WMMA 4 vs WMMA 3

I've been wanting to provide feedback on this franchise for a long while, but I didn't know how best (or where) to put it across. Basically, I have a love/hate relationship with this game. On the one hand, some of the ideas in this game are fantastic, and it has so much potential to be among my favourite games. But on the other hand, I find many things about this game to be frustrating, and sadly it is unplayable (on my PC) in its current format. More than anything, I wanted to provide constructive feedback. I appreciate some of the hard work and painstaking details that have gone into making this game, and I'd love to see it live up to its great potential.

So I've decided to create two threads that will hopefully provide good feedback for the game developers (in the hope that WMMA 5 will soon be in the works). For this first thread, I've decided to compare some of the top things I liked and disliked about WMMA 3 and 4, and I hope that others will do the same. The intention is to get a good vibe for the most attractive features that keep people playing, and some of the issues that maybe put people off. It'd also be interesting to hear if people disagree on certain features, highlighting the different ways people like to play.

So, anyway, here are three of my main pros and cons for each version of the game:

WMMA 3 pros :)

- I love the way the fight screen made you feel like you were watching a live event. The style was so important here, and it really paid off. The exciting use of BIG TEXT when something dramatic occurred added a lot to the experience.

- Setting up the events and adding matches was fairly easy. It was nice to have tools such as a roster analysis a single click away, (although it would have been even better to have this information incorporated into the rankings page).

- One-day tournaments. Nuff said.

Cons :(

- Mass signings (50+) were unbearable due to the amount of clicking required to resolve a single contract.

- It was hard to see your roster develop, since each fighter's history and accomplishments took several clicks to access. This made the game feel a bit stale over time.

- Only being able to plan out five events in advance.

WMMA 4 pros :)

- The editor was amazing, (particularly the mass editing tools). I have to say I spent many dozens of hours customising everything I wanted in my games before I even realised I'd have difficulty playing it.

- The wealth of fighter information available on first glance of their profile. The addition of the fighter history (in clear green and red) was actually the single biggest factor in my upgrading to WMMA4.

- The addition of information/help icons on many terms is immensely useful.

- Proceeding to the next day was sluggish, and always leads to a “(Not Responding)” on my system.

- The fight screen looks bland. It feels like you're reading a report as opposed to experiencing an event. While I do appreciate the additional fighter details, they're no substitute for the style and grandeur of WMMA3.

- There seemed to be some odd design choices for the layout, (e.g. using a whole tab for trivial details like birthdays, while other key information is relegated to pop-up windows). Another problem with this layout is that because this game is windowed, the bottom row of tabs is always half way below the level of my OS taskbar, (and thus hard to click).

<p>Regarding the 'Not Responding' error message, it appears on my game as well. You will find that the game is <strong>simply still loading the next day.</strong> </p><p> </p><p>

Unfortunately, the wait seems to get longer and longer the more advanced you are along your game, but I advise you to leave the game on for a while and see whether anything happens before crashing it manually yourself.</p><p> </p><p>

I do agree though that the game needs to be sped up somewhat. I blamed my computer for being slow at first, but I see now that others may also be having this issue. The speed of advancing of each day also seems to co-relate to the number of contracts up for re-negotiation on the following day - so if you have a large number of fighters in your database, there will inadvertently be slow-downs on certain days.</p><p> </p><p>

Agree with the rest of your assessments though! And while WMMA4 seems sluggish, I still remember the past iterations being much, much worse!</p>

<p>Thank-you for making this thread. I had been thinking about making a comparison thread for a while, but hadn't got round to it.</p><p> </p><p>

Unfortunately I'm at work just now so don't have time to write much, but will contribute later on.</p><p> </p><p>

In short though, I've kinda given up playing WMMA4 and am instead rehooked on WMMA3. WMMA3 in my opinion was perfect in almost every way apart from the contract system (which wasn't even that bad, but needed touching up to make it less time consuming). The layout, the use of pictures in the fight ranking screen, the fight engine, even the main page with the "open magazine style" and "fighter stories" was far more attractive and enticing. </p><p> </p><p>

WMMA4 seems to be more reliant on spreadsheet style lists which without pictures seem to lack something to make me want to click. There also seems to be a lot of unused space in each list table that could have information in it but is left blank (almost in the hope that you click on it to find out more)</p><p> </p><p>

I've given WMMA4 a lot of time in the last couple of years, but WMMA3 is in my opinion a far superior and fun game.</p><p> </p><p>

I guess it's a bit like the Civ4 vs Civ5 debate. You'll find players that appreciate both games, but although I'm firmly a Civ 4 player (haven't played 6), I feel even more strongly about WMMA3 being a better and more fun game than WMMA4 than I do about my Civ preferences.</p><p> </p><p>

I'm hoping that WMMA5 is more similar to WMMA3 in it's layout/style, but at the end of the day, if it follows WMMA4's interface I'll just keep playing number 3.</p><p> </p><p>

I'll add more to this thread when I have time.</p><p> </p><p>

I hope others will contribute constructively too.</p>

<p>I loved 3, and though 4 took a while to get used to, it is the better game, by far. </p><p> </p><p>

One night tournaments were great, for sure. But, they no longer happen (with one rare exception I can think of recently), and so the loss of those isn't really the biggest deal. It does kind of suck when you try and play a historical data game, but it just means you gotta improvise.</p><p> </p><p>

Local fights on 4 are so much better. I know that some people hate them, but personally, I love them, even more so now that fighters can face other real fighters. Sometimes awful fighters have over inflated records, but it can happen in real life too (or you could just lower the number of wins they have via the in game editor). </p><p> </p><p>

More injuries and more potential for short notice opponents is awesome as well. 3 was too easy to play really, it never threw enough curveballs, whereas 4 actually presents you with challenges. </p><p> </p><p>

My one criticism of 4 is that the number of knockdowns/knockouts seem a bit low compared to how I would imagine they should be. BJJ and wrestling is maybe overpowered, or striking is under powered. </p><p> </p><p>

Oh, and maybe there should be more fighters (restricted by the number of renders, I know), because the big promotions absolutely gut the smaller ones to an excess, in my opinion. I always just use the free pictures and create a whole bunch of cans from those just to give my game worlds' some extra depth.</p>

The big differences for me are that 3 is a bit more of a challenge, has more realistic company & worker progression and is easier to book, while 4 has a far better contract system.

If the contract system could be pasted into 3, I'd be more inclined to play that.

- Proceeding to the next day was sluggish, and always leads to a “(Not Responding)” on my system.

- There seemed to be some odd design choices for the layout, (e.g. using a whole tab for trivial details like birthdays, while other key information is relegated to pop-up windows). Another problem with this layout is that because this game is windowed, the bottom row of tabs is always half way below the level of my OS taskbar, (and thus hard to click).

The first one isn't really experienced by anyone else afaik, so I think that's a problem on your part.

This is the first time the second one is mentioned so far. Now that you mention it, it does seem silly to have a tab for birthdays. I kinda forgot about it as I never use the tabs given the information is pointless to me and otherwise quickly accessible.

What I miss in the fight engine is the 'getups' from guard (or I haven't encountered them in the past half year) in case of knockdowns failing to convert into TKO wins.

The comparison with Civ4/5 is a fair one imo. It's dependant on the player.

Archived