frustrating

Alright, I love this game, it's really fun. But it's frustrating. I've already quit 3 career modes because I couldn't get any matches, and because I was losing so much money. This new rookie to legend career that I've started is going great. I've got contracts from 5 different feds, including a touring fed in Japan, which puts on a show every week, at 40 dollars a show! So I won't be losing nearly as much money, as I should be pulling in 250 dollars a month give or take, and I'll hopefully be getting some better offers. The problem with this one is, I can't frikkin win! So far I've had 6 matches and lost them all. The last 2 I've got hammered bad, one of them by a female. I can't figure out what to do. Half my moves get blocked, and the computer puts up 10-15 moves in a row on me. I can never, never hit any of my big moves. I don't like losing, and I'm not one for patience. any suggestions out there?

Keep chugging! If it's too frustrating at the moment, consider trying the Superstar mode for awhile. Try an existing Upper Midcarder for a few months and see if you can get him that title shot. It may not be as challenging as Rookie mode, but you'll at least get an opportunity to learn while still winning more than you lose. At present I am trying to get Remo Richardson to the top of SWF, and it's a lot of fun. I go through those stretches were I get pounded on, but it's not nearly as bad as when trying to advance as a rookie.

My advice is to try a variety of things until you figure out what works for your worker. My rookie got beat plenty of times in the first year but now it's rare for me to lose more than 10 matches in a year. Try taking it outside to avoid getting caught in a pinning situation. Try choosing a finisher with a higher frequency (or edit your own). Figure out which counter suits your style best. I'm working a Super Junior and the matches get down to the wire often, but my worker is really good at using "aviod" to stay in the match. Once you're a little further in, a manager helps, too!

Another key with the money factor is not to take small money on long term deals. Unless it's the deal I want, I never agree to a deal for longer than 6 months. That buys me enough time to get more over, then get a larger pay-out for the second part of the year. I started on $40 per show from 21CW, worked my way up the card to midcarder and got $81 per show. A few months later I was an upper midcarder and tag champ, my contract was then renewed at $326 per show. I took that one on an 18 month deal.

[QUOTE=Starman]Another key with the money factor is not to take small money on long term deals.[/QUOTE] This is so true! I was so stoked to get a written deal for the first time that I signed on for two years with BHOTWG at $960 a month. By the time my contract came up, I was Burning World Champ and 100 over in Japan. They offered $14000 a month, but I turned it down because I wanted to try a new market. Now I work for SWF at $24000 per month! :D So just keep going, the money comes eventually! Investments are a good idea, too. But from the sounds of the first post, that'll be awhile.

I think the money will come in for me now, but my record is horrible now. I'm like 2-13, and I just can't seem to get a win for anything. I've had some decent match ratings, usually I get no lower than a c, with several b's and b minuses, but in at least 2 of my matches, I've either been disqualified, or the computer beats me so bad that the match rating is either a d or an e. I'm afraid I'm gonna start losing my contracts and get kicked out of some feds if I don't start winning.

• 2 weeks later...
I am having similar problems. I can't seem to hit more than 3 moves in a row most of the time. Seriously, I can only hit high frequency moves like "knee drop" about one in ten times. I continuously lose to guys who have MUCH lower ability scores than me. While I have been able to win more than lose, my overness and spirit are not increasing at all, despite usually getting C+ and B- match ratings. Also, I have been released from every fed that I was about to win a feud in. I have officially given up on rookie to superstar because it is no longer fun.

[QUOTE=Barniferous]I am having similar problems. I can't seem to hit more than 3 moves in a row most of the time. Seriously, I can only hit high frequency moves like "knee drop" about one in ten times. I continuously lose to guys who have MUCH lower ability scores than me. While I have been able to win more than lose, my overness and spirit are not increasing at all, despite usually getting C+ and B- match ratings. Also, I have been released from every fed that I was about to win a feud in. I have officially given up on rookie to superstar because it is no longer fun.[/QUOTE] Overness wouldn't go up from a B-, that's not high enough. You can mainly gain overness from beating people who are more over than you. Same goes for Spirit increases, you need to be beating people with more Spirit than you (in essence, you are stealing Spirit from them). With the Knee Drop, are you fighting a smaller, faster opponent? If so, by giving them the chance to use Avoid, you are playing to their strengths. Perhaps it is a better strategy for your character to pick them up and try to wear them down with holds (i.e. keeping close to them, negating their speed).

Okay, seriously, I don't get it. I went to superstar mode. I picked Kozue Kawashima who has great stats. I picked moves that compliment his stats (a variety of power moves and some technical speed moves as well). So far 3 matches - 3 BAD losses. Obviously I must be some sort of idiot because people claim they are able to get ahead in the game. I am so frustrated with the game and the amount of time I have put into it that I have simply given up. I will go back to TEW, which at least presented me with a CHANCE of winning. Sorry for my complaints, but I am just sick of losing and can't seem to get a break. I have tried altering my style, I have read the FAQ, I have read the board and I just can't get ahead.

Why don't you do a description of one of your matches. Break it down into five minute periods, and tell us what sort of moves you were going for at each stage, and what sort of defences you were employing against him. If you're getting beaten this badly, it sounds very much like you've misunderstood something, perhaps we can spot what it is that you're doing wrong. Clearly it's not down entirely to the game, as there's a board full of people who are being successful, so it's definitely something we can help you with.

[quote=Barniferous]Obviously I must be some sort of idiot...[/quote] Try not to be so hard on yourself! Anyone with such amazing photography skills is not an iditot. :) (Love the Mt. Fuji and Nadi Botokesan Buddha pics!) WreSpi is a challenging game, but in the end it's just a game. If I may make a suggestion? If you've bought the game, start running some exhibition matches. Take control of Hell Monkey and assign the A.I. to use Eric Eisen (heh). Monkey has the advantage on just about all stats - but the most important would be stamina and toughness. Run a couple of those matches and see how you do. If you find yourself in trouble, take the fight to the outside. The man can't pin you if you're never in the ring. :)

Heh, I started 2 or 3 careers with technical wrestlers, and I couldn't get ahead at all. I'd win against guys like the Tic, but nobody else. Then I made a middleweight power wrestler, and I've been doing great. I had a losing record after the first 10 matches, now I'm 73/16. The only problem I have with the game, is that WLW just signed me for $324 an appearence (My next closest is 108) And they haven't booked me since. MOSC let me go, I quit ROF, and UCR wouldn't offer me enough money so I quit them too. But I liked WLW the best, I'm 18-0 there, I put on almost all B matches, and I started a feud with the owner (Koji Kojima). Was looking forward to getting over enough to fight for my first title, as I'm 25 or so in Japan. Any idea why I'm not getting booked?

How many weeks went by without you getting booked? Everyone seems to be getting pretty riled up about not being booked for a few weeks or losing a few matches. The game can span for decades - a few weeks is nothing to flip out about. I wasn't being booked in WLW for a long while until I finally won a few matches, got up to about 23 overness in Japan, then got four main event matches in a row against guys with well over 40 overness and double my spirit. Now I've been climbing in both overness and spirit like mad.

Archived