[1994] - All Star Wrestling (in the UK)

A little unusual this one, but I'm going to attempt to run a diary for All Star Wrestling.

First piece of news is that no sooner had I moved in to my booking position, I decided to ask a few questions of Brian Dixon ahead of sitting down to plan the nights show. I made it known that I was aware Brian had refused offers of TV deals before and that I felt All Star should look to gain a deal as soon as they could. To my surprise, Brian handed me a letter and asked me to read it as he made a quick call. Whilst scanning the letter, I overheard "not a problem, he'll be there inside the hour". Brian put the phone down, handed me a piece of paper with a phone number on it "no BS, just chat to him" and handed me the booking details for the month including finances. With that, I was off to...

(In 1994 it was known as The Family Channel, but I don't have that logo)

Prior to arriving I'd made the phone call and had agreed a deal to bring back an old face to the UK scene. I was to call back after the meeting, a call which I made with a smile on my face. I had also gone through the finances for the month ahead, along with the previous few months and knew my bargaining position. Back to the meeting itself though, with the people at The Family Channel giving me a presentation around the people behind their channel wanting wrestling. I'd assumed Brian had been here before, right up until the part about additional costs. Those costs fell within my budget and I agreed to the production requests. Next up was the time slot, sadly I only had one choice and went with it.

Meeting over, All Star now had a new 9 month television deal on a rather late graveyard slot and we also had a mystery star appearing on the first show. That show would be called...

A throwback to All Star's 1980s days on Screensport. This was an exciting time and I couldn't wait to get started on the TV, but first it was back up to the North of England for the tour show. I can plan the TV on Tuesday ahead of Friday's first taping.

Week 1, July 1994

With the TV deal having been agreed, I arrived at the venue and made a few changes. These changes even involved giving a few people the night off.

Fans in attendance, expecting only the standard show detail, were given the exciting news of Satellite Wrestling starting on Challenge TV over the upcoming weekend. From here, the night kicked off with the start of month Tag Team KO. The KO was eventually won by the team of Brian Maxine and Flash Barker, although wrestling lost overall as Maxine attacked Doc Dean after the semi final victory over Dean and Legend of Doom. In-between the KO tournament matches we were all treated to a match between Johnny Saint and Steve Grey, a technical masterclass between two men who both hold Lightweight gold under varying sanctioning bodies. Saint was victorious on this occasion and, like most fans in the venue, I can't wait for the next time they are both in the same ring. One interesting final point about the KO Tournament was Mal Sanders comments towards Marty Jones, it's certainly very doubtful that Jones is a coward. The night was finished off with a six man main event, but was preceded by a challenge by Giant Haystacks to Tony St Clair.

"St Clair, how about we make this interesting. If my team wins, we meet on Friday in a steel cage for your Heavyweight belt. Lose, haha, lose and I'll leave you alone until the end of the month AND THEN I'll beat you anyway."

St Clair of course accepted and the six man tag team match saw St Clair, Taylor and Collins go on to defeat King Kendo, Haystacks and the Giant's old friend Scrubber Daly. The action didn't end though as Haystacks and St Clair went toe to toe after the decision was announced, Haystacks directing "I don't know what the **** you're smiling about" at St Clair before launching Danny Boy Collins across the ring.

Results:

KO Semi - Brian Maxine & Flash Barker defeat Doc Dean & Legend of Doom D-

KO Semi - Alan Kilby & Ben McCoy defeat Mal Sanders & Sid Cooper C-

Non-Title - Johnny Saint defeats Steve Grey D+

KO Final - Brian Maxine & Flash Barker over Alan Kilby & Ben McCoy (injury stoppage finish) D

Tony St Clair, Dave Taylor & Danny Boy Collins over Giant Haystacks, King Kendo & Scrubber Daly C-

Overall: C-

The show opened up with Pat Roach coming out to announce that he was in a position of authority within ASW and that fans could expect some fantastic wrestling from now on. He then proceeded to ask the fans if they wanted the good news first or the bad, with the resounding answer being "the good". Roach announced that we would be seeing Jones and Haystacks in action, with a mystery star also appearing. After a brief pause, he would also announce that he was vacating the European Heavyweight Title. (B-)

Giant Haystacks defeats Karl McGrath. (C-)

Post-match, Haystacks would continue the attack on McGrath. (C-)

This saw Pat Roach enter the ring, with Haystacks inadvertantly taking a swipe at him then leaving the ring. (C+)

On his way out he would taunt St Clair to camera "STILL SMILING St Clair?" (B-)

Jones defeats Sid Cooper to retain the World Mid-Heavyweight Title. ©

Mal Sanders came out after the match and entered the ring.

"Jones, you've held that title since 1987..."

"Does that not tell you something Mal? It tells me that..."

"Yes, you hand pick your opponents. You go easy, you've been allowed to remain on this pedestal and..."

"Easy...EASY!" Marty pauses and towels his forehead. "I've just faced Sid Cooper, who is anything but easy. He trained Sayama when he was over here. He's a former Welterweight Champion. He also tagged with Alan Dennison, a man who by the way just last week it was the 10 year anniversary of his death. Don't slight Sid or anyone like him Mal. Prove yourself son..."

Marty's attempt to pat Mal on the shoulder is swept aside and Marty walks off looking disappointed. (D+)

Brian Maxine and Giant Warrior come to the ring and demand the mystery star faces them in a tag team match. (D+)

Dynamite Kid appears, he gets in the ring. As a mark of respect, Doc Dean grts in almost unnoticed. (B-)

Maxine immediately gets in Dynamite's face.

"Mystery Star...STAR? I'm the star here, was in the 70s and still am now Tommy boy. What are you doing here? Washed up on these shores! Where's Davey? Huh, where's the British Bu..." The commentators only comments are about Dynamite not flinching, just a cold hard stare. (B-)

Dynamite Kid & Doc Dean defeat Brian Maxine & Giant Warrior by DQ. ©

Overall: C+

Rating: 0.01

Notes through the week:

Michinoku Pro and FFCP in France have both accepted All Star's offers of a Working Agreement.

Jim Breaks announced as the ASW Academy Trainer

Various contracts have been sent out and accepted, names are being held until they work their first date.

Chic Cullen and Ben McCoy are the first two current roster members to sign exclusive per performance deals.

Mark Rocco has returned to All Star as a Road Agent, a perfect match.

<p><strong><span style="font-size:18px;">Week 2, July 1994</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/TsuMirren/media/ASW_zps5pxhv3bo.jpg.html" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u530/TsuMirren/ASW_zps5pxhv3bo.jpg</span></a></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

One interesting feature of the second week of July was a dark match, these are matches that All Star occasionally run to entertain the fans whilst the venue is filling up, which saw Pete LaPaque tag with an unknown masked wrestler. The only clue for any keen eyed fans at ringside would have been the blonde hair coming out from underneath the mask. Early reports from ringside point to the combination not having the best of starts, these things can take time though.</p><p> </p><p>

This week saw a non-title tag match, with The Superflys having recently entered a period of only defending their titles on other independant shows. King Kendo made pretty easy work of Steve Prince, the match obviously not being for the Welterweight title. Giant Haystacks was in action, this time defeating Legend of Doom, again stating that he hoped St Clair was still smiling. Dave Taylor returned from a busy weekend in Germany, putting in a fine performance against Brian Maxine's Warrior accomplice. Fans were also given the chance to see Doc Dean come out victorious in a rather unique four corners encounter. The main event on this occasion saw Tony St Clair defeat another World of Sport legend, Gil Singh, in a British Heavyweight Title contest. We can only imagine that Tony was indeed smiling immediately after this bout.</p><p> </p><p>

Results:</p><p> </p><p>

UK Undertaker defeats 123 Boy <strong>F+</strong></p><p>

King Kendo defeats Steve Prince <strong>D</strong></p><p>

Non-Title - Dynamite Kid & Danny Boy Collins defeat The Superflys by DQ <strong>C</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong>Doc Dean defeats Steve Grey, Tom Tyrone and Karl McGrath <strong>D</strong></p><p>

Giant Haystacks defeats Legend of Doom <strong>D+</strong></p><p>

Dave Taylor defeats Giant Warrior <strong>C</strong></p><p>

British Heavyweight Title - Tony St Clair defeats Gil Singh to retain the belt <strong>C</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Overall: <strong>C</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/TsuMirren/media/ASWSatellite_zps2p7rn4cz.jpg.html" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u530/TsuMirren/ASWSatellite_zps2p7rn4cz.jpg</span></a></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

Fans watching on Challenge TV would have been shocked to hear the familiar tone of Orig Williams on commentary for this one. Orig has recently agreed to work announcing duties, freeing up Brian, and will be available as often as his own schedule allows. </p><p> </p><p>

Pat Roach began the actual show by first announcing the European Heavyweight Title Tournament, match one to be on the show, and then he requested the presence of Giant Haystacks. </p><p> </p><p>

"If this is about last week Roach, then I apologise...for almost hitting YOU! I've apologised for it through the week and backstage. I don't apologise for anything else though..."</p><p> </p><p>

"That's my issue Stacks and I just want you to understand that so long as you leave St Clair alone you'll have your match at the end of the month"</p><p> </p><p>

Pat Roach left the ring as Haystacks prepared for his opponent to appear. <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Giant Haystacks defeats Alan Kilby (C-)</strong></p><p>

Stacks leaves the ring and holds up two fingers to camera, an obvious sign for Tony St Clair <strong>(B-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Pete Roberts makes a surprise appearance <strong>(D)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Pat Roach follows Peter in to the ring, allowing him the applause from the fans.</p><p> </p><p>

"Peter, first of all good to have you here. Fans will remember you from some fine bouts against Wayne Bridges for the old World Heavyweight Title, plus you held the World Mid-Heavyweight Title that Marty Jones now possesses. Some here may even be aware of your time in Japan, as mentioned on occasion by Kent Walton. I believe though that you now..."</p><p> </p><p>

Mal Sanders appears and enters the ring.</p><p> </p><p>

"He now has an announcement to make. That's it Pete, you've announced your retirement and can't just disappear."</p><p> </p><p>

Roberts gets in Sanders face and shows no sign of backing down as Roach tries to restore order.</p><p> </p><p>

"Tell you what, you're here and I'm looking to get a shot at Marty. What better way to impress than with a win over yourself." <strong>(D+)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Pete Roberts defeats Mal Sanders ©</strong></p><p> </p><p>

As Sanders gathers his thoughts, the venue is plunged in to darkness and various lights turn on and off as a voice is heard...</p><p> </p><p>

"YOU'VE ALL SEEN ME BEFORE...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" </p><p> </p><p>

...this is accompanied by carnival/circus style music. <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Then, just as suddenly as it started, it stops and we return to an empty ring then cut to the announce area where Orig is standing with an upset looking Mal Sanders.</p><p> </p><p>

"What did you expect Mal? That was Peter Roberts..."</p><p> </p><p>

Mal glares at Orig and grabs the mic.</p><p> </p><p>

"Jones...I'll see you later!" <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p>

At this point, Orig brought Tony St Clair to the announce area.</p><p> </p><p>

"Good to see you Tony. Now, I believe you have a word or two for Giant Haystacks."</p><p> </p><p>

"It's simple really Orig. I have this title belt and Stacks wants the belt. We'll meet at the end of the month, but before then he can watch me defend the title next week."</p><p> </p><p>

"Wow, there you go folks. You heard it here first, a title defence next week for Tony St Clair." <strong>(B-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

We cut for commercial and return to find that Brian Maxine has joined the announce team for the next match. <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

"As I was saying last week, just what is the Dynamite Kid doing back over here. Why don't you get him on and ask him."</p><p> </p><p>

"I'm sure he'll let you know soon enough. Though you did provoke him last week, maybe he just..."</p><p> </p><p>

"Away Orig, honestly. We're all men here, we all know he's not here because he wants to be!" <strong>(B-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>European Heavyweight Title Tournament - Quarter Final: Dave Taylor defeats Giant Warrior (distraction by The Dynamite Kid) ©</strong></p><p> </p><p>

As soon as the match is over, Warrior slides out the ring and makes for the announce area. We can hear Maxine still taunting Dynamite...</p><p> </p><p>

"Don't just stand there, come on! Behind you, it's Davey Boy..."</p><p> </p><p>

Dynamite doesn't flinch.</p><p> </p><p>

"Oh wait, are you concentrating so hard on not looking wasted that you can't do anything else?"</p><p> </p><p>

Giant Warrior grabs Dynamite and throws him in to the set, just about knocking it over.</p><p> </p><p>

"If you can hear me Tommy boy...nominate someone next week and they can face my friend here." <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Overall: <strong>C</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong>Rating: <strong>0.01</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="font-size:14px;">Notes through the week:</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

Legend of Doom and Nicky Monroe divorce</p><p>

Marc Rocco's first bit of business came early on as he informed me he didn't think the 1-2-3 Boy offered us anything. Hard to argue that point to be honest.</p><p>

NWA UK and RWS sign deals with S4C - hopefully Orig can keep his ear to the ground for me.</p><p>

Barry Douglas appeared at my office door, looking for a pay rise. I offered him a 50% raise, which wasn't bad considering he's 51 and was unhappy at being moved to a Referee role. He didn't like the offer, but further discussions and the offer of a small bonus saw things go smoothly enough.</p><p>

A well travelled World of Sport legend signed on the dotted line, as with other signings the name will be revealed as we go on.</p><p> </p><p>

*************************************************************************************************</p>

• 2 weeks later...
Fun to read and fun to see some guys that are in mods I've worked on that never get used like Giant Warrior.

I hope this isn't dead? Don't tell me your hard drive crashed.

I've had broadband issues, but I'm up and running again so will get back on it.

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">Week 3, July 1994</span></p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/TsuMirren/media/ASW_zps5pxhv3bo.jpg.html" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u530/TsuMirren/ASW_zps5pxhv3bo.jpg</span></a></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

Fans in Scotland were given a fine night of entertainment, with Pat Roach again mentioning the fact the Superflys wouldn't be defending their tag team titles. Rory Campbell, Sandy Scott and, more importantly, Chic Cullen were all in action through the night. Campbell was unfortunare to lose to Brian Maxine in a British Middleweight bout, which also saw Dynamite Kid come to Rory's defense as Brian attacked him after the match. Scott, who we hadn't seen for a while, went up against Alan Kilby in a non-title bout due to not making the weight and lost by DQ. The Superflys defeated Adrian Finch and Karl McGrath, the pair lighting up the air post-match with their colourful language directed towards Pat Roach and others in All Star Wrestling. Those in attendance also saw Pete Roberts face off against Skull Murphy, yet another one for the heritage fans with two old school workers showing their talent. We'll get to the main event shortly, but you'll have noticed mention of The Dynamite Kid. He certainly looked to have recovered from the attack on Satellite Wrestling as he led a team featuring Steve Grey and Steve Prince to victory over King Kendo, Bearcat Brody and Tom Tyrone. Post-match, he received a warm ovation and thanked the crowd for that. </p><p> </p><p>

The main event saw Chic Cullen's team of himself, Mal Sanders and Sid Cooper lose narrowly in a six man elimination match against Marty Jones, Danny Boy Collins and Johnny Saint. Indeed, this was possibly the first time that the three World Champions had been in the ring at the same time whilst holding the titles. Those being Jones, Cullen and Saint, with Collins himself holding British and European gold. Sid Cooper was the final man eliminated in the match.</p><p> </p><p>

Results:</p><p> </p><p>

Dynamite Kid, Steve Grey & Steve Prince defeat King Kendo, Bearcat Brody & Tom Tyrone <strong>C</strong></p><p>

Alan Kilby defeats Sandy Scott <strong>D</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong>Non-Title - The Superflys defeat Adrian Finch & Karl McGrath <strong>D-</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong>British Middleweight Title - Brian Maxine defeats Rory Campbell <strong>D+</strong></p><p>

Pete Roberts defeats Skull Murphy <strong>D</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong>Marty Jones, Johnny Saint and Danny Boy Collins defeat Chic Cullen, Mal Sanders & Sid Cooper <strong>C</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong></p><p>

Overall: <strong>C</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/TsuMirren/media/ASWSatellite_zps2p7rn4cz.jpg.html" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u530/TsuMirren/ASWSatellite_zps2p7rn4cz.jpg</span></a></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

Pat Roach gave his usual start of show address, reminding the fans of Tony St Clair's title shot, Giant Warrior's match versus Dynamite's selection and informing everyone that Alan Kilby would feature in tonights European Heavyweight Title Tournament match. <strong>(C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

The camera shot switched to the announce area, where Brian Maxine and Giant Warrior are standing. Pat Roach enters shot...</p><p> </p><p>

"You can leave now Pat, or indeed away through back and get Tommy boy out here. I want to know who his selection is, who has he managed to persuade to support him." Maxine faces the camera and continues on, "I see him walking around, shaking hands with the young ones, taking in the applause of the idiots at ringside and then THANKING THEM! Thanking them for WHAT?" <strong>©</strong></p><p> </p><p>

We see Maxine's focus switch as he looks towards the ring, having noticed Dynamite passing by the announce area.</p><p> </p><p>

"I could have taken the lazy road Brian, just get your gorilla in here and I'll bring my man out."</p><p> </p><p>

Maxine is now in the ring.</p><p> </p><p>

"Fine by me, sooner we get this match over with the sooner you can return to the States!" <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Mark Canterbury defeats Giant Warrior (D-)</strong></p><p>

Post-match we return from an ad break and Orig Williams is standing at the announce area with The Dynamite Kid.</p><p> </p><p>

"Now, Dynamite, we've just seen your selection gain an impressive victory over Giant Warrior. He is surely destined for gold here in All Star, but my question now is just what are you looking to..."</p><p> </p><p>

Brian Maxine and Giant Warrior come on set.</p><p> </p><p>

"Looking is an interesting word Orig. I'm currently looking at a man who had to go outside to find someone who'd work for him. Not one person in the back is LOOKING at Dynamite with any sort of adulation. I challenge him to prove me wrong on that next week..."</p><p> </p><p>

Maxine puts his finger in Dynamite's face and Dynamite pushes him in to the set with Orig stepping across Warrior to stop things getting more out of hand.</p><p> </p><p>

"Well folks, I've no doubt we'll see more of this next week...back to the ring!" <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Pre-match, the carnival/circus music plays once again and this time a Clown comes to the ring. The Clown tears off his mask and we see it's Matt Borne. <strong>(D-)</strong></p><p>

<strong>European Heavyweight Title Tournament - Quarter Final: Matt Borne defeats Alan Kilby (D+)</strong></p><p>

Post-match, Matt Borne grabs a microphone and holds up the mask in his other hand.</p><p> </p><p>

"You've all seen this before, but you've not seen me! You know this, but you don't know me! I'm not here to be a clown, UK Doink or Biffo the ****ing Clown! I'm Matt Borne, give me a chance and I'll be your worst nightmare. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!" <strong>(D-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

As Orig apologises for the language used, we quickly switch backstage where Mark Canterbury has a few words.</p><p> </p><p>

"I'm not here to make demands. I know I need to work my way from the bottom right to the top. I thank Dyanmite for his offer and enjoyed the match. But now, it's time to make my mark. Who's up first?" <strong>(E)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

"Who's up first indeed folks, but now it's over to the ring for our main event as Tony St Clair takes on Terry Rudge in a British Heavyweight Title bout."</p><p>

<strong>British Heavyweight Title: Tony St Clair defeats Terry Rudge (C+)</strong></p><p>

Post-match, St Clair smiled to camera in a display obviously meant for Haystacks to see. <strong>(B)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Overall: <strong>C</strong></p><p>

Rating: <strong>0.01</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:14px;">Notes through the week:</span></p><p> </p><p>

Dave Taylor signed a long term extension to his pay per appearance contract.</p>

Week 4, July 1994

The action on show this week was a bit of a mixed bag, with something for everyone, as various workers looked to impress ahead of the end of month show. Early evening action saw The UK Undertaker defeat Mel Stuart, followed by Pete Roberts and James Mason taking on Pete Lapaque and his mystery partner. Roberts has been seen taking time to work with Mason, whilst Lapaque seems to be struggling to develop a bond with his new partner. Maybe Pete just won't find a new partner, Tommy Lorne was one of a kind and his sad passing in the 80's stole a fantastic worker from us far too early. Ringside fans were treated to some female action with the monster Klondyke Kate defeating Tracey Kemp. We'll jump ahead in the night a little bit to inform you all that Chic Cullen and the Superflys defeated the tag team of Danny Boy Collins, King Ben and the returning Kid McCoy. Surprisingly, we saw Pat Roach come to ringside and order The Superflys to the back. Everyone soon understood why as Pat instructed the ring announcer prior to leaving. The announcer proceeded to announce Steve Grey versus Doc Dean as a British Lightweight Title number one contender decider, with the winner getting his title shot on this Satellite Wrestling.

The most interesting part of the evening came before the British Light Heavyweight Title match between Alan Kilby and The Dynamite Kid. A pre-match handshake saw The Dynamite Kid notice he'd been handed a piece of paper, which Dynamite slid inside his tights. The match itself was a technical affair, which sadly saw an interruption in the form of a Brian Maxine assault on Dynamite and on Kilby who was on the outside. As a result, Dynamite refused the title victory. The night ended with a battle royal as we all witnessed a collection of some of the finest talent All Star has on its books as Duran, Taylor, Warrior, King Kendo, Legend of Doom, Sanders, Jones, Borne, Cooper and Murphy battle it out.

Results:

UK Undertaker defeats Mel Stuart E+

Pete Roberts & James Mason defeat Pete Lapaque and his mystery partner D-

Klondyke Kate defeats Tracey Kemp D-

British Light Heavyweight Title - The Dynamite Kid defeats Alan Kilby by DQ C+

Chic Cullen & The Superflys defeat Danny Boy Collins and The McCoys D+

British Lightweight #1 Contender Match - Doc Dean defeats Steve Grey D

Marty Jones wins a 10 man battle royal, eliminating Sid Cooper last C

Overall: C

In dark matches, those in early saw Mark Canterbury defeat Tom Tyrone and Johnny Saint defeat Pete Roberts.

The show began with Pat Roach announcing the formation of the European Wrestling Alliance. Pat explained that this would see four promotions initially working alongside All Star, those four being APW from Portugal, the CWA from Austria, Eurostars from Belgium and FFCP from France.

The logos of each displayed on screen as Pat spoke, with Pat also explaining that the European Championships were now Alliance titles. Danny Boy Collins had already worked in Belgium, defending his Middleweight title against Steve Wright. We would also see the banners go across the bottom of the screen as some basic information was given on each.

(C+)

Pat would continue on to announce that we'd be seeing two new faces in the EWA European Heavyweight Title Tournament. (C+)

The camera shot switches to the announce area, The Dynamite Kid is standing with Brian Maxine.

"You know Brian, I don't tend to talk to camera too much. But, firstly I'd like to say that Alan Kilby deserves to have his title back and..."

"TITLE BACK!"

Brian Maxine appears, flanked by Giant Warrior.

"I've never heard so much absolute nonsense. But, that's not why we're both out here. We want to know who your partner is. Couldn't you find one, nobody trust you."

Dynamite steps right up to Maxine.

"Why don't you just shut up. There's plenty of good men back there, indeed Alan Kilby passed me a note during the week. But, there won't be a partner and there isn't going to be a tag match tonight. What's going to happen tonight is that your bs stops now. Stops now and he can stop worrying about checking his bag..." Dynamite looks past Maxine to address Warrior "...you do check your bag don't you. I have a bit of a reputation!"

By this point Pat Roach has also appeared, as Giant Warrior walks off.

"Pat, let us settle things in the ring."

Maxine wanders off...

"You deserve nothing Dynamite, nothing!" (C+)

British Lightweight Title: Doc Dean defeats Jimmy Ocean with what looked to all the world like a fast count. (D-)

We get a pre-taped backstage promo from Giant Haystacks.

"Sunday St Clair, Sunday and it all comes to an end. Your British Heavyweight belt will sit nicely over my shoulder, the same shoulder that will control my elbow drop right through your chest!" (C+)

EWA European Heavyweight Title Tournament - Quarter Final: Greg Valentine defeats King Kendo (D+)

We return to the announce area, Pat Roach is there alone.

"As you all know we've been working towards our big end of month show. Sadly, it won't be televised though we will bring you highlights next weekend. For those attending live though, you will see the culmination of the EWA European Heavyweight title tournament and Giant Haystacks will face Tony St Clair for his British Heavyweight belt. I can now also confirm that those arriving early will see two title matches, plus Chic Cullen taking on Danny Collins and Marty Jones defending against Sid Cooper. The Dynamite Kid will face Brian Maxine, but not for his title..."

Jimmy Ocean comes on to the set.

"What the hell was that?"

"Calm down Jimmy, you..."

"Calm down? Calm down? I've been sat in the back since the match trying to calm down. I've even watched it back again. That was a fast count, a fast ****ing count Pat!"

"Well Jimmy, hopefully that won't happen on Sunday."

"Sunday?"

"Yes, Sunday, when you and Ricky Knight defend the British Tag Team titles versus Doc Dean and his partner of choice."

"WHAT? No, no, you...gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah..."

Pat walks off as Jimmy fumes. ©

A hype video for Tony St Clair follows. (B-)

Dave Finlay appears and the crowd erupts. (B-)

EWA European Heavyweight Title Tournament - Quarter Final: Dave Finlay defeats Ben McCoy (C+)

Overall: C+

Rating: 0.01

The card for Big Time Wrestling:

British Heavy Middleweight Title: Chic Cullen vs Danny Boy Collins ©

EWA Euro Heavyweight Semi: Borne vs Valentine

EWA Euro Heavyweight Semi: Finlay vs Taylor

EWA Euro Heavyweight Final: Winner SF 1 vs Winner SF 2

British Tag Team Titles: The Superflys © vs Doc Dean and Partner

Non-Title - Brian Maxine vs The Dynamite Kid

British Heavyweight Title: Giant Haystacks vs Tony St Clair ©

World Mid-Heavyweight Title: Marty Jones © vs Sid Cooper

• 2 weeks later...

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/TsuMirren/media/BTW_zps63cvycqh.jpg.html" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u530/TsuMirren/BTW_zps63cvycqh.jpg</span></a></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:14px;">Sunday, Week 4, July 1994</span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

Fans in the arena noted that the pre-show matches were perfect for going to pick up their refreshments and get a bit of merchandise from the stalls. Job done in that regards and something that All Star are looking to continue with. For the record, Nicky Monroe retained her British Women's Title (Tina Starr) and Steve Prince retained his British Welterweight Title (Karl McGrath). In-between these two matches, fans were treated to a tag match that saw Mark Canterbury and UK Undertaker lose to the team of Pete LaPaque and his mystery partner. There's still no word on who this mystery partner is, though he did take the pinfall on this occasion.</p><p> </p><p>

The show itself kicked off with Pat Roach addressing the crowd at ringside. </p><p> </p><p>

"Ladies and gentlemen, firstly thank you all for making your way out this evening for what promises to be a great night of wrestling. We'll be bringing you, among others, Dave Finlay in the EWA European Heavyweight Title. For anyone not up to speed, this belt is now aligned to the new European Wrestling Alliance. Also in action tonight, Marty Jones will be defending his World Mid-Heavyweight title. Marty having been selected by the match makers after winning a battle royal earlier this week. We'll also see Tony St Clair defend his British Heavyweight title against the man mountain and World of Sport legend Giant Haystacks. We're going to kick things off tonight though with a match pitting The Dynamite Kid..."</p><p> </p><p>

The crowd erupts and Pat takes a moment or two. <strong>(B-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Before Pat can continue we hear the familiar tone of Brian Maxine.</p><p> </p><p>

"Versus me, the middleweight hero. Hero to the masses, who shouldn't even need to have this match tonight."</p><p> </p><p>

Maxine is, by now, in the ring and steps up to Pat Roach.</p><p> </p><p>

"Is that right Brian?"</p><p> </p><p>

"It is, you're lucky I even bothered to turn up."</p><p> </p><p>

"Careful Brian, I can make this a title match very quickly. Just be very..."</p><p> </p><p>

"You wouldn't dare Roach!"</p><p> </p><p>

"So, anyway, you're a hero are you?"</p><p> </p><p>

"Mmmmm, hero, yes that's what I said and that is most definitely what I am."</p><p> </p><p>

"The way this crowd is reacting, you don't sound a very popular hero."</p><p> </p><p>

"The what, the crowd, no no I'm not their hero. I couldn't care about them, not him, not her, not..."</p><p> </p><p>

Maxine turns to find The Dynamite Kid in the ring and, in doing so, he backs to his corner and takes off his robe. <strong>(B-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

The Referee is now in-ring, along with the MC and we're about ready to start. The Referee brings both men forward and Maxine whispers something, which sees The Dynamite Kid go for Maxine and this leads to King Kendo & Giant Warrior make to the ring followed by Alan Kilby & Ben McCoy as all hell breaks loose. </p><p> </p><p>

"Right Maxine, I gave you fair warning only seconds ago. This match is now a lumberjack match, which may lead to a title defense next weekend on Satellite Wrestling! You four stay at ringside and can I please have four more men from the back?" <strong>(B-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

{For storyline purposes, Terry Rudge, Pete Roberts, Skull Murphy and Johnny Saint make their way down to ringside.}</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Brian Maxine vs The Dynamite Kid</strong></p><p><strong>

Non-Title Lumberjack match</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Considering the amount of animosity between the two men in the ring, this started off fairly well and was a hard hitting technical match. A few teased throws to the outside were blocked until Dynamite was thrown out right at Giant Warriors feet. All eight lumberjacks battled and eventually Dynamite was rolled back in where Maxine attempted the first pin. Dynamite beat the count, but Maxine threw him to the corner and set him up. With all eight lumberjacks still battling at ringside, Dynamite blocked the superplex attempt and instead suplexed Maxine out of the ring and down on to the lumberjacks. The entire crowd gasped in horror and then fell silent, cheering again as Dynamite rose and picked up Maxine as Giant Warrior tried and failed to pull Dynamite back down off the apron.</p><p> </p><p>

The action continued and Dynamite was eventually forced to lash out at King Kendo with his foot, which led to all eight lumberjacks entering the ring for a good old fashioned British brawl. Rudge caught Roberts with a right hook that seemed decades in the coming, whilst Saint stood toe to toe with Skull Murphy. Soon it was just a mass of bodies, until Dynamite broke free and backed to the corner. Eventually Maxine would pop out too, backing away and turning to see Dynamite. Dynamite smiled at Brian as he gestured to the battling lumberjacks, before launching a volley of vicious european uppercuts and hitting a brainbuster suplex. The Referee made the three count as the lumberjacks battled out the ring and up the entrance way.</p><p> </p><p>

Winner: <strong>The Dynamite Kid ©</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Matt Borne vs Greg Valentine</strong></p><p><strong>

EWA European Heavyweight Title Tournament - Semi Final</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Borne started out on top and took the match to the former Joint Promotions star. Valentine indeed looked all but beaten around the ten minute mark, until Borne stopped in his tracks and started taunting a kid at ringside. Valentine took the opportunity to kick the ropes, hitting a suplex and floating over for the pinfall as Borne was caught off guard.</p><p> </p><p>

Winner: <strong>Greg Valentine (C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>David Taylor vs Dave Finlay</strong></p><p><strong>

EWA European Heavyweight Title Tournament - Semi Final</strong></p><p> </p><p>

This match was one that fans at ringside must have secretly been waiting for. It was genuinely in danger of stealing the show as both men showed their class in a brutal match. Taylor more than matched Finlay as neither men pulled their punches, Finlay took the victory with a piledriver after Taylor had stooped low at the wrong time.</p><p> </p><p>

Winner: <strong>Dave Finlay (B)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

After the match, both men would shake hands in a sign of mutual respect. <strong>(B-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Giant Haystacks walks past both men and enters the ring.</p><p> </p><p>

"Boo me all you like, you think I care? Right...on to business. Pat Roach only this evening called me a World of Sport legend. He's right, I've certainly lasted longer than some and I'm a real true legend as opposed to a certain fat...YES FAT...lazy washout!"</p><p> </p><p>

The crowd start a chant of "Easy, Easy"</p><p> </p><p>

"You can **** your easy...I can wait all night...finshed yet...right, screw you all! I'm going to come back out here later and destroy Tony St Clair. After I have we'll see who has the last laugh and you'd all better hope I do win. Because, you really don't want me turning my attention anywhere other than St Clair's Heavyweight belt." <strong>(B)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Superflys (Knight & Ocean) © vs The Liverpool Lads (Dean & Brookside)</strong></p><p><strong>

British Tag Team Title</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Yes folks, Robbie Brookside was revealed as Doc Dean's partner as The Liverpool Lads were once again in All Star Wrestling. The Superflys spent most of the match breaking the rules until one late stomp (outlawed in British title matches) too many saw Brookside stop the Referee from issuing a public warning. From here, it was pretty much a no holds barred contest with the finish coming after Brookside threw Ocean in to Knight and Dean taking the win with a roll up.</p><p> </p><p>

Winners: <strong>The Liverpool Lads (D)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Danny Boy Collins © vs Chic Cullen</strong></p><p><strong>

British Heavy Middleweight Title</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Only Danny's title was on the line on this occasion. Sadly, Danny's gruelling schedule of recent weeks appeared to have taken the wind out of his sails slightly. That's not to say this wasn't a good match as both men gave it their all. Chic Cullen took the win though, hitting Danny with a stunning dropkick and then tying him up with a side chinlock. A loss for Collins, but he still holds EWA gold and even World Junior Heavyweight gold in the CWA. Chic meanwhile now has the British and World Heavy Middleweight belts.</p><p> </p><p>

Winner: <strong>Chic Cullen (C-)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Greg Valentine vs Dave Finlay</strong></p><p><strong>

EWA European Heavyweight Title Tournament - Final</strong></p><p> </p><p>

The perennial blue eyed boy Greg Valentine was getting his first shot at gold in All Star Wrestling and gave it his all against Dave Finlay. Finlay, a current two belt champion in the CWA, put everything in to this bout and saw a spirited fight from his opponent. One such display saw a flurry of european uppercuts from both men, ending with them holding each other up in the centre of the ring. The finish itself came as Finlay caught Valentine, during an attempted leapfrog, and slammed him to the canvas before getting the three count.</p><p> </p><p>

Winner: <strong>Dave Finlay (C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Post-Match, Finlay was attacked at ringside and both men brawled to the back. The fans at ringside who had read the event programme would have recognsided the attacker as CWA worker Rambo. <strong>(C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Prior to the next match, Mal Sanders was ordered backstage by Pat Roach. <strong>(D+)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Marty Jones © vs Sid Cooper</strong></p><p><strong>

World Mid-Heavyweight Title</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Cooper spent the early phase of this match using various underhand tactics, until Jones reacted and was warned by the Referee. The first fall came shortly after, Cooper this time being caught and given a DQ. The second fall then went to Cooper, who worked Jones left shoulder and took the submission with a grounded hammerlock hold. The third and final fall saw Jones atomic drop Cooper, who had just ringposted himself, then lock in a single legged crab.</p><p> </p><p>

Winner: <strong>Marty Jones (C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Tony St Clair © vs Giant Haystacks</strong></p><p><strong>

British Heavyweight Title</strong></p><p> </p><p>

This match had been building all month, both at home and abroad with St Clair having held the belt since May of 1993. Indeed you could say it's been building since 1979 when Tony St Clair defeated Giant Haystacks in Joint Promotions and brought the title to All Star. The match itself saw the usual tests of strength and St Clair trying everything to put Haystacks on his back. As it was, Haystacks did that all himself as he missed an elbow drop and St Clair was able to apply a camel clutch style hold. As the Referee asked Haystacks if he wanted to submit he found himself poked in the eye by the big man and the only thing he could do was call for the bell.</p><p> </p><p>

Winner: <strong>Tony St Clair by DQ (C+)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Overall: <strong>C+</strong></p>

Archived