MAW Rip Chord Invitational

<p>So I've been playing TEW for a couple years. I tend to play as MAW because I enjoy the challenge of taking over a company and trying to make it successful (yet to happen) and profitable but I have found that I dread booking the RCI Event in January. I have tried different formats to mix it up (Royal Rumble type, Ladder Match, etc.) but I always seem to go back to the tournament format. </p><p> </p><p>

My issue is that I never know how to book it. What methods or factors do you use to decide who to invite to it and how to decide who wins the whole thing?</p><p> </p><p>

Any help/advice/hints would be greatly appreciated.</p>

I tend to use my tournaments as a "next in line" type deal. Basically what I do is if I have an eight man tournament for example.

The opening round will mainly be 4 guys I feel as tho could become future stars. I put them in matches with lower card guys and see how well they do performance wise, and then what I do is take everyone's performance rating and put them into the bracket accordingly.

Ex. Mikey James has a performance in the opening round of 69. But Hollywood Brett Starr had a performance in his match of 53. I will book James vs. Starr with James going over because of better performance.

Note this only works if you have a weekly show, that way you can run the matches leading up to the PPV.

Now if it's a one night only. I usually take a midcard guy whom I've seen perform well that I haven't yet decided to push. Well tonight is the night they win. And what you do is pick someone and just stick with him. Have the person win the tournament and then continue to push them hard. Essentially like the early King of the Ring tournament where usually the guy who won had a rocket strapped to them and shot up the card.

Another suggestion is mix things up. Do an odd number of people that way your finals is a triple threat, or give each round a gimmick.

Like say opening round the matches are fought under no holds barred. Semi round is fought under Submission rules. And the finals are a steel cage, or maybe a 2 out of 3 falls.

Those are some suggestions. But the one I'd pay attention to most in finding someone on your hot prospects you like and getting behind them ten fold.

Never know they may be the reason you can finally achieve the success you are looking for.

<p>Remember that just because the tournament is the name of the show doesn't mean the tournament has to be held solely at the big show. Do a month long tournament with on the semi finals and finals at the show.</p><p> </p><p>

Tournament doesn't have to be single elimination either do a round robin tournament like the G1 with an A block and a B Block. Then at the big show have the winner of A bock meet the winner of B block. Or have four blocks and have the four winners of each block meet in a steel cage.</p>

My favorite RCI tournament format was a bit necessary due to roster bloat, but it was 6 Fatal Fourway matches, leading to 2 Triple Threat matches leading to a 1v1 Main Event. Doing it this way also helped minimize some guys who didn't want to lose matches as they could be excluded from the decision, which helps.

I tend to always buy out MAW when playing as a big company so I can book the RCI tournament. I usually have it as a 2 month B show on my network. I've done 16/32/68 man tournaments. The 68 man one I ran with SWF was my favorite by far. I brought in a lot of outside talent on PPAs and used the shows as try out matches for them. It featured I think 5-6 former winners and was won by Steven Parker, somewhat bringing his MAW career full circle. Had a lot off good storylines woven in with former tag partners facing off, guys like Ernest Youbgman and Logan Wolfsbaine making the quarterfinals. I do second the idea of bringing in other COTT guys, gives it a bigger feel.

<p>So long as Jay Chord wins, by hook, crook or web...</p><p> </p><p>

You could make it a storyline in-game that this year's tournament has an old-timer's feel to it with no-one under 30 (a big no-no in MAW) and most of the talent being SWF/TCW rejects who're trying to restart their careers. Then include a token undercard guy who somehow makes their way through the field, overcoming all the 'name' competitors to prove themselves the best young worker around.</p>

Archived