For Arlie - Questions on Gameplanning and Delegation

If anyone else knows the answers, feel free to chime in of course, but based on a lot of searching here and in BBCF league forums I doubt anyone can actually answer these but Arlie.

When you delegate gameplanning to your coordinators, do they just pick one of the default gameplans (like <TEAM>_IR, TEAM_OR,etc.) and/or any custom gameplans you have created, or do they create their own gameplans (that aren't visible to you)? And do they go as far as using the playbook or just Formation strategy, carry and blitz %s etc?

Also, do they look at matchups and manipulate the depth chart to get better matchups (with depth chart delegated of course)? It seems like the CPU teams might do that but not sure if my coordinators do.

I guess what I basically want to know is if delegating depth chart and gameplanning puts you on equal footing with the CPU (dependent on your coordinators gameplanning skill) or if the CPU-managed teams do more in depth game planning than your coordinators.

Just curious;I'd love to use the delegation more but it just doesn't seem to give the results (at least on offense) that doing it yourself does. I'm okay with that to a point; the more work you do yourself, the better the results should be (assuming you understand what you are doing which is debatable in my case), but I'd like to know that whether delegation can be effective. I know for building up small schools, I have never had any good results without doing the gameplanning or (even better) calling the games. I eventually stopped calling my games because it felt like a cheat; my teams over-performed dramatically when I called the plays (at least overall; couldn't rush to save my life). But delegating the game planning seemed to cause underperformance or at least wild inconsistency.

At one time you had given some tips on a Gamespy BBCF league forum about gameplanning, but unfortunately with the death of Gamespy, the post is gone. I can find threads where people provide the link to it, but the link is dead and even the Waybackmachine doesn't have it.

Any chance you could give some tips on how gameplanning works and how to make it less tedious? Not asking you to give away secrets or anything, just some extra information would be nice, especially on making it less time consuming.

It's really only time consuming in the initial setup. After that it's tweaking. I don't recommend trying to have a new gameplan every week for each opponent. Not worth it.

A key stat for your coordinators is Gameplan. This indicates how closely they follow your set gameplan (if you are just simming out the games). Even a "blue" rated OC/DC will not follow 100% but it will be much better than a "red" rated coach.

If you are playing the AI, you should dominate eventually although a Louisiana-Monroe won't compete with an Alabama for example.

As Ragin Cajun said, a lot of it depends on your staff if you delegate. The AI will use one of the stock plans that best fits the opp (again depending on your OC's ability) and then make some tweaks based on how things go. If you have a bad OC, then you are better off calling plays - but with a solid to good gameplanning OC, you should get pretty strong results.

Thanks for the replies!

So if I create a custom gameplan and then delegate, they will not use that (only running with one of the stock gameplans)? And the gameplanning rating for coordinators is how closely they follow the gameplan, not how well they gameplan themselves?

Correct for the second part. If you create a custom gameplan...and then check the box on that screen (you can select either gameplan or playbook).

Gameplan is more generic while playbook is more specific to what you might want to do. I've won with both.

The OC/DC never do their own gameplanning but will only follow whichever you designate (gameplan or playbook) and then their Gameplan rating is how closely they will adhere to that plan.

<p>That actually explains a lot!</p><p> </p><p>

I didn't delegate my last game (depth chart or gameplanning), selected the stock IR plan for my Balanced offense team (since noodle-armed QB, crap receivers and line and decent inside back, seemed like best of stock options) and carefully went through playbook picking what seemed like best options (no PA passes from passing formations since run fake isn't believable, very little drop-back from running formations since line can't protect anyway, draws and counters from passing formations, no draws from running formations, etc.).</p><p> </p><p>

With simming the game, we only ran 27 times (pretty well actually) and threw 39 times including going 0-5 on long passes with 4 picks and 4-13 on medium passes with 1 pick. This in a game that we were leading until late in the 4th; not remotely what I had in mind. I wanted to pound the rock, play field position, keep it close and see if we could sneak a win.</p><p> </p><p>

But my Run and Gun OC with Red gameplanning explains so much now. If the OC had remotely followed the gameplan we would have won; we had 7 turnovers, all 17 of their points came directly or indirectly (short field) from those turnovers and we only lost 17-14. The defense balled out, but OC playcalling killed us. Maddening but I understand a little better why that happens now.</p>

Archived