TEW16 on Mac OSX Tutorial (Wine)

NOTE: Below is an updated version of my tutorial for TEW 2013. The tutorial was an adapted version of Judoku1819's (link) from the WMMA4 forums, so much love to him.

Due to some users having technical issue I've provided an alternative method that allows you to download a pre-created wrapper that I've made and uploaded ready to install. If you are new to wine it is recommended you use "Method 2".

What You'll Need

Method 1: Do It Yourself

• Wineskin Winery (link)
  • TEW 16 Setup .exe ("TEW2016_RETAIL.exe")
  • TEW 16 Latest Patch .exe (optional - found in the tech support forum for TEW 2016, "TEW2016.exe")

Method 2: Pre-Made Wrapper (Easier)

• Pre-Made Wrapper
  • TEW 16 Setup .exe ("TEW2016_RETAIL.exe")
  • TEW 16 Latest Patch .exe (optional - found in the tech support forum for TEW 2016, "TEW2016.exe")

NOTE: If using "Method 2" (the pre-made wrapper) skip to step 5.

Step 1

When you open Wineskin Winery you will need to install an engine and update the wrapper version.

To install the engine click the + button, next to the text "New Engine(s)" available, and chose the most recent one (the engine used for this tutorial is WS9Wine1.9.9).

To update the wrapper simply click update. (This may not be necessary)

Step 2

Hit the create new blank wrapper button and enter the name for the app. TEW 2016 is what I went with. This process will take a couple minutes and it is likely that you will be asked to install "Gecko" and "Mono". Hit yes and install these both as they are very important.

Step 3

Wineskin Winery will have opened up the location of the wrapper in finder. Open it up.

You'll see a screen with 4 buttons. Choose "Advanced".

Then choose the "Tools" button at the top of the page and hit "Winetricks".

Step 4

You'll need to run 5 winetricks and it is important you do these one by one. It is also important that you do not alter the install location of any of these.

NOTE: If this is not a fresh install of Wineskin Winery (i.e. if you've used it to create a wineskin wrapper before) hit the "Update Winetricks" button in the lower left corner

Firstly, search for "ie6". It is found under dll's. Select the tick box and hit run. Wineskin will display a message with a URL as well as opening a finder window. Download the file from the url and place it in the location that wineskin opened in finder. Once again search for "ie6", select the tick box and hit run. A window will come up if done correctly. Follow the prompts and install ie6. After installed it will prompt you to reboot but as we are just installing winetricks there is no need.

Secondly, search for "vb6run". Again it is under dll's. Select the tick box and hit run. This installation is quick and requires you to do nothing.

Thirdly, search for "jet40". Once again it is under dll's. Select the tick box and hit run. The installation is similar to ie6. Follow the provided link, download the file and place it into the finder window that Wineskin opened. After you've done this search for "jet40" again, select the tick box and run it. A window will pop up. Follow the prompts to install.

Fourthly, search for "native_oleaut32". This time it is under the "settings" drop down. Select the tick box and hit run. This is nice and simple and will complete by itself.

Finally, search for "allfonts". This time it'll be under fonts. It will take a minute or so but you don't need to do anything.

Once that has completed close winetricks and choose "configuration" from the top of the page.

Step 5

Now we get to the fun part. Open the wrapper and click the "Install Software" button and install TEW as normal. A prompt will come up asking you to chose the setup .exe. Select "TEW2016_RETAIL.exe".

When it has installed buy your elicense or copy it across from the computer that you have TEW installed. (I'm not sure on the copyright laws. I'm assuming this is fine, as you have already bought the game, but if not can a mod correct this. DON'T PIRATE, support the developer. I am also not 100% sure whether the DRM allows for the elisence to be copied as I purchased it through the new Mac app, so try at your own risk).

When this is done close Wineskin Winery and the new Mac TEW 2016 app if it is opened.

To navigate to the program files folder open a new finder window and click on the "GO" menu in the toolbar and choose computer. From there select "Macintosh HD" and the click on User>Applications (this is not the default applications folder). Select Wineskin and then Right-Click on TEW 2016 and chose "Show Package Content". Select the "Drive C" Alias (shortcut) and go into Program Files>GDS>TEW2013. I strongly recommend making an alias (shortcut) to this location as this is where mods/skins and patches are to be installed.

Step 6 (Optional)

Copy the latest TEW2016.exe that you may have downloaded earlier.

Navigate to the TEW2016 folder (see step 5 to work out how to find it).

Paste the file in here. A prompt will come up. To avoid bugs I recommend choosing "Keep Both Files".

Rename the original file "TEW2016_old.exe" or something similar. Rename the new file (that is called "TEW2016 copy.exe") to "TEW2016.exe".

And now you're done. Congrats. Enjoy TEW on Mac. If any problems arise feel free to reply and I'll do my best to help you.

Note:

• To install mods navigate to the directory in step 5 and proceed as normal.
  • One known issue is the ovsBooleanControl.ocx error AKA Runtime Error 339. This occurs when clicking on certain buttons. If this happens to you, navigate into User>Applications>Wineskin>TEW 2016 (Right click, show package content)>Drive C>Windows>System 32. Find the file named "OVSB~3IL.OCX" and rename it to "ovsBooleanControls.ocx". When the application is next started the "OVSB~3IL.OCX" file will be re-created but as we already have the correct file this is alright.

Proof:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/alex_z9/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-11%20at%2010.40.36%20AM%20copy_zpsbthbtgb3.png

EDIT: For clarification this is confirmed working on both OS X Yosemite and OS X El Capitan, older operating systems should work but are not confirmed too by me. If anyone has any luck installing on OS X Mavericks or earlier let me know and I'll update this.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! I play on Mac using Wine, have a question you might be able to answer. Do you know how to make the TEW screen larger in WINE? The font is size 12 and it strains my eyes sometimes to read it.

What model computer are you using? Do you know your resolution?

Would either of you know if this works the same way with win under linux?

The process might be a little different depending on the version of wine (I know Linux wine is mostly command line) but the actual steps of installing the winetricks and then the exe should work on Linux. If you try it out let me know.

this is godly thank you

You're most welcome!

Just a note: It works great. You have to unlicense your game from your PC before you can license it on your mac. You can go back and forth as you please and as long as both systems have an internet connection the process is simple and painless.

So you can essentially play TEW on your desktop and then drop your save files on your mac and play it on the go.

I believe the native resolution is 1280x800

That's a big of a bugger, unfortunately there isn't anything that I'm aware of that you can do. If you right click on the app and hit "show package contents" and then click the "screen options" (forgot the actual name of the button but something like that) and have a play you might find something that helps.

That's a big of a bugger, unfortunately there isn't anything that I'm aware of that you can do. If you right click on the app and hit "show package contents" and then click the "screen options" (forgot the actual name of the button but something like that) and have a play you might find something that helps.

Well I appreciate you taking the time to answer me, I'll tinker around with it and try the technique you mentioned. Thank you :)

First of all, thanks for the tutorial. I've loved this series of games for years now and was worried I wouldn't be able to play anymore now I have a mac.

I am having some problems, though. I've followed your tutorial, purchased and installed the game, but when I try and run the .exe file i am still getting a 'windows file not supported' message. Any ideas?

Help?

This is what I get when I try to start the program. Went through the steps, purchased, put in the new patch, but this comes up every time I try to start it up.

Edit: Just noticed how small that picture is, but the message is :

Connection Error (429)

Warning! Connection to 'C:\Program Files\GDS\TEW 2016\System\TEW2016Settings.mdb' has failed (ActiveX component can't create object). The program must now close.

Any ideas?

1652284065_ScreenShot2016-05-15at4_16_23PM.jpg.0dd5ee35fdf3d502b821d7ca61d3350b.jpg

This is what I get when I try to start the program. Went through the steps, purchased, put in the new patch, but this comes up every time I try to start it up.

Edit: Just noticed how small that picture is, but the message is :

Connection Error (429)

Warning! Connection to 'C:\Program Files\GDS\TEW 2016\System\TEW2016Settings.mdb' has failed (ActiveX component can't create object). The program must now close.

Any ideas?

Did you install ie6? Maybe you need to install ie7 instead?

Internet Explorer is needed to be able to create the ActiveX object the game needs.

First of all, thanks for the tutorial. I've loved this series of games for years now and was worried I wouldn't be able to play anymore now I have a mac.

I am having some problems, though. I've followed your tutorial, purchased and installed the game, but when I try and run the .exe file i am still getting a 'windows file not supported' message. Any ideas?

I'm not a Mac user (I run Linux) but it sounds like maybe there's an issue with your file associations? Maybe Wine didn't correctly register itself to run when .exe files are clicked.

I did do ie6 during setup, and i just tried doing ie7 and ie8, and both did something totally different than how ie6 went, and went through doing a legit looking install of Internet Explorer, including a restart prompt, but i'm still getting the same message as before.

Also I wouldn't have a clue about file associations, I'm pretty basic as far as this stuff goes, it only goes so far beyond what I've done up till now lol. So any help is appreciated.

Did you notice any error messages during the ie6 install? If you don't remember create a random blank wrapper and try to install ie6 and see if an error comes up.

I didnt notice it the first time, but I wasn't really looking, so it may have been there, but there was this when I did it in a new Wrapper:

sha1sum mismatch! Rename /Users/kazwheeler/.cache/winetricks/pngfilt/IE5.01sp4-KB871260-Windows2000sp4-x86-ENU.exe and try again.

I didnt notice it the first time, but I wasn't really looking, so it may have been there, but there was this when I did it in a new Wrapper:

sha1sum mismatch! Rename /Users/kazwheeler/.cache/winetricks/pngfilt/IE5.01sp4-KB871260-Windows2000sp4-x86-ENU.exe and try again.

Creating a new blank wrapper and choosing "Update Winetricks" from the bottom left of the Winetricks window should solve that problem. give it a try and let me know.

It didnt work initially, so I decided to go back in and re-try the entire process, and it appears I missed a piece, I didn't go back and run jet40 a second time, and I'm guessing that fixed whatever problems I was having, it's running now. Thanks for the help and the Tutorial in general.

It didnt work initially, so I decided to go back in and re-try the entire process, and it appears I missed a piece, I didn't go back and run jet40 a second time, and I'm guessing that fixed whatever problems I was having, it's running now. Thanks for the help and the Tutorial in general.

Great to hear!

I've updated the original post to include a second method where a pre-made ready to go wrapper is available to download. This lets you skip straight to the install and will help if you had any errors in creating the wrapper or were a bit confused by the process. See the OP for more details.

I'm not a Mac user (I run Linux) but it sounds like maybe there's an issue with your file associations? Maybe Wine didn't correctly register itself to run when .exe files are clicked.

Thanks for the tip. Turned out the issue was me rather than anything to do with Wine. Just started an RoH game and i'm trying to sign Kurt Angle... oh it's good to be back.

So I used the Wine step-by-step guide and it worked a charm! Thanks so much!

I do have one question - whenever I search for a wrestler by name in any area of the game - on my roster, looking at picture files, in the editor - it no longer has the predictive text (as in, if I'm searching for Tommy Cornell, when I type the letter "T" it takes me to the wrestlers beginning with T. Then when I type "O" it scrolls down to the "To" section.) Instead, it resets with each letter - it'll go to the T section of names, then the O section.

I posted this question in the small questions thread and the folks there thought it might be to do with the operating system. I know us Mac users are using a different OS altogether, but is everyone having the same issue on Mac?

Sorry if this is a confusing post!

So I used the Wine step-by-step guide and it worked a charm! Thanks so much!

I do have one question - whenever I search for a wrestler by name in any area of the game - on my roster, looking at picture files, in the editor - it no longer has the predictive text (as in, if I'm searching for Tommy Cornell, when I type the letter "T" it takes me to the wrestlers beginning with T. Then when I type "O" it scrolls down to the "To" section.) Instead, it resets with each letter - it'll go to the T section of names, then the O section.

I posted this question in the small questions thread and the folks there thought it might be to do with the operating system. I know us Mac users are using a different OS altogether, but is everyone having the same issue on Mac?

Sorry if this is a confusing post!

You're very welcome! Unfortunately the issue you described, as correctly pointed out in the small questions thread, is a limitation of wine porting the game (similar to the way an emulator works) and not running natively on Mac. My theory is that some drivers are conflicting when this happens which confuses the TEW process.

While it can be quite annoying at first I have gotten used to it. Hopefully this limitation can be fixed in updated versions of wine.