The Ballad of “Sweet” Johnny Smith

Life is a funny thing sometimes, one minute you're packing your bags for a trip to the RIPW training center as part of your offer to join SWF and the next you're shaking hands with Larry Vessey, sealing a deal to join NYCW.

Let me back up for a second and introduce myself. The name's “Sweet” Johnny Smith and if you don't recognize the name I don't blame you. Fact of the matter is, I'm just another wrestling fan trying to break into the business. I'm not sure if it was my college wrestling career, the audition tape I sent in, the fact that I went to school near the RIPW enhancement center, or some combination of those facts that caused “Mean” Jean Cattley to offer me a spot on the RIPW roster. Whatever the case was, I was all set to start my wrestling career when I received a phone call from my mother. My father had just had a heart attack and despite assurances that he was okay, I decided to fly out to New York to see him. I informed the RIPW offices of my situation and they send they would hold my spot on the roster for two weeks, but if I wasn't there for the January show then my spot would go to another talent they had their eyes on.

When I got back to New York I spent the next week by my father's side despite his objections that I was smothering him. My mother, sensing that I might be getting on my father's nerves, told me I should go to Papa Enzo's Pizza before they closed it down. If you're wondering why my mother would suggest that, well Papa Enzo's was where I worked for four years while I was in high school. The owner, “Big” Bobby McGee paid me in cash, which helped me to keep my scholarship money while still making enough money to help out my family with their bills. Every time I was back in New York, whether it was just a weekend trip or a long holiday break, I would visit and order the best damn pizza in Long Island.

When I got to Papa Enzo's the place looked like a shell of it's former self. The outdoor area no longer had any chairs or tables, instead a lone bench sat near the front of the building. The bright neon sign that flashed like a beacon in the night was replaced by cheap wooden one with no lights. The store hours, which was a major factor in Papa Enzo's success, had gone from a twenty four hour a day pizza place to being open just eight hours a day. Mr. McGee explained to me that he couldn't find anyone willing to work the graveyard shift and he was forced to go to the new store hours early last year. After losing the late night drunk crowd that made up sixty percent of his business he had to start scaling back on things, leading to the removal of his neon sign and outdoor area. No longer having to pay to light the sign, keep his outdoor vendor license, and working more days himself kept the restaurant open for a time, but he could tell his days were numbered. Noticing the NYCW flyer in the window, I asked Mr. McGee if he was still sponsoring the shows and he told me he was, despite his feeling that he wasn't getting as many customers from it as he had a few years ago. I don't know what made me offer to renegotiate the advertising deal with NYCW, but I did and Mr. McGee agreed that it was worth a shot.

To my surprise, Larry Vessey himself greeted me when I stepped into the NYCW offices. After my initial mark out moment I explained to him why I was there. Vessey told me that NYCW was in no position to renegotiate advertising deals at the time as they themselves were struggling to survive. I told Vessey I understood, after all it was quite apparent that NYCW was so far behind the times that it would probably close within the year anyway. This shocked Vessay, as he believed business was down do to the wrestling business itself falling out of fashion and not because he was running NYCW just as The Stomper had since NYCW opened. Vessey then shocked me by offering me a spot on the NYCW booking committee. I told Vessey that normally I would take that offer in aheartbeat, but I was going to be starting a wrestling career with RIPW as soon s I got back to Rhode Island. That is when Vessey shocked me a second time and offered me a spot on the NYCW roster along with my spot on the booking committee. He assured me it was far better to be in charge of my career then to let Cattley determine my future. I had no argument for that, but I still told him I would have to think about it. Vessey gave me a day to come back with an answer and we shook hands as I had the biggest decision of my life to mull over.

For damn near everyone this would be a no-brainer situation. RIPW was the developmental company for SWF and unless I screwed up I would most likely get a job with SWF in a few years. Sure, SWF was no loner the top wrestling company in the country, but it was still miles ahead of NYCW. However, if I signed with NYCW I could determine my wrestling path, learn some backstage skills, and if I can improve NYCW then Papa Enzo's Pizza might just get some more business by being our sponsor. Yeah, it was a no-brainer situation after all. I returned to the NYCW offices the next day and informed Larry Vessey that he had a new employee.

<p>After calling the RIPW offices and informing them I would not be coming after all, I headed down to Brooklyn to meet Vessey in the NYCW offices. Just like the day before, Vessey was all alone in the dingy office building. Larry briefly looked up from his desk when I walked in before clacking away at his computer. Piled up on his desk were various folders filled with business reports and financial records. Without saying a word Larry reached into his pile of papers and handed me a folder containing the list of NYCW employees. As I stood there thumbing through the folder Larry finally spoke. He told me he wanted my opinions on the current roster as well as the NYCW staff before our next show. He added there was a small room on the right that I could make my office, but that I would have to provide my own office equipment. What follows is the report I sent to Vessey...</p><p> </p><p>

NYCW Roster Evaluation for January 2016</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Main Event</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">“Bulldozer” Brandon Smith</span> – A former 2 time NYCW Tri-State Regional Champion, Brandon Smith is the least popular member of the main event scene. After playing a good guy in NYCW for several years the fans are starting to doubt his bad ass persona so we may to shake things up by downplaying his mean streak and playing up his pure power. In addition to his need for a gimmick change, we need to figure out how to make him a believable contender for the NYCW Empire Championship again. After 5 years in NYCW the fans are starting to think Brandon will never capture the Empire Championship.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Honest Frank</span> – Even though he is a former 3 time NYCW Empire Champion, Honest Frank is only slightly more popular than Brandon Smith. Reliable and working a city slicker gimmick that is quite over with the fans, Honest Frank's spot on the NYCW roster is secure for as long as he wants it. However, at 45 and quite a few years past his prime his time in the main event may just about be up.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">“Man Mountain” Cahill</span> – Another former 2 time NYCW Empire Champion, Cahill is the most well known member of the NYCW roster but he is circling retirement and has been used sparingly over the last few months. Not much of a in-ring worker, but he plays a great monster heel that the fans believe could capture the Empire title at a moment's notice. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Roger Cage</span> – The current Empire Champion(3x) and former Roger Dodger is the hottest talent in NYCW right now. A few of the bigger companies have been sniffing around Cage, but I hope he stays loyal to NYCW or we could see attendance nose dive. It should be noted that the man David Mack once said “couldn't beat a paper bag in the ring” is one of the best in-ring talents NYCW has at the moment. With the sexy Cheerleader Nicki at his side I don't see his popularity waning anytime soon.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Steve Flash</span> – Considered by many as the greatest indy wrestler of all time, Flash is over 8 years past his prime. Despite his age and skill decline Steve is still better in the ring than most of the NYCW roster. His position as head booker means he will be around for quite some time which means I will have to learn quite a bit of both in-ring and out of the ring skills from him.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Upper Card</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Animal Harker</span> – One half of the NYCW Tag Team Champions, the wild and rough Animal Harker is more “Wildman” Sullivan and less Tommy Cornell. Alongside Tennessee Williams as the Southern Stars, Animal is the kind of guy the fans of NYCW love to rally behind. Recently Animal has been working for BCG as well as us, so we have to be aware of his schedule so as not to book the tag champs on a date Harker is overseas. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">The Ring Generals(“Deadly” Dean Waldorf & “Marvelous” Marv Statler)</span> – Having spent almost their entire careers together as a team the fans often consider them as one unit and not two individuals, which is how the NYCW booking team treats them. Both men are really good in the ring and the fans have been begging to see them face off with the Southern Stars, but as both teams are faces it has yet to happen. A good manager would do wonders for these two so I should keep my eyes and ears open for any managers that are free agents.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">”Old School” Rick Sanders</span> – A 4x NYCW Tag Team Champion alongside The Masked Mauler, Sanders has struggled a bit in the singles division. About five years past his prime there is some doubts Sanders will get another run with the tag belts. Despite this, Sanders still can go in the ring and he has been a great presence backstage.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">The Masked Mauler</span> – The other half of Old School Principles with Rick Sanders, The Masked Mauler is a decent in-ring talent that also struggles in the singles division. As he is a legacy character we may be able to pass the mantle of The Masked Mauler to a younger talent when the current wrestler chooses to retire. If Sanders retires first, we would need to find him a new partner or cut our losses as he isn't worth the trouble of a singles push.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Mid Card</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Andrew Harper</span> – Harper has got over with the fans by choke slamming his opponents through a table after his matches, but it appears that has gotten him as far as it is going to take him. Not very good in the ring, not too menacing, nor does he have a great look so Harper's days may be numbered in NYCW unless he does something to reignite fan interest.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">“The Dealer” Crockett Tubbs</span> – The current NYCW Tri-State Regional Champion, Crockett Tubbs is decent in the ring but he lacks that something special to ever be the man in NYCW. His days as NYCW Tri-State Regional Champion are numbered as there are better candidates to hold that title before taking the plunge into the main event.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Geoff “Air” Borne</span> – A great in ring talent that is quite out of place in NYCW. His high flying style is stifled by having to face the slow plodding brawlers in NYCW. We either need to hire a few more high flyers to allow Geoff to show off his style or let him go ply his trade in a better environment like CZCW.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">The Boys From The Yukon(“Howlin Mad” Mort & Whitehorse Whittaker)</span> – Like the Ring Generals, The Boys From The Yukon are seen as one unit and not individuals. These guys are your basic generic brawling tag team, but the fans seem to like them a bit. As they are in their mid thirties I doubt they will improve much so I don't expect them to move out of the Mid Card unless they slide down the card.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Tennessee Williams</span> – The other half of the NYCW tag team champions, Tennessee Williams is the lesser of the two as far as in-ring work goes. On a side note he doesn't just play the part of a blues singer, he actually is part of a band that plays in his hometown of Louisville. If he doesn't improve his in-ring work he could find himself looking for a job somewhere else.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">The New York Doll</span> – After 11 years in NYCW it doesn't seem like The New York Doll is going to ever bee more than a mid card talent. His tag team with Geoff Borne is stifled by their lack of opponents that can bring out the most in Geoff's style. This NYCW staple will continue to have a job, but probably not a push.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Lower Card</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Brutus Milano</span> – Big, muscular, and having more ups than downs, Brutus can either become a huge hit or giant flop depending on what he does in the next few months. The booking committee is already throwing around ideas for Milano's next gimmick, as his bully gimmick has been a huge failure, but Vessey says I have final say in what direction we take Milano. So, no pressure...</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Dermot O' Logical</span> – Dermot is another worker that just doesn't quite fit in NYCW. Right off the bat we need to have Dermot lose the skin cream slathered on his face when he wrestles, it's pretty off putting. He will never be considered a contender for the Empire Championship, but we can still try to make him look like an actual wrestler.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Devastating Don</span> – More of an attraction than an actual wrestler, Don would benefit from limiting his exposure and putting him in battle royales where his lack of mobility and large girth are seen as an advantage. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Freedom Eagle</span> – A patriotic wrestler will always draw money if booked strong, so the sky is the limit for the 22 year old Freedom Eagle. Sadly Whistler retired before Freedom debuted as he would have gotten quite the rub from Whistler handing over the Flag to the youngster. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">”Sweet” Johnny Smith</span> – Untested, but full of potential. I refuse to waste this opportunity and hope the guys in NYCW are willing to work with the new guy.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Jobbers</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Hawkeye Calhoun</span> – The last of the out of place trio, Hawkeye looks completely out of place in NYCW. As a kid friendly character he has done little to bring in the fans, but Vessey loves the gimmick so we are stuck with him. His young age means we have plenty of time to improve his skills before ditching the mask and debuting as a new worker.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Staff</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Cheerleader Nicki</span> – Nothing more than a pretty face, she is the valet for Roger Cage and it is her presence that keeps the male fans from turning on him.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Ernie Turner</span> – Retired wrestlers turned color commentators is a staple in wrestling and lucky for us Ernie is great at it. Few color men are as good as he is and I would be shocked if no bigger company comes in and snaps him up.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Fern Hathaway</span> – Another pretty face, Fern is a manager with no client and no clear idea what is up next for her in NYCW. If we don't find her a client that meshes well with her she could be looking for a new job.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Larry Vessey</span> – My boss and one of the best road agents around. I look forward to learn as much as I could from him.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Michael Bull</span> – A great referee and NYCW staple, I wonder why he has wasted his talents here but I am glad he has. Like Turner and Cage, I'm worried what would happen if he gets a job offer from a bigger promotion.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Rock Downpour</span> – The voice of NYCW, he rose to the occasion after Marvin Earnest left. He is very talented and I am glad to have him calling our matches.</p>

<p>With a week until the first NYCW show of the new year, Rumble in the Bronx, Larry Vessey called a meeting of the booking team. I knew that Steven Flash would be joining Larry and myself but I had no idea that Ernie Turner was going to be attending the meeting. As the meeting started Vessey let me know that NYCW would not be hiring any new talent for quite some time, but I had to break it to Larry that I already sent feelers out to a few talents. Larry was a bit upset, but he did applaud my enthusiasm. He said he would let my offers stand since he did not want NYCW to look bad, but that from here on out I would run by him any offers I was considering sending out. </p><p> </p><p>

After Larry was done dressing me down in front of Flash and Turner, he let the three of know that Animal Harker suffered a torn ligament in his knee while wrestling for GCW. Apparently Giant Brody botched a move and Animal suffered as a result. I told Larry this was the reason we had to dissuade our workers from picking up contracts with other promotions, but Larry said we couldn't keep our talent from making money while they could. Although, he was open to offering written contracts should NYCW ever achieve a cult status size. With Harker sidelined we had to ditch the planned NYCW Tag Team Championship match and try to come up with a way to sell Harker's injury. Steve suggested that we book Crockett Tubbs and the NYCW Tri-State Regional title to compensate for the lack of a tag team championship. Larry agreed and asked me to come up with an angle for Harker.</p><p> </p><p>

With that issue dealt with, we discussed the feud between Roger Cage and Honest Frank and whether we should book an Empire Championship match for Rumble in the Bronx. Turner and Flash were split, with Turner for it, and Larry abstained in order to leave me with the deciding vote. I would learn later that this was one of many “test” Larry gave me over the years to determine if I had what it takes to be a booker. I listened to both Turner and Flash's reasons for and against the match before siding with Turner, however with one slight caveat. As Cage and Frank met several times over the years already, I suggested we up the ante by turning it into a cage match and let the fans know NYCW was a must watch promotion. Larry loved the idea and so it was booked.</p><p> </p><p>

We spent the rest of the night ironing out the details of the first show and drinking copious amounts of booze. I woke up with a wicked hangover to the sound of Larry making coffee and looking like he slept all night, instead of downing the twelve pack of Busch Bavarian that I saw him drink. Flash and Turner were entered the office a few minutes later, also looking well rested, carrying breakfast. The three old timers joked about a “young pup” not being able to hang with the big dogs just yet. I got up and was about to disagree when I felt something other than words wanting to come out to say hi. I rushed past Larry and made an offering to the porcelain god, confused about when I last ate corn as the “big dogs” laughed their heads off at my predicament. All and all, I would say my first booking meeting was a success.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">NYCW Rumble in the Bronx!</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Main Event: NYCW Empire Championship Cage Match</strong></p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Roger Cage</span>© w/ <span style="color:#0000FF;">Cheerleader Nicki</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Honest Frank</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Steve Flash</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Rick Sanders</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Dermot O' Logical</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">"Sweet" Johnny Smith</span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">NYCW Tri-State Regional Championship Match</span></strong></p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Crockett Tubbs</span>© vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Brutus Milano</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">The Southern Stars</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Borne to Riot</span></p><p> </p><p>

PLUS</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Fern Hathaway</span> says she has an announcement to make!</p>

<p><strong><span style="font-size:18px;">NYCW RUMBLE IN THE BRONX</span></strong></p><p>

Live from The Ministry in Queens, New York with a Sold Out attendance of 1,000</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PRE SHOW, DVD EXTRAS</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">The Masked Technician</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">Hawkeye Calhoun</span> in 8:52 by submission with a single leg crab <strong>E+</strong> </p><p>

<em>The first of 3 matches to slowly introduce a few new workers to NYCW. The fans who got to see this were a bit upset about the face vs face match up, so I should steer clear of these in the future.</em> </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">The Rock City Stars</span> defeated <span style="color:#FF0000;">Andrew Harper</span> and <span style="color:#FF0000;">Devastating Don</span> in 9:33 when <span style="color:#0000FF;">Stan Manna</span> pinned <span style="color:#FF0000;">Andrew Harper</span> after a Rock City Slam. <strong>D-</strong></p><p>

<em>The second introductory match went off a little better, but even in a tag match under 10 minutes Don was blown up by the end. The Rock City Stars will be a solid addition to the NYCW tag ranks.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Sheik Singh</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">Felipe Cabellero</span> in 12:10 by pinfall after landing a Punjabi Plunge. <strong>D</strong></p><p>

<em>This was a double debut, with new NYCW jobber Felipe Cabellero doing a great job to make Sheik Singh look fantastic. These two had some good chemistry and we might see his match-up on the main show soon.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Rock Downpour</span> and <span style="color:#0000FF;">Ernie Turner</span> ran down the card for tonight's show, highlighting the history between <span style="color:#FF0000;">Honest Frank</span> and <span style="color:#0000FF;">Roger Cage</span>. They noted that while both men were 3 time NYCW Empire champions, only <span style="color:#FF0000;">Honest Frank</span> had the chance to make it 4 times tonight. <strong>D-</strong></p><p>

<em>The announcers did a decent job of warming up the crowd and I hope doing this with them more often will endure them to the fans leading to a better response in the future.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Main Show</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">The Southern Stars</span> made their way to the ring when <span style="color:#FF0000;">The Boys From The Yukon</span> came out of the crowd and attacked. Security tried to rush in and separate the two teams but they were too slow to prevent <span style="color:#0000FF;">Animal Harker</span> from having his leg slammed into the ring post. It was apparent that <span style="color:#0000FF;">Animal Harker</span> was injured and unable to compete in his scheduled match. <strong>D+</strong></p><p>

<em>Animal's unexpected injury turned into a gift as it gave us the idea for this angle that not only boosted the idea that The Boys From The Yukon are dangerous and unpredictable, but helped cement Animal as the guy the fans want to get behind. When these two teams meet it should be electric!</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Bulldozer Brandon Smith</span> and <span style="color:#0000FF;">Tennessee Williams</span> defeated <span style="color:#FF0000;">Borne To Riot</span> in 13:35 when <span style="color:#0000FF;">Brandon Smith</span> pinned <span style="color:#FF0000;">Geoff Borne</span> after landing a huge spear. <strong>D-</strong></p><p>

<em>Tennessee started this match off by himself, but the announcers noted that the referee was instructed to consider this a tag match by Tennessee because he was sure Animal Harker would be back to compete. Tennesse couldn't handle the 2 on 1 situation and it looked like he would lose the match when Brandon Smith came running out of the back and into the ring. Brandon cleared the ring and instructed the referee that he would be subbing for Harker. Geoff Borne and The New York Doll appeared to turn down Brandon's request but as Brandon tried to help Tennesse they attacked him from behind causing the referee to officially make Brandon a part of this match. It was over shortly after this, with Brandon mopping the floor with Geoff. This match helped keep Tennessee strong while also building up Brandon as a strong good guy and not the “bad ass” the fans weren't buying him as.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Fern Hathaway</span> came out dressed in a skimpy outfit to a lot of cat calls and whistles. She grabbed a nearby microphone and proceeded to tell the fans that she has secured the contracts of the hottest tag team on the indie scene today. She then said that next month they will be facing <span style="color:#FF0000;">Old School Principals</span> in what is sure to be the first of many wins in NYCW! <strong>C</strong></p><p>

<em>This was the highlight of the show with fans doing more speculation over who this mystery tag team could then anything else they witnessed at the show. The announcers did a great job of tossing out team names, adding fuel to the speculation fire.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Crockett Tubbs</span> defeated <span style="color:#FF0000;">Brutus Milano</span> to retain the <span style="color:#FFD700;">NYCW Tri-State Regional Championship</span> in 9:45 by DQ after <span style="color:#FF0000;">Brutus Milano</span> failed to beat a 5 count to release a choke he had on <span style="color:#0000FF;">Crockett Tubbs</span> <strong>D-</strong></p><p>

<em>This match was pretty bad but it helped to sell Brutus as an uncontrollable mad man. Crockett is not the best man to hold the NYCW Tri-State Regional Championship, but the list of potential replacements are either involved in feuds already or are not yet established enough in NYCW to make the title switch. This gives Crockett a golden opportunity to wow the booking committee and get us behind him, but with matches like this one I doubt he will pull it off.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Honest Frank</span>came out and talked about his upcoming championship match with <span style="color:#0000FF;">Roger Cage</span>, stating that he wanted more than <span style="color:#0000FF;">Roger's</span> title...he wanted to take NYCW from <span style="color:#0000FF;">Cage</span>! He then asked that the match be turned into a loser leaves NYCW cage match! The announcers were shocked and the fans began chanting <span style="color:#0000FF;">Cage's</span> name to the chagrin of <span style="color:#FF0000;">Honest Frank</span> <strong>D+</strong></p><p>

<em>Honest Frank is good on the microphone, but his age makes it hard for him to connect with some of the younger members of the audience. Still, he delivered a solid promo that would have led to huge attendance numbers if the match in question wasn't on tonight's show.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Sweet Johnny Smith</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">Dermot O' Logical</span> in 13:37 by submission with a Sweet Dreams Sleeper <strong>D-</strong></p><p>

<em>I was hesitant to put myself over in my debut, but Vessey told me it made more sense for me to get a win over Dermot than to lose to him. He said we could use this loss as a way to change Dermot's gimmick as well as set me up as a legitimate threat. Dermot himself looked like he wanted to nix the idea but he must have decided that taking on both the new booker and owner of NYCW was a dumb idea so he kept quiet. The Sweet Dreams Sleeper seemed to go over well with the fans and I really need to send thanks to the Sensational Dragon for inspiring me to create it.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Steve Flash</span> defeated <span style="color:#FF0000;">Rick Sanders</span> in 14:22 by pinfall after landing a Flash Bomb. <strong>D-</strong></p><p>

<em>10 years ago this would have been a 5 star match that the fans couldn't stop talking about. Today however, it was barely better than my match with Dermot. Age has hit these guys pretty hard and it seems like the fans are no longer willing to overlook the fact that the best days are long gone for these two. I may have to rethink my entire booking strategy now. Well, better to find out now then after we started the wheels on a huge storyline.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Roger Cage</span> came out and accepted the challenge for a Lose Leaves NYCW Cage Match for the NYCW Empire Championship! <strong>C-</strong></p><p>

<em>The fans went nuts when Cage agreed to the match and the announcers remarked that this all in gambit by Honest Frank could be the motivation he needs to push himself to the limit and capture the title one more time. They agreed that either way NYCW would be losing one of its staples tonight. I would have loved to do this angle 3 months from now, but the news we got two days before the show forced us to do it tonight. Oh well, the first of many game changing booking challenges was met and overcome tonight.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Honest frank</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">Roger Cage</span> for the <span style="color:#FFD700;">NYCW Empire Championship</span> and forced <span style="color:#0000FF;">Roger Cage</span> out of NYCW by pinning <span style="color:#0000FF;">Roger Cage</span> after a huge Frank-N-Hurter! <strong>D+</strong></p><p>

<em>This match was crazy, with both men giving it their all. The crowd was on the edges of their seats as it looked like Roger Cage had this match won several times, only for Honest Frank to squirm out of a loss. After Fran's victory the crowd fell silent, stunned that their hero Roger Cage not only lost the title but was gone from NYCW. The feeling before the match was that Honest Frank was retiring and this was going to be his last hurrah before transitioning to a managerial role or something. Frank still has some gas left in hi tank so he won't be retiring any time soon and I hope Cage sets the world on fire in USPW.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Overall Show Rating D-</strong></p><p>

<em>The fans seemed to like the matches and angles, but they were upset with the crappy music, production quality, broadcast quality, and fan experience. If we could afford to improve these areas to at least bring us in line with the rest of the industry we would, but until then we will just have to take the hit I guess.</em></p>

I like your booking, and it's cool to see guys like the Rock City Stars and Kashmir Singh in New York. Word to the wise from someone who's played a lot of NYCW- you can't afford to run shows every month just yet, especially if you're having to up your production elements. Consider giving yourself a few off months to help regenerate your finances, and it's worth going into the editor and making the COTT a consortium to give yourself some extra cash.

I like your booking, and it's cool to see guys like the Rock City Stars and Kashmir Singh in New York. Word to the wise from someone who's played a lot of NYCW- you can't afford to run shows every month just yet, especially if you're having to up your production elements. Consider giving yourself a few off months to help regenerate your finances, and it's worth going into the editor and making the COTT a consortium to give yourself some extra cash.

Glad you're enjoying the dynasty. I'm actually going to keep the producion bare bones like they start off and try to do something things extremely risky that I hope pay off in the long run. Wish me luck, Lord knows I'm going to need it.

The day after Rumble in the Bronx Larry Vessey called a booking meeting. I walked into the NYCW offices expecting to get reamed for losing NYCW $13,000 on the last show but when I walked in I got a round of applause from the “big dogs.” Vessey could see I was perplexed by this turn of events so he explained to me that NYCW has been losing money for years, but usually it was around $25,000. With Vessey assuring me it was fine I was confident enough to pitch my plan. I let Vessey know that would should keep our crappy productions since we could never compete with the bigger companies at the moment so we should focus on better ring work. Vessey and the guys agreed with this but they all looked stunned when I said we were going to run 2 shows a month starting this month. I explained that we could die a long slow death or take a chance and build up an audience, increasing our profits to where we make money. With that in mind I suggested we cut ties with The Ministry and cut a deal with another venue to hold our events there exclusively for a reduced per event fee. Such a deal would cost us $24,000 up front, but after 30 or so events, less than 2 years, we would make that money back and then some.

Vessey and Flash seemed very unsure about this plan but Ernie said this was the kind of out of the box thinking NYCW needed. Vessey said that Black Hat Bailey would never agree to this kind of move which is why Turner said we should give it a try. He argued that Bailey, God love him, ran NYCW into the ground. So many good wrestlers were allowed to leave because Bailey clutched the purse strings too tight. Vessey said he would be open to giving this plan a try, but between the 2 events we had to keep the losses below $25,000. That way we would still be within the same realm of losses NYCW is used to having. I agreed to this stipulation, even though it forced me to rethink the plans I had in mind. We went over the specifics as we drank copious amounts of beer, leaving me in a state of drunkeness the likes of which I haven't experienced since the last time these pricks got me wasted.

A few days later we called the NYCW roster together for a meeting informing them of the new 2 event a month plan. I assured the roster that they would only be required to be available for one show. In fact, I let them in on the part of my plan that would see several of our workers given the night off but kept relevant to the people with a lot of announcer build up. The workers seemed on the fence about my plan so I reminded them that with Roger Cage gone there was a spot on the top of the card that anyone could earn. That seemed to get the roster to at least consider this plan and agree to give it a shot this month. I then ran down the card for the 2nd show each month, NYC Rush Hour, and thanked the roster for their support.

NYCW Rush Hour!

Main Event

”Bulldozer” Brandon Smith Open Challenge

Tennessee Williams vs The Masked Mauler

Freedom Eagle vs "Sweet" Johnny Smith

NYCW Tri-State Regional Championship Match

Crockett Tubbs© vs Andrew Harper

The Ring Generals vs Sheik Singh and ???

PLUS

An update on the condition of Animal Harker

• 2 weeks later...

NYCW RUSH HOUR!

Live from The Midtown High Gymnasium in Queens, New York with a Sold Out attendance of 1,000 fans

No Pre-Show/DVD Extras

Main Show

Sheik Signh made his way to the ring looking very smug as the crowd booed loudly. Sheik Singh grabbed a mic before stepping into the ring. He told the crowd that there is only one thing American dogs love more than senseless violence and that is money! He then said he used his father's oil money to buy himself a typical violent American dog to act as his partner. On that cue Man Mountain Cahill came walking out to the ring. Sheik Singh handed over a stack of cash to Man Mountain Cahill when he got in the ring. This was met with even louder boos, but the duo ignored them and began to warm up as they awaited their opponents. C

The debut of Sheik Singh was a huge success as the crowd genuinely bough into the whole rich Indian oil baron gimmick. Sheik Singh, despite being smaller than Cahill, looked more dominant as he didn't seem a bit scared of the unpredictable Cahill. If Singh can keep this momentum up he could move to the main event scene sooner than later.

Sheik Singh and “Man Mountain” Cahill defeated The Ring Generals after Sheik Singh pinned Marv Statler D+

Sheik Singh ordered Man Mountain Cahill to start the match, much to the annoyance of Cahill. Cahill was able to stay in control of the match and Sheik Singh only allowed himself to tag in when one of the Ring Generals were already down. After Cahill landed a Mountain Topper on Marv Statler Sheik Singh ran into the ring and made the “money” hand motion to Cahill. Singh then when to his corner as Cahill reluctantly tagged him in allowing Singh to get the pin as Cahill held off Dean Waldorf.

The crowd was very angry at the arrogant Sheik Singh giving me a lot of hope for his character. In addition to further cementing the Sheik gimmick to the crowd we planted seeds for a possible face change for Cahill in the event all of our top faces leave like Roger Cage did.

Crockett Tubbs defeated Andrew Harper by pinfall to retain the NYCW Tri-State Regional Championship D-

Crockett used his speed to keep Harper off his game. This lead to Harper getting further and further frustrated until he was swinging wildly at Tubbs. Tubbs used this to his advantage and land a massive DDT that was just enough to put Harper out for the three count.

Once again Harper and Tubbs deliver lackluster performances. Despite being given ample chances to impress, Tubbs just doesn't have it in him to be much more than a glorified jobber. I'm going to have Flash and Turner compile a list of potential contenders to the Tri-State Regional Championship.

Sweet Johnny Smith came out and told the crowd how lucky they were to have him grace them with his appearance. He says that up until now NYCW has been either a place for old washed up wrestlers to go to fade into obscurity or where pathetic never will be wrestlers embarrass this sport. However, now NYCW will be known as the home of the future of wrestling, “Sweet” Johnny Smith! E+

For my first attempt at a promo I think it went a lot better than expected. The fans still barely know me so the lack of response was to be expected, in fact this was more about honing my mic skills than actually moving any kind of angle or gimmick forward.

”Sweet” Johnny Smith defeated Freedom Eagle by submission after hooking on a Sweet Dreams Sleeper D

Freedom Eagle tried to use his speed to out maneuver Sweet Johnny, but the Sweet One was able to match him move for move. Eagle did appear to have things in the bag when Sweet Johnny reversed a body slam right into a Sweet Dreams Sleeper for the win.

This was supposed to be a one off match between myself and Freedom Eagle, but we showed such good chemistry in the ring we may face each other again very soon.

The Southern Stars came out and let the fans know that Animal Harker is still nursing a leg injury, but they were confident that in 4 weeks from now they would be out here defending the NYCW Tag Team Championship! They end their promo by addressing The Yukon Mountain Men and letting them know how big of a mistake they made by not finishing the job when they had the chance! E+

The fans were clearly behind Animal and indifferent toward Tennessee. These two are a great team, but the fans see them as being on different levels and that is hurting them big time. I would hate to split them up, but if Tennessee doesn't do something to get more over with the fans I will pull the trigger on it.

”Bulldozer” Brandon Smith came out and asked if anyone in the back had the guts to take him on. After a few moments he started to laugh, saying how he knew there would be no one with the guts to face when suddenly running out from the back comes Texas Pete! The ref calls for the bell as Texas Pete slides into the ring and the two heavyweights begin to trade punches. C-

The fans reacted with shock and awe as the former TCW superstar Texas Pete came out. Pete is the perfect opponent for Brandon as both men are huge, intimidating, and quite popular with the NYCW fans. This was a great start to a feud between these two.

”Bulldozer” Brandon Smith drew with Texas Pete after both men were counted out. D+

This was an all out brawl as these two traded blows in and out of the ring. Things got wild when they started brawling in the crowd and the referee, although being very leniet with his ten count, reluctantly had to call this match a draw.

This match was a great way to show off both the skills of the men involved and the new, unpredictable nature I want to bring to NYCW. Not wanting either man to start off this feud with a loss, I chose to end this in a draw and hope it will have the fans begging for more.

Overall Show Rating D-

This show was much more concise than the one we ran 2 weeks ago and as such it was also a lot cheaper to run. We did establish a new main event feud and debuted a former TCW star to a huge reaction so I think we can call it a success.

After going over all the receipts it turns out we only lost ten grand on the last show, three grand less than our first show of the year and well under the limit set by Larry Vessey. I think this plan to spread the roster over two shows will generate more interest in NYCW while maintaining the same, or even less, financial loss. Vessey was pleased with the show and agreed to continue this two show a month plan. With that decided we sent out flyers for our next Rumble in the Bronx show.

NYCW Rumble in the Bronx!

Main Event

NYCW Empire Championship Match

Honest Frank© Vs ”Bulldozer” Brandon Smith

The New York Doll Vs The Masked Technician

”Sweet” Johnny Smith Vs Felipe Caballero

Sheik Singh Open Challenge

Old School Principals Vs Fern's Mystery Team

• 2 weeks later...

<p>As the month came to a close I thought I should take a look at some of NYCW's competition. Well, technically the companies I looked at were so above NYCW that calling them competition was a gross misuse of the word but we are all in the wrestling business so looking at those on top of the wrestling world could be quite helpful. At the moment we are sitting at #29 out of 38 wrestling companies but I hope to move us up the ladder ASAP. On another note, you never know when the other companies might come up with a good idea I could steal so even if they are not direct competition there is something to be gained from checking them out from time to time. In addition to taking a close look at the top companies in wrestling, I also took a peak at the goings on in the wrestling world.</p><p> </p><p>

#1 – <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">USPW: </span></strong></p><p>

A new show, USPW Rage, began airing on Reverie </p><p>

Roger Cage, Donnie J, Nelson Callum, Masked Cougar, Hell's Bouncer, Greg Black and Kirk Jameson signed with USPW</p><p> </p><p>

#2 – <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">SWF:</span></strong></p><p>

The Amazing Bumfholes defeated The Awesomeness to capture the SWF Tag Team Championship</p><p>

Emmy, Masked Patriot, Ekuma, Lassana Makutsi, Primus Allen, and Kristen Pierce were called up from RIPW</p><p> </p><p>

#3 – <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">TCW:</span></strong></p><p>

The New Wave defeated The Behemoths to capture the TCW Tag Team Championship</p><p> </p><p>

#4 – <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">21CW:</span></strong></p><p>

Nate Manchester, Vic Walker, Glen Ward, Stefan Raynor, and Trace signed with 21CW</p><p> </p><p>

#5 – <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">SOTBW:</span></strong></p><p>

Las Pesadillas defeated The Sea Monsters to capture the Campeantos de Parejas Championship </p><p> </p><p>

#6 – <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">BHOTWG:</span></strong></p><p>

Kinnojo Horri defeated Tadiyuki Kikkawa to capture the Burning World Championship</p><p>

Sanda and Hamacho defeated Shibanumo and Yuasa to capture the Burning World Tag Team Championship</p><p> </p><p>

#7 – <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">PGHW:</span></strong></p><p>

Chojiro Kitoaji defeated Simon Flemmingway to capture the PGHW International Championship</p><p>

Monzaemon Ouchi and Seiho Kuroda signed with PGHW</p><p>

Art Reed, Greg Gauge, Pavel Vanzycha, Bryan Holmes, and Roy Edison agreed to tour with PGHW</p><p> </p><p>

#8 – <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">NOTBW:</span></strong></p><p>

No news</p><p> </p><p>

#9 – <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">WLW:</span></strong></p><p>

SUKI was loaned to WLW on a 1 night deal</p><p> </p><p>

#10 – <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">CGC:</span></strong></p><p>

No News</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Other News</span></strong></p><p>

EMLL rose to Regional size</p><p>

Former football player Ross Henry joined the ranks of professional wrestlers</p><p>

Fern Hathaway and Howlin' Mad Mort have begun dating</p><p>

Chica de Partido announced her pregnancy</p><p>

Kanishoki returned to wrestling</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p><strong><span style="font-size:18px;">NYCW RUMBLE IN THE BRONX</span></strong></p><p>

Live from The Ministry in Queens, New York with a Sold Out attendance of 1,000</p><p> </p><p>

No Pre-Show/DVD Extras</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Fern Hathaway</span> came down to the ring looking very pleased with herself. She was handed a microphone and began to introduce the greatest tag team to ever lace up a pair of wrestling boots, her new team <span style="color:#0000FF;">The Rock City Stars</span>! The crowd goes wild as <span style="color:#0000FF;">Stan “The Man” Manna</span> and <span style="color:#0000FF;">”Rockin” Ryan Turner</span> come running out from the back and join <span style="color:#0000FF;">Fern</span> in the ring. <strong>D-</strong></p><p>

<em>The debut of the Rock City Stars was not that well received by the live crowd, but it could be because I ruined the surprise by having them appear during the dark matches of last month's show. Despite the crowd anticipating these two men to appear tonight as Fern's mystery team, I believe those who are only exposed to NYCW via tapes and DVDs will enjoy the surprise.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">The Rock City Stars</span> w/<span style="color:#0000FF;">Fern Hathaway</span> defeated <span style="color:#FF0000;">Old School Principals</span> by pinfall <strong>D</strong></p><p>

This was quite the back and forth match with both teams demonstrating why they believe they are the best team in NYCW. Things looked bleak for The Rock City Stars after Old School Principals were able to isolate Stan Manna, but Ryan Turner got a hot tag and went on to win the match by pinning Rick Sanders.</p><p>

<em>This was a great debut match for The Rock City Stars as Old School Principals brought the best out of them and the crowd was able to get behind a Ryan Turner comeback, which is the signature of the Rock City Stars. </em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Sheik Singh</span> came out to the ring with a briefcase and a microphone. He informs the crowd that NYCW does not have enough money to afford to pay him, let alone pay another wrestler to face him. He goes on to say that with his oil money he doesn't need NYCW to pay him, in fact he will be wrestling for the sheer joy of hurting filthy American wrestlers. He continues by telling the crowd that after he has hurt enough dirty American wrestlers then maybe NYCW will give him a shot at the one thing even he can't buy, the NYCW Empire Championship. He finishes up by saying that if NYCW can't afford to hire opponents for him, then he will do it himself. <span style="color:#FF0000;">Sheik Singh</span> then held up the briefcase and announced that any wrestler who stepped in the ring and defeated him could claim his briefcase and keep the $25,000 inside. <strong>D+</strong></p><p>

<em>Once again Sheik Singh delivers a solid promo that enrages the crowd and moves his own storyline ahead. I am still on the fence about giving Sheik Singh a push to become the top heel in NYCW or utilize him as a guy who can give the rub to an up and coming face. Either way, Sheik Singh is a valuable member of NYCW at the moment.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Sheik Singh</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">Hawkeye Calhoun</span> by submission <strong>D</strong></p><p>

This was a rather one sided match as Hawkeye Calhoun was attacked moments before the bell rang and he just couldn't seem to turn things around. Singh debuted a new submission hold, the Rupee Recliner (a modified Camel Clutch that has Sheik Singh kneel on his opponents back instead of sitting on it), and forced Hawkeye to submit. .</p><p>

<em>Sheik Singh was very impressive in this match and as I have previously said, I could honestly see him as the top heel in NYCW if the need arises. I definitely think I will continue the open/$25,000 challenge for a few weeks and see if the crowd response continues to increase or if this gimmick doesn't have true longevity.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">”Sweet” Johnny Smith</span> came out to the ring and delivered another scathing promo. He told the crowd how the NYCW shows were nothing but a joke and the only reason to pay for a ticket was to get the privilege of seeing him wrestle before leaving for much greener pastures. <strong>D</strong></p><p>

<em>Another decent promo from me and I can honestly say I am feeling more confident each time I get on the microphone. I may have to tone down the anti-NYCW propaganda and focus more on my opponents so as to not make NYCW look bush league.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">”Sweet” Johnny Smith</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">Felipe Caballero</span> by pinfall <strong>D-</strong></p><p>

Felipe Caballero was able to match Johnny Smith's speed and agility but he just couldn't overcome the technical prowess of Smith. Things came to a head when Felipe missed a moonsault and Johnny capitalized on the mistake with a diving elbow off the top rope and a pinfall.</p><p>

<em>Felipe was a good opponent for me and I look forward to facing him again. Much like Sheik Singh, the fans are really getting heated by my character and I might move up the ranks in NYCW quicker than I would have liked given the fact I am the head booker.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">The Masked Technician</span> defeated <span style="color:#FF0000;">The New York Doll</span> by pinfall <strong>D-</strong></p><p>

The Masked Technician used his skill to put a stop to the hard hitting style of Doll, but he was unprepared to deal with someone as willing to bend the rules as Doll. This lead to a back and forth match with both men unable to hold the advantage for long. Ultimately New York Doll lost when Technician reversed a body slam into a reverse DDT before making the pin.</p><p>

<em>The brawling style of Doll and the technical style of The Masked Technician played off each other much better than I expected. Technician lacks that “It” factor to become the top face of NYCW but he could be one of those guys always near the top.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Honest Frank</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">”Bulldozer” Brandon Smith</span> by pinfall to retain the <span style="color:#FFD700;">NYCW Empire Championship</span> <strong>D+</strong></p><p>

Brandon firmly held control of this match and it looked like he would leave with NYCW gold, but Texas Pete came out and caused a distraction that allowed Frank to gain the upper hand. After this first distraction Frank would continue to control the match with Pete continuing to distract Brandon whenever it looked like Brandon would regain control. The match ended after a distraction by Pete allowed Frank to nail Brandon with a Frank-N-Hurter before making the pin.</p><p>

<em>This match was able to establish Honest Frank as a competitive champion, Brandon Smith as a guy who could take that belt from Frank, and Texas Pete as a guy who will not rest until the issue between himself and Brandon is settled. I honestly didn't think we could succeed so much in a single match but boy am I glad they pulled it off.</em></p><p> </p><p>

After the match <span style="color:#FF0000;">Texas Pete</span> joined <span style="color:#FF0000;">Honest Frank</span> in the ring and the two of them put the boots to <span style="color:#0000FF;">”Bulldozer” Brandon Smith</span> leaving him down and out as the show ended. <strong>C</strong></p><p>

<em>This angle cemented the partnership between Texas Pete and Honest Frank, as both men would love to see Brandon Smith taken out of action. The fans are now even more in Smith's corner and he may finally overcome the hump to become the face of NYCW.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<em>This show moved quite a few storylines ahead while giving the fans great action. The Rock City Stars debut was a bit of a let down, but now I know what to avoid when trying to surprise the fans.</em></p>

<p>In an amazing turn of events we only lost $6600 on the last show. If we continue this trend we may actually turn a profit a lot sooner than I had expected. With this smaller loss of money I reached out to CZCW to see if I could use a few of their wrestlers for our next show. With that in mind we advertised the next NYCW Rush Hour.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">NYCW Rush Hour!</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Main Event</strong></p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">”Bulldozer” Brandon Smith</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Man Mountain Cahill</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Steve Flash</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Texas Pete</span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>NYCW </strong><strong><span style="color:#FFD700;">Tri-State Regional Championship</span></strong><strong> Match</strong></p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Crockett Tubbs</span>© vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">”Sweet” Johnny Smith</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Sheik Singh</span> Open Challenge Match</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Brooklyn's Finest</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">The Boys From the Yukon</span></p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Main Event</p><p>

”Bulldozer” Brandon Smith vs <strong>Man Mountain Cahill</strong></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Steve Flash</strong> vs Texas Pete</p><p> </p><p>

NYCW Tri-State Regional Championship Match</p><p>

Crockett Tubbs© vs <strong>”Sweet” Johnny Smith</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Sheik Singh vs <strong>Open Challenge</strong></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Brooklyn's Finest</strong> vs The Boys From the Yukon</p>

<p><strong><span style="font-size:18px;">NYCW RUSH HOUR!</span></strong></p><p>

Live from The Midtown High Gymnasium in Queens, New York with a Sold Out attendance of 1,000 fans</p><p> </p><p>

No Pre-Show/DVD Extras</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">The Boys From The Yukon</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">Brooklyn's Finest</span> in 8:06 when <span style="color:#FF0000;">Howlin' Mad Mort</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">Hawkeye Calhoun</span> by pinfall with a Tiiiiiiiiiiimber. <strong>D-</strong></p><p>

The number one contenders to the NYCW Tag Team Championship were in fine form as they took control of this match early and refused to let go. Hawkeye and Eagle tried to mount a comeback several times in this match but they were no match for the strength of Mort and Whittaker. Whittaker held Hawkeye in a vertical suplex while tagging in Mort, allowing Mort to climb the top turnbuckle and dive off, nailing the still upside down Hawkeye with a shoulder tackle causing Whittaker to slowly fall back with Hawkeye in his clutches or land a Tiiiiiiiiiiimber as they like to call it, before making the pin.</p><p>

<strong><em>This match helped to keep The Boys From the Yukon strong as we wait for Animal Harker to recover and face them in a tag team championship match. Hawkeye and Eagle continue to prove that they are little more than NYCW punching bags and I doubt that will ever change.</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Sheik Singh</span> came to the ring with a microphone and began taunting the NYCW fans. He once again claimed that he, unlike the dirty American dogs in NYCW, wrestled for the love of the sport and not the fame and fortune since he had plenty of both already. He went on to say that he was sorry that tonight he did not have a match because no one in NYCW dared to face him. He looked ready to leave when <span style="color:#0000FF;">American Flash</span> came running out of the back. The crowd gave a slight pop for the CZCW fan favorite before he accepted the challenge. A referee appeared from the back calling for the bell and the start of this match. <strong>D+</strong></p><p>

<strong><em>American Flash has a small cult following and his name and gimmick, being a flag waving American luchador, was a perfect foil for Sheik Singh. Speaking of Sheik Singh, he once again delivered a solid promo that helped strengthen his spot as a top heel in NYCW.</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Sheik Singh</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">American Flash</span> in 8:05 by submission with a Rupee Recliner. <strong>D+</strong></p><p>

American Flash used his speed to keep out of the clutches of Sheik Singh, but a mistimed moonsault left him vulnerable to the Sheik's deadly brawling techniques. After this misstep the match was all Sheik Singh and soon he was placing American Flash into the Rupee Recliner causing the submission victory.</p><p>

<strong><em>Sheik Singh delivers a solid performance with yet another performer, demonstrating his ability to not only talk a good game but wrestle one as well. He is making small popularity gains each show and soon he will be ready to move to the Main Event.</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Sweet Johnny Smith</span> came to the ring with a ton of swagger in his walk. The crowd showed their displeasure with Johnny by booing him mercilessly. Johnny finally got the crowd to shut up before tearing into the NYCW roster as a bunch of washed up losers and no nothing rookie punks. He continued his promo up by saying he couldn't care less if the fans hated him because he wasn't going to be stuck in NYCW for long despite his upcoming NYCW Tri-State Regional Championship win! He finished up the promo by saying Crockett Tubbs was a disgrace to the title belt and he was glad to be taking the title from him and then hiring a dozen maids to scrub the stink of loser from the belt! <strong>D</strong></p><p>

<strong><em>The slow transition from putting down the NYCW roster to focusing on my opponents begins here. Tonight's promo was solid once again and I hope I can continue delivering good promos when the focus of my ire is centered on a single person as opposed to MYCW and it's fans.</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">”Sweet Johnny Smith”</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">Crockett Tubbs</span> in 12:59 by count out. <strong>D</strong></p><p>

This was a back and forth match with neither man getting a clear advantage. Eventually things spilled out of the ring and Johnny slammed Tubbes into the steel guard rail knocking Tubbs loopy. Johnny slid into the ring and taunted Tubbs to get back in but the blow to the head was far more serious than anyone suspected and soon Tubbs was struggling to walk straight as the referee counted him out.</p><p>

<strong><em>This match was used to try and get some sympathy for Crockett Tubbs and possibly allow us to strip him of the title if I decide to make that call. It also helped to get me over with the fans and show the boys in the back that I wasn't just going to book myself to capture title belts I hadn't earned.</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Texas Pete</span> came out and cut a promo on <span style="color:#0000FF;">Bulldozer Brandon Smith</span>. He said that everything he did to <span style="color:#0000FF;">Steve Flash</span> he would do to Smith next time the two squared off in the ring. He went on to say he felt sorry for Flash, since he was very frustrated with Smith and he would use Flash as a release for his frustrations! <strong>C</strong></p><p>

<strong><em>Texas Pete is not the greatest talker, but his menacing presence helps to sell his promos. The fans seem to be chopping at the bit to see him and Brandon Smith go at it again, but I think we are going to draw this eventual encounter out a bit.</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Texas Pete</span> defeated <span style="color:#0000FF;">Steve Flash</span> in 12:38 by pinfall with a Lone Star Drop. <strong>D+</strong></p><p>

Steve Flash tried to use his skill to keep Texas Pete off his game but the power of Texas Pete was able to neutralize Flash. Pete was in threat of DQ several ties during the match as he threw closed fist, choked, and used other dirty tricks to hurt Flash. The referee let things go, much to the chagrin of the announcers, but he did warn Pete at every opportunity. </p><p>

<strong><em>This match helped to sell Texas Pete as a dangerous wild man, Steve Flash selling the dirty offense with gusto. It's too bad Flash is at the end of his career because if he was ten years younger a match like this could have lead to a spin-off mini feud for these two.</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Bulldozer Brandon Smith</span> came out with a microphone and cut a promo on <span style="color:#FF0000;">Texas Pete</span>. He says it is obvious that Pete is a bad dude, but nobody is as bad as Bulldozer Brandon Smith! He then went on to say that the beating Pete put on Flash was nothing compared to the beating <span style="color:#FF0000;">Man Mountain Cahill</span> was going to suffer at his hands! <strong>C-</strong></p><p>

<strong><em>Like Texas Pete, Smith isn't a great talker but his size and presence sells his words quite a bit. Like the earlier Pete promo, this one has only lead to the fans wanting to see Pete and Smith go at it even more.</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">”Bulldozer” Brandon Smith</span> defeated <span style="color:#FF0000;">”Man Mountain” Cahill</span> in 17:49 by pinfall with a Backdrop Driver after <span style="color:#FF0000;">Texas Pete</span> accidentally hit <span style="color:#FF0000;">Cahill</span>. <strong>D+</strong></p><p>

This was a hard hitting match between two very big and violent men. The referee was even more leniet in this match then he was in the last and Smith and Cahill took full advantage. The referee eventually took a bump and Texas Pete ran out with a steel chair to attack Smith, unfortunately he missed and ended up nailing Cahill in the face. The referee came too in time to see Smith nail Cahill with a Backdrop Driver and make the three count.</p><p>

<em><strong>This match not only helped to establish Smith as the top face in NYCW but it added a bit of extra dram to the Pete/Smith feud. The announcers helping to sell the fact that Cahill would not be happy with Pete after what happened tonight.</strong></em></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Bulldozer Brandon Smith</span> and <span style="color:#FF0000;">Texas Pete</span> are in the ring; following the conclusion of Brandon Smith's match with Man Mountain Cahill. Pete is threatening Smith with a stel chair but Smith doesn't seem to be backing down. Just as things look like they are going to pop off, security rushes the ring and separates the two as the crowd boos and chants “Let them fight!” <strong>C</strong></p><p>

<em><strong>More teasing of a confrontation between these two. The feud is just heating up and it may very well eclipse the NYCW Empire title scene. I'm not sure how I feel about that.</strong></em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><em>This was a great show that pushed the Smith/Pete feud along quite well. Sheik Singh is still growing as a worker and this show was able to put him in a nice spot to make a run toward becoming the top heel of NYCW. I was also able to deliver a solid promo and match, almost becoming the NYCW Tri-State Regional Champion. We are still lacking a solid face main event, but I have made a call that could change the face of NYCW!</em></strong></p>

<p>Oh my God! Last month was freaking crazy. NYCW was bumped up to Regional Size according to the TEW company tracker website, but then a mere week later we were bumped back down to Small Size crushing plans I had made in the time between the two announcements. The morale in the locker room went from an all time high to a record low and I only hope that we can recover mentally from such a wild ride. On a happier note, I was able to convince Larry that we were in a position to improve our production, which he was extremely pissed about following the aforementioned second announcement of NYCW's size status. Since it is too late and would cost too much to reverse these decisions he has decided to allow me to roll with it. Luckily we only lost $10,820 last month so Larry wasn't in a completely bad mood. I did manage to secure the contract of a former NYCW and his return should be a game changer for us. With all that on my mind I booked the matches for our next show.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:18px;">NYCW Rush Hour!</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Main Event</strong></p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Honest Frank</span> vs <span style="color:#0000FF;">Steve Flash</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Sheik Singh</span> Open Challenge</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Man Mountain Cahill</span> vs <span style="color:#FF0000;">Texas Pete</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">”Sweet” Johnny Smith</span> vs <span style="color:#0000FF;">Tennessee Williams</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;">Borne to Riot</span> vs <span style="color:#0000FF;">The Rock City Stars</span> w/<span style="color:#0000FF;">Fern Hathaway</span></p>

Archived