Wait, wait, wait... the AI has Minor Angles we don't see?

NB That's not entirely true. He's not in the angles that you see. The AI doesn't display all angles as otherwise their show reports would be full of "X does a quick interview" entries, so he may well be getting boosts off the "hidden" stuff.
As someone fascinated by what's going on "under the hood" of the AI in TEW 2016, I'd love some clarification on this.

Are these minor versions of existing AI angles? Skit, Confrontation, Brawl, Interview and Pre-Match Interview? Hype video? Are they freestyle angles? Approximately how many are there per show for an AI-run national sports-entertainment company like SWF or the WWF? And roughly how long do these minor angles last?

They don't actually have angles in that sense. At the end of an AI show there is code that simulates the effects of an angle on items like microphone skills and charisma for some of the roster, as if they'd been used in angles. This allows the roster to develop its related skills at something approaching the rate that a human promotion does, as obviously the AI can't spam angles and game the system the way a player can (at least not without producing huge, difficult to read show recaps). It also means indy workers aren't hamstrung by a lack of shows when it comes to developing their entertainment skills.

In effect, this means there are "hidden" angles, but only in the sense that there are angle-related effects, not that they actually take place or have themes or winners and losers.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44200" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>They don't actually have angles in that sense. At the end of an AI show there is code that simulates the effects of an angle on items like microphone skills and charisma for some of the roster, as if they'd been used in angles. This allows the roster to develop its related skills at something approaching the rate that a human promotion does, as obviously the AI can't spam angles and game the system the way a player can (at least not without producing huge, difficult to read show recaps). It also means indy workers aren't hamstrung by a lack of shows when it comes to developing their entertainment skills.<p> </p><p> In effect, this means there are "hidden" angles, but only in the sense that there are angle-related effects, not that they actually take place or have themes or winners and losers.</p></div></blockquote>Thanks for explaining this, Adam. Makes good sense and I'm happy indy workers don't rot on the vine.<p> </p><p> The way I play is actually quite similar to the AI. I don't like reading huge, difficult to read show recaps, and I don't like the idea of "taking advantage" of the AI by doing things it can't do. Consequently, I'm locked into certain patterns: with an "A" TV show for a National sports-entertainment company, that's five matches (with one or two pre-show matches), and no more than nine angles, which is the max for the AI.</p><p> </p><p> But to play by the AI's rules, I should also be running a certain number of minor angles, pumping up popularity and entertainment skills without creating the hard-to-read recap.</p><p> </p><p> This may be a difficult question to answer but if I wanted to approximate the AI's approximation of humans who spam angles, roughly how many minor angles would I need in a two hour show? You write that the AI uses this code for some of the roster -- which ones? All active workers? A random assortment of active workers each show? Commentators and managers but not road agents?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44200" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That would be very difficult to answer. Every active person on the roster is eligible for increases but the randomness means they don't all end up getting any. A random selection of quick interviews would likely come closest to approximating it.</div></blockquote>Cool, super helpful, as this will definitely effect how I play. <p> </p><p> Last questions about this (and then if you'd like to lock this thread, please go ahead):</p><p> </p><p> - By "quick interviews" do you mean four minutes? If I remember correctly, an angle has to be at least four minutes to result in a popularity or skill gain.</p><p> </p><p> - To best approximate the skill gains the AI enjoys, are you seeing these as solo interviews (i.e. promos) or interviews with a backstage interviewer who can pass on useful Microphone skills?</p><p> </p><p> - Along those lines, something I've always wondered about: When the AI does an Interview or Pre-match interview, there are no actual interviewers involved. Are you using "interview" to mean promo? Or are backstage interviewers so unimportant and so unable to benefit from the interview (Kevin Kelly, etc.) that they're presumed to be there even though we don't see them in the list of participants?</p>

<p>It's up to you how you want to do the interviews. I don't like using an interviewer because the interviewer's skill/pop affects the rating of the segment too much and the rating becomes too much of a 50/50 split between interviewer and interviewee instead of being primarily about the interviewee. Basically, the interviewer can steal the show and that would: be good based on game mechanics, but be bad in real shows</p><p> </p><p>

On the other hand, we've seen how badly interviewers can mess up a segment in real life, so interviewer skill DOES affect segments in real life. I just assume my interviewers can do their job and let the wrestler's skills (or lack thereof in some cases) shine through</p>

Archived