The Music Discussion Thread

someguy82

On 10/15/2022 at 7:27 PM, djskeemask said:

Metallica's ...And Justice For All and Master Of Puppets albums are their best. Their newest, Hardwired album is a return to those days. Not exactly the same, but they are longer and heavier songs than previous mainstream albums.

You are correct. That's their best album.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

I get Korn, Adema, and even a little Linkin Park vibes. 

It's rad that there's a nu generation of nu metal. 

I was going to mention Adema but I thought I was the only person in the world who still remembered them! I used to boot up MK Deadly Alliance as a kid just to watch their Immortal video.

And agreed. I'm so happy that we've finally gotten past the kneejerk "nu metal bad" thing everyone was stuck on for so long. It was getting to the point where people were just grasping at straws to say that a nu metal band they liked "obviously isn't nu metal" because of some random aspect that ignored all the similarities. "Mudvayne can't be nu metal because they're too heavy!" "Slipknot isn't nu metal because they stopped using turntables as much!" "Deftones aren't nu metal because I like them!" (Frankly liking Deftones is far more of a sin than enjoying nu metal in general if you ask me)

• 6 months later...
On 1/27/2023 at 5:36 PM, The Swanton825 said:

I was going to mention Adema but I thought I was the only person in the world who still remembered them! I used to boot up MK Deadly Alliance as a kid just to watch their Immortal video.

And agreed. I'm so happy that we've finally gotten past the kneejerk "nu metal bad" thing everyone was stuck on for so long. It was getting to the point where people were just grasping at straws to say that a nu metal band they liked "obviously isn't nu metal" because of some random aspect that ignored all the similarities. "Mudvayne can't be nu metal because they're too heavy!" "Slipknot isn't nu metal because they stopped using turntables as much!" "Deftones aren't nu metal because I like them!" (Frankly liking Deftones is far more of a sin than enjoying nu metal in general if you ask me)

Not sure if you're familiar with the Slipknot/Mushroomhead drama from decades ago, but Mushroomhead claimed Slipknot was a manufactured band by Roadrunner because Mushroomhead turned them down. Well, a band called Kaosis released a song with Anders(original Slipknot vocalist) and Jeffrey Nothing(original Mushroomhead singer) and it's rad as hell. It's also uber surreal. I live in NE Ohio and liking Slipknot got you mocked because of the Mushroomhead loyalty here. I love both bands though and count them amongst my all time favorites. I figured you of all people might enjoy this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Not sure if you're familiar with the Slipknot/Mushroomhead drama from decades ago, but Mushroomhead claimed Slipknot was a manufactured band by Roadrunner because Mushroomhead turned them down. Well, a band called Kaosis released a song with Anders(original Slipknot vocalist) and Jeffrey Nothing(original Mushroomhead singer) and it's rad as hell. It's also uber surreal. I live in NE Ohio and liking Slipknot got you mocked because of the Mushroomhead loyalty here. I love both bands though and count them amongst my all time favorites. I figured you of all people might enjoy this. 

I totally forgot that Corey wasn't the original vocalist for Slipknot! That rivalry between them and Mushroomhead was always weird to me because I never thought the two bands sounded all that similar and if being a masked band made you a ripoff, then both bands owe GWAR a fortune in royalties. I also had the misfortune of growing up where liking either band would get you mocked as a poser because, "good metal stopped being made when Metallica cut their hair" (obvious exceptions made for redneck butt rock like Godsmack judging from the constant blasting of I Stand Alone). It's surreal to me how easy it is these days to find fans of every nu metal band I had to pretend to hate as a kid.

The Kaosis song itself was a fun throwback to that point in metal. I don't think I can get sick of late 90s-early 2000s cheese.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, James The Animator said:

Just as a reminder, TAKA Michinoku's theme slaps and you all should listen to it again.

12 hours ago, FellaLibby said:

Hot take, I think the theme for Kaientai (aka Funaki's theme) slaps harder and is great for writing music.

Jim Johnston had so many god tier themes under his belt. CFO$ had a ton of bangers too. It's a shame WWE's current music production staff isn't as good.

5 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Jim Johnston had so many god tier themes under his belt. CFO$ had a ton of bangers too. It's a shame WWE's current music production staff isn't as good.

I liked some of CFOdollarsign music, but the next imo was Tyson Kidd's Right Here Right Now theme was the best. Jim Johnston was just magic in the music department.

1 hour ago, FellaLibby said:

I liked some of CFOdollarsign music, but the next imo was Tyson Kidd's Right Here Right Now theme was the best. Jim Johnston was just magic in the music department.

Elijah Burke had an insanely good entrance song too. 

Oh and The Brian Kendrick! I'm the man with the plan! 

• 2 weeks later...