Prices

chammer39

I am with Powerguy in not wanting to spend money but I want quality and I hardly believe I can get quality for 20 bucks. At the $34.95 price for TPF, I think the cost is somewhere around 1/2 cent per hour so far and going down each day. Think of all the time spent in playing the game. It is not necessary to insert quarters each time you play, $34.95 is reasonable unless you dont play the game. Heck, if you make it better and incorporate some of the arcade type play that FBPro had along with the detailed management aspect, you can charge more and people will still jump on it. I cant recall what I paid for FB Pro but I know it cost me less than 1/4 cent per hour.

chammer39 - I notice you posted on both this forum and the .400 forum about hoping TDCB is turned into freeware and now about new games being priced $20 or less. I'm sorry if you feel our products are not worthy of $35 but we feel they are. Our games may not have the fancy 3D graphics of a Madden or WWF game but I'm willing to bet that many of our users log just as many and in some case more hours playing our games than the ones they pay $50 for. Sure $35 isn't a drop in the bucket to many people but you're getting complex and dynamic games that took a person hundreds and hundreds of hours to code - I think that we provide great value for the prices we charge (not to mention the opportunity to try the game out before you hand over your $35) so I can't imagine the prices changing for new products.

I think New Orleans Thunder has the right idea, when you look at how much time and enjoyment you get out of these games, the price is very reasonable. I have bought many games for my Xbox and PC, and I've got more enjoyment out of the text-based games (TEW, Championship Manager) that cost very little (around £20 each) than I have out of the games that I've paid £30-£40 for. It really doesn't matter that these games aren't created and marketed by huge forces in the industry like EA or THQ, what matters is gameplay - they are games after all. And in terms of gameplay, I feel you are getting an excellent deal for your money with games like TPB and TEW, and the other quality text-based games out there.

Guest IrishHand
Both good arcade games. The next "good simulation" that ESPN's software division makes will be the first. I'd pay $50 without batting an eye for a top-level sim (think CM, OOTP). As any real CM fan can tell you, a top-level sim has instant replayability. I've yet to see the NBALive that I can't dominate within a couple of weeks. Of course, give me a TPB with NBALive-style graphics so I can watch my inept coach run his bumbling offense with my brilliantly-selected, drafted and signed players and I'll be in heaven...but that's a couple years away at least. :)

Well even if they're good, that's them. The games here are 35 bucks (and a bargain at that) because they are unique, have good depth and are very enjoyable. Everyone could agree to that. Like I said before, $20 might sound good but think about it. If you were to put a value on any of these games it would be higher than 35. I haven't done the math like New Orleans Thunder but that sounds about right.

Great programming, Great company, great product, great marketing (Tara ;) ) will take care of that, trust me these guys and gals want to make money at this. I believe these people are on the right track the lessons learned of the past will help to guide them all to new heights.

Only game I don't buy from this genre...(which doesn't not include an ESPN game :D ) is Diamondmind Baseball. I'm sure it is a great game...but the price of the game on top of no career play and the added expense if I wanted to buy additional season disks is just a bit much. At best...these types of games get a reduction in price when the next version is in the final stages of development/testing; and even that is not the norm. Since the next release for these games will be in essence the first releases for this company as a new entity...there is nothing to reduce.

This idea that the way to get more people in on the games is to lower the price is asinine. Thats the way to push the standards down because the company can't afford to put in the amount of work that is required to turn out a quality product. Anyone who is successful in business will tell you that the #1 most important thing in getting and then retaining a large, satisfied customer base is to give what they always want -- a great product. From the very limited amount I've thus far seen I'd say that Gary & Co. get this -- the stuff he's revealed so far is where I thought the series should go but did not frankly expect until the third or fourth generation. After you have that great product you then sell it at a price that is as competitive as possible while still allowing you to make enough money to finance future projects. The gaming industry is big enough that any top-notch release will get bought even at higher prices -- the only time that lower prices matter that much are with the marginal fan or those who aren't sure if the game is worth getting; this is hardly the text sim customer base and I'd much prefer a HIGHER price, if by that it is guaranteed that those making the game are going to continue to improve the series, respond to the demands of those of us who buy them, etc. In any endeavor your goal should be to make a product that's so superior to everything out there, and with such outstanding service & support, that your customers would be crazy to do business with anyone else, regardless of cost.

The number one goal for a company is to make the most amount of money they can. Pricing games is a pretty inexact science. If you price the game at $35, you'll probably still sell to most of the sport sim fan base, but most people outside of that fan base might not give it a try. If you price it at $20, you'll still get the sport sim fan base, but you might get more people outside of that fan base to give it a try. The tricky part is to make so that enough people will buy it at $20 to make up the the $15 lose per copy (if you would have sold it at $35). Say you'd sell 4,000 copies of the game at $35. If you price it at $20, in order to make more than the $35 priced scenario, you'd have to sell more than 7,000 copies. But the problem is you never really know how many copies you'd sell at either price, so it's a gamble either way. The safe route for .400 was to price it higher (since they already were working off the fan base of OOTP when they were part of .400). They already had a fan base to work off of. If you are just starting out, then it would be wise to price it lower (Arlie's first game, CAD, was around $20 I think). So since these guys already have a fan base to work off of, it's a gamble for them to price it lower. For every dollar they lower the price, they have to sell more copies to make up the difference.

Prices I am sure everyone would love to pay just $20.00 for a simulation. I know I would. But I do not believe that is a fair price for all the work involved in developing a simulation or game. I would and have paid up to $40.00 for a game with advanced graphics (Madden, etc.) and $35.00 for a simulation (OOTP). In my humble opinion these are fair prices.

Archived