Vulnerable, not really...

So i just had an hour time limit draw playing as Flair vs The Destroyer, i was working through the moves starting from getting him from defending to stunned to vulnerable.

He however blocked every single finishing move i tried to use and even flairs drop toe hold *high* move, my momentum was full yet i could not use any high or finishing moves on him, I am literally lost as to how i am supposed to finish a match in this game.

Do you understand what figures are being used for the calculation? And are you making use of the on-screen information that tells you exactly why a move hits or misses?

I ask because your post noticeably didn't include any numbers or percentages, so it gives the impression that you're playing "arcade style" and just picking moves based on their level; this is not really a good way to play the game, and will usually lead to frustration if you don't understand why things happen the way they do or what percentages you're dealing with. You are far better off reading the documentation and using the on-screen info to gain an understanding of what the engine is doing first.

If you're using the on-screen pop-up help (*) you can see exactly what the roll was and so can see exactly whether you're being unlucky or not.

If the move was genuinely a finisher with an overall 40% chance that would require a roll of 401 or above out of 1000 to fail - that would be very unlikely to happen 12 times in a row (but statistically not impossible). That said, 40% is the absolute maximum possible for a finisher, and a Break counter would reduce that, so it is unlikely that your final chance was 40%.

Perhaps look into what rolls you get and check what the exact target is - maybe even post them here so that I can see? To clarify, I'm talking about the final target, once all the bonuses and penalties have been applied - again, 40% does not sound right for a finisher-level move against a Break counter, which is why I think you might be confusing the starting values with the end-of-calculation values.

(*) Please make you sure you're looking at the right thing, btw; I'm not talking about the stats for the move that are shown when selecting it, I'm talking about the Calculation button on the move result screen that pops up a detailed analysis of the figures being used. It will tell you exactly what the rolls and target were each time.

• 9 months later...

<p>Just fired it up for an exhibition or two. I hadn't played Wrestling Spirit in a loooong time, and now I remember why. I play a lot of RNG based Sports sims and I've seen pretty much everything. But this is the only such game that I've ever called absurd. Sorry dude... this game is absurd. </p><p> </p><p>

It had been a long time, but I remember the MO for Wrestling Spirit was that I'd beat my opponent to a pulp, be unable to hit a finisher even when they were at 0% with low momentum, then the opponent would without fail pull a couple of low percentage moves out of their ass and win the match.</p><p> </p><p>

So I picked an easy one... I was a male heavyweight up against a very small sized female. I had my opponent down, vulnerable, and at 0% and couldn't hit my finisher. Then she stuck me with a move (don't remember which) and after that, I couldn't stop her from manhandling me. I was losing strength based rolls at this point. More than one such roll. Where my strength was 400 or 500 points higher than hers.</p><p> </p><p>

When I inevitably lost that fight, I wasn't even irritated. I just started laughing. WMMA and TEW and the Basketball sims here are great, but I don't know how the Wrestling Spirit franchise has been popular enough to spawn two sequels.</p>

...When I inevitably lost that fight, I wasn't even irritated. I just started laughing. WMMA and TEW and the Basketball sims here are great, but I don't know how the Wrestling Spirit franchise has been popular enough to spawn two sequels.

To each their own. I feel the match engine in this is one of Mr. Ryland’s best works. I have played all three games extensively, yet never experienced the extreme examples posted here.

Yeah, I haven't played the game much if at all because I prefer his main two games, but theoretically it seems solid. It's literally all numbers, so the two situations presented here are exceptions. I think that if you spam finishers consecutively, the opponent gets a defense bonus as well.

Don't tell me who've never seen a pro wrestling match where an obliterated opponent ends up stringing moves together and winning the match. It happens at least once a year. This type of finish has to be statistically possible in the game.

If there's ever a next installment, it would be a great idea to give the player control over finisher accuracy and damage. Even the mediocre WWE2k series has it, and it caters to the finisher purists.

• 4 months later...

<p>Yeah, I only really try for a finisher when I have super-high momentum and they got nothing. Sometimes I can make it a coin flip.</p><p> </p><p>

That said, I think against...Nicolas Lopez, he had so many high-flying bonuses that I think even his high moves got 50%+ on me.</p><p> </p><p>

That...was <em>not</em> a pretty match >_></p><p> </p><p>

But yeah, I spam low stuff, a few strikes, then a <em>bunch</em> of nerve pinches until they're vulnerable. I also like to use the bow-and-arrow holds to grind out their body part damages to the red.</p>

• 1 year later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43101" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>To each their own. I feel the match engine in this is one of Mr. Ryland’s best works. I have played all three games <a href="" rel=""><span style="color:#000000;">this page</span></a><span style="color:#000000;">' date=' yet never experienced the extreme examples posted here.[/quote']</span><p><span style="color:#000000;"> </span></p><p><span style="color:#000000;"> Agree.</span></p></div></blockquote>

Archived