TEW16 on Mac OSX Tutorial (Wine)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newbie question: Will Boot Camp still work effectively for TEW? I don't mind booting into Windows on a Mac (a 16 inch newly released loaded Mac) as long as I can play TEW. Thanks.

Im not sure about bootcamp or parallels as those are not the methods that I use... However, based on my understanding of those programs, it should still be fine because the windows OS still support 32 bit functionality.

If anyone else can confirm, that would be helpful.

EDIT: I can confirm that the latest update for CrossOver (by CodeWeavers) will work as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend Parallels Desktop 15 for anyone who owns a Mac and loves TEW. I used the 14-day trial and instantly purchased it. I was able to use the Student Discount for 50% off through my college (just re-enrolled in college for the first time in ten years to finish a degree) and bought it for $40 (as opposed to $80). You can download Windows 10 on the Microsoft website using the Media Creation Tool. Download, create the ISO file and you can install a fully working version of Windows without needing a product key or license. You'll have some settings you can't change with the non-licensed version but it will continue to work without any problems.

The thing I like about Parallels is being able to run it as the VM window or in "coherence", which is basically like Wine and Crossover. All of your Windows OS programs will run alongside the Mac without needing to reboot or anything special. I have a 40GB VM through Parallels that I'm using strictly for TEW and SimCity (EA won't update it to 64-bit). It's only taking 25GB on my Mac hard drive. Which is a lot less than other VM's and BootCamp.

I highly recommend Parallels Desktop 15 for anyone who owns a Mac and loves TEW. I used the 14-day trial and instantly purchased it. I was able to use the Student Discount for 50% off through my college (just re-enrolled in college for the first time in ten years to finish a degree) and bought it for $40 (as opposed to $80). You can download Windows 10 on the Microsoft website using the Media Creation Tool. Download, create the ISO file and you can install a fully working version of Windows without needing a product key or license. You'll have some settings you can't change with the non-licensed version but it will continue to work without any problems.

The thing I like about Parallels is being able to run it as the VM window or in "coherence", which is basically like Wine and Crossover. All of your Windows OS programs will run alongside the Mac without needing to reboot or anything special. I have a 40GB VM through Parallels that I'm using strictly for TEW and SimCity (EA won't update it to 64-bit). It's only taking 25GB on my Mac hard drive. Which is a lot less than other VM's and BootCamp.

I pulled the trigger on this. Love how fluid going back and forth is on Parallels. It’s not a cheap option, but I like it a lot more than when I had Wine.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TheLeviticalLawKid3" data-cite="TheLeviticalLawKid3" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41542" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I pulled the trigger on this. Love how fluid going back and forth is on Parallels. It’s not a cheap option, but I like it a lot more than when I had Wine.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Probably a dumb question but I've been using Wine for years and haven't had any issues.</p><p> </p><p> I'm afraid to try something like a split hard drive or Parallels, because surely it takes up a whole ton of space? I don't really have the space to spare, what with work and such.</p>

I pulled the trigger on this. Love how fluid going back and forth is on Parallels. It’s not a cheap option, but I like it a lot more than when I had Wine.

Absolutely. I would still recommend VirtualBox for a more advanced user who is on a budget. I've gone that route and used it for years but after trying Parallels I don't think I could go back to it. As you said, it's just so nice using it. It's a flawless program that I've had zero problems with. VirtualBox can give headaches. And Wine/Crossover can stop working because of a Mac update (like Catalina) or program update.

It certainly isn't cheap but you absolutely get what you pay for with Parallels - an awesome program. But you do also get the Parallels Toolbox along with it, which I've grown to see has a lot of nifty apps you can use.

do i need windows in parallels to run TEW? or can i just run TEW

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Get the Windows 10 ISO. You can download it now without needing a Windows computer. Before you had to download a media creation tool to download Windows 10. You'd use the tool to create a ISO for a disc or a bootable flash drive. This downloading the ISO directly is completely new. Windows 10 install through Parallels is flawless. Just skip the product key for Windows. You can use the full version of Windows without using a product key (with preferences and settings not able to be changed). Microsoft allows this on purpose. If they didn't want people to be able to test out the OS, they wouldn't allow you to bypass the product key in the first place or they'd lock the OS after a set amount of time, which they don't do. I own two different Windows computers in my house, which is how I had the ISO file originally.

I just bought this MacBook in late October and I was scrambling to figure out the TEW fix due to Catalina. This isn't a real fix due to the price but its a really nifty program that runs flawlessly and allows you to do much more than TEW on a Mac.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Will this Wine tutorial be the same for TEW 2020? I'm not overly technically inclined, but I managed to install TEW 2016 using Wine on my Mac and this tutorial. I'm still running on High Sierra and haven't switched to Catalina. Any insight is super appreciated, thanks.

I believe it’d be the same for High Sierra. I’m running Catalina so won’t be able to confirm however. Good news is I got it working on Catalina, so if you update it should be fine

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the amazing tutorial! I followed all the steps, and TEW booted up great. The problem I'm having though is when I try to create a new database, the created folder won't show up in the Finder.

I am using a trial version though, is that the culprit?

<p>Guys. I have a question:</p><p> </p><p>

I got run TEW on Ubuntu 20 with these instructions and some things (ex: Match Lenght's scrollbar) doesn't appear. It a bug?</p><p> </p><p>

Greetings from Chile.</p><p> </p><p>

:8)</p>