[HYPE] The Cream of the Crop (1989 Historical Mod)

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab203/ringrider/Cream%20of%20the%20Crop/CreamoftheCrop_zpsxonsqldn.jpg

1989: The Cream of the Crop

Coming Soon...

(by soon I mean it's going to be a while...)

(yes, I know that promo isn't from '89...but I love too much to pass up on using it as my mod title)

1989 might be one of my favorite years in the history of pro wrestling--the Mega Powers in the WWF and the Steamboat/Flair trilogy in the NWA/WCW...need I say more? Basically I have long wanted a mod that captures that awesome time period that first made me fall in love with the crazy art of pro wrestling as kid. While there have been '89 mods in the past, it's often seemed like an under-served time in history in my opinion. So I'd like to fix that.

I'll eventually update this page with all the obligatory backstory and historical significance of 1989 at a later date, but I feel as I'm a long way from that. In fact I am a long way from even completing a beta edition, but I thought I would post what I have done and my plans moving forward to be both self-motivating as well as seeking any potential partners who may want to assist with this project.

I am making large portions of the mod from scratch and have been working diligently for 1-2 hours every night for the past 3 weeks or so. That's yielded roughly 150 workers...so this baby is a long way off. That said, it's been the most fun I've had with TEW in a long time and something that recent events have really inspired me to get aggressive about.

What makes this mod different from previous 1989 mods?

-As I said earlier, I am making this mod largely from scratch. Being heavily inspired by Mammoth's accomplishment with his 1970 mod, I feel that having this mod be made from scratch will make all the mistakes my mistakes and won't have to worry about previous errors being copied over. (That's not to say I won't make mistakes...I'm sure I'll make plenty). That's certainly not a slight on any other modmaker, more simply to say that process is forcing me to comb through each profile, birth and debut dates, gimmicks, bodies, skills, pop, gender, etc. to make the best possible mod that I can.

-The mod is set to start on January 1st so the user can start the explosion of Mega Powers and the Steamboat/Flair rivalry right from the get go. If memory serves me correctly, previous '89 mods have picked up later in the year post-mania. I thought it might be more fun to have the option to make Hogan the heel (like he truly was...;))

-I am using Mammoth's gimmick file. This has been a staple of every one of my TEW games since it came into existence in TEW13. I think having a historical mod synced with this gimmick file will be helpful for any future mods due to the gimmick pack's wide-range of compatibility.

-Once completed, I'd like to make this mod freeware for any other mod maker to use as a base.

If this mod is so far away, why announce it so early?

Basically, I'd love it if any one wanted to step and join my effort to complete this mod. Currently I am looking for help in the following areas:

-Japan, Mexico, UK & Europe

While I am capable of researching event results and have more than a passing familiarity with some of the bigger stars of these regions, I will admit that I am pretty limited in my knowledge of the history of these locales. Details will be missed. If there is anyone who wanted to serve as an "expert" on one of these regions, the help would be greatly appreciated.

-Artists

I am currently syncing the mod to the nGo pic pack as justtxyank has previously given me permission to do so when I first attempted to do this project months ago. That said, I am not married to this idea and would love it if a cut-artist (or multiple artists) wanted to step up and work with me on a pic pack. I am not particularly partial to any one background--so whoever jumps in first and proves to be reliable will be the standard setter!

-Additional Help

Eventually I'll most likely be looking for help for locations and broadcasters, but I think I'm a long way off from that at the moment. However if these are areas that someone is particularly passionate about, don't be afraid to give me a shout.

Thanks to anyone who chooses to support this effort and hopefully this ambitious undertaking will yield a fun result that others will enjoy! :)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="HugeRockStar760" data-cite="HugeRockStar760" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="42884" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Just curious if this ever made any progress? This was an interesting time in wrestling.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yes I have made some progress. After some various things happened, I took some time away from modding and have recently just got going again. But, as you said, it's a great time in wrestling and one that's been great to study as I've been working on this.</p><p> </p><p> At the moment, I have about 300 workers in various states of completion. The WWF is more or less complete and WCW is getting very close.</p><p> </p><p> As I said in my opening post, I basically making much of this mod from scratch, so it's time consuming. I'm working daily for at least an hour or more, but I couldn't even venture a guess as to a completion date.</p><p> </p><p> I am still open to help, especially in the areas of Mexico, Japan, Europe, and the UK if everyone is interested.</p>

Archived