A New Computer?

Hey everyone, I've never purchased a computer before, and my 10+ year old computer is making horribly loud rattling/grinding noises, so I think it will give out any day now. I am completely clueless as to what I should purchase, I've tried researching it myself but all of the details (other than hard drive size and RAM) confuse me. I just want a computer that can run new games, and is Windows 7 or 8 (not 10), from a reliable website. Does anyone have any suggestions?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Wrestling Century" data-cite="Wrestling Century" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41498" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Hey everyone, I've never purchased a computer before, and my 10+ year old computer is making horribly loud rattling/grinding noises, so I think it will give out any day now. I am completely clueless as to what I should purchase, I've tried researching it myself but all of the details (other than hard drive size and RAM) confuse me. I just want a computer that can run new games, and is Windows 7 or 8 (not 10), from a reliable website. Does anyone have any suggestions?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Newegg </p><p> </p><p> It honestly depends on the games you want to play and how much upgrade you want to do over time. If you play graphic intense games you're going yo want a good card, could, and the like.</p><p> </p><p> Not being that tech savoy I can't tell you the best, but my fianc looks at stuff in the i7 core</p>

Trust me on one thing dude, you do NOT want Windows 8, its terrible.

Meh, I've tried it out, and IMO its better than Windows 10. Hopefully my computer can last until June when the "amazing" free Windows 10 upgrade runs out, so I don't get that forced on my new computer. I would prefer Windows 7, though.

And thanks for the website recommendation MLT, but I don't understand what any of the specifications are for a gaming PC, and I'm not sure what a core is, so.....:p

Meh, I've tried it out, and IMO its better than Windows 10. Hopefully my computer can last until June when the "amazing" free Windows 10 upgrade runs out, so I don't get that forced on my new computer. I would prefer Windows 7, though.

And thanks for the website recommendation MLT, but I don't understand what any of the specifications are for a gaming PC, and I'm not sure what a core is, so.....:p

Just the security fixes in 10 alone 8 100% obsolete. Just use 10, you'll be much happier.

Windows 10 is an amazing operating system once you disable the over-reaching data collection tools; which is VERY easy to do. MS is dropping support on versions of Windows before 10 in a couple years anyway and 10 is free.

Just do it. There's nothing wrong with it.

I fully advocate Windows 10 as well. I used to use Windows 7 Professional because I couldn't stand Windows 8.

The big question is, what do you want to do with the computer? What games are you looking to play and at roughly what settings? Do you have a budget that you are working with?

I fully advocate Windows 10 as well. I used to use Windows 7 Professional because I couldn't stand Windows 8.

The big question is, what do you want to do with the computer? What games are you looking to play and at roughly what settings? Do you have a budget that you are working with?

I would like to play new games (AAA, big budget ones) at around medium-max settings for the next few years. Basically, I would like to play games at 60 frames, but I don't necessarily need the greatest, top of the line graphics (although those would be nice). My budget is in the $800-1000 range.

Edit: I also heard that you can't disable all of the data collecting things on Windows 10, is that true? I would still prefer Windows 7 if possible, I like it better than 8 or 10, but if I can disable all of the random background data things on Windows 10 I would prefer it to 8.

Windows 10 all the way, I left Windows for Mac some years ago back when it was XP but have used 7 and 8 through work. Now, at home I've gone back to using Windows, though mostly for dev work and games.

There isn't much point in clinging on to the past versions of Windows, its not like Windows 10 is Windows ME or Vista. It's a very stable and good operating system, better than 7 I would say. So much has changed since XP now I couldn't compare it to that, though I do miss XP/98 sometimes :D

I would like to play new games (AAA, big budget ones) at around medium-max settings for the next few years. Basically, I would like to play games at 60 frames, but I don't necessarily need the greatest, top of the line graphics (although those would be nice). My budget is in the $800-1000 range.

Edit: I also heard that you can't disable all of the data collecting things on Windows 10, is that true? I would still prefer Windows 7 if possible, I like it better than 8 or 10, but if I can disable all of the random background data things on Windows 10 I would prefer it to 8.

You heard quite wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived