[CVerse] UEW: The rise of Euroresu

hCmYgrQ.jpg

UEW No Remorse

Date: November 2016

Venue: Caen Concert Hall (France, Europe)

Attendance: 292

nYhxOYi.jpgoKXue9S.jpgAGpnLi5.jpgvsbT0RAG5.jpgy7i27dc.jpgLcSufhc.jpg

Team Italy (Marcello Ricci, Giancarlo Giabroni & Alessandro Giordano) vs Team Germany (The German Machine & Clubber Kohl)

• The opening three on three match further emphasized the ongoing story between Italian and German members of the UEW Roster. It was also a lot about Giordano's debut and Kohl trying to keep him from jumping the line.
  • Starting the match for his team, Giordano brought some much needed power and brutality to the Italian side, emphasized by both his improving Rumble skills and a Raging Bull gimmick he's getting better at while also getting a good response for the fans.
  • That's not to say that Giordano wasn't also extremely green and it showed, with the Germans quickly taking advantage of his inexperience to cut the ring in half and do some damage.
  • The Italian Stallions rushed to the rescue but there was little they could do against their opponent's efficiency.
  • Ricci found himself on the receiving end of a big triple team move, a spot that also gave him a chance to showcase his improving Performance skills.
  • In the chaos, Giordano was left groggy on the corner, something Kohl noticed before delivering the Hamburg Express to score the pin.

Result: Team Germany win via pinfall

Grade: E+

Hzu41yk.jpg

WkiiMof.jpg4VjdQmw.jpgvsDTAxGxv.jpge9YUYUp.jpg

Kalu Owusu & Punisher Paul Hughes vs Mighty Menace (with Fink Finkleton)

• Between the monster team's pace and their opponents trying to figure out a way to take them down, the match was understandably off to a slow start.
  • Kalu Owusu was off his game and painfully so too, making him the weakest link in the match and leaving his partner to carry their side of the bout.
  • On the other end, Thor's limited capabilities were obscured by his great chemistry with Menace as well as the UEW World champion's link with the team's manager, Fink Finkleton.
  • Mighty Menace may not have been tagging for long, but neither have their opponents, so with power, size and chemistry on their side, they were able to take advantage of Owusu's weaknesses and pin him after Menace floored him with the Ultimate Rejection.

Result: Mighty Menace win via pinfall

Grade: D-

Hzu41yk.jpg

q3GnprG.jpg

UEW Nations title match

dUr8XzG.jpgvst7h1jMc.jpg

Irwin Gutmann vs Don Henderson

• With both men given creative freedom to call the match in the ring, the main event had the vibe of a legitimate athletic competition. Sadly, between that and the bout's slow build approach, Gutmann's lack of creativity and psychology showed, hurting his usually stellar in-ring performance.
  • A true ring general, Henderson kept the match together and on several cases took the initiative to keep momentum flowing and prevent the bout from stalling.
  • Both men are renowned for their mat and submission skills but still peppered their offense with strikes and suplexes, adding variety to the match instead of making it a downright technical masterclass.
  • Henderson applied the Scottish Deathlock on more than one occasions, but somehow Gutmann always found a way to save himself, be it a rope break, a reversal or an escape.
  • Likewise, Gutmann went several times for the Tiger Sleeper but never got it properly locked in until past the twenty minute mark, forcing an exhausted Henderson to tap out.

Result: Irwin Gutmann retains via submission

Grade: D

Show grade: D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hCmYgrQ.jpg

Match card for UEW Determination 2016

UEW World title match: Menace © vs Konrad Mäkinen

UEW Tag team titles match: The German Machine © vs Andriy Boronin & Gordon Leve

Garion LaChance vs Gavin Owen vs Lenny Mochin

Team Italy (Marcello Ricci, Giancarlo Giabroni & Alessandro Giordano) vs Merle O'Curle, Irwin Gutmann & Clubber Kohl

Highlights from the press conference to promote the show

DTAxGxv.jpgSbYOV10.jpg

The highlight of the press conference was, of course, the highly anticipated UEW World title main event between Menace and everybody's favorite Swedish youngster, Konrad Mäkinen. Asked about his recent contract with rival Victory Wrestling Association, Mäkinen smartly downplayed the issue and instead brought up the big challenge he's facing at just 25 years of age, saying he's confident he can be the one to beat the towering champion.

NNIIGh4.jpg3K28aua.jpg

Sporting a rather Toned physique during the event, Ukranian sensation Andriy Boronin joined his scheduled tag team partner as they pointed out they are more than just a random pairing. With Boronin challenging for the UEW Nations title in less than a year with the promotion and Leve picking up a big victory over veteran Garion LaChance, the duo insisted they earned their tag title shot and said they will prove doubters wrong inside the ring.

Comment: I feel like Konrad is definitely the man to take the title from Menace, but I get the feeling you wont go with that just yet.

Comment: I think this is another win for The German Machine, but Boronin and Leve could always have a future.

Team Italy (Marcello Ricci, Giancarlo Giabroni & Alessandro Giordano) vs Merle O'Curle, Irwin Gutmann & Clubber Kohl

Sorry for missing the last couple predictions. Good shows as usual though.

Might be jumping the gun, but Mäkinen is going to be champion at some point and I don't see why it can't be here.

Boronin & Leve could be a good team, but The German Machine have the experience edge here.

LaChance is the most established of the three, but I just don't see any real upside in him.

I'm probably going to regret betting against Merle & Irwin, but I think this could be a big upset victory for the Italians and perhaps set up some challengers for Irwin's title.

• 1 month later...

hCmYgrQ.jpg

UEW Determination

Date: December 2016

Venue: Pireas Sports Hall (Greece, South East Europe)

Attendance: 298

nYhxOYi.jpgoKXue9S.jpgAGpnLi5.jpgvsvFfJeCn.jpgdUr8XzG.jpgLcSufhc.jpg

• The opening match was heavily focused on telling the story of the three Italian wrestlers coming together as a team. Their opponents weren't as cohesive, but still very dangerous, making for a strong start to the show.
  • The greenest man in the ring, Giordano caved under pressure and his performance was really off, leaving his two teammates to pick up the slack, but fortunately this was easier to do in a multi man match.
  • On the opposite side, Kohler brought the strength and strikes to his teammates' technical skills, with Merle O'Curle using experience to make up for his failing physical skills.
  • Gutmann was clearly man of the match, but his overconfidence came back to haunt him when it exposed him to a surprise counterattack from Marcello Ricci, leading to the Milanese Elbow and a big upset victory for the Italian underdog. By pinning the champion, he is now entitled to a shot for UEW Nations gold.

Result: Team Italy win via pinfall

Hzu41yk.jpg

Bo1FMFi.jpgvsDovYVFV.jpgvsO4sbTBj.jpg

Garrion LaChance vs Gavin Owen vs Lenny Mochin

• Despite not being particularly established in the company rankings, the three men were given roughly 15 minutes for their match.
  • Rookie Gavin Owen delivered the best performance of the three between the ropes, even though he's still in his first year as a pro. Thanks to his Judo background and martial arts striking training, his style really raised him in the eyes of the UEW audience.
  • Lenny Mochin is no veteran either, but he showed he's got a bright future ahead of him by putting up a great match and showing significant improvement in his Performance skills.
  • Garrion LaChance was the one who walked away with the victory thanks to his Charging Butt-Butt, a finisher from his earlier days as Minion. Owen took the fall, but after such a stellar performance it didn't hurt him as much as it could have.

Result: Garrion LaChance wins via pinfall

Hzu41yk.jpg

4fdr3B0.jpg4fdr3B0.jpg

UEW Tag Team titles match

bT0RAG5.jpgy7i27dc.jpgvsNNIIGh4.jpg3K28aua.jpg

The German Machine vs Andriy Boronin & Gordon Leve

• A very oldschool, hard hitting match that delighted UEW fans, this one saw a lot of technical wrestling, both on the mat and involving standing submission holds and suplexes.
  • Lars Brecher was having a really bad night, but his overall skill and experience teaming with Ralph Grimm were good enough to make up for it and not hurt the match beyond a certain point.
  • It was this experience and communication that ultimately led the German Machine to another victory as Brecher forced Leve to tap out to the Brecher Stretch.

Result: The German Machine retain via submission

Hzu41yk.jpg

YHyeWr7.jpg

UEW World title

DTAxGxv.jpgvsSbYOV10.jpg

Menace (with Fink Finkleton) vs Konrad Mäkinen

• A year in the making, this match was off to a slow start that allowed tension to build and the two wrestlers to showcase their characters as the announcing duo recapped the history between them and everything that led to the final main event of 2016.
  • Fink Finkleton was on the champion's corner, the chemistry between client and manager elevating the match on top of Finkleton's excellent ringside work.
  • Mäkinen was cautious in approaching his opponent and trying to take him off the vertical base, but once he pulled it off, the match picked up in pace with the Swede always trying to stay on top and on the offensive.
  • Despite the stretching, Menace was just too powerful and he managed to break free, before standing back up and taking control of the match with big moves that showcased his superior strength.
  • Not yet ready to give up, Mäkinen reversed in desperation and got back on the attack. From that point on, the match moved on with a fast, athletic pace and constant reversals as the two men sought the advantage.
  • Over twenty minutes after the initial bell, Menace finally managed to reverse a Mäkinen reversal and turn it into the Ultimate Rejection, the climatic big finish marking his 4th defense of the title.

Result: Menace retains via pinfall

Grade: D+

Show Grade: D+

G0gP8bp.jpgvFfJeCn.jpg

"Merle? I hope this isn't a bad time..."

The voice on the phone felt like it was coming from a million miles away. I was hungover and deprived of sleep from celebrating New Year's with the family in Ireland, but he was the boss and I was in no mood of starting 2017 with losing my job.

"Yeah, I mean, no, no it's fine Ali. Some New Year's Resolution about the company you'd like to let me in?"

"I'm just doing a little recap of the year, see how it all went down. Been a bumpy ride"

"That's putting it lightly, Ali" I said as I sat up from the couch. "Wrestling's the most uncool thing in Europe right now and the economy's declining. We're losing fans all over, no matter what."

"We lost Joey too at the start of the year, but we survived. Don't be so bleak, Merle."

"Joey was one thing. Our entire main event scene's a mess. Joey left for EWA, Stig left to prepare his retirement, Kalu's past his prime and I ain't getting any younger either."

"You'll be fine. Paul's there to help and Menace makes a fine champion for now. Plus the youngsters are really stepping up. Konrad rocked that last main event and Gutmann's amazing as our midcard champion."

"Only belt in trouble's the tag one. Shooters are out the window with Robinson gone, Mighty Menace can't do much while Menace holds the big strap, which leaves us variations of the Italian trio as potential contenders. Can't go too far with that. Plus those Germans are bigtime asshats backstage."

"What about the people we brought in?"

"Well, Robinson bailed, like I said. Boronin's doing pretty good, he'll make a good replacement for Knyazev, whether he's permanently out or not with that concussion. Giabroni and Giordano have this Team Italy thing going on with Ricci, but it'll take a few years of polishing before they can do much more. Owen really impressed me last month, I got high hopes for him in the future... then there's Lenny. Bit of a dark horse still, Lenny. Probably gonna spend the year putting Kohler over now that he's moved up the ranks."

"That doesn't sound too bad. Uhm, back to departures, who else took off in '16? Pretty sure we missed the reds, Anderson and Welsh Dragon."

"Aye, and Tanaka who went back to Japan. Think we should bring someone else from Japan?"

"Too risky. We got enough youngsters to develop already and you know the Japs;as soon as any promotion back home calls them, they'll give up everything and return. Only ones who stay off the islands are the psychos that didn't make it with Warrior Engine."

"Speaking of other companies, what's our status with EWA and VWA?"

"Byron's ship has sailed ahead, sadly. This mainstream garbage of his is easy to market to a wider audience. I'm keeping tabs on them, but right now, we're in no shape to beat them so there's truce: we stay out of each other's fields. VWA is little worse, they're being hostile to both us and EWA to make themselves look like the rebel underdogs. Like hell they are, they've got people from both their opponents on their roster! So far they're small, so if a war breaks out, we know where Konrad and Giordano will stand, but leave them unchecked and they might grow to overtake us."

"And you're telling me to not be so bleak!"

hCmYgrQ.jpg

Match Card for UEW Something to Prove 2017

Mighty Menace vs Kalu Owusu & Punisher Paul Hughes

UEW Nations title match: Irwin Gutmann © vs Marcello Ricci

Alessandro Giordano & Giancarlo Giabroni vs Merle O'Curle & Lenny Mochin

Gavin Owen, Don Henderson & Gordon Leve vs Lars Brecher, Ralph Grimm & Clubber Kohl

Highlights from the press conference to promote the show

WkiiMof.jpg4VjdQmw.jpg

Despite already having suffered a loss to Mighty Menace just two months prior, Kalu Owusu and Punisher Paul Hughes seemed confident about their scheduled rematch against the towering duo. Saying they are no longer "individually looking to pin the champion and earn a title shot but to work as a team and get the victory", Owusu and Hughes still have a tough task ahead of them and it remains to be seen whether they can pull it off this time.

nYhxOYi.jpg

Not only did Marcello Ricci pull of a surprise victory in December to earn a shot at Irwin Gutmann and the UEW Nations title, he will also be fighting that match on home soil as UEW Something to Prove has been scheduled to take place at the Taranto Forum in Italy. Always cheerful and entertaining, the Italian star was happy to answer questions regarding his big match, which he called a "potentially career defining moment".

Been a while, TEW refused to work on my computer but I recently got it up running again!

• 1 month later...

hCmYgrQ.jpg

UEW Something to prove

Date: January 2017

Venue: Taranto Forum (Italy, Europe)

Attendance: 300 (sold out)

DovYVFV.jpgt7h1jMc.jpg3K28aua.jpgvsbT0RAG5.jpgy7i27dc.jpgLcSufhc.jpg

Gavin Owen, Don Henderson & Gordon Leve vs Lars Brecher, Ralph Grimm & Clubber Kohl

• A no-nonesense 3 on 3 match got the show off on the right foot as the physically intense German team squared up with the all-UK trio for a hard-hitting old school match that's exactly what UEW fans would expect.
  • As the most experienced man in the ring, Don Henderson did a lot of the heavy lifting, but the German Machine used their experience and some quick tags to quickly shut him down.
  • Youngsters Owen and Kohl made a pretty good impression with some heavily japanese inspired strong style stiff shots and Owen especially did a good job complementing those with fluid takedowns.
  • Leve found himself manhandled by Kohl, but the young German's single-dimensional offensive style made him predictable, allowing Leve to dodge a big knee strike and put Kohl in a painful stretch for the tap out.

Result: Gavin Owen, Don Henderson & Gordon Leve win via submission

Hzu41yk.jpg

AGpnLi5.jpgoKXue9S.jpgvsvFfJeCn.jpgO4sbTBj.jpg

Alessandro Giordano & Giancarlo Giabroni vs Merle O'Curle & Lenny Mochin

• The absence of Marcello Ricci from Team Italy was more than apparent, especially with veteran technician Merle O'Curle on the opposite corner.
  • Giancarlo Giabroni had to step up big time and he did, showing some sharpened mat skills against Lenny Mochin. Once O'Curle got the tag though, it was a whole different story.
  • Giordano got the tag and entered in a hurry, looking to take advantage of his size and power but the veteran Irishman knew better. After taking him to the mat for an extended stretch, O'Curle tagged his partner in and Mochin hit the Eye of the Storm on Giordano for the pin.

Result: Merle O'Curle & Lenny Mochin win via pinfall

Grade: E+

Hzu41yk.jpg

q3GnprG.jpg

UEW Nations title match

dUr8XzG.jpgvsnYhxOYi.jpg

Irwin Gutmann vs Marcello Ricci

• Marcello Ricci may be the underdog in pretty much every match he's in, but he has been known to get a few surprise big wins and with the help of his home crowd, he looked ready to walk away with the title, something he really played to as he kept rallying fans on his side.
  • In his was was Irwin Gutmann, the ultra-serious technician who was in no mood for games and playing to the crowd. This did however amplify the difference between the two competitors and made for an interesting match.
  • Ricci took every beating and every stretch, then just kept on coming; he just wouldn't accept defeat. This earned him some grudging respect from Gutmann, but it did not earn him a victory as well; once he was caught in the Sleeper Hold, he had no way out and was forced to tap out or pass out.

Result: Irwin Gutmann retains via submission

Grade: D+

Hzu41yk.jpg

DTAxGxv.jpge9YUYUp.jpgvsWkiiMof.jpg4VjdQmw.jpg

Mighty Menace (with Fink Finkleton) vs Kalu Owusu & Punisher Paul Hughes

• While the main event featured four of UEW's biggest stars, apparently it lacked the elegance and technicality the promotion's fans appreciate, especially coming after Gutmann's defense of the Nations title.
  • Instead, this match was focused on big men slugging it out and even when they did hit a slam or power move, the minimal difference in size made it feel somewhat less spectacular than it should.
  • That's not to say the match itself was bad, especially given how well Mighty Menace seem to work as a team and with Fink at the helm. Still, once Thor the Mighty caught Hughes' spinning Roundhouse Kick to the head, he fell flat on his back and Menace wasn't fast enough to break the pin, meaning Owusu and Hughes won the match.

Result Kalu Owusu & Punisher Paul Hughes win via pinfall

Show Grade: D

Archived