For Arlie - Question on Height/Weight

Are height/weight additional factors in play simulation? Or are the results strictly dependent on the ratings (with maybe height/weight factoring into those ratings but not influencing the play directly)?

For example:

DE (6'2 270) with PRM of 65 vs. OT (6'5 320) with PB of 65. Is the contest basically a coin-flip due to equal ratings (assuming those are the ratings that are in opposition for pash rush; probably not this simple)? Or does the OT get a bonus for being so much bigger on top of the ratings?

Or are height/weight just part of setting the skill ratings (like a bigger player gets a bonus to his PB rating among other skills, but the PB rating is all that matters for pass blocking)?

Initial height/weight does tend to help explain their skillset. IE, a 6-2, 225 WR is probably going to be a better run blocker than a 5-9, 170 guy. But, RC is right again, playing outside your "optimal" weight does decrease their ability to hit their potential. The optimal weight is different for every player/position and hidden, but you can use some common sense to get close. you don't want a WR over 250 pounds for speed or a DE/LB over 300 pounds for pass rush.

Okay, I knew about going overweight causing players performance to drop (love it when I start a dynasty and have players created overweight; annoying but realistic).

If players are otherwise equal, is the bigger player "better"? I suppose it depends on what they are doing; being heavier in real life would make you more effective blocking (if everything else was equal which it never is) but wondering if that is true in game. Would being a bigger OLineman help cancel out a technique/athleticism advantage for the pass rusher? And for receivers; if two receivers are equal in every respect but height, does the height actually help them in game?

And if these questions are delving too far into how the engine works, that's fine and I'll drop it. Again, not trying to crack the game or anything, just wondering if I should be paying more attention to height and weight. I usually go from ratings over everything else.

Okay, I knew about going overweight causing players performance to drop (love it when I start a dynasty and have players created overweight; annoying but realistic).

If players are otherwise equal, is the bigger player "better"? I suppose it depends on what they are doing; being heavier in real life would make you more effective blocking (if everything else was equal which it never is) but wondering if that is true in game. Would being a bigger OLineman help cancel out a technique/athleticism advantage for the pass rusher? And for receivers; if two receivers are equal in every respect but height, does the height actually help them in game?

And if these questions are delving too far into how the engine works, that's fine and I'll drop it. Again, not trying to crack the game or anything, just wondering if I should be paying more attention to height and weight. I usually go from ratings over everything else.

I've never got hung on on height/weight. Now, I steer away from 5'8 receivers unless I may use them in the slot but I won't count on one for my #1 or #2 WR slot. Or possibly as a return guy.

I honestly never truly look at weight, etc in recruiting but heavier would be better for a power O-Line if you want to be run heavy. Lighter would be more finesse for pass blocking and option style attacking with pulling guards etc. Outside of that I've never paid much attention.

Yeah, I wouldn't let it detract your from recruiting or signing an elite prospect. But, it can help you understand if a player isn't hitting their potential. I would more use it as a playing time factor. IE, you have two 4-star freshmen CBs and one is at a better weight - I might play him more initially as he has a better chance to develop quicker.

Archived