellVerse before in all my years of playing EWR/TEW.

The idea behind them is not that they're trying to be ultra successful and rake in money, they're designed to be building the next generation of talent. Sort of like an independent version of NXT.

Therefore, if you're playing 'in character', your main event should be guys who are being polished and are ready to step up to the bigger leagues, and you're using their drawing power to help keep you in business while you can. Your midcard and below is for bringing in your talent and molding them.

Ideally you want at least one veteran with decent skills in the midcard to help break the youngsters in, and possibly one in your main event to build around.

In terms of booking style, think classic old school - mostly standard singles and tag matches, interviews to hype the matches, etc.

You're also in the COTT alliance, and can therefore make heavy use of talent trades.

Financially you're not hugely rich so you need to keep an eye on your bottom line and not splurge too heavily on talent. A small roster where everybody has a role is the key, and if you're profitable you can spend the extra cash on bringing in outside talent to put over your talent or to get a big main event.

<p>Some additional thoughts after my first trial with MAW:</p><p> </p><p>

The first event is the Rip Chord Invitational, an annual singles tournament. Those Alliance features will come in very handy here, as it's the obvious spot to bring in some outside talent for the tourney. (Fun fact: The RCI has <em>never</em> been won by the reigning Mid Atlantic Champion.) In my trial game, I had American Flash win it, beating George Wolfe in the final after Miller Fforde interfered to get revenge for a loss-then-beatdown at the beginning of the night.</p><p> </p><p>

You start with three storylines (the aforementioned Wolfe-Forde being one) even though MAW doesn't require them. They're mostly in place to show you what's been happening. Roderick Remus starts the game injured, so you won't have him for January.</p><p> </p><p>

The roster seems slightly heel-heavy, so a turn or two or bringing in a couple of new guys for balance is an idea. You will be behind most of your direct rivals on production values, so keep an eye on that. The upgrades aren't as expensive as they seem -- I was still able to turn a profit in January after some upgrades.</p><p> </p><p>

There is one thing I'm kind of fighting with: the match restrictions. No spinal impact moves and no high-risk maneuvers dings a lot of your matches and kinds of restricts who you can hire. I'm wondering how other people are handling that.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Editor6" data-cite="Editor6" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41405" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>There is one thing I'm kind of fighting with: the match restrictions. No spinal impact moves and no high-risk maneuvers dings a lot of your matches and kinds of restricts who you can hire. I'm wondering how other people are handling that.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I overrule the restrictions for my main event and another match if I'm sure that match is going to be one of the top 2 matches of the night.</p>

Archived