<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="gazdaman" data-cite="gazdaman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43625" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Just wondering how everyone comes up with there story lines as i struggle to come up with them and cant seem to keep them going without getting repetitive</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think there are a lot of people who have this problem but it's not really a problem. Not every story you use has to be a brilliant genre defining feud. The basic "I don't like you, I don't like you either, let's fight, I'm gonna get my friend to beat you up now, etc." is always solid to use. I have a brand split with ten stories running right now and only a couple of them go beyond that. </p><p> </p><p> Basically find people who are getting a similar push and have the heel attack the face if you're struggling.</p>

<p>Most of my storylines start with heel attacking face, or cutting a promo on face. </p><p>

Basically, I just look for people of similar pushes that haven't feuded before, and a new feud is born. I like to have a feud for each of my titles, and then two above that. Which is currently six feuds in my present save. </p><p> </p><p>

Or if doing a brand split, then around 5 feuds pr. brand.</p>

My storylines aren't complex....they are really just road maps to remind me who is feuding and who I want to get over. I'll periodically add and remove workers as the story takes a turn or matches get repetitive...but overall it's just a matter of keeping track of "who is doing what".

<p>I start with title feuds which are simple "You have the belt, I want it" feuds. Everything else is just a slow build to a bigger show. If I want Austin and Rock to battle at Mania, I make sure I put them both in feuds leading up to the event that will make them look strong. </p><p> </p><p>

I also love continuity. So if there was a previous angle between two workers a year ago. I make sure I address the previous conflict the next time they feud.</p>

<p>Ok, as we all know some come naturally, 2 guys that just match up and their story just writes itself. But sometime you get 2 guys that you struggle to think of anything so a long time ago I wrote a list of possible storylines that I could use. Some of these are fairly self explanatory but some I'll expand on.</p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>World's Oldest Champ - Find the oldest active wrestler on your roster and push him to become World Champ.<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Form a team for the benefit of one - Put a worker you want to push with someone that's already established<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Worker claims to be the best but avoids proving it - essentially this is Chris Jericho vs CM Punk if Y2J had been confident enough to defend his claims of being the best...at what he does. So instead fakes injuries, sets up ambushed and basically weasels out of getting in the ring. <br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Face jealous of another Face - Obviously will require a heel turn, motives could be title wins, recent music or movie events, relationships or is just more popular...<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Millionaire Stable - Bit like The Million Dollar corporation. In RW mods I like to group together people like, Del Rio, Ted DiBiase Sr.&Jr, Cody Rhodes, MVP, The Miz, JBL, William Regal. Pretty much anybody with a Rich/Snobby gimmick.<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>3 way Title<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Worker wins title, splits tag team, former partner takes title<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Rookie tries to take veterans place - He could succeed or he could fail...<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Outcast saves promotion - This is for an Invasion type storyline, but the hero that's saves the promotion is the promotions outcast.<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Antagonist wins title from face then avoids rematch<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Future stars feud - 2 youngster prove themselves by tearing the house down <br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Best of 5 or 7 series<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Worker blackmails another - Lots of options here<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Giant picks on plucky Underdog - This is similar to others on the list but is intended as a straight big guy attacks little guy with the little guy putting up a fight in a David vs Goliath way. <br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Damsel in distress - Heel is terrorizing female, face save/defends her<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Legend Killer - Randy Orton style, Young brash heel systematically beats legends/main eventers<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Love Triangle - 2 guys fight for females affection, can also be done for a managers<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Thorn in side - can be done with faces or heels, A top face while in the midst of a separate feud is constantly pestered by a lower card heel through distraction and attacks until they finally breaks and has to deal with the problem.<br />

A dastardly heel who is hell bend on destroy a promotion is repeatedly thwarted by a undersized unassuming Face. To start with, the heel deals with the face easily, and carries on with their task. But the face bounces back each time proving to be an annoyance. Then as the heel becomes violent in trying to eradicate this tenacious little bastard it turns out the face is tougher and more dangerous than the heel first thought.<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Feud interrupted by legit contender - run of the mill title feud is interrupted by someone who has won the right to challenge for the title (either by Royal Rumble, MITB or by beat the challenger or champ 3 times) <br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Worker pokes sleeping dog - can be tied in with Legend Killer, worker annoys or challenge somebody they perceive as an easy win but awakens the fight in that person<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Rookie/Jobbers revolt - A promotions jobbers band together to tackle the status quo. Leading to battle with Authority Figure & Main Event guys<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Worker called on his actions - A face who's not happy with another's attitude or actions recent, this could be their tag partner or a guy who been mistreating a girl or a giant that's been putting midgets through plate glass windows. There's a lot of options<br /> <br /> <br /></li><li>Stable leader tries to recruit new guy - A new guy in the promotion is offered a spot in a stable. Obviously he says no, thus becomes the stables target. I ran this once with it leading to the stable members turning on the leader and siding with the new guy.<br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

So there you have it, this is a list I use quite a bit when thinking of storylines. It goes without saying that these are just starting points that can take you in a thousand different directions. Your imagination could run in a completely different direction than mine ever could so I hope this has helped you.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="gazdaman" data-cite="gazdaman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43625" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Just wondering how everyone comes up with there story lines as i struggle to come up with them and cant seem to keep them going without getting repetitive</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I struggled with this myself. I couldn't come up with enough storylines to be able to run my shows (and I don't play tons of shows, I have 2 saves and I keep them on the same date as the date of real life, so I don't do that many shows.) Sure, I could come up with generic storylines, but I wasn't happy enough with them. In real life all or almost all of the storylines wouldn't be <em>that</em> generic. I wondered to myself how people could come up with enough storylines that were good enough for their game. This was the main reason why I kept buying TEW year after year, but I could never get into the game and eventually quit. Here is what I did to get the quality and the amount of storylines I wanted:</p><p> </p><p> 1. Get storylines from real life wrestling shows. Copy them straight up, or change them around just a little bit for your liking. I watch New Japan and once in a while watch old ECW 1996 shows.</p><p> </p><p> 2. (A must for any wrestling fan) Subscribe to f4wonline. Dave Melter is a genius. I can't tell you the amount of insights and ideas I get from f4wonline.com. The radio shows, and most of all the Wrestling Observer. What I do is listen to past Wrestling Observer Newsletters with a text to speech program which can be found at ttsreader.com. If you are listening on a tablet download (I can't remember the exact name but it is something like Google text to speech voices/software) because the default voices suck. I recommend whether you are listening on a tablet or a computer to select male, british voice at slow speed. I listen in my free time or while working on school work. Not only is it fun but you will get tons of storyline ideas, tricks, tips, and general wrestling character information. These will help you create tons of storylines. </p><p> </p><p> 3. Sports are all based around storylines. Most people don't realize this, but they are. Any podcasts, writers, or magazines that you follow can influence you for storylines. For me I am a big racing fan. I listen to the O'Reilly Pit Reporters show, Nascar on NBC podcast, Monday Morning Doughnuts, and follow Ricky Craven as a writer. You would be surprised how many storylines you can come with from following sports.</p><p> </p><p> 4. Voicesofwrestling.com is a great website. Not as great as f4wonline.com but they have great articles, previews, and reviews of shows that will help influence you for storylines. The Voices Of Wrestling Flagship Podcast will also help influence you for storylines.</p><p> </p><p> 5. Speaking of voicesofwrestling.com read the New Japan Year in Review eBooks (they are free) for 2014, 2015, and 2016. Google them to find them. They will help influence you for storylines.</p><p> </p><p> 6. Any YouTubers you like that cover wrestling will also influence you with tips, tricks, and storylines ideas. I follow TruthSlayer, FoolKiller, and InstantClassic.</p><p> </p><p> 7. You would be shocked, I mean SHOCKED how many storylines are super basic and simple (yes I know that kind of contradicts my point at the top of this post.) I learned this from listening to the Wrestling Observer Newsetter's show recaps. Heel taunting guy, heel making fun of fans or wrestler, wrestler challenging another wrestler on the mic, wrestler interferes in match which causes a rivalry between the 2, babyface acting like a generic babyface, heel acting like a generic heel etc. You would be SHOCKED how many segments and storylines are revolved around generic things. It is not unrealistic at all to have tons of segments and storylines like these.</p><p> </p><p> 8. Less is more when doing shows. In my opinion the best way to play the game is to sim one day in the game for each day of real life. I am going to have 2 sims and I am playing them until they get to the real life time, and then I am going to sim one day of the game for each day in real life. I see people who within months on real life time have years, and years, and years of in-game time. People are playing 2025, 2026 etc. This is just my opinion, but how can you truly capitalize on storylines, emotions, character planning, and long term booking when you are playing a year in game within a week or 2 of real life time? A real life wrestling bookers would never be able to do that, and I feel like you miss out on so much investment into the characters and storylines when you do that. It is also impossible to come up with enough quality storylines when doing that. I strongly recommend my way of playing the game. You won't have to rush to come up with storylines and you will have plenty of time to come up with storylines and future planning. Keep a notebook with you to help you come up and keep track of characters and long term storytelling. It is a lot of fun.</p><p> </p><p> 9. If you do the #1-#8 in this post then you will naturally be able to come up with your own storylines, and will be able to tweak storylines, tips, and tricks to create your own storylines. There is just too much information being shoved your way not to. You will get in the habit of it.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Azul" data-cite="Azul" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43625" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> 8. Less is more when doing shows. In my opinion the best way to play the game is to sim one day in the game for each day of real life. I am going to have 2 sims and I am playing them until they get to the real life time, and then I am going to sim one day of the game for each day in real life. I see people who within months on real life time have years, and years, and years of in-game time. People are playing 2025, 2026 etc. This is just my opinion, but how can you truly capitalize on storylines, emotions, character planning, and long term booking when you are playing a year in game within a week or 2 of real life time? A real life wrestling bookers would never be able to do that, and I feel like you miss out on so much investment into the characters and storylines when you do that. It is also impossible to come up with enough quality storylines when doing that. I strongly recommend my way of playing the game. You won't have to rush to come up with storylines and you will have plenty of time to come up with storylines and future planning. Keep a notebook with you to help you come up and keep track of characters and long term storytelling. It is a lot of fun.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think that the speed at which you book at depends on the sie of promotion that you are. If I'm booking WWE with Raw, Smackdown, Superstars, 205 Live and occasionally an NXT Brand then I book a day in real time so that I can plan each show while only thinking about that show and not what I'm ging to de elsewhere. However, when I booking small companies, especially when I can only afford to hold one show per month I look to book one month per day as otherwise I would have too many days where there was nothing going on and I would lose interest. For a medium sized company (TNA, ROH) I'll look to book one week per day. This really helps to ensure that I am focusing on that show and enjoying the storylines and characters that I have at that point.</p><p> </p><p> The most important thing I think is booking storylines that interest you. So if you are into New Japan style pro wrestling is sport then all your storylines need to be is champion vs challenger. If you enjoy the more sports entertainment style of the WWE then you can book evil foreign heel v patriotic face etc. Or you can book Lucha Underground style mythology based feuds and have characters that burst into flames when they disappear or the owners man eating brother. The most important aspect is enjoyment and so the more you enjoy the storylines you are making the more likely you are to enjoy booking them and developing them</p>

Just wondering how everyone comes up with there story lines as i struggle to come up with them and cant seem to keep them going without getting repetitive

I wouldnt put the focus on the storyline to be honest if you are struggling.

Think of storylines as a means to get Superstars over. Think of a it like a book...

Intro

Middle Chapters

Ending

If u do it right, your superstar will get hella over (in due time) and it will be nice to look back and know you organically got someone over from jobber to Main Eventer through short 3-4 month storylines over the years.

I only have a handful of well thought storylines with twists and turns. The Attitude Era was full of well thought out storylines because of Vince Russo & Ed Ferrera.

for example, my pet project was Baron Corbin (waaay before he was pushed in real life)

during his rookie year, he had "lower midcard" storylines picking on another fellow lower midcarder, Kalisto, so it was

Intro

"Lower-midcard"

"Baron Corbin vs Kalisto

angles were Baron attacking Kalisto and cutting promos about Kalisto being a little boy in a big mans world (similar to real life corbin vs kalisto)

down the line I added...Big Show

so it was...

"Baron Corbin (major) vs Kalisto (major) vs Big Show (aligned with Kalisto)

then I had Big Show stand up for Kalisto and defeated Corbin. These lil encounters went on until Corbin finally got his payback and ended the fued by beating Big Show in a lower midcard PPV match.

you do this for like 3-4 months then Corbin gets over in popularity. He should go from "Lower-midcard" to a legit "midcarder"

Next, are the "middle chapters" of your chapter book

Middle Chapter 1.0

"Midcard vs upper midcarder" fued

Baron Corbin vs Dolph Ziggler

this is basically Corbin not liking Ziggler's cocky attitude and that he's the new big dog on Smackdown and Ziggler hates young NXT punks trying to take his shine

this is self explanatory where u have them have a series of matches but ultimately, Baron should come out of this looking strong at a PPV.

then you end this fued.

by now, Baron should be a very strong Upper-midcarder now...This is the fun part

Middle Chapter 2.0

"Upper midcarder vs Main Eventer"

"Randy Orton (main eventer) vs Baron Corbin (upper midcard)

Corbin can talk about how he has run through all the scrubs on Smackdown and now he wants to face "the Legend" Randy Orton. Baron can say Orton is finally the legend and its bout time for a "NEW legend killer" to rise.

have these too fight in a normal match at a SD Live PPV and you will notice that Orton might complain alittle (or alot :mad:) about losing to Corbin. This is what I use as a gauge. I let Orton win the first match but let Corbin win in angles. Overtime, you have a big payoff match. I think I finally let Corbin beat Orton at Wrestlemania 34 (last year) when his popularity was on par with Ortons.

Ending

"Main Eventer vs Main Eventer"

Baron Corbin vs John Cena (WWE champion)

This could be Corbin winning a #1 contenders match or the Royal Rumble or anything to set him up against the biggest star on the brand most likely the champion.

Corbin should obviously win and thats the end of his Intro, Middle, and Ending. This is how I use Storylines in short bursts to make a bigger picture like a puzzle.

<p>Well I've always had a great mind for writing so it really comes naturally for me to come up with storylines. Sure, sometimes they end up being repetitive but every now and then a very unique idea comes around. Unfortunately I feel like something like this can't be taught, you need to have it in you to do this. But one thing I've done sometimes when I've struggled is think about storylines that actually happened and kind of copy the structure but change some things so it's not the exact same. I did this for example with a Sin Cara vs Sin Cara feud which already happened in real life but in my game it was totally different anyway.</p><p> </p><p>

One tip I can give you about storytelling is that you need to find motivation for everyone. Why is this feud happening? They're not doing this just for entertainment after all, they need to have something that drives them. In wrestling most common things like this would be winning the championship, revenge, jealousy or proving you're better than someone. But with a little imagination you can come up with just anything that they want. But the important part is that everyone involved needs to have a goal, whether they accomplish it by the end or not. Over the course of the story, this goal can change as well. It can go from jealousy to revenge and then back to jealousy after the revenge did nothing to change things etc. The best way for me to do the storylines is let them mold as they go along.</p>

Had this Awsome (in my oppinion) idea for a story once, but I'm too lazy to dynasty it or even go the whole hog with it in game, anyone feel free to use it (especially in a dynasty, I'd love to read someone's take on it).

I got the idea from the Gimmick "Time Traveller". Basically, A new guy comes into town and claims he can predict the future. He starts predicting winners of matches, and events and so-forth. In the same company are 3 other characters, a con-man, a gambler and a manager of the two who also has some kind of money motivated gimmick. They somehow get the time traveller to "work" for them, against his will, making them money through gambling (he knows who the winners will be). Skip forward a little bit and a big face can see that this guys talents are being exploited and another heel or authority figure thinks there is some Match fixing going on (adding more to the story).

This is about where I got to with the story, although as a secondary storyline, someone in the company is celebrating the birth of their son....long story short.....that baby turns out to be him! Or he ends up feuding with his own Dad (who is younger than him)......(I'm a bit of a time travel obsessive).

May not be right forum for this, but anyone who wants a free (long term) story, feel free to use it. I know it's gimmicky but could be fun for a PG promotion.

But one thing I've done sometimes when I've struggled is think about storylines that actually happened and kind of copy the structure but change some things so it's not the exact same.

I think that's what most bookers do, to rely on something that has worked before, whether it was your own idea or that of anyone else or something that is so simple that it will always work (like Face champ vs Monster heel).

I learned a lot from watching old school wrestling because they kept it quite simple back in the 70s or 80s, and once you learned those simple storyline structures you will be able to add more complexity and build up greater stories.

I recommend Jim Cornette's podcasts, you will find a lot of youtube videos where he talks about classic feuds and/or how he would book current superstars. Like him or not, he has a great mind for the business.

I'm currently booking Impact Wrestling, and one of my favorite storylines kinda came up by accident... I had Rosemary feud with Madison Rayne for the Knockout title, and Rosemary retained at the first PPV, do to interference by The Decay. Then I signed Ronda Rousey, who debuted by saving Rayne from an attack, claiming she was a legit fighter and not afraid of any of them. Rousey then alligned with Rayne, and got a title shot at the next PPV, where Rosemary retained again do to interference from Decay. At SlammiVersary, a triple threat match was booked between Rosemary, Rayne and Rousey, with Decay banned from ringside (if they appeared, Rosemary would lose the title). Rousey won by making Rosemary submit.

Over the course of the three months, all three got their pop raised pretty significantly.

Archived