1991: Vince, versus Ted, versus...wait, HIM?!?!

JANUARY 1ST, 1991

This is a weird time for the professional wrestling business.

On one side, you’ve got Vince McMahon and the WWF. Vince has ridden Hulk Hogan like a prized thoroughbred, but it’s clear to anyone watching that Hulk’s gimmick is getting stale. There’s no telling how much longer that company can go with Hogan as its cash cow, and if Vince thinks any of the muscleheads he’s got lined up can draw ANYTHING compared to that piece of garbage, he’s kidding himself.

On another side, you’ve got Ted Turner and WCW. They’ve disassociated themselves with the NWA, and they’re going to try to make a run at Vince. My questions: Who the hell knows who they’re going to have running things, and what’s their big master plan? It seems like Turner’s a money mark, and is perfectly content to keep things going exactly the way they are. If they do that, the regional stuff they do isn’t going to work one bit on a national stage.

I think there’s room in the middle of these two sides for an alternative. I think there’s a lot of older talent being discarded by both organizations despite having plenty of matches left, and I also think there are young guys out there that are doing things nobody’s ever done before. With my experience on all sides of the business, and with my ability to make money not in question, it’s only fitting that I’m the guy who’ll step into that middle and try to squeeze someone out.

And oh, by the way: I want VERY badly to beat Vince at his own game while also kicking his butt in a court of law.

http://i.imgur.com/tk5LvCb.jpg

---

SEVERAL DAYS LATER

OK, if this is going to work, I need help, and lots of it. I may have some money, but I need more, plus at least one guaranteed, bankable star to build around. Thankfully, it just so happens one is available, and despite some minor differences over the years, I’m more than willing to work with him…especially since he appears to be in need of an employer who will appreciate his services.

RING

RING

RING

“Hello?”

Ric Flair? This is Jesse Ventura.”

“…Jesse? How did you get my number? And why are you calling me?”

“Well, Mr. Flair, I’ve heard the rumors. You’re telling me Jim Herd wants you to shave your head, get an ear pierced, and be Spartacus?”

“How the hell do you know this?”

“I have my sources. Anyway. I’m starting something new. Something that’ll knock Vince and Ted on their butts and maybe shake things up in the business. But you know me. For all the problems I've had with people, never let it be said that I do anything less than 100%. I’m going big with this. I need someone to build my company around. And it would appear you need a landing spot.”

“You think you can beat Vince and Ted?”

“Maybe I can, maybe I can’t…but I KNOW I need you to be able to try.”

“…you’ve got my attention. Come meet me in Charlotte. Oh, and Jesse?”

“Yeah?”

“If I like what I hear…I may not be alone.”

CLICK.

---

This is my first foray into a real mod since a 1995 game on TEW 2013, and I'm really excited to give this premise a go. I'll be using the world-renowned Rising Storms mod for this one, and I'm looking forward to making something out of nothing and taking you on the ride. Hopefully, we can give the establishment a much-needed shakeup!

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>MID-JANUARY</strong></p><p><strong>

CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<em>We’ve got an OK little crowd for this press conference. It’s the first chance I’ve got to put new eyeballs on my new project, and given some of the news that I’ve got, I shouldn’t have to do too much.</em></p><p> </p><p>

“Good afternoon, everyone. My name is <strong>Jesse Ventura</strong>, although you probably already know that. I’ve called you all here for an announcement that will rock the wrestling world to its core, and one that will come as welcome news to fans all across the country.</p><p> </p><p>

“That news: Effective immediately, I am spearheading a brand-new organization called <strong>Universal Championship Wrestling</strong>, or <strong>UCW</strong>.”</p><p> </p><p>

<em>I pause to let the cameras click, and once the sound of pens and pencils scribbling notes on paper dies down a bit, I continue.</em></p><p> </p><p>

“Wrestling fans now have a third choice. They don’t need to pick between one outlet full of overgrown, roided-up, unbelievable characters, and another that’s stuck in 1974, when wrestling was conducted in smoky bars and bingo halls. At UCW, we consider ourselves the best of the best, and we’ve been hard at work signing the best of the best away from our competitors to written contracts, so that the only place you’ll be able to see these guys…will be on UCW television.</p><p> </p><p>

“That’s right. I’ve been hard at work with some of my friends in the television business, and I’ve come to terms with them on a show that should scare our competitors to death. That show is <strong>UCW Mayhem</strong>, which will be televised live every Tuesday, during the late-evening hours, on three different networks. American fans can see us on MTV, Canadian fans can tune in to RDS, and Mexican fans can watch on TV Azteca.”</p><p> </p><p>

<em>A few reporters raise their hands to ask questions, but I’m not finished yet.</em></p><p> </p><p>

“I’ve also got one other big announcement before I take your questions. I came prepared with something that’ll look REALLY nice in all the papers tomorrow.”</p><p> </p><p>

<em>I pull out a big paper sack, opening it to reveal a huge silver belt before draping it over the podium.</em></p><p> </p><p>

“This is the <strong>UCW Heavyweight Championship</strong>. It will quickly become the biggest prize in our business, and I have already lined up an eight-man tournament that will begin on the first episode of UCW Mayhem this Tuesday night. Remember what I said about lining up the best of the best? Here’s where I back it up.</p><p> </p><p>

“The eight combatants in this tournament are as follows: <strong>Ricky Steamboat</strong>, <strong>Rick Rude</strong>, <strong>Kevin Von Erich</strong>, <strong>Paul Orndorff</strong>, <strong>Terry Gordy</strong>, <strong>Bam Bam Bigelow</strong>, <strong>Chris Adams</strong>…and a man you may have heard of by the name of <strong>Ric Flair</strong>.”</p><p> </p><p>

<em>More cameras click, and several audible gasps echo around the room.</em></p><p> </p><p>

“Four first-round matchups will be held this Tuesday night. I urge you all to stay tuned, because you’ll see a LOT more names you recognize at Mayhem.</p><p> </p><p>

“Now…any questions?”</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Hands rocket towards the ceiling, and I point to a man in the front row.</em></p><p> </p><p>

“Jesse, we know you’re currently dealing with a lawsuit against <strong>Vince McMahon</strong> and the <strong>WWF</strong>. Has Mr. McMahon reached out to you at all?”</p><p> </p><p>

“Let’s just say Vince McMahon is no fan of UCW. Oh, it was fine and dandy when Vince went around raiding talent, but when someone does it to him, he complains like someone is taking his livelihood away from him. He can’t have it both ways. I think he realizes that Universal Championship Wrestling is a huge threat.”</p><p> </p><p>

<em>I roll my eyes, pointing to another reporter in the back.</em></p><p> </p><p>

“Will you have an on-screen presence in this new venture?”</p><p> </p><p>

“I will serve as the color commentator for Mayhem and any other events we may air. My partner in crime will be <strong>Ed Whalen</strong>, a man I have respected for decades and one of the top play-by-play men in the business.</p><p> </p><p>

“I’ve got time for one more question. I’m a busy man.”</p><p> </p><p>

<em>One more hand goes up.</em></p><p> </p><p>

“Are there any other major targets you have in your sights?”</p><p> </p><p>

“We’re always interested in acquiring new talent, and not just the ones the average fan knows about. There are kids out there doing stuff you wouldn’t believe, and our competitors wouldn’t touch them with a 10-foot pole because they’re too small, or the masks scare them, or they don’t have a certain look. We want the best of the best here in UCW, and that’s what we’re committed to giving our fans every time they watch our product.</p><p> </p><p>

“Okay, that’s enough for right now. Hope to see you Tuesday night!”</p>

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>TUESDAY, WEEK 3, JANUARY 1991</strong></p><p><strong>

SEVERAL HOURS BEFORE UCW MAYHEM</strong></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

<em>There's a palpable buzz around Jefferson County Fairgrounds, site of the first-ever UCW Mayhem show. The boys in the back are excited, proud, maybe a little nervous, but what most of them don't know is that I've got a very special guest in mind to help them, and the promotion itself, get off the ground.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

I've placed a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the door of a meeting room, and for good reason. I do NOT want this getting around.</em></p><p> </p><p>

"Thanks for coming," I tell my guest. "I know we've had our issues in the past, but it means a lot to me that you're here."</p><p> </p><p>

<em>"Jesse, you don't need to butter me up," he responds tersely. "What is it that you want?"</em></p><p> </p><p>

"Well, I'm hoping you can serve a real purpose here," I explain. "I don't know how much you've seen or heard, but this is a project I'm extremely proud of, and I need a guy who knows what you know to help some of these boys out. I'm offering you a job as our head road agent behind the scenes, as well as an on-camera role as UCW President."</p><p> </p><p>

<em>A pause.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

"First, I'd ask about the money."</em></p><p> </p><p>

"The money's good. I've got a written, guaranteed contract all drawn up."</p><p> </p><p>

<em>"Then I'd ask who I'm mentoring."</em></p><p> </p><p>

"I was waiting for you to say that," I respond with a smile while pulling out a sheet of paper and sliding it across the table. "Here's the full roster. A few more guys may be coming, but this is most of them."</p><p> </p><p>

My guest looks at the sheet, which reads thusly.</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>MAIN EVENTERS</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Faces: Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat</p><p>

Heels: Rick Rude, Paul Orndorff</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UPPER MIDCARDERS</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Faces: Chris Adams, Jim Brunzell, Kevin Von Erich</p><p>

Heels: Terry Gordy</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>MIDCARDERS</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Faces: B. Brian Blair, Brian Pillman</p><p>

Heels: Art Barr, Bam Bam Bigelow, Eddie Guerrero, Owen Hart</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>LOWER MIDCARDERS</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Faces: None</p><p>

Heels: Sabu...</p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<em>"Jesse, this part is chicken-scratch. I can't read the last two names."</em></p><p> </p><p>

"I'll introduce you to them later. Keep going."</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>OPENERS</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Faces: Ultimo Dragon, Jerry Lynn</p><p>

Heels: None</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>ENHANCEMENT TALENT</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Faces: 2 Cold Scorpio</p><p>

Heels: None</p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<em>"This is an OK list," my guest nods as he passes the paper back. "I could work with that."</em></p><p> </p><p>

"Does that mean you're in?," I ask, extending my hand. "Let's let bygones be bygones, and let's work together to shake things up in wrestling."</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Silently, my guest slowly extends his hand.</em></p><p> </p><p>

"Happy to have you on board. Now. Let's call a meeting and get everyone up to speed on how things are going to work around here."</p><p> </p><p>

---</p><p> </p><p>

Full card coming in the next post. Use that as a basis for predictions!</p>

<p>Predictions are open! I'm hoping to have the writeup posted tomorrow (Tuesday) night, so as to give people time to post predictions if they're so inclined.</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>UCW MAYHEM: WEEK 3, JANUARY 1991</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PRE-SHOW</strong></p><p>

Owen Hart vs. Jerry Lynn</p><p>

Comments:</p><p> </p><p>

---</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>FATAL FOUR WAY</strong></p><p>

Ultimo Dragon vs. Brian Pillman vs. Sabu vs. 2 Cold Scorpio</p><p>

<strong>UCW HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT</strong></p><p>

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Ricky Steamboat</p><p>

Chris Adams vs. Rick Rude</p><p>

<strong>TAG MATCH</strong></p><p>

The Killer Bees (B. Brian Blair, Jim Brunzell) vs. Art Barr & Eddie Guerrero</p><p>

Terry Gordy vs. Kevin Von Erich</p><p>

Ric Flair vs. Paul Orndorff</p><p>

<strong>BONUS QUESTIONS</strong></p><p>

1) Who is the UCW President/main road agent?</p><p>

2) Who are the two lower midcarders said president/road agent couldn't make out?</p></div><p></p><p></p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">UCW MAYHEM: WEEK 3, JANUARY 1991</span></strong></p><p>

Attendance: 2,000 (SELL OUT)</p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>PRE-SHOW</strong></p><p>

Owen Hart vs. Jerry Lynn</p><p> </p><p>

<em>I wanted to waste no time in making sure people knew this was different from everything else in wrestling they’d see on TV. As such, the crowd got a pre-show bonus with two guys who have all the makings of future stars, and they got them for 18 minutes. Ultimately, Owen got the win with a Sharpshooter at 18:29.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>MATCH RATING:</strong> 61</p><p> </p><p>

---</p><p> </p><p>

<em>The show opened with a limo pulling up outside the Jefferson County Fairgrounds, and exiting was </em><em><strong>Ric Flair</strong></em><em>. Flair didn’t need me to tell him anything about what to say or how to say it, so I let him go out there and put himself over as the man to lead UCW forward. Naturally, this didn’t go over too well with </em><em><strong>Rick Rude</strong></em><em>, who walked in and disparaged Flair, saying his time had passed and Rude’s was just starting. After a brief exchange, the two seemed like they were about to come to blows, but they were interrupted by a man off-screen yelling, “STOP!”</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

The camera then panned right to reveal a suited-up…</em><em><strong>Verne Gagne</strong></em><em>. Gagne revealed himself as UCW President, and said he was not going to have the first broadcast of UCW Mayhem, and the Heavyweight Championship Tournament, ruined by two guys who couldn’t keep egos in check. He ordered both men to their dressing rooms ahead of their matches against </em><em><strong>Chris Adams</strong></em><em> and </em><em><strong>Paul Orndorff</strong></em><em>. All told, this was a fun opening segment showcasing two of our biggest stars, as well as introducing our new President.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>SEGMENT RATING:</strong> 74</p><p> </p><p>

---</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>FATAL FOUR WAY</strong></p><p>

Ultimo Dragon vs. Brian Pillman vs. Sabu vs. 2 Cold Scorpio</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Our competitors are so far behind the times in how to use guys like these, so I trotted all four of them out and gave them eight minutes to knock the fans on their butts. That’s what they did, reeling off high spot after high spot. Brian Pillman is a guy I’m extremely high on, given his abilities in the ring and on the microphone, so I put him over. He pinned 2 Cold Scorpio at 8:16 following an Enzuigiri.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>MATCH RATING:</strong> 69</p><p> </p><p>

---</p><p> </p><p>

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Ricky Steamboat</p><p> </p><p>

<em>I knew the fans would see Steamboat as a heavy favorite to advance in the tournament, so my instructions to Ricky were to make Bam Bam look as good as possible for as long as possible. The fans bought Bigelow as a monster, and he kept up with Steamboat in the ring, which was good to see since he’s still got some room to grow. As promising as he is and as solid as he looked, though, I could’ve never foreseen a scenario where Bigelow went over. Steamboat advanced in the tournament following a Diving Crossbody at 9:35.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>MATCH RATING:</strong> 80</p><p> </p><p>

---</p><p> </p><p>

Chris Adams vs. Rick Rude</p><p> </p><p>

<em>This match was intended to serve as a re-introduction of Rick Rude to a national audience. He’s one of the best heels in the world, and I’m looking forward to seeing him practice his craft on our stage. Chris Adams served as a solid first-round foil, and he’ll be a fun guy to have going forward. He’s a very good worker, can work face or heel, and has no problem putting guys over. That’s what he did here after a fairly long match, as Rude got the duke at 17:54 following a Rude Awakening.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>MATCH RATING:</strong> 76</p><p> </p><p>

---</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>TAG MATCH</strong></p><p>

The Killer Bees (B. Brian Blair, Jim Brunzell) vs. Art Barr & Eddie Guerrero</p><p> </p><p>

<em>It made no sense not to use both previously-formed tag teams I’ve got under contract in some capacity, and I think I found a fun way to do that. Barr and Guerrero are definitely better-known in Mexico than here, so this served as a way to get them over against a recognizable tandem. In fact, the two young heels probably could have gone over outright. However, my plan was to have them hit a double frog splash to the floor on Blair and Brunzell before walking out and drawing a double-countout eight minutes in. Why? This became clear just a few moments later.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>MATCH RATING:</strong> 72</p><p> </p><p>

---</p><p> </p><p>

<em><strong>Blair</strong></em><em> and </em><em><strong>Brunzell</strong></em><em> began coming to their senses with the help of our medical team…but suddenly, two large men stormed down the ramp, shoved the medics out of the way, and laid stiff shots in on the two fan favorites. The crowd came unglued with boos, and </em><em><strong>Ed Whalen</strong></em><em> could hardly contain himself on commentary as he identified the culprits: </em><em><strong>Scott Norton</strong></em><em> and </em><em><strong>Yokozuna</strong></em><em>.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

The Bees were once again knocked out cold as a full army of security personnel ushered Norton and Yoko to the back. The crowd booed them all the way up the ramp, and while it’s not like the segment broke any records, if the fans didn’t know who the Japanese-based Norton and the young AWA refugee Yokozuna were before, they certainly know now. As such, mission accomplished.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>SEGMENT RATING:</strong> 66</p><p> </p><p>

---</p><p> </p><p>

Terry Gordy vs. Kevin Von Erich</p><p> </p><p>

<em>I figured this crowd would eat up an old-school, WCCW-style match between two old enemies, and they did. Naturally, Gordy and Kevin had solid chemistry, and they worked a good match together. Gordy’s still fairly young, even as experienced as he is, and that’s one of the reasons I wanted him to shine. Kevin had no problem putting him over, and he did the honors following a Backdrop Driver at 9:48.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>MATCH RATING:</strong> 80</p><p> </p><p>

---</p><p> </p><p>

Ric Flair vs. Paul Orndorff</p><p> </p><p>

<em>Our first main event pitted two longtime stars against one another, and the crowd was definitely hyped up for it given that this was one of the first meetings ever between Flair and Orndorff. Paul’s certainly declining in ability, but he’s enough of a professional to go the distance with Flair, who can work a very good match with anyone who has a pulse. I wanted to end the first UCW show on a high note, and that’s what we got, as Orndorff submitted to the Figure Four at 18:09 following a solid (if unspectacular) match.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>MATCH RATING:</strong> 78</p><p> </p><p>

---</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>SHOW RATING:</strong> 77</p>

• 2 weeks later...

Archived