The Age of Heroes

Well let me start of saying mine and the McMahons vision of professional wrestling are different. They have seen failures of national expansion fail miserably to be precise. NWF and IWA was ran by Pedro Martinez and Johnny Powers, they had the television syndication, but they didn't have cable television which everyone is saying is a game changer. I have to agree with them on that because Georgia Championship Wrestling is broadcast all over the United States and many small independent outlaw promotions are being wiped out because of it.

For people reading this you may believe Roy Shire's crazed ideas that Junior is wanting to take over the world and crush every territory under his heel. No he is a man trying to save his Father's territory from destruction. Because as the new year of 1980 dawns on us Georgia becoming more powerful, and if it the McMahons and others don't fight back the territories will die by the onslaught of cable television and Georgia Championship Wrestling. That is why I was brought here to New York City the place were my great grandfather ruled pro wrestling in the early 20th century.

It's kind of strange bringing in the grandson of the man your Father and business partners shut out of the territory. Now, you bring me in to save the territory from death's doorstep. The other promoters around the country don't see the threat that Georgia poses. Their blinded by there own greed which will be their undoing as we sit and begin to build a empire the likes which the world has never seen. My name is John Hawkes and welcome to The Age of Heroes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>WWF Roster: (F)= Face (H)= Heel</strong></p><p><strong>

Roll Call of Champions:</strong></p><p><strong>

WWF Heavyweight Champion: Bob Backlund</strong></p><p><strong>

Reign: February 20th, 1978 680 Days</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

WWF Intercontinental Champion: Pat Patterson </strong></p><p><strong>

Reign: September 1st, 1979 122 Days </strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

WWF World Tag Team Champions: Ivan Putski and Tito Santana</strong></p><p><strong>

Reign: October 22, 1979 71 Days</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Main Event:</strong></p><p><strong>

Andre the Giant (F)</strong></p><p><strong>

Bob Backlund (F)</strong></p><p><strong>

Bruno Sammartino (F)</strong></p><p><strong>

Hussein Arab (Iron Sheik) (H) Managed by Freddie Blassie</strong></p><p><strong>

Ken Patera (H) Managed by Grand Wizard</strong></p><p><strong>

Pat Patterson (H) Managed by Grand Wizard</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Upper Midcard:</strong></p><p><strong>

Afa (H) Managed by Captain Lou Albano</strong></p><p><strong>

Bobby Duncum (H) Managed by Grand Wizard</strong></p><p><strong>

Dick Brower (H) Managed by Captain Lou Albano</strong></p><p><strong>

Dominic DeNucci (F)</strong></p><p><strong>

Gorilla Moonsoon (F)</strong></p><p><strong>

Larry Zbyszko (F)</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Midcard:</strong></p><p><strong>

Baron Mikel Scicluna (H)</strong></p><p><strong>

Hulk Hogan (H) Managed by Freddie Blassie</strong></p><p><strong>

Ivan Putski (F)</strong></p><p><strong>

Sika (H) Managed by Captain Lou Albano</strong></p><p><strong>

Swede Hanson (H)</strong></p><p><strong>

Tito Santana (F)</strong></p><p><strong>

Tony Altimore (H)</strong></p><p><strong>

Tony Atlas (F)</strong></p><p><strong>

Tor Kamata (H) Managed by Freddie Blassie</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Lower Midcard:</strong></p><p><strong>

Johhny DeFazio (F)</strong></p><p><strong>

Johnny Rodz (H)</strong></p><p><strong>

Jose Estrada (H)</strong></p><p><strong>

Larry Sharpe (H)</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Opener:</strong></p><p><strong>

Bill Coleman (H)</strong></p><p><strong>

Jim Duggan (H)</strong></p><p><strong>

Johnny Rivera (H)</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Enhancement Talent: </strong></p><p><strong>

Angelo Gomez (F)</strong></p><p><strong>

Ben Ortiz (F)</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Managers:</strong></p><p><strong>

Classy Freddie Blassie (H)</strong></p><p><strong>

Captain Lou Albano (H)</strong></p><p><strong>

The Grand Wizard (H)</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Announcer: </strong></p><p><strong>

Vince McMahon</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Road Agent:</strong></p><p><strong>

Vince McMahon, Sr.</strong></p><p><strong>

Arnold Skaaland</strong></p><p><strong>

Angelo Savoldi</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

This is as of Monday Week 1, January 1980</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Franchise Players:</strong></p><p><strong>

1.Andre the Giant</strong></p><p><strong>

2.Bruno Sammartino</strong></p><p><strong>

3.Pat Patterson</strong></p><p><strong>

4.Ken Patera</strong></p><p><strong>

5.Bob Backlund</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Next Big Things:</strong></p><p><strong>

1.Hulk Hogan</strong></p><p><strong>

2.Larry Zbyszko</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Hot Prospects:</strong></p><p><strong>

1.Hulk Hogan</strong></p><p><strong>

2.Tony Atlas</strong></p><p><strong>

3.Tito Santana</strong></p><p><strong>

4.Larry Sharpe</strong></p><p><strong>

5.Jim Duggan</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Talk the Talk</strong></p><p><strong>

1.Captain Lou Albano</strong></p><p><strong>

2.Gorilla Moonsoon</strong></p><p><strong>

3.Classy Fredddie Blassie</strong></p><p><strong>

4.The Grand Wizard</strong></p><p><strong>

5.Bruno Sammartino</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Show Stoppers:</strong></p><p><strong>

1. Andre the Giant</strong></p><p><strong>

2.Pat Patterson</strong></p><p><strong>

3.Bruno Sammartino</strong></p><p><strong>

4.Bob Backlund</strong></p><p><strong>

5.Larry Zybzsko</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Ring Generals:</strong></p><p><strong>

1.Pat Patterson</strong></p><p><strong>

2.Bob Backlund</strong></p><p><strong>

3.Bruno Sammartino</strong></p><p><strong>

4.Andre the Giant</strong></p><p><strong>

5.Johnny Rodz</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Time Decline:</strong></p><p><strong>

1.Tony Altimore</strong></p><p><strong>

2.Baron Mikel Scicluna</strong></p><p><strong>

3.Tor Kamata</strong></p><p><strong>

4.Swede Hanson</strong></p><p><strong>

5.Dominic DeNucci</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Hidden Gems:</strong></p><p><strong>

1.Eddie Gilbert</strong></p><p><strong>

2.Jerry Stubbs</strong></p><p><strong>

3.Sgt.Slaughter</strong></p><p><strong>

4.Jimmy Garvin</strong></p><p><strong>

5.Paul Ellering</strong></p><p><strong>

(Note through trail runs I have noticed Hidden Gems changes quite frequently.)</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong></p></div><p></p>

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>WWF Madison Square Garden Official Card for Monday Week 3, Jan 1980</strong></p><p><strong>

Dominic DeNucci vs. Hulk Hogan</strong></p><p><strong>

Hussein Arab vs. Larry Zbyszko</strong></p><p><strong>

Ivan Putski, Tito Santana and Gorilla Monsoon vs. Afa, Sika and Pat Patterson</strong></p><p><strong>

Bobby Duncum vs Tony Atlas</strong></p><p><strong>

WWF Heavyweight Title Match:</strong></p><p><strong>

Ken Patera vs. Bob Backlund</strong></p><p><strong>

Note: Predictions are welcomed</strong></p></div><p></p>

<p>When I gave Vince McMahon Senior the list of workers I wanted to sign he just gave me a look. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince Sr.:</strong> You sure you want to offer these guys contracts?</p><p>

</p><p><strong>

John Hawkes:</strong> Yes I think they could help us in the long run. About that Madison Square Garden card can I change it all?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince Sr.: </strong>The matches announced will happen I know this perfect idea of a job, because your starting from a clean slate. Though you can add matches to the card. I will let you do that at least. By the way there is a name missing from this list I heard you tried to sign?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>John Hawkes:</strong> (I smiled) So you heard I tried to sign The Sheik? He wanted $6,000 plus hiring veto control. I then offered 8,000 then decided better of it. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince Sr:</strong> Reason?</p><p>

</p><p><strong>

John Hawkes:</strong> We already have aging roster plus I am bringing in a slew of new people. An after the Garden I want to see how that goes and then focus our attention on setting up everything for the Shea Stadium show in August. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince Sr.:</strong> Right now you need to take everything one show at a time. Let me and Junior worry about Shea Stadium.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>John Hawkes:</strong> Alright Mister McMahon and thank you for trusting me enough with this job. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince Sr.: </strong>Well hopefully, you can sail this company through the troubled waters that are coming. If Junior is right Georgia and who ever can get a cable television contract will destroy the territories and put all of us out of business. Your here to help to stop that from happening the World Wrestling Federation cannot perish. We must of be the beacon of hope as this new decade dawns.</p>

WWF Madison Square Garden Official Card for Monday Week 3, Jan 1980

Dominic DeNucci vs. Hulk Hogan

Hussein Arab vs. Larry Zbyszko

Ivan Putski, Tito Santana and Gorilla Monsoon vs. Afa, Sika and Pat Patterson

Bobby Duncum vs Tony Atlas

WWF Heavyweight Title Match:

Ken Patera vs. Bob Backlund

Dominic was one of my father's favorites.

Ken Patera vs. Bob Backlund

DeNucci is on time decline, and making the assumption that Hogan is coming in with a bit of splash. Bearhug submission.

(Hussein wasn't quite at Iron Sheik awesomeness yet, and Zbsyzko being the plucky protege of Bruno probably has more upside at the moment)

(Putski eats the pin)

Ken Patera vs. Bob Backlund(I'll go with the standard WWF formula Patera wins by DQ)

<p>WWF Madison Square Garden Official Card for Monday Week 3, Jan 1980</p><p> </p><p>

Dominic DeNucci vs. <strong>Hulk Hogan</strong></p><p>

<strong>A lot of people didn’t even know Hogan was a heel in 80, and that was during his 83-87 title reign. Curious too see how you book him</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Hussein Arab</strong> vs. Larry Zbyszko</p><p>

<strong>Sheiky baby. Hard to imagine or in my case remember a babyfaces Larry Legend, but he’s still the student at this point</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ivan Putski, Tito Santana and Gorilla Monsoon</strong> vs. Afa, Sika and Pat Patterson</p><p>

<strong>Going with the faces here just to keep the fans happy</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Bobby Duncum vs <strong>Tony Atlas</strong></p><p>

<strong>Mr USA was getting a decent WWF push around this time</strong></p><p> </p><p>

WWF Heavyweight Title Match:</p><p>

<strong>Ken Patera</strong> vs. Bob Backlund</p><p>

<strong>Vince Sr booking always has the heel get a positive booking in match 1 of a championship series. So I’ll go with a count out</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Note: Predictions are welcomed</p>

<p>Hulk Hogan - <em>Thunderlips in the flesh, baby!</em></p><p>

Hussein Arab - <em>Can't see two "future stars" going over, so Arab takes this one.</em></p><p>

Ivan/Tito/Gorilla - <em>Ivan's Melody of Love will scare off the Samoans.</em></p><p>

Tony Atlas</p><p>

Bob Backlund - <em>A nice defense for good old Howdy Doody.</em></p>

<p>Dominic DeNucci vs. <strong>Hulk Hogan</strong></p><p>

Hussein Arab vs. <strong>Larry Zbyszko</strong></p><p>

<strong>Ivan Putski, Tito Santana and Gorilla Monsoon</strong> vs. Afa, Sika and Pat Patterson</p><p>

Bobby Duncum vs <strong>Tony Atlas</strong></p><p>

WWF Heavyweight Title Match:</p><p>

Ken Patera vs. <strong>Bob Backlund</strong></p>

<p><strong>WWF Championship Wrestling</strong></p><p><strong>

January Week 1, 1980</strong></p><p><strong>

Location: Carnesecca Arena, Queens, New York</strong></p><p><strong>

Announcers: Vince McMahon and Bruno Sammartino</strong></p><p><strong>

Show Grade:B-</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bruno Sammartino and Vince McMahon Opening Segment:</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bruno Sammartino:</strong>I like to address some rumors that have been floating around recently. I am officially retiring from this great sport and will be working as announcer from now on. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon</strong> Bruno I know you didn't come to this decision very lightly.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bruno Sammartino</strong> After with my wife and children I have decided it was the perfect time to hang up my boots. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong>I know for I am going miss watching you compete in that ring. I am glad your going to keep announcing alongside me. <strong>Grade: A*</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Hulk Hogan w/ Freddie Blassie vs Ben Ortiz</strong></p><p>

In a bout that didn't have much heat and terrible wrestling, Hulk Hogan defeated Ben Ortiz in 3:57 by submission with a Sleeperhold.<strong> Grade: E+</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Interview with Hulk Hogan and Freddie Blassie:</strong></p><p>

Blassie is telling Vince McMahon we have a new giant in the World Wrestling Federation and that man is the Incredible Hulk Hogan. Andre comes out and confronts Blassie and Hogan. Telling Hogan their is only one true giant in all of professional wrestling and their looking at him. Blassie starts tapping Andre on the chest telling him he better watch out. Because Hogan was going to run him strait out of professional wrestling. <strong>Grade: B+</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Larry Zbyszko vs Jim Duggan</strong></p><p>

In an extremely short match, Larry Zbyszko defeated Jim Duggan in 5:22 by submission with a Larry Land Dreamer. <strong>Grade C+</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Interview with Larry Zbyszko:</strong></p><p>

After a great showing by Zbyszko his mentor Bruno Sammartino walks up to him to conduct a interview, but Larry just looks at him and walks off. Leaving a very confused Bruno Sammartino to call out for him. Larry come on, Larry what is the problem? Vince McMahon comes into the camera view and tells us were going to a commercial. We can hear Bruno ask Vince if he knows what is Larry's problem. <strong>Grade:A</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong> Wild Samoans w/ Lou Albano vs Angelo Gomez and Tony Marino</strong></p><p>

In a decent match, Wild Samoans defeated Angelo Gomez and Tony Marino in 7:44 when Sika defeated Angelo Gomez by pinfall with a Samoan Drop. <strong>Grade:C</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Pat Patterson and The Grand Wizard Interview:</strong></p><p>

The Grand Wizard tell us and Pat Patterson because of some bad investments he is selling the contract of Pat Patterson to this man Captain Lou Albano who comes in looking like a slob. Patterson protests saying he signed with the Wizard and he will never work for a filthy slob like Albano and refuses to do any business with this disgusting waste of a man. <strong>Grade:A</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>WWF Intercontinental Title Match:</strong></p><p><strong>

Pat Patterson © vs Dominic DeNucci</strong></p><p>

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Pat Patterson defeated Dominic DeNucci in 19:41 by pinfall. Pat Patterson makes defence number 1 of his WWF Intercontinental title. Albano was at ring side to begin this match only Patterson refused to do the match if Albano stayed at ringside. Albano and Patterson argued about it, but cooler heads prevailed and Albano left ringside. <strong>Grade:B-</strong></p>

<p><strong>

WWF All-Star Wrestling</strong></p><p><strong>

January Week 1, 1980</strong></p><p><strong>

Location: Allentown Agricultural Hall</strong></p><p><strong>

Show Grade:B</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Freddie Blassie and Hulk Hogan Interview:</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong>Incredible Hulk Hogan on Championship Wrestling you came face to face with the Eighth Wonder of the World Andre the Giant. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Classy Freddie Blassie:</strong>Andre is a coward he will not step in the ring with my man the Incredible Hulk Hogan and in few short weeks Dominic DeNucci your going to the feel wrath of the Incredible Hulk.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Hulk Hogan </strong> It's my destiny it came from the stars in heaven. I am the man of the 1980's it doesn't matter if it's DeNucci or Andre I am the guiding light in professional wrestling. When Andre has the guts enough to step in the ring with me, he is going to meet his maker. <strong>Grade:A</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Hulk Hogan w/ Classy Freddie Blassie vs Eddie Gilbert </strong></p><p>

In a poor match, Hulk Hogan defeated Eddie Gilbert in 8:05 by pinfall with an Axe Bomber. <strong>Grade: D</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Captain Lou Albano Interview:</strong></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Vince McMahon:</strong>Captain Lou Albano and The Wild Samoans...</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Lou Albano: </strong>These men are hungey and they want Ivan Putski and Tito Santana in that ring. If them cowards are willing to face a real tag team that is. Because we all know they cannot match the agility and power and skill of Afa and Sika. <strong>Grade:B</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

WWF World Tag Team Titles Match:</strong></p><p><strong>

Ivan Putski & Tito Santana © vs Bill Coleman and Baron Mikel Scicluna</strong></p><p>

In a decent match, Putski & Santana defeated Bill Coleman and Baron Mikel Scicluna in 7:36 when Tito Santana defeated Bill Coleman by submission with a Figure-Four Leglock. Putski & Santana make defence number 1 of their WWF World Tag Team titles. <strong>Grade:C</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Ken Patera and The Grand Wizard Interview:</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Grand Wizard: </strong>Take a good look because come Madison Square Garden your looking at the next WWF Champion.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ken Patera:</strong> </p><p>

Backlund you were lucky and defeated the Superstar. We all know your terrified of stepping in the ring with me because I am the World Strongest Man. I am going to break you and take what should rightfully been mine all along. <strong>Grade: A</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ken Patera w/ The Grand Wizard vs Johnny DeFazio </strong></p><p>

In a good match, Ken Patera defeated Johnny DeFazio in 7:31 by submission with a Patera Hug. <strong>Grade: C+</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Dick Brower w/ Captain Lou Albano vs Larry Zbyszko</strong></p><p>

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Larry Zbyszko defeated Dick Brower in 12:27 by submission with a Larry Land Dreamer. <strong>Grade: B-</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Larry Zbyszko Interview:</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bruno Sammartino:</strong>Larry another great match out their your looking fantastic.</p><p> </p><p>

<em><strong>Larry Zbyszko just totally ignores Bruno and walks away from ringside. </strong></em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bruno Sammartino:</strong> Vince I don't know what has gotten in to him.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong> Well Bruno next time he is scheduled for a interview I will conduct it. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. <strong>Grade: A*</strong></p>

Monday Week 2, January 1980

Vince McMahon Senior Office

Vince McMahon Senior:What was the problem with Rivera and Hussein?

John Hawkes: They had a fight in the back because Rivera was running his mouth about Iran. Hussein shut his mouth.

Vince McMahon Senior: You fined Rivera? Hussein is upset saying it was weak.

John Hawkes: Yes sir. I think I did the right thing I am not going to fire the guy in his first offence.

Vince McMahon Senior: Alright, next time he is fired. On to my biggest issue Hulk Hogan.

John Hawkes: Why is Hogan a issue?

Vince McMahon Senior: He made it sound like he was going to be the next Backlund, Morales,or even Bruno. I don't want him saying things like that. He needs to know his place and that is he does what we tell him. Just like the Superstar I don't see any money in him as a babyface.

John Hawkes: I think we can make money with him as a babyface granted he needs to learn to work better.

Vince McMahon Senior: He is as green as fresh grass on the first day of spring. I want him and Andre to have a match on Championship Wrestling.

John Hawkes: No we have the Garden next Monday night. I am going to put Hogan and Hussein together to face Dominic and Larry on Championship Wrestling. Give the fans a taste what is in store for them next week.

Vince stares at me intently. He is a man rarely that anyone says no too. If I am going to be the one driving the company for next year or two I needed to take a stand.

Vince McMahon Senior:Alright, that's fine.

Vince McMahon Senior: He made it sound like he was going to be the next Backlund, Morales,or even Bruno. I don't want him saying things like that. He needs to know his place and that is he does what we tell him. Just like the Superstar, I don't see any money in him as a babyface.

*Cough* Why WWF was in such dire straits when Sr. handed the company to VKM in real life. Basically, he lucked into Bruno and rode him for as long as he could and then showed that he couldn't think outside of his little box (so just like pretty much every other promoter VKM put out of business). Going with Backlund over Superstar was a horrible decision, so I can see Vince Sr. not seeing Hulk as a superstar 100%.

*Cough* Why WWF was in such dire straits when Sr. handed the company to VKM in real life. Basically, he lucked into Bruno and rode him for as long as he could and then showed that he couldn't think outside of his little box (so just like pretty much every other promoter VKM put out of business). Going with Backlund over Superstar was a horrible decision, so I can see Vince Sr. not seeing Hulk as a superstar 100%.

Yep horrible decision to have the biggest draw in wrestling as your Champion. Bob Backlund was the biggest draw in wrestling from 1979 to 1983. Also in 1982 he broke Buddy Rogers record having the biggest gates in a single year. Superstar Billy Graham was breaking down by 1981 by the latest 1982.

Thank you to everyone that has predicted so far. Madison Square Garden show will be up Saturday night about this time. Finishing up on the next episode of WWF Championship Wrestling which should be up no later than 9 PM tonight. Then I will post do All-Star Wrestling.

By the way I left the Madison Square Garden as is so that is the card in entirety. Thank you guys for your predictions and if anymore want to predict you got 24 hours.

Yep horrible decision to have the biggest draw in wrestling as your Champion. Bob Backlund was the biggest draw in wrestling from 1979 to 1983. Also in 1982 he broke Buddy Rogers record having the biggest gates in a single year. Superstar Billy Graham was breaking down by 1981 by the latest 1982.

I have never gotten the hate for Backlund, those MSG crowds went nuts for his matches and for him. As pure a babyface as they come next to Steamboat. I never found his matches boring. His promos were what they should be given the time period and who he was. Evil Backlund in the 90s showed he could crazy and cut some wicked promos.

As for Superstar Graham he was a huge draw as champion my only wish is he would have gotten a face run as champion for a bit then drop the title to some heel and then let Backlund take the ball and run, it's not like transitional champions wasn't part and parcel for the WWWF(Volkoff,Steele or Patera for a short run)

Anyways looking forward to your first MSG card:D

WWF Championship Wrestling

Announcers: Vince McMahon and Bruno Sammartino

Grade: B

Bob Backlund Interview:

Bruno Sammartino: Fans welcome to WWF Championship Wrestling and I have the World Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund with me. Bob welcome, Next Monday you will be defending your title against a man we both have been in the ring against the World's Strongest Man Ken Patera at Madison Square Garden. Are you ready to face this challenge?

Bob Backlund: As you know Bruno, Patera is a Olympic athelete who has had success in everything he has done. He claims he could of beaten Graham if he had been given a title shot. He claims I have been lucky keeping this title and now he is 100% focus taking this title from me. Every man that walks in the ring to face me have been confidant on that day, they would be the champion. Only to fail time and again from taking the WWWF Ghampionship from me. Grade:A

Tony Atlas vs Terry Taylor

In a poor match, Tony Atlas defeated Terry Taylor in 7:36 by pinfall with The Press Slam. Grade D

Pat Patterson and Wild Samoans with Captain Lou Albano Promo:

Pat Patterson walks out by himself.

Vince McMahon: Last week it seemed you were very upset having your contract sold to Captain Lou Albano and now you don't come out here with him for this interview?

Pat Patterson: I don't want anything to do with the filthy ignorant slob calling himself Captain. Only reason I am teaming with the Wild Samoans here tonight and at Madison Square Garden is because I am contractually obligated to do it.

Captain Lou Albano walks out looking and sounding upset with the Samoans.

Captain Lou Albano: I told you to wait. I don't care if your a big name keep this up and I will sign you to a bunch of preliminary matches where you will be making nothing.

Pat Patterson:You do that and you better remember 10% of nothing is nothing.

Captain Lou Albano starts stammering incoherently.

Vince McMahon:Fans we have to go to commercial. When we comeback it's going to be Pat Patterson and The Wild Samoans in six man tag team match. Grade:A

Barry Windham, Eddie Gilbert and Curt Hennig vs. Pat Patterson and Wild Samoans w/ Lou Albano

In a decent match, Pat Patterson and Wild Samoans defeated Barry Windham, Eddie Gilbert and Curt Hennig in 10:18 when Pat Patterson defeated Barry Windham by submission with a Sleeperhold. Grade: B-

Larry Zbyskzo and Dominic DeNucci Interview:

Vince McMahon: Larry, on my mind since last week and everyone else's mind why I have you refused to be interviewed by your mentor Bruno Sammartino?

Larry Zbyskzo: Ever since I was little a boy growing up in Pittsburgh I idolized "The Living Legend" Bruno Sammartino. He caught me one day watching him work out, and from that day forward he trained me into becoming a professional wrestler. No matter what city I am in when I walk down the street. People yell out to me "Hey Little Bruno". I always hold my head up high because I know a man who is respected by everyone in this world is my teacher, my friend, and my brother.

There is a reason they call you "The Living Legend" and thats because no matter where in the world you go the name Bruno Sammartino is known. I was listening to you telling everyone that you were retiring and then hit me. Unless I step in that ring against you. I will never be out from the shadow my teacher Bruno Sammartino. So I challenge you next week right here on Championship Wrestling to a match.

Bruno Sammartino walks up and hugs Larry.

Bruno Sammartino: Larry I can't face you in the ring your like my brother. I couldn't bare hurting you in that ring. So my answer is no I can't and will not face you. I am sorry. I truly am Larry.

Larry Zbyskzo looks at Bruno sighs and walks off. Seeming to get more angrier with each step he takes away from his mentor.

Grade:A

Hulk Hogan and Hussein Arab w/ Freddie Blassie vs Dominic DeNucci and Larry Zbyszko

In a bout that had fantastic heat and good wrestling, Dominic DeNucci and Larry Zbyszko defeated Hulk Hogan and Hussein Arab in 20:22 when Larry Zbyszko defeated Hulk Hogan by pinfall with a Swinging Neckbreaker. Grade:B-

I have never gotten the hate for Backlund, those MSG crowds went nuts for his matches and for him. As pure a babyface as they come next to Steamboat. I never found his matches boring. His promos were what they should be given the time period and who he was. Evil Backlund in the 90s showed he could crazy and cut some wicked promos.

As for Superstar Graham he was a huge draw as champion my only wish is he would have gotten a face run as champion for a bit then drop the title to some heel and then let Backlund take the ball and run, it's not like transitional champions wasn't part and parcel for the WWWF(Volkoff,Steele or Patera for a short run)

Anyways looking forward to your first MSG card:D

When I started the 1983 mod that's when I starting learning about Backlund. Because at first I was like everyone else who just listened to people who were there and may or may not had axe to grind. Because they thought they should of been pushed over him.

Then I started work on the 80 mod and started watching his work with Muraco on Youtube and I read his book. He was over where ever he went and was in discussion to be NWA World Champion, before he became WWF Champion. An in my next post as John Hawkes I will explain the real reason Superstar Billy Graham never received that Face push as WWF Champion.

Navy Alumni Hall Lockerroom

The show has been over for the last hour. i think it was a good solid show.

Bruno Sammartino: Good show. Though I don't know why Tony seemed off his game tonight. I heard you and Senior had a little talk?

John Hawkes: Yea,he didn't like Hogan's promo on All-Star where he said he was the star of the 80's.

Bruno Sammartino:(Bruno laughs) Vince just doesn't what another me, or even Dusty Rhodes. Once you get to big for the territories. Well then you can call your own shots. An the promoter really can't do anything about it. That is why Billy was never changed to a babyface. Vince was too scared he was going to end up like Dusty in Florida.

John Hawkes: I heard stories Dusty can now do pretty much whatever he likes down there.

Bruno Sammartino: He can that's why Eddie keeps sending Dusty all over the place. So he can get some people over.

<p><strong>

WWF All-Star Wrestling</strong></p><p><strong>

Location: Show Palace Arena, Upper Marlboro, Maryland</strong></p><p><strong>

Grade: B-</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ken Patera and The Grand Wizard Promo:</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong> This Monday night at Madison Square Garden your man Ken Patera will be face the World Wrestling Federation Champion Bob Backlund.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Grand Wizard:</strong> Bob Backlund you have been a thorn in my side for too long and come Monday night this man right is going to show you and the world why he is the World's Strongest Man. Because he is going to squeeze the life out of you and become WWF Champion. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ken Patera:</strong> Backlund you are not going to escape Madison Square with your title, because I am going to become the man who ends your reign on Monday Night.<strong> Grade:A</strong></p><p>

</p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Angelo Gomez vs Ken Patera w/ The Grand Wizard</strong></p><p>

In a decent match, Ken Patera defeated Angelo Gomez in 5:59 by pinfall with a Swinging Neckbreaker. <strong>Grade:C</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bulldog Brower and Captain Lou Albano Promo:Grade B+</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong> It seems to anyone paying attention Lou Albano you are having problems with one of your charges Pat Patterson. </p><p> </p><p>

<em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Bulldog Brower makes strange and terrifying faces into the camera. </span></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Captain Lou Albano:</strong> This man right here could be the man to dethrone Bob Backlund given the chance. That coward and snobby french man doesn't learn soon to keep his mouth shut. Well he may have to learn the hard way not to cross the Captain. This Italian punk DeFonzarelli is going to learn real fast you don't step in the ring with Bulldog Brower when the Captain is in bad mood. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong> It's Johnny DeFazio. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Captain Lou Albano:</strong> What? Who? Doesn't matter it should be chopped liver because that's what he is going to look like after Bulldog gets done with him. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong> Fans after this commericial we will be right back with Bulldog Brower versus Johnny DeFonzarelli.. I mean DeFazio. <strong>Grade:B+</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Dick Brower W/ Lou Albano vs Johnny DeFazio</strong></p><p>

In a decent match, Dick Brower defeated Johnny DeFazio in 6:29 by submission with a Boston Crab. <strong>Grade: C+</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bobby Duncum and The Grand Wizard Promo:</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong> This Monday night Bobby Duncum you face Mr.USA Tony Atlas. </p><p>

Bobby Duncum:</strong> I have proven I can take Bob Backlund to the limit and come the Garden Atlas your bags better be packed because I am running you out of this territory. <strong>Grade: C+</strong></p><p>

Tommy Seigler vs Bobby Duncum w/ The Grand Wizard</strong></p><p>

Bobby Duncum defeated Tommy Seigler in 5:58 by pinfall with a Backbreaker.<strong> Grade: B-</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Tito Santana & Ivan Putski © vs Tor Kamata and Baron Mikel Scicluna</strong> </p><p>

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Putski & Santana defeated Tor Kamata and Baron Mikel Scicluna in 15:07 when Tito Santana defeated Baron Mikel Scicluna by submission with a Figure-Four Leglock. Putski & Santana make defence number 3 of their WWF World Tag Team titles. <strong>Grade:C</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Captain Lou Albano comes into the ring and starts yelling and screaming at the Tag Team Champions. This makes them not to notice that Afa and Sika come in the ring behind them and begin to savagely beat the champions down to the mat. Gorilla Monsoon clears the ring when comes to Tito Santana and Ivan Putski's aide with steel chair in hand. </span></em></p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Vince McMahon:</strong> What condition will the champions be in at Madison Square Garden this Monday night? Grade:B</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lod619" data-cite="lod619" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44521" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> Evil Backlund in the 90s showed he could crazy and cut some wicked promos.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I loved how they setup his heel run in the 90s. It was such a nice call back having him go crazy because Arnold threw in the towel for him and thus cost him his title and began his descent in madness.</p>

You mean the guy that got to wrestle at 3 of the biggest arenas and biggest wrestling markets (NYC, Boston, and Philly) every month was the biggest draw in wrestling? Wow, you don't say. I would have picked the title holder in WWA or Amarillo. And if everything was so hunky-dory, then why did Sr. have to rush an injured Bruno back for the Shea Stadium show? The guy is a literal footnote in history and nowhere near the top 50 list of biggest wrestlers of the 80's. And Superstar was completely broken by getting shafted by Vince Sr. That's largely why he fell apart by 82.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="smartman" data-cite="smartman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44521" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You mean the guy that got to wrestle at 3 of the biggest arenas and biggest wrestling markets (NYC, Boston, and Philly) every month was the biggest draw in wrestling? Wow, you don't say. I would have picked the title holder in WWA or Amarillo. And if everything was so hunky-dory, then why did Sr. have to rush an injured Bruno back for the Shea Stadium show? The guy is a literal footnote in history and nowhere near the top 50 list of biggest wrestlers of the 80's. And Superstar was completely broken by getting shafted by Vince Sr. That's largely why he fell apart by 82.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If it upsets you so much that Bob Backlund is the WWF Champion in this diary then don't bother to read it.</p>

<p><strong>WWF Madison Square Garden Monthly Show</strong></p><p><strong>

Monday,Week 3 January 1980</strong></p><p><strong>

Attendance: 11,763</strong></p><p><strong>

Grade: B+</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Andre the Giant Promo:</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong> I would like to bring out the Eighth Wonder of the World the one true giant in all of professional wrestling Andre the Giant.</p><p> </p><p>

<em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Andre comes down to the ring and the fans are cheering the Giant. </span></em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong> Tonight, a man who claims that he is going to show the world that he is the true giant in the World Wrestling Federation Hulk Hogan will be facing Dominic DeNucci. How do you think Dominic will fare?</p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Andre the Giant:</strong> I think Hogan is going to learn that...</p><p> </p><p>

A man walks down the aisle with blonde hair and a little pudgy body frame. Gets into the ring and grabs the microphone from McMahon. Andre doesn't look to happy to see him and Vince is trying to figure out who he is. </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Andre the Giant:</strong> GET OUT!!!</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong> Who are you sir?</p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bobby Heenan:</strong> What kind a announcer are you? Not knowing the greatest manager in all of professional wrestling. My name is Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and I am here to offer this seven foot four inch and five hundred pound man the greatest opportunity of his life time. To be the first member of the Heenan Family. I promise you you will be the World Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Champion of the World by the end of this year. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Vince McMahon:</strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;"> (Puts the microphone in Andre's Face)</span></em> Andre what do you say to that?</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Andre the Giant:</strong> NOOOO!!!<em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">(The fans erupt in cheers</span></em></p><p><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">

Andre takes a few steps towards Heenan who flies between the middle rope to escape Andre.)</span></em><strong> Grade A</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bobby Duncum w/ The Grand Wizard vs Tony Atlas</strong></p><p>

Tony Atlas gave a great showing and if it wasn't for some timely distraction by The Grand Wizard we may of seen a different outcome. In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Bobby Duncum defeated Tony Atlas in 14:45 by submission with a Sleeper Hold. <strong>Grade: B-</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Gorilla Monsoon and Ivan Putski & Tito Santana vs Pat Patterson and Wild Samoans w/ Lou Albano</strong></p><p>

The tension between Albano and Patterson played a major factor in this match as Samoans and Patterson take the early advantage. Only to have a miscue as Patterson and Albano began arguing with each other on the outside. Afa tried to pull the two men down. This left Sika alone and isolated in the ring. Gorilla Monsoon after hitting a big body splash pinned Sika in 18:29. <strong>Grade: B-</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Pat was in the ring and Albano was screaming it was his fault that Sika was pinned. Afa and Sika circled around Patterson as Albano was screaming at him. Then once again Bobby Heenan came out to the ring and entered the ring. Bobby Heenan took the microphone and shook Captain Lou Albano's hand. </span></em></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bobby Heenan:</strong> Before this turns real ugly. I like to offer a deal to you Pat Patterson and to you Captain Albano. An that is simple I will pay you handsomely for the contract of one Pat Patterson. Would that be alright with you Pat that I buy your contract? </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Pat Patterson: </strong>I would work for you Bobby. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Captain Lou Albano:</strong> Give me a few days and I will think about it.<em><span style="text-decoration:underline;"> ( Albano signals for the Samoans to leave the ring.)</span></em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong> Bobby Heenan may of just saved Pat Patterson's life. <strong>Grade:A</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Hussein Arab w/ Freddie Blassie vs Larry Zbyszko</strong></p><p>

It was more than few times in this match it seemed Bruno was going to leave the announcers' table to aide his protege in the ring. Bruno put over the fact that Larry was like a little brother to him and could never live with himself if he injured Zbyszko. Vince says he understands, but Larry may need to prove that he is as good as Bruno. That Bruno must understand he does casts a larger than life shadow not only over the WWF, but over all of professional wrestling. In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Larry Zbyszko defeated Hussein Arab in 33:15 by submission with a Larry Land Dreamer. <strong>Grade: B</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Dominic DeNucci vs Hulk Hogan w/ Freddie Blassie</strong></p><p>

The Incredibe Hulk started this match looking strong as he dominated the early portions of this match. Though Dominic turned the tide after Hogan whipped him into the corner and Hogan came charging into the corner looking to hit a devasting lariat. Dominic moved and Hogan smashed into the corner, this gave Dominic the chance to take the lead in the match. Hogan tried to gain control of the match, but he just couldn't do it. n a bout that had great heat and decent wrestling, Dominic DeNucci defeated Hulk Hogan in 10:30 when Hulk Hogan intentionally got disqualified when Hogan getting frustrated and took Blassie's cane and repeatedly beat DeNucci over the head and back. <strong> Grade:C</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

WWF Heavyweight Title Match:</strong></p><p><strong>

Ken Patera w/ The Grand Wizard vs Bob Backlund©</strong></p><p>

When Bob Backlund came from the dressing room the crowd erupted. As Backlund and Patera battled through this match we saw holds and counter holds with Backlund coming out on top of that. Then Patera took the lead with a more brawling style that lead to few close pinfalls for the challenger. The finish of the match came as both men began brawling on the outside of the ring. Bob Backlund defeated Ken Patera in 44:06 when Ken Patera getting frustrated left ringside and was counted out. <strong>Grade: B </strong></p><p> </p><p>

<em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">The Grand Wizard talked Patera into coming back out to the ring, but it was too late. He already lost the match by countout. Patera viciously attacks Backlund from behind and picks up the title. As he waits for Back lund to get to his feet and swings to hit Backlund only he misses. Backlund and Patera are swinging wildly as staff is trying to break these two men apart. </span></em></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Vince McMahon:</strong> Backlund may of won this match, but I think the war between these two men have only just begun. <strong>Grade A*</strong></p>

<p><strong>WWF Championship Wrestling</strong></p><p><strong>

Location: Central Maine Civic Center, Lewiston, Maine</strong></p><p><strong>

Grade:B</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Chavo Guerrero vs Jim Duggan</strong></p><p>

In a bout that had decent wrestling but didn't have much heat, Chavo Guerrero defeated Jim Duggan in 10:09 by pinfall with a German Suplex. <strong>Grade:C-</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bobby Heenan introduces his first client:</strong></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Vince McMahon:</strong> I like to bring out the newest manager in the World Wrestling Federation Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bobby Heenan:</strong> Andre you made a mistake not signing with me. Now I have went out and gotten the hottest rising star in the world I give you the Incredible Hulk Hogan. </p><p> </p><p>

<em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">(Incredible Hulk walks out and the fans begin booing him.)</span></em></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bobby Heenan:</strong> Listen to me right now McMahon this man is going to be a force in this business for a very long time. A with me guiding his career your going to see this man becoming one day World Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Champion of the World. First the Incredible Hulk is going to end the career of one Andre the Giant. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vince McMahon:</strong> What about the contract of Pat Patterson?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bobby Heenan: </strong>The Captain hasn't gotten back with me yet about the contract of Mister Patterson.</p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Grade: A</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Ivan Putski & Tito Santana © vs The Wild Samoans w/ Captain Lou Albano</strong></p><p>

In a bout that had superb wrestling and great heat, Wild Samoans defeated Putski & Santana in 7:52 when Afa defeated Ivan Putski by pinfall with a Samoan Drop. Wild Samoans win the WWF World Tag Team titles. <strong>Grade: B</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Larry Zbyszko Interview:</strong></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bruno Sammartino:</strong> Larry tonight you challenge Pat Patterson for the Intercontinental Title. Your thoughts on Pat Patterson. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Larry Zbyszko:</strong> Bruno I no you said no last week, but will face me in a match. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bruno Sammartino:</strong> Larry.. I can't do it Larry. I will not face you in that ring. </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Larry Zbyszko:</strong> Then after tonight no matter win or lose. I am going to retire, because unless I face you I will never be able to get out from the under the shadow of Bruno Sammartino. </p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bruno Sammartino:</strong> Larry you need to think this through. </p><p> </p><p>

Larry Zbyszko: I have if I can't face you in that ring then I am retired after tonight. <strong>Grade:A</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><strong><strong>

WWF Intercontinental Title Match:</strong></strong></p><p><strong><strong>

Pat Patterson ©w/ Lou Albano vs Larry Zbyszko</strong></strong></p><p>

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Larry Zbyszko defeated Pat Patterson in 11:49 by pinfall after Lou Albano clubbered Pat Patterson with a pair of brass knuckles. Larry Zbyszko wins the WWF Intercontinental title. <strong>Grade: B</strong></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Samoans Destroy Patterson:</strong></p><p>

<em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Patterson recovers and grabs Albano by his hawaiin shirt when out of nowhere come the Samoans who lay waste to Patterson leaving him a bloody mess in the ring. </span></em></p><p><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">

</span></em></p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Captain Lou Albano:</strong> I don't care how much Heenan was going to pay me for your contract. Because watching you lay on that mat a bloody mess is worth all the money I paid for your contract. </p><p>

<em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">(Captain Lou and Samoans leave the ring area. Patterson who is being held up by officials ask for the microphone.)</span></em></p><p>

</p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Pat Patterson:</strong> ALBANOOOO!!!!ALBANOOO!!! I AM GOING TO MAKE YOU PAY!!!!! WITH YOUR BLOOD!!!!!!!!!! <strong>Grade: A</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Sgt. Slaughter w/ The Grand Wizard vs Barry Windham</strong></p><p>

In a decent match, Sgt. Slaughter defeated Barry Windham in 8:53 by submission with a Cobra Clutch. <strong>Grade:C</strong></p>

Archived