What do you do with upper mid card and main event talents you have no plans for?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Rone Rivendale" data-cite="Rone Rivendale" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>People who are 'over' who I don't want to be become 'jobber to the stars'. It's a really useful thing to have. You can elevate other stars while keeping the match ratings up while he/she still has the popularity.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I do a similar thing with Bryan Vessey in the CV. He can't really drop below 70 in popularity, has a steroid problem, and just wants to wrestle and haze the young bucks. When I sign a new star (El Leon) I can just put him with Vessey. You can keep Vessey's momentum up with boring, workhorse TV wins while the bigger potential can rack up popularity points for the national war. This is important, as Sammy Bach is off to shoot a movie, and he's up to 89 popularity across the U.S.</p><p> </p><p> Keep the drug testing low level and value those gatekeepers who can work. Also, rib Bob Casey.</p>

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="DatIsraeliGuy" data-cite="DatIsraeliGuy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Tag team</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Just discovered Dean Ambrose and Tye Dillinger have excellent chemistry. So that's Dean's foreseeable future.</p>

<p>Tag Team is nice. It's the safe bet. The other idea that I like is putting them in a feud with someone a bit lower on the card.</p><p> </p><p>

You'll help give someone new a chance to get over by just putting them in open even match ups together.</p><p> </p><p>

i.e. putting Dean Ambrose in a throw away feud with a recent NXT call up or a midcarder who you have BIG plans for down the line.</p>

I've put Buff Bagwell and Jeff Jarrett in a tag team called "The V.I.Ps" and managed by Ric Flair in my WCW lives save, and they are so damn good I may give them a chance to go for a year with the titles but right now they're feuding with 2 other main eventers I needed to do something with for a couple of months, Rey Mysterio and RVD, so for me assembling what I like to call 3T (Tentative Tag Teams) is a great way to form teams that go years together.

<p>I am usually in an alliance so will give one of my over main eventers which I have no plans for the alliance title. This way they travel around, get more over, improve their skills because they tend to be working top guys and you have a built in match to put them in on every show with no need for a storyline. Did it with Steve Corino in my ROH 2002 save, and surprisingly he became the best worker and the most over guy in the company doing this, with every match he put on being atleast a B+</p><p> </p><p>

Other than that, Ill just put them in a tag team with a lower card guy to try to get them over. Then when the time is right, pull the trigger on a break up angle which will keep them both busy for a while</p>

<p>I'm having that issue right now in my 1998 WCW game with Randy Savage. It's 1999 now and I have no idea what to do with him.</p><p> </p><p>

He started the game feuding with Hogan to finally put an end to the NWO. Since causing the NWO to dismantle (a stipulation if Savage won), I have no idea what to do with him. He's extremely popular now and don't want to cut him loose and have him go to the WWF.</p><p> </p><p>

I've thought about giving him a transitional run with the world title, but Goldberg recently won it from Scott Steiner and I'm planning on a Sting/Goldberg title feud. There's really no room in the foreseeable future for him getting a run with the title, which is unfortunate, because I wanted to get him a good solid run with the belt in WCW, which he never got in real life.</p><p> </p><p>

Usually with guys I can't figure out what to do with, I'll throw them in a tag team. I rarely release guys or job them out, especially if they're popular and/or guys I like.</p>

<p>Give him a lower title and make him a fighting champion. Use him angles and matches with your midcarders and lower mid guys. Build the defenses up a week or two in advance with long angles. Use Savage to help build and train your mid card while also protecting his status with these short storylines and frequent defenses. Make whomever eventually takes the belt from him a special moment.</p><p> </p><p>

If you have a legend and a title to fight over you really don't need much else for your storylines that both start and end on weekly TV.</p>

It's difficult, but if you're playing a long term game, releasing them or "letting their contract expire" is a good thought. Gives them time to work elsewhere and grow (or struggle) while you get time to come up with ideas.

If they're someone you desperately want to keep, midcard title feuds, tag teams, and storylines with a female/male character about their love life always is good.

As a company grows you eventually get a lot of main eventers, some you don't even want. I sort of space out the main event into 3 categories

1) Main Event - Champions

These are the big guys. The guys that are often chasing the titles or are featured prominently. They are usually not in tag teams or are only going after the #1 title. Usually as I grow in size I end having like 4 guys in this category. Obviously who is up here changes as time goes but yknow.

2) Main Event - The Transitions

These guys are seen as a big deal as well, but only really win the big one for a few months. Transitional champions. They're more frequently wrestling upper/midcarders on regular shows and doing feuds with them until I see their momentum high enough to go for a title shot. Sometimes they get put into tag teams as well.

3) Main Event - The Underdog/ Tag Teams That Got Too Over

To keep it short, usually the "Sami Zayn" is here. They also do well in losing to the #1 and #2 guys but it's a competitive match. I like to have a good plucky underdog that can overcome the odds but often falls short.

Usually always have 1-2, they're too young to hold the big one so... they're often getting midcard titles but are just too popular to really justify them jobbing to anything other than #1 and #2 guys.

The others are just a tag team that got over but isn't really good enough to be a singles guy. I often use them for tournies or "big main events" on my TV show. Then you have guys that get pushed to main event despite not being there.

That's how I do it. I try to not have anything over 6-8 real main eventers. The others just place main event because that's how the game works.

• 7 months later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Peria" data-cite="Peria" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As a company grows you eventually get a lot of main eventers, some you don't even want. I sort of space out the main event into 3 categories<p> </p><p> 1) Main Event - Champions </p><p> </p><p> These are the big guys. The guys that are often chasing the titles or are featured prominently. They are usually not in tag teams or are only going after the #1 title. Usually as I grow in size I end having like 4 guys in this category. Obviously who is up here changes as time goes but yknow.</p><p> </p><p> 2) Main Event - The Transitions</p><p> </p><p> These guys are seen as a big deal as well, but only really win the big one for a few months. Transitional champions. They're more frequently wrestling upper/midcarders on regular shows and doing feuds with them until I see their momentum high enough to go for a title shot. Sometimes they get put into tag teams as well.</p><p> </p><p> 3) Main Event - The Underdog/ Tag Teams That Got Too Over</p><p> </p><p> To keep it short, usually the "Sami Zayn" is here. They also do well in losing to the #1 and #2 guys but it's a competitive match. I like to have a good plucky underdog that can overcome the odds but often falls short. </p><p> Usually always have 1-2, they're too young to hold the big one so... they're often getting midcard titles but are just too popular to really justify them jobbing to anything other than #1 and #2 guys.</p><p> </p><p> The others are just a tag team that got over but isn't really good enough to be a singles guy. I often use them for tournies or "big main events" on my TV show. Then you have guys that get pushed to main event despite not being there. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> That's how I do it. I try to not have anything over 6-8 real main eventers. The others just place main event because that's how the game works.</p></div></blockquote><p> You said you will give him a title shot when the momentum is high enough but what is high enough?</p>

Depends on the situation. Sometimes I have them work exclusively dark matches - against local guys, against lower tier guys that shouldn't be on the main show, or just testing chemistry. Sometimes it's a release. Sometimes I send them on vacation or lend them out to alliance promotions (and have him work dark matches as well).

I usually either have them winning all their matches with people at a lower level than they are, and use them to put over the main event guys I want to be my main focus for the time being until I am ready to pencil them into another major leading storyline.

<p>I have them enter filler feuds. For example... Tommy Cornell is now "training" his stable I created that consist of mostly extremely young talents. (Hawkins, Golden, Valiant) </p><p> </p><p> Even though Cornell won't lose, he is an elite worker that will surely help train those 3, who except for Valiant are NBT.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="chm39" data-cite="chm39" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You said you will give him a title shot when the momentum is high enough but what is high enough?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Oh, honestly I just meant "headcanon" high enough.</p><p> </p><p> For example when Phillip Roberts in my game beat Jack Bruce he was granted an International title shot. When Haruki Kudo teamed up with one of his proteges and they strung together a few wins... I gave them a tag title shot. When Tommy Cornell won King of Kings and came out on top in a major non-title feud (Cornell vs. BLZ Bubb) I had Cornell "demand" a title shot.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="shawn michaels 82" data-cite="shawn michaels 82" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>There is no such thing as too many MEs. Tag teams, stables, gatekeepers, etc. There is a ton of stuff to do with them. But if they are really over, don't be like WWE, give them the belt.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This.</p><p> </p><p> Entirely true, just have something for everybody to do, and the people who can't make it on the card get pre-show matches, pretty simple solutions, but as long as you're enjoying what you're doing it shouldn't be too big of a problem.</p><p> </p><p> I have 18 Main Eventers, unsurprisingly having almost double the amount of recommended wrestlers, but none of them are unhappy.</p>

Another good use- the "transitional champion." Say you want to give an up and comer a chance with the belt, see how they do, but they're a heel, and so's the current champ. Well slap that belt on one of your babyface main eventers for a bit, give a little build up, and then he or she drops the strap to the new blood.

<p>Letting people go is simply good for the game world, making the game a lot more fun in the long run. It's so easy to stockpile wrestlers in this game. Having 20 main eventers on your roster and having stuff for them to do doesn't really make you a "good booker." The game just doesn't simulate reality as well as it could. Even at the WWF's height of creativity, the year 2000, people still bitched about their position on the card, for example. </p><p> </p><p>

LET 'EM GO!</p>

<p>One thing I hate is when guys that aren't main eventers get pushed to main event.</p><p> </p><p>

Alex DeColt in my game has 80 popularity. That isn't a main eventer to me. Most of my real main eventers are 86-100 popularity. But he is considered one. This sucks. Jack Avatar 79 popularity, main eventer! It's like why?</p>

Even if I don't have much for some Main Eventers at the time I keep them around as feuds will change nd fresh challengers will be needed.

Like I could have gotten rid of a 40 year old SGT Slaughter in 1990 he is low main Eventers but I use him as the first US champion. His gimmick suited it and I use him to have feuds with my up and comers like Pillman and Austin 4 month feuds with both helped them get over despute them losing. Keep Slaughter momentum high so when I need to he can lose the odd match to my stars without it hurting him too much.

Letting people go is simply good for the game world, making the game a lot more fun in the long run. It's so easy to stockpile wrestlers in this game. Having 20 main eventers on your roster and having stuff for them to do doesn't really make you a "good booker." The game just doesn't simulate reality as well as it could. Even at the WWF's height of creativity, the year 2000, people still bitched about their position on the card, for example.

LET 'EM GO!

That is, of course, if you have them on written contracts. If you're Regional or smaller, your main eventers will get offered PPA deals with other small companies and main event there, and that is also good for the game world.

<p>Tag teams and factions are good uses for stalled MEs. If you're running current WWE, you could have a heel faction on top of Raw and then a face faction bubbling up, maybe led by Reigns. Then you could have face faction on top of Smackdown with a heel faction underneath. You don't have to name them just use them together constantly in matches.</p><p> </p><p>

You may have to juggle the rosters some to make it work. Don't shy away from having a faction 6 or 7 deep. Someone has to take falls. Try having two heel and two face factions on each show. That allows the lower card guys to be associated together and if they take over, they can pull others with them OR turn on their current associates to either form a new group or join an existing one.</p><p> </p><p>

There is a really good video by either Real Neat Puro or Showbuckle that talks about how NJPW books belts. It will provide some ideas on how to book factions/groups so that everyone looks strong and has a clear direction.</p>

Archived