Let's Talk Match Aims

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="mlewi101" data-cite="mlewi101" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Actually the technical masterclass aim is th eone that always stumps me. . Not sure if it is harder to use/place due to em playing women';s feds so mcuh but i generally get a bad placement note no matter where i place it on the card.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I've had some experience with using technical masterclass, I've been playing as a UK fed in 1987 in a real world mod. Most of my roster are based around tech and Mat skills.</p><p> </p><p> It's definitely a bit of a pig, the trick is the crowd needs to be warmed up, but not <em>too</em> hot. Start your card as normal, but you want to Calm the Crowd with a quick throw away match, the Work the Crowd with another. Put the Technical Masterclass right after this. Make sure to give it enough time! </p><p> </p><p> Hope this helps!</p>

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had some experience with using technical masterclass, I've been playing as a UK fed in 1987 in a real world mod. Most of my roster are based around tech and Mat skills.

It's definitely a bit of a pig, the trick is the crowd needs to be warmed up, but not too hot. Start your card as normal, but you want to Calm the Crowd with a quick throw away match, the Work the Crowd with another. Put the Technical Masterclass right after this. Make sure to give it enough time!

Hope this helps!

My best experiences with technical masterclass have been placing it as the very first segment of the show, that's the only way I've never been able to utilize it to its full potential.

My best experiences with technical masterclass have been placing it as the very first segment of the show, that's the only way I've never been able to utilize it to its full potential.
It is certainly the simplest way to do it - and the way I used technical masterclass.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It is certainly the simplest way to do it - and the way I used technical masterclass.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Anything after a Comedy or Eye Candy match basically counts as the start of the show except for the "Strong start to the show" bonus. I think I was fine having a single segment before the technical masterclass to get the crowd slightly hotter, but I don't remember entirely as I've only booked that aim like 5-7 times total and not at all on my current game.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LloydCross" data-cite="LloydCross" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Anything after a Comedy or Eye Candy match basically counts as the start of the show except for the "Strong start to the show" bonus. I think I was fine having a single segment before the technical masterclass to get the crowd slightly hotter, but I don't remember entirely as I've only booked that aim like 5-7 times total and not at all on my current game.</div></blockquote>It depends on the segment. If I recall correctly (and I may not be), doing a "Calm the Crowd" in the match before "Technical Masterclass" is another way to do it.

Should the crowd be hot or calm heading into a once in a lifetime match? I'm about to book one at The Supreme Challenge.

This is by far one of the hardest aims to pull off but you would build for it like you would any other epic or spectacle. You want the crowd hot but not too hot.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dubb93" data-cite="dubb93" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Should the crowd be hot or calm heading into a once in a lifetime match? I'm about to book one at The Supreme Challenge.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Out of curiosity, what is the match going to be?</p>

• 1 month later...
I find that using the match aims, such as Epic and Spectacle, I end up with a worse rating on the match than if I just have them go at it in a Regular match (with match aims enabled and yes, I'm having a "calm the crowd" match before to cool them down a bit). So other than the necessary Storytelling one that I need to have one of on each card, and the occasional Work the Crowd, I don't end up using them at all. That seems weird to me, that a regular match would score higher.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="shipshirt" data-cite="shipshirt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I find that using the match aims, such as Epic and Spectacle, I end up with a worse rating on the match than if I just have them go at it in a Regular match (with match aims enabled and yes, I'm having a "calm the crowd" match before to cool them down a bit). So other than the necessary Storytelling one that I need to have one of on each card, and the occasional Work the Crowd, I don't end up using them at all. That seems weird to me, that a regular match would score higher.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> A reason why is because slow build matches are slow build matches. Slow build matches must always be at least 16 minutes. Some workers can't do slow build matches if their stats are too low in certain areas. I find worker needs around D+ to C+ in top row stats (except maybe flashiness, but don't quote me on that) for slow build to work (stats such as Brawling, Puroresu, Hardcore, Chain Wrestling, Mat Wrestling, and Submissions).</p>

A reason why is because slow build matches are slow build matches. Slow build matches must always be at least 16 minutes. Some workers can't do slow build matches if their stats are too low in certain areas. I find worker needs around D+ to C+ in top row stats (except maybe flashiness, but don't quote me on that) for slow build to work (stats such as Brawling, Puroresu, Hardcore, Chain Wrestling, Mat Wrestling, and Submissions).

Here's the thing about your comment...I use slow build for the matches. And they are at least 20-30 min long. Literally everything is the same, except using Epic instead of Regular and the Regular match version scores higher.

You could probably explain it by saying the workers are so good and giving them such a specific idea of a match could restrict their creative process and make the match less than it would be with just a normal aim.

It might be for this reason I've found better success using Spectacle type matches with over the hill vets who don't have the great top row skills anymore, as opposed to two guys in their prime who could get a 90+ match with no notes needed at all.

But either way if people are that good, they should be able to work to that aim as well so it's really weird and mostly confusing.

Here's the thing about your comment...I use slow build for the matches. And they are at least 20-30 min long. Literally everything is the same, except using Epic instead of Regular and the Regular match version scores higher.
Fair point. Maybe it's the top row stats I mentioned?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="shipshirt" data-cite="shipshirt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Here's the thing about your comment...I use slow build for the matches. And they are at least 20-30 min long. Literally everything is the same, except using Epic instead of Regular and the Regular match version scores higher.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Oh, I did some testing...it seems a Regular match that's slow built isn't exactly the same as Epic or Spectacle match that's slow built. I think Epic and Spectacle matches may have additional requirements. It's also possible product settings may play a factor. </p><p> </p><p> So try Regular slow built match instead of an Epic or Spectacle.</p>

<p>Spectacle and Epic matches are one of the things that are affected by Adam's philosophy of "Well they'll figure it out." The game has been out for more than a year, and no one has any idea how the match aim works, even when he's sort of explained certain aspects of them a little while ago. At this point the general consensus about these match aims is that they should not be used at all.</p><p> </p><p>

So either they're just broken, or maybe we need some specific clarification on what they do, because they don't seem very useful.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BrokenCycle" data-cite="BrokenCycle" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Spectacle and Epic matches are one of the things that are affected by Adam's philosophy of "Well they'll figure it out." The game has been out for more than a year, and no one has any idea how the match aim works, even when he's sort of explained certain aspects of them a little while ago. At this point the general consensus about these match aims is that they should not be used at all.</div></blockquote>I also think think it depends on the product. I notice some products are sensitive than others.

I'm starting to agree it is product related. I've mostly played Road To Glory's and so I make a custom product that is pop=per and do really well with the match note. I was always confused when other people couldn't pull it off until I randomly joined a save as WWE and bombed a main event with Kurt Angle vs. Undertaker (2002) with no context besides Tazz sucked as an colour commentator.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BrokenCycle" data-cite="BrokenCycle" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Spectacle and Epic matches are one of the things that are affected by Adam's philosophy of "Well they'll figure it out." The game has been out for more than a year, and no one has any idea how the match aim works, even when he's sort of explained certain aspects of them a little while ago. At this point the general consensus about these match aims is that they should not be used at all.<p> </p><p> So either they're just broken, or maybe we need some specific clarification on what they do, because they don't seem very useful.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Gungner" data-cite="Gungner" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I get 90-100 rated main-event matches with only a winner, slow build/all-out and open match selected. So I stick to that, and do not pick match aims at all.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah this is the same result I get just using Regular (I'm playing as TCW so they are a wrestling oriented product, you'd figure an Epic match once in awhile would be killer). It just stinks that there's a game feature that could be really fun and add a little dimension to it that doesn't seem worth using.</p><p> </p><p> Thanks for the input everyone!</p>

<p>My general approach to match aims:</p><p> </p><p>

On my A show, most matches get the Storytelling aim. They're their to further a feud and sell the PPV at the end of the month. I want my roster healthy for the big show, which sees considerably more wear and tear. This also satisfies the requirement that SE feds have of at least one Storytelling match per show.</p><p> </p><p>

My X Division matches get the High Spots aim. I only ever have one on a card, and I usually have this match go first so as to avoid putting it before a burned out crowd. </p><p> </p><p>

Finally, the main event tends to get the Steal The Show aim or the Spectacle aim. This is the most important match of the night, so I want my talent to go all out to bring in a good score. </p><p> </p><p>

On my B show, I just use the Regular aim. These matches aren't important, they're just to give wrestlers needed wins or TV time, nothing more.</p><p> </p><p>

On PPV, most matches have the Regular aim, but I always include at least one Storytelling aim and one High Spots aim as well.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Sigilistic" data-cite="Sigilistic" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="43785" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>On my A show, most matches get the Storytelling aim. They're their to further a feud and sell the PPV at the end of the month. I want my roster healthy for the big show, which sees considerably more wear and tear. </div></blockquote>I like this. Generally (but not always) Storytelling slightly ever so slightly lowers the in-ring performance, but lowering wear and tear is worth it, especially if the matches aren't the co-main or main event.

<p>My question is what are your intensity and danger levels at that require you to run Storyline match aims on all your matches? I run 40/40 with the mandatory 1 story line match, and I barely have any injuries. Most people run WWE-style feds with 10/20 or 20/20. I mean it is your game, but you're dropping your match ratings by a few points per match. Keep in mind that all wrestlers already drop their efforts very slightly on TV vs when they're on PPV (check the dirt sheet notes).</p><p> </p><p>

And I tried the Spectacle note in my current game, and I still hadn't dropped the crowd level enough for it (that was the dirt sheet note). Ran it Regular and got a 98 so yeah, still see no need to use those two special notes. And it was a lumberjack match which is a spectacle in and of itself.</p>

Archived