What is the in-game value of using a tag team?

I like watching tag matches IRL but as a booker, I hardly bother with them at all. My view is:

- I have to pay 4 guys in a tag match instead of 2.

- If I've got 2 over guys who can perform and are worthy of a tag title, why wouldn't they be better used as singles belt champions/contenders?

- There seems to be no inherent performance bonus for a tag team match vs a singles match. Or for an angle that uses 4 workers instead of 2.

- IRL you might have a talker matched up with a great in-ring worker. But in-game, the angles seem to involve both members entertaining and matches utilize both members in-ring performance value. In any event, in-game it seems better to use a manager for this than a tag team.

I could create angles that better use tag teams. But I don't like creating my own angles as it seems gamey. Ater all, I can create an angle that makes ANY combination of stuff work great, so I don't want to resort to that.

So how do you use tag teams? Is there any practical benefit to it or are they just around for a more realistic feel to the game?

All of the points that you brought up are realistic, indeed the first two are supposedly why Vince doesn't like using tag teams. The flip side is that the same reasons as in reality are why you might want to use them - to develop talent, to give some variety, and to hide weaker performers.

In game terms, the extra reasons are that good tag team chemistry can make two people better together than apart.

In terms of angles, it's up to you how you use them, it's certainly not cheating to use angles that give one member microphone time and not the other.

You are correct that they would be equally used in terms of in-ring performance. TEW2016 is where you can explicitly prioritise one member's in-ring performance over another.

<p>Reading that, I realize that tag teams make sense for a small promotion where you're using chemistry to make up for limited talent. I've not been paying too much attention to chemistry in my games before. For me it's more of a 'nice to have' and that explains why I've never gotten much mileage out of tag teams.</p><p> </p><p>

As a bigger promotion, you can just sign the top talent and things will work out via singles competition.</p><p> </p><p>

I feel like starting a new game with a small promotion after working through that. Thanks for the reply.</p>

• 2 months later...
Reading that, I realize that tag teams make sense for a small promotion where you're using chemistry to make up for limited talent. I've not been paying too much attention to chemistry in my games before. For me it's more of a 'nice to have' and that explains why I've never gotten much mileage out of tag teams.

As a bigger promotion, you can just sign the top talent and things will work out via singles competition.

I feel like starting a new game with a small promotion after working through that. Thanks for the reply.

In my experience, good tag team experience can also help out workers who would not otherwise be singles stars. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Dos Phoenix, for instance, including several really good matches as a tag team because they have really good tag experience and it allows them to perform better as a team than they would as a singles.

It also allows you to potentially hide guys with poor star quality. I've gotten a lot of mileage (mind you I'm playing TEW16 these days, but the point still stands) where I pair someone with really good star quality but limited in ring skills with someone who has a lot more in ring skills but not a lot of star quality. As a duo both become usable members of the roster (I've done this with Blockbuster, as an example of someone with good star quality and menace but nothing else really redeemable).

It is a philosophical thing. It costs more money to use tag teams, but a good tag division can change up your show and provide for a variety of match ups. Singles matches between each team member to lead up to a team battle, the good old tag split and former partners now feud, etc...

If you're not a tag team guy though, don't force it EMLL doesn't use tag teams in the CVerse and they're doing great.

Archived