Populatity gain questions

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's got an issue with how the popularity gains work now. I started up my first RTG game recently and within 7 months of game time came to realize that RTG is essentially unplayable in this game. If I run a show a month it will take me 5 years to grow to local size assuming my company lasts that long with how much monthly income has been cut down. It's hard enough to afford decent talent to help my character grow but I'm now wasting 5 prime years of improvement doing nothing matches with the cheapest talent possible trying to just keep the doors open. Another issue I have is that there is no way running a show a month for nearly a year I should still only be getting a dozen or so fans each show, I should be experiencing some growth in attendance which would also help my finances but can't because it's tied to my popularity which will only go up .1% no matter how good my shows are which is not at all realistic. Growing to local running consistent shows shouldn't take more than a couple years and if continued hitting regional within 5 years should be normal.

Yeah. Not a fan of how slow the pop gains go. There should be a happy medium somewhere. Maybe a scaled pop gain based on size where lower level goes faster and pop gains slow the larger you get and how well your cards do has a greater affect at lower levels?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="d12345" data-cite="d12345" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43055" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I've worked in the tv/film industry and I'd say this is accurate to how many execs in Hollywood feel. They don't care about the cohesiveness of your tv shows storylines. They care about who the stars of the show are and how popular they are.<p> </p><p> You don't need to challenge yourself in real life if you don't want to in the tv world. TEW does a good job of simulating that IMO</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> OK that just sounds like sour grapes but your opinion isn't anything new.</p><p> </p><p> WCW was sold among heavy allegations that Time Warner execs simply did not want wrestling to be their number one show. WWF/E has moved across multiple networks in the US while keeping high ratings, and a notable few of those shifts were suspected to have been forced. That doesn't reflect the "you don't have to challenge yourself" remark at all, and definitely doesn't mean you should just be sitting pretty once you hit the big time, even if you are putting on amazing shows with the biggest/most skilled stars.</p><p> </p><p> ROH was bought without expressed interest (as opposed to JCP with TBS) by SBG, which owns more TV stations in the US than any other company.</p><p> </p><p> I'm not saying popularity shouldn't be important, I'm saying there should be more reason to get invested in the business side of the game, especially when the big draw of the C-Verse (the base of TEW) is that wrestling didn't monopolize or bust and the promotion wars never ended.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="havok" data-cite="havok" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43055" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>also that really is the same way with wwe. what gets them an increase in ratings? the incredible john cena vs hbk 1 hour match or the fact that the Rock or Goldberg or Austin returns?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That wouldn't increase the ratings in TEW. The ratings don't shift around like they can in reality. The whole point me and a couple other guys are getting at is that hotshotting a show with big stars/great performances/hot storylines wouldn't do a dang thing to your rating and only up your subsequent show's rating by a tiny increment. The popularity mechanic doesn't make sense as anything other than a mechanic, and without bigger shifts it's specifically a dull mechanic.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="havok" data-cite="havok" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43055" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>starting with a small company actually gives you a challenge. like my product was going great and i was beating rivals in regional battles but then suddenly i got raided and all my top talent is gone. so now i need to decide do i try to make my lower card guys into main eventers and sacrifice my pop gains since it means i will lose every regional battle or do i risk running into debt by signing a few big names to win regional battles so that way i don't lose so much pop from coming in last in the battle.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The point was the bland grind, not the challenge. I was talking about wanting more dynamic change, not slow, incremental, predictable change.</p><p> </p><p> I mean, you're talking about a mechanic where the threat is "you'll stay smaller longer." That would be a bit better if there was a reason to try and get out of that level quickly, but there just isn't. Your efforts are rewarded by being locked in Limbo because of how slow pop is gained. The winners of regional battles don't even get pop boosts and the AI winners will just stay at Regional and never move to cult because they're only running one show a month. They're like gatekeepers of an abandoned ghost house, or a paperweight RPG boss that's just there for you to kill on your way to seeing the next cutscene or new environment, but not until you grind for another 2-60 hours for the magic "sabre of slashing" that allows you to kill it. If I'm already good enough at the game to kill it then just let me kill it, you know?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="guyver3" data-cite="guyver3" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43055" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Glad to see I'm not the only one who's got an issue with how the popularity gains work now. I started up my first RTG game recently and within 7 months of game time came to realize that RTG is essentially unplayable in this game. If I run a show a month it will take me 5 years to grow to local size assuming my company lasts that long with how much monthly income has been cut down. It's hard enough to afford decent talent to help my character grow but I'm now wasting 5 prime years of improvement doing nothing matches with the cheapest talent possible trying to just keep the doors open. Another issue I have is that there is no way running a show a month for nearly a year I should still only be getting a dozen or so fans each show, I should be experiencing some growth in attendance which would also help my finances but can't because it's tied to my popularity which will only go up .1% no matter how good my shows are which is not at all realistic. Growing to local running consistent shows shouldn't take more than a couple years and if continued hitting regional within 5 years should be normal.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> well this is absolutley wrong. your pop does not only increase 0.1 if you run a show. it only increases that if your on a tiny tv station. which why on earth is a local fed on tv. if the economy is great you can get a 0.6 increase. i run a rtg game and the economy was great when i started and i got to small in less than a year putting on 1 and sometimes 2 shows a month. the only time you have to worry about getting a 0.1 is if the economy is in the toliet or you are on a tiny tv station.</p>

I'm not on TV I'm running monthly shows and only gaining .1% popularity per show I tested it after I saw I was still at 0% running 3 shows in my seventh month and each show averaging about an E. I started over and began running weekly shows and after 2 months had .8% popularity still drawing a dozen fans each show.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="guyver3" data-cite="guyver3" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43055" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm not on TV I'm running monthly shows and only gaining .1% popularity per show I tested it after I saw I was still at 0% running 3 shows in my seventh month and each show averaging about an E. I started over and began running weekly shows and after 2 months had .8% popularity still drawing a dozen fans each show.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> is you industry in the toliet? E- or below? cause its not possible with the game mechanics to have the industry in the game be and A or even a B or C and only be getting 0.1 pop gains. </p><p> </p><p> i just held a show as a small company with a industry at C- and got 0.3 pop gain. </p><p> </p><p> but its not possible to have the industry doing great and only be getting a 0.1 pop increase per show. if your game is getting that then you need to send a message on the technical forums because its a bug in your game.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="havok" data-cite="havok" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43055" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>is you industry in the toliet? E- or below? cause its not possible with the game mechanics to have the industry in the game be and A or even a B or C and only be getting 0.1 pop gains. <p> </p><p> i just held a show as a small company with a industry at C- and got 0.3 pop gain. </p><p> </p><p> but its not possible to have the industry doing great and only be getting a 0.1 pop increase per show. if your game is getting that then you need to send a message on the technical forums because its a bug in your game.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> My wrestling industry is at 62 C. I just ran a show rated 90 in a region where my pop is 42 and I only gained 0.1 pop.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Dr_Avalanche" data-cite="Dr_Avalanche" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43055" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Are you using the latest patch? Pop gain has been going through some issues that were fixed with the most recent update.<p> </p><p> Another possible reason, but less likely if you are putting on 90-rated events, is if you are losing a regional battle.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks for the info Doc! I'm actually using 1.37, so I'll grab 1.38 II, see what happens after my next show and post the results here. As far as the regional battles go, I've never lost one in almost 3 years of game time and just won all 3 that I'm involved in again just 2 days after the aforementioned 90 rated show.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ink625" data-cite="ink625" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43055" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>My wrestling industry is at 62 C. I just ran a show rated 90 in a region where my pop is 42 and I only gained 0.1 pop.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> As the above poster suggested, you do not appear to be using the latest patch. You seem to be under 1.37 or 1.38, not 1.38 Part II.</p><p> </p><p> Under those conditions, and using the latest patch, a Local or Small company would be making a minimum of 0.2 gains and a maximum of 0.3. A Regional company would make between 0.4 and 0.6. </p><p> </p><p> Using those conditions and the latest patch but with a strong industry, a Local or Small company would be making between 0.45 and 0.6. A Regional company would be making between 0.7 and 0.9.</p><p> </p><p> Note that all this is just from the show itself, it does not preclude that you may be losing popularity between the end of the show and going to your office, such as from losing regional battles or other penalties.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43055" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As the above poster suggested, you do not appear to be using the latest patch. You seem to be under 1.37 or 1.38, not 1.38 Part II.<p> </p><p> Under those conditions, and using the latest patch, a Local or Small company would be making a minimum of 0.2 gains and a maximum of 0.3. A Regional company would make between 0.4 and 0.6. </p><p> </p><p> Using those conditions and the latest patch but with a strong industry, a Local or Small company would be making between 0.45 and 0.6. A Regional company would be making between 0.7 and 0.9.</p><p> </p><p> Note that all this is just from the show itself, it does not preclude that you may be losing popularity between the end of the show and going to your office, such as from losing regional battles or other penalties.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I just downloaded 1.38 Part II and ran my next show. It scored a 90 in a region where my popularity was 65 and I gained 0.3 pop. Does that sound accurate based on the information I've given below?</p><p> </p><p> - Regional Level Company</p><p> - Never lost a Regional Battle</p><p> - Wrestling Industry at 62</p>

Archived