The Mod Squad

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would assume the picture pack would be close to the same since it is the same mod.

There was some discussion earlier in the mod about changing the type of pic pack to possibly organic or something else entirely. Since they are in need of pic cutters I would assume that its not organic but possibly a new background or something of that nature. So yeah I think he was just looking for 100 percent clarification.

There was some discussion earlier in the mod about changing the type of pic pack to possibly organic or something else entirely. Since they are in need of pic cutters I would assume that its not organic but possibly a new background or something of that nature. So yeah I think he was just looking for 100 percent clarification.

Yeah I was asking just so I can get ready for a dynasty and provide some cuts of my own. I also converted the TEW2013 mod to TEW2016 and OMG there was some work to do. WWF stole Flair in the first two days!!!!

Yeah I was asking just so I can get ready for a dynasty and provide some cuts of my own. I also converted the TEW2013 mod to TEW2016 and OMG there was some work to do. WWF stole Flair in the first two days!!!!

Thats kind of close to reality :) Ric Flair was close to signing with the WWF at in 1998 There is a story that he was in a limo circling the parking lot while they tried to figure out the legalities of his contract.

Thats kind of close to reality :) Ric Flair was close to signing with the WWF at in 1998 There is a story that he was in a limo circling the parking lot while they tried to figure out the legalities of his contract.

And if I'm not mistaken, they might have been close in '88 to go along with signing Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard, as apparently there were rumors that Flair was the originally scheduled guest for Brother Love at SummerSlam.

And if I'm not mistaken, they might have been close in '88 to go along with signing Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard, as apparently there were rumors that Flair was the originally scheduled guest for Brother Love at SummerSlam.

Just want to point out that the story from 98 was HEAVILY disputed at the time. Arn Anderson did Q&A session around that time and laughed off that story as being ridiculous. Flair was never out of contract with WCW in 98 which is part of what led to his issues with WCW that year.

Just want to point out that the story from 98 was HEAVILY disputed at the time. Arn Anderson did Q&A session around that time and laughed off that story as being ridiculous. Flair was never out of contract with WCW in 98 which is part of what led to his issues with WCW that year.

Flair on Jericho's podcast told the story how they were going to have his son announced live on Raw and Flair would be standing next to him. But the lawyers said no

I heard it from a Flair podcast with Jim Cornette where Flair himself confirms the story. Its episode 12 of his podcast.

Cornette talks about Flair circling the parking lot, Flair confirms it. Flair confirms it on Jericho's podcast as well.

Flair on Jericho's podcast told the story how they were going to have his son announced live on Raw and Flair would be standing next to him. But the lawyers said no

IIRC, they were going to say something to the effect of "We have a wrestling champion in the building tonight," then go over to his son and not even mention Ric even though he'd be there on camera. Kind of a nod-nod, wink-wink.

Right exactly. I'm not saying he was close to running in on Steve Austin but Flair was in a legal battle with WCW, to hear him tell it they weren't paying him and he wanted out of his contract. Still I'm glad it didn't happen. Everyone talks about how Flair as Vince's corporate champ would have been great but that means The Rock doesn't get that push and I have a hard time believing Flair vs. Austin would have been better than Austin vs. Rock.

1) Flair is the biggest liar in wrestling. Basically anything he says should be taken as a 50/50 proposition as to whether it is factual.

2) WCW wasn't paying Flair. They were suing him for breach of contract because he didn't show up to Thunder tapings. He argued he wasn't set to be used, which may or may not have been true (Bischoff claims he was supposed to be on the shows) but WCW required a lot of wrestlers to show up even if they weren't scheduled to wrestler. (It's one of the things they've been mocked for in the past, which is weird because that is how the WWF is as well unless you have the day off officially.) He did not counter sue until late May 1998. The PPV he "allegedly" was going to appear at was in late April 1998.

He has greatly embellished this story over the years and each time he gets closer and closer to have signing with the WWF. Before he dies he'll tell us that he was actually schedule to win the WWF title in an impromptu main event that night!

Simple reality is that he was never out of contract. He got hot under the collar with WCW and wanted to appear on WWF's Unforgiven PPV in Greensboro "on accident" where they showed him in the crowd as an FU to Bischoff. The WWF didn't agree to it and his lawyers didn't agree to it.

Not a Flair fan? lol :)

Although I agree with you on Flair being full of it. One of my biggest things is that Flair seems to get a pass for his lies and for his politics (refusing to drop the title to Luger because he "promised it to Sting", losing to Sting, letting him have it less than six months before winning it back and holding it for a year and then leaving without dropping it). Yet Hulk Hogan is a POS for his "lies and politics". Life is weird man :)

Not a Flair fan? lol :)

Actually I am a big Flair fan but it just is what it is lol. He's a messed up human being who was an entertaining wrestler for a long time. You can't let that cloud the fact that he is incredibly dishonest and creates crazy fictional memories. I don't know that any of it is malicious, heck, he might even believe half of it because he was so hung over all the time!

One of my biggest things is that Flair seems to get a pass for his lies and for his politics (refusing to drop the title to Luger because he "promised it to Sting", losing to Sting, letting him have it less than six months before winning it back and holding it for a year and then leaving without dropping it). Yet Hulk Hogan is a POS for his "lies and politics". Life is weird man :)

Flair's politics were weird. As fans we often get too hung up on wins and losses as being the way wrestlers are political. Flair was never afraid of losing because it didn't hurt his character. Hogan's entire character was built on being impossible to beat. For him a loss was a bigger deal than Flair. However, Flair was just as much of a punk when it came to politics. He refused to work Shane Douglas in WCW, refused to drop a belt to Luger, refused to work with Steve Austin, threw a tantrum about working Chris Jericho at the first Thunder, etc. He was very political. He just didn't mind taking losses to main eventers like Hogan did.

Interesting conversation and it is very interesting how differently fans tend to regard the two. Austin is another guy who had some political dealings and doesn't seem to get heat from fans about it.

I think justtxyank makes a really good point about their character backgrounds being different. Flair was a heel and always made his opponents look good, win or lose. In his heyday, Hogan did some pretty awesome babyface selling before the inevitable comeback. By the mid 90s, when a lot of the complaints about his politics really seem to stem from, it seems like he didn't do that as much, even before the big turn in '96. I would have to go back and watch some matches so validate this, but it almost seems like he became overtly concerned with "looking strong" in matches, whether he as face or heel. I think his politicking also gets more notice as its viewed as having direct links to the decline of WCW through the 90s.

Flair's politics were weird. As fans we often get too hung up on wins and losses as being the way wrestlers are political. Flair was never afraid of losing because it didn't hurt his character. Hogan's entire character was built on being impossible to beat. For him a loss was a bigger deal than Flair. However, Flair was just as much of a punk when it came to politics. He refused to work Shane Douglas in WCW, refused to drop a belt to Luger, refused to work with Steve Austin, threw a tantrum about working Chris Jericho at the first Thunder, etc. He was very political. He just didn't mind taking losses to main eventers like Hogan did.

Ditto to how out of whack Flair's politics were. Makes it a bit of a challenge as to where to put all of his personality sliders. Guess you can always randomize them for each release. :D

What's even crazier is that from what I've heard of Luger's shoots, he didn't seem to care about wins and losses and just went with the flow. :eek: Of course, that does come from Luger himself, so take it for what it's worth.

Interesting conversation and it is very interesting how differently fans tend to regard the two. Austin is another guy who had some political dealings and doesn't seem to get heat from fans about it.

I think justtxyank makes a really good point about their character backgrounds being different. Flair was a heel and always made his opponents look good, win or lose. In his heyday, Hogan did some pretty awesome babyface selling before the inevitable comeback. By the mid 90s, when a lot of the complaints about his politics really seem to stem from, it seems like he didn't do that as much, even before the big turn in '96. I would have to go back and watch some matches so validate this, but it almost seems like he became overtly concerned with "looking strong" in matches, whether he as face or heel. I think his politicking also gets more notice as its viewed as having direct links to the decline of WCW through the 90s.

As a fan of both, I think Hogan has been unfairly maligned for no-selling. He got more physically limited as the years went on so he took even fewer bumps than he took early on (which wasn't that much) but Hogan would sell a beating even in the late 98s. The man sold main for Karl Malone and Jay Leno. He acted like a scared little kid for Warrior. He took straight up beatings from Luger and The Giant. The Sting match that everyone remembers was booked like crap with Hogan getting the edge and beating up Sting, but generally Hogan took a beating as a heel and sold offense. He sold for DDP, he sold for Goldberg, etc. He didn't want to take clean losses. That was what he manipulated. Flair's manipulation was just straight up not working guys that he didn't think were "worthy" of him giving them a rub.

Austin in my opinion was probably worse than both of them. The dude straight up quit on at least two occasions because he didn't like what he was asked to do. In his prime he RARELY sold offense for anyone, he refused to put over Triple H in 99, instead letting Foley pin him, refused to work with Jeff Jarrett because of a decade old resentment, etc. We also didn't get Hogan v Austin because Austin refused to do it. People try to write that off as Hogan being to blame, but Hogan did the job to The Rock and would have done the job for Austin. Austin just refused to work the match.

Ditto to how out of whack Flair's politics were. Makes it a bit of a challenge as to where to put all of his personality sliders. Guess you can always randomize them for each release. :D

What's even crazier is that from what I've heard of Luger's shoots, he didn't seem to care about wins and losses and just went with the flow. :eek: Of course, that does come from Luger himself, so take it for what it's worth.

Man Luger was great. He gets crapped on way too much because he wasn't great at anything, but Luger was a pro. Bret Hart liked working with him because Luger was easy to work with. He didn't mind letting guys get their spots in, would go with whatever sets the other guy wanted to get in, he had no problem (over)selling offense, and, completely underrated in history, in the late 90s when Hogan didn't do house shows, Sting was off tv completely and the nWo couldn't be counted on to show up to anything, Luger kept the house show market alive for WCW and was the only reason the nWo storyline stayed believable from late 96 to 97 when he was the good soldier for WCW. He also dealt with Bruiser Brody being a dick without reacting, never threw a fit about the WWF booking him like garbage, never demanded the belt in WCW, etc.

I've always loved Luger. I think it's the mid-to-late 90's Luger that ruined him in most people's eyes. His work in the 80s and up to the Wolfpac for me was usually very entertaining.

Him and Sting are one of my favorite tag teams actually. Obviously in TEW terms they were two individuals and not a unit, but they worked well together.

I don't know if Steve Austin in his babyface prime ever lost a match clean or even not clean without interference or McMahon screwing him or something wacky like that. He refused to put HHH over at Summerslam (Ventura didn't want to raise the hand of a heel the story goes) however he could have put him over the next night. Austin pins Foley, HHH does "you didn't beat me" and you do a monster rating that night on Raw. He refused to work with Jarrett, he refused to work with Gunn. Hell Austin's entire run he faced Foley, Rock, Kane and Taker and thats about it I can't recall him ever have a singles match against anyone else that entire 98-99 run before he came back in late 99. Russo and Austin both talk about how paranoid and hard he was to work with during his prime. There were stories about all the crazy stuff Austin did "Zamboni, beer truck" and Austin not being interested in doing it and having to be talked and practically begged to do it.

I agree on the Hogan front as a heel he was the most chicken heel ever even more than Flair who popularized the shtick. He sold the Piper deal at Havoc 96 great (segment bombed though due to Piper's rambling), he sold for Warrior, for Sting, the guy was always selling being scared as heel of these guys.

Whats interesting in the narrative of "Hogan let to the decline of WCW" is that people point to the Finger Poke of Doom. Ratings INCREASED after that and the Superbrawl ppv that followed beat McMahon/Austin ppv buyrate at St. Valentines Day Massacre. Austin vs. McMahon, in a cage on ppv and Flair/Hogan did better business. It wasn't until April of that year (when Hogan got hurt and was gone) that business officially tanked. I'm not saying Hogan was some generous soul but ratings and business wise through 99 with Hogan (and Flair) on top business was damn good.

Archived