[2000] January: Enter The New Millenium

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think any modder has an issue with their mod being used as a base for another modder to use. There is an expectation though, that the modder using the database doesn't just take it, move some workers and release it. That's not using it as a base, that is just using someone else's work. Any modder who wishes to use someone else's work as a base should always follow the following criteria in my opinion;

1) Request permission first. This is absolutely key. Don't post on the forum saying you are going to be making a mod unless you have spoken to the base mod creator and got his permission. Also don't just ask "can I use it?" ...explain what you want to use it for, which parts you wish to use, what changes you would like to make.

2) Go through every worker, promotion, area etc. in the database. Research where they were in your new timeline, how they had developed since the mod your using (or how much they had developed since your mod if you are doing one in the past) and do the ratings match up with your opinion of the worker/the research you've done online. Your mod should absolutely not contain every worker with the exact same stats as the mod you've taken from. Detail is key. Use the base mod, but make it your mod. Think of the popularity and how it changed. Was this announcer still working for the same company? Was this TV Show still active?

3) Thorough testing. I'm not talking about open beta (your first release, even a pre-release can define your reputation as a modder) ...not just looking for contract mistakes etc. but checking - does the game world evolve as you would expect it too? Does a wrestler who made it big in real life, have a reasonable chance of doing so here? Is a wrestler who began a decline in real life beginning to do so in your mod? I know some like to even make sure that in 4 out of 5 run troughs, if possible, the AI main event of the first big PPV matches at least similarly to real life. That's dedicated testing, and the base mod creator will appreciate you putting that work in because at the end of the day, when you release it you will be crediting them and therefore their name will be on it and no mod maker will want to associate their mods with something that just doesn't play well.

Most key is just take your time. Don't rush it out for 2 weeks after announcing it. If you do, it won't be good. If you follow the above, in detail, I don't think there is a mod maker here who wouldn't allow you to use their work.

Archived