Dawn of MMA

Hi all

Haven't been involved in WMMA mods since 3 was released a long time ago (had to create a new forum account its been so long). The new version has pulled me back in a bit with the reintroduction of one night tournaments so thought I'd put this out there. It's the exact same version Tag uploaded earlier, just with some of the tedious changes made.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bvpmrzj9q44ss97/DawnOfMMA.zip

***FAQ***

Q) What has changed?

A) Not a great deal. The three big things are the tedious parts. All of the bios have been set to organic, the nicknames have been amended to mid-name where needed (they were all before name) and fighter home regions have been populated (except for Japanese fighters as I'm sketchy on what regions mean where, they are mostly left as unknown or one of the big regions where you're likely to hold shows).

Russian fighters have had their base changed to Russia. That didn't use to be an option so they were all Asia.

Some slight tinkering with the companies, i.e. adding a Grand Prix to Pride.

Added 4 drug testing agencies (USADA, CCES, UK Anti-Doping and the Japanese Anti-Doping Agency)

Imported the character names, team names, nicknames, event names, TV names and new injury descriptions from the default database.

Updated the eras

Added 17 judges and 23 referees.

Started adding some attributes for fighters, i.e. Loves to Strike. I'm unsure how these will play out though so it might need revisiting. Wanderlei Silva has about 14...

Updated the owners and commentators I could remember as all their stats had defaulted.

Q) Will it be updated again?

A) I'd like to think so, but I just don't have the time any more to commit to anything major. Plus the game is just out so I'd like to have some fun with it first for a little while. :p However with it likely being the last game in the series and with the nature of this mod, it's the perfect time for the community to start updating it. Plus once it's finished all that would be needed is adding in each month any new characters/camps/companies which probably isn't a crazy task, there's just a big hill to climb initially.

Q) Is there a picture pack?

A) Don't think so. I used to like the panini one, but not sure if that's a) still around and b) works with the dimensions.

Q) What fighters are missing?

A) It's based on an old Tap or Snap mod that I would put around mid-2008ish? Looking at it, the winners of TUF 9 (UK vs. USA) aren't in the data but TUF 8 are. If memory serves it's around UFC 100 time.

So about a decade of fighters (DC, Conor etc.), organisations (Bellator) and camps/broadcasters and non-fighters are missing. Time flies I guess.

I've put together a couple of pictures for somethings like the Pride logo below. If I do get more time in the future and people are happy with it I'd try to do some more but graphics aren't really my thing.

PRIDE.gif.4cde3f591959b1cc66e4e39933daae61.gif

So yeah, seems like only yesterday I was uploading this for the first time in WMMA2! It's cool that there's still a demand for it though all these years later and I still get random PM's about it even on other unrelated forums.

Thanks to everyone who played it over the years and helped shape it with constructive feedback or positive comments. If anyone has any feedback put it in the thread and I'll use it if I manage to come back to it - or at least it would be a good starting point for anyone taking up the mantle.

What picture pack is best used for this? Had a little (Brief as I'm about to head out to work) look around WMMA 4 mod forums and couldn't find much.

I'm also wondering this as well. Would love to dive into this again but really hopeful to be able to do so with pictures.

Thanks for the mod!

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Devil_Bingo" data-cite="Devil_Bingo" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44722" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>What picture pack is best used for this? Had a little (Brief as I'm about to head out to work) look around WMMA 4 mod forums and couldn't find much.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ripwalk" data-cite="ripwalk" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44722" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm also wondering this as well. Would love to dive into this again but really hopeful to be able to do so with pictures.<p> </p><p> Thanks for the mod!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The picture pack from my January 1997 mod should cover a good proportion of the guys except the ones who retired before 1997.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Vatechfan24" data-cite="Vatechfan24" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44722" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I played this back in version 3 i think and i want to say that i remember random people and companies starting as you progress through the years. Is this correct? Does this type of thing still happen in this version?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm in May of 1999 and so far the only debuts have been companies and fighters in the Mod</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="jsilv0" data-cite="jsilv0" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44722" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm in May of 1999 and so far the only debuts have been companies and fighters in the Mod</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Sorry that's what i meant. So the fighters in the MOD start to show up as the years progress? Who is an example of someone you've seen show up?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Vatechfan24" data-cite="Vatechfan24" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44722" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Sorry that's what i meant. So the fighters in the MOD start to show up as the years progress? Who is an example of someone you've seen show up?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Pretty much anyone who debuted before then. Tito Ortiz, Frank Shamrock, Pat Miletich, Carlos Newton, etc. </p><p> </p><p> Company wise, PRIDE, SuperBrawl, and EF</p>

<p>Thanks for converting this! I am messing around with the idea of an organic picture pack for this that tries to focus on pictures from that era. This would mean a lot of screen captures from Fight Pass' archive, but I think it fits in with the early-to-mid '90s feel. My only problem is I often give in to the temptation to keep watching the fights after taking the screen cap and it just kills any semblance of efficiency. </p><p> </p><p>

One thing I noticed when playing around with the above in a converted version of this mod for WMMA4 and is still present was ethnicity settings being a bit off probably due to that feature being fleshed out in WMMA 3 & 4. For example, almost all Brazilians are set as either white or black instead of Latin (black makes sense for Afro-Brazilian fighters of course). I know many Brazilians may have African roots in the not too distant past, but I think the "Latin" ethnicity works for most. Another example is Teila Tuli set as black instead of other as there's no Polynesian setting. It would take a tonne of time to rework ethnicity settings but with the game's demographic feature, it isn't entirely superficial.</p>

• 4 months later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Oyaji" data-cite="Oyaji" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44722" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Thanks for converting this! I am messing around with the idea of an organic picture pack for this that tries to focus on pictures from that era. This would mean a lot of screen captures from Fight Pass' archive, but I think it fits in with the early-to-mid '90s feel. My only problem is I often give in to the temptation to keep watching the fights after taking the screen cap and it just kills any semblance of efficiency. <p> </p><p> One thing I noticed when playing around with the above in a converted version of this mod for WMMA4 and is still present was ethnicity settings being a bit off probably due to that feature being fleshed out in WMMA 3 & 4. For example, almost all Brazilians are set as either white or black instead of Latin (black makes sense for Afro-Brazilian fighters of course). I know many Brazilians may have African roots in the not too distant past, but I think the "Latin" ethnicity works for most. Another example is Teila Tuli set as black instead of other as there's no Polynesian setting. It would take a tonne of time to rework ethnicity settings but with the game's demographic feature, it isn't entirely superficial.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks so much for this</p>

Archived