Now I'm looking at setting up my own broadcaster and notice you can actually only have 1.

Also I've found that you can't deal with other broadcasters for the same show.

So when it comes to a WWE network type subscription, is there any benefit?

It won't generate the same PPV income as the PPV company would, and it doesn't crest the same exposure as commercial.

So is there any point at all in having a subscription network?

Subscription seems like the best, or at least it will be when Adam puts out the next patch and increases our income from it.

What sort of income are we looking at from subscription? Is it sort of better for shows, but keep ppv for events?

It looks like your income from a subscription based broadcaster is totally dependent on your pop in the areas your broadcasters cover. Your pop has to be 71 to break even with a subscription based broadcaster. Income from it is currently way too low and almost makes it pointless to run a subscription based broadcaster. Here's hoping Adam patches it eventually.

Do we have a real life example of a company owned subscription service being an overwhelming success?

I don't know about New Japan World, but the WWE Network has not been a massive hit. It's been a success, but it's not been the game changer they were hoping for.

True, and it should be harder to make money with it than with other styles of broadcasters. However, I do think having to have a 71 pop to break even sufficiently adds to the difficulty. Not saying that it should be the most profitable broadcaster version but it's almost pointless in it's current state. Upping the income generated from subscription broadcasters would help make the feature more usable.

True, and it should be harder to make money with it than with other styles of broadcasters. However, I do think having to have a 71 pop to break even sufficiently adds to the difficulty. Not saying that it should be the most profitable broadcaster version but it's almost pointless in it's current state. Upping the income generated from subscription broadcasters would help make the feature more usable.

The way I see it, having a subscription network isn't so much about making money but rather building visibility. It allows you to essentially buy coverage that is difficult if not impossible to get in the game.

If making money is the end goal, a PPV broadcaster of your own would be the way to go.

The WWE network is more about footage and all that kind if stuff. I would have though subscriptions were separate to tv shows and PPV providers. Maybe having a subscription lowers you PPV income, but they should run alongside no?

The content that the WWE Network provides isn't really represented in-game. And would be really difficult to emulate - most companies wouldn't have the video libraries of a dozen closed territories plus 30 plus years of its own programming to draw from.

The way I see it, having a subscription network isn't so much about making money but rather building visibility. It allows you to essentially buy coverage that is difficult if not impossible to get in the game.

If making money is the end goal, a PPV broadcaster of your own would be the way to go.

The content that the WWE Network provides isn't really represented in-game. And would be really difficult to emulate - most companies wouldn't have the video libraries of a dozen closed territories plus 30 plus years of its own programming to draw from.

Yes, that's my point really, so is a subscription type any better than a ppv for events? And does it give you the coverage that the others do for weekly shows?

It is represented in game because you have to be high pop in game which should take years to get to

I disagree. It should be about both. A PPV broadcaster should definitely provide more profit than a subscription broadcaster. However, the current income that can be made from owning your own subscription broadcaster is currently just too low to be viable. Not talking about a huge jump. Just a bit of a tweak like the one that was made for sponsorship money for smaller companies.

In lore terms the SWF would; they may not have bought out a WCW equivalent like the WWE did but otherwise their history is rather similar; 30+ years of history and forcing the closure most of the old territorial promotions (All-American Florida Wrestling, American Pro Wrestling Federation, California Pro Wrestling, Championship Wrestling from Boston, Texas Wrestling League etc). In some cases (such as AAFW) it's stated that the SWF bought them out and for the others (as well as possibly the later Southern Championship Class Wrestling) I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine the SWF buying their video libraries.

This is more of a brain storm than a serious point... and my own attempts at doing something similar have been far too much like hard work... but I think if one was dedicated enough one could somewhat emulate a Network type show. Use the editor to give SWF (or whatever promotion you want) more TV dates, use User Preferences to turn off things like match ratios and workers objecting to not being on shows and then run the show full on angles and interviews and then change the User Preferences back when the show was over. Classic matches could be replicated by using the editor to bring guys like Rip Cord or Professor Nero back into the business, give them a contract with SWF and then having their "matches" just be angles rated on overness.

As I say, probably far too much like hard work, may well not work anyway and/or may have unforeseen (or seen by people who know more than me...) problems but I think it could be done.

Adam explained it as PPV broadcaster revenue being dependent on strong main event matchups, with big name stars. Without that, PPV revenue falls off.

The strength of subscription broadcasters is that revenue is based off of company, and not worker, overness. So you become less dependent on individual workers.

Adam explained it as PPV broadcaster revenue being dependent on strong main event matchups, with big name stars. Without that, PPV revenue falls off.

The strength of subscription broadcasters is that revenue is based off of company, and not worker, overness. So you become less dependent on individual workers.

Right that makes more sense

Yes, that's my point really, so is a subscription type any better than a ppv for events? And does it give you the coverage that the others do for weekly shows?

It is represented in game because you have to be high pop in game which should take years to get to

Better? Again, it depends on your goal. Are you focused on making money, focused on growth, or do you want a balance?

You need to be high in pop to turn a profit. And theoretically to have the money to open the broadcaster in the first place. But there is no cap. Start a brand new company at Local, given them $100m, and you can open up your own broadcaster. You will lose money, but so be it.

I disagree. It should be about both. A PPV broadcaster should definitely provide more profit than a subscription broadcaster. However, the current income that can be made from owning your own subscription broadcaster is currently just too low to be viable. Not talking about a huge jump. Just a bit of a tweak like the one that was made for sponsorship money for smaller companies.

I was actually wrong. Apologies. Looking at the Broadcaster types in the Editor, it mentions that PPV is best for revenue, weakest for growth. As Sigilistic points out, its dependent on the drawing power of the stars. Free to Air is the other extreme - great at growth, no money. The editor notes Commercial and Subscription are similar, but Commercial is a bit more balanced while Subscription a bit more revenue and a bit less growth compared to Commercial.

Tweaking is always a possibility. If you haven't already, post it in the Suggestions forum.

In lore terms the SWF would; they may not have bought out a WCW equivalent like the WWE did but otherwise their history is rather similar; 30+ years of history and forcing the closure most of the old territorial promotions (All-American Florida Wrestling, American Pro Wrestling Federation, California Pro Wrestling, Championship Wrestling from Boston, Texas Wrestling League etc). In some cases (such as AAFW) it's stated that the SWF bought them out and for the others (as well as possibly the later Southern Championship Class Wrestling) I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine the SWF buying their video libraries.

This is more of a brain storm than a serious point... and my own attempts at doing something similar have been far too much like hard work... but I think if one was dedicated enough one could somewhat emulate a Network type show. Use the editor to give SWF (or whatever promotion you want) more TV dates, use User Preferences to turn off things like match ratios and workers objecting to not being on shows and then run the show full on angles and interviews and then change the User Preferences back when the show was over. Classic matches could be replicated by using the editor to bring guys like Rip Cord or Professor Nero back into the business, give them a contract with SWF and then having their "matches" just be angles rated on overness.

As I say, probably far too much like hard work, may well not work anyway and/or may have unforeseen (or seen by people who know more than me...) problems but I think it could be done.

Ah, this is the kind of conversation I love. You are correct. But we have no direct canon indication that the SWF bought out those companies. In game, those belts can be bought by anyone, which would indicate the opposite. As well, Richard Eisen has never demonstrated visions of grandeur beyond his own company that way Vince has in trying to build an "entertainment empire". Its certainly possible but not a certainty.

Better? Again, it depends on your goal. Are you focused on making money, focused on growth, or do you want a balance?

You need to be high in pop to turn a profit. And theoretically to have the money to open the broadcaster in the first place. But there is no cap. Start a brand new company at Local, given them $100m, and you can open up your own broadcaster. You will lose money, but so be it.

I was actually wrong. Apologies. Looking at the Broadcaster types in the Editor, it mentions that PPV is best for revenue, weakest for growth. As Sigilistic points out, its dependent on the drawing power of the stars. Free to Air is the other extreme - great at growth, no money. The editor notes Commercial and Subscription are similar, but Commercial is a bit more balanced while Subscription a bit more revenue and a bit less growth compared to Commercial.

Tweaking is always a possibility. If you haven't already, post it in the Suggestions forum.

Ah, this is the kind of conversation I love. You are correct. But we have no direct canon indication that the SWF bought out those companies. In game, those belts can be bought by anyone, which would indicate the opposite. As well, Richard Eisen has never demonstrated visions of grandeur beyond his own company that way Vince has in trying to build an "entertainment empire". Its certainly possible but not a certainty.

If anything, the true empire builder in the Cornellverse is Allen Packer. He's made USPW a flagship program for the Reverie network, which aggressively grows to worldwide distribution in just a few short years. I could see Packer picking up defunct belts as he goes along, as the old footage would do well on Reverie and its online offshoot ReverieGo. ;)

There's a direct quote in the All-American Florida Wrestling profile that says the SWF bought them out:

By the time the company was bought out by SWF, Dick was an eighteen-time champion.

It's also mentioned in Dick the Devastator's bio directly:

After being bought out by the SWF...

As for the others there's no canon sources that they were bought out and the non-canon sources (like the TEW Games Wiki) suggest they folded rather than actually being sold but I think if a player wanted to proceed on the assumption that at some point since the 1980's the SWF had bought their tape libraries I'd say it's a reasonable suggestion to make.

Good catch, consortium. I guess I gotta stop posting something at work if I can't double check the info in game. It definitely wouldn't be wrong to go with the idea that the SWF does have or could have a library of old content. At the very least, they have 40 years of their SWF material to use.

My original point was simply that the subscription broadcaster that a company can create in-game isn't (or doesn't seem) intended to emulate the exact kind of content that the WWE Network has. There is a whole mini-game that could be created there.

Archived