ECW mod - opinions and advice wanted

So I'm tweaking a 2001 mod to allow ECW a lifeline. WCW has gone. WWF is all powerful.

The mod has ECW as regional with only a D- in Tri-State the rest F+ with a couple of token Es. No TV. No PPV.

Loaded with debt.

So the plan is to try and play an authentic ECW, hold on to stars where I can and replace them when I can't (ideally with former ECW stars). I'm playing a trial at the moment and getting shows around C, C-. No broadcaster is interested in TV or PPV.

My questions are:

Back in 2001, would ECW be at regional or cult?

Would cult mean TV/PPV interest?

If playing as regional, 1 show a month with quite an abrasive product, how long would it normally take, roughly, for TV/PPV interest? Roughly.

Although ECW were only on national television for just over a year (August 1999 - October 2000) should their popularity be higher?

The plan isn't necessarily to challenge Vince but I would like to get to the point where I can regularly have TV and PPV, hold onto a few contracted names and be financially responsible. This doesn't have to happen straight away but it's 2001 and a lot of the guys who were over in the mid 90s aren't getting any younger...

Also, anything else I'm not considering.

Opinions, advice, abuse - all posts welcome and appreciated. :)

<p>Honestly?</p><p> </p><p>

Id tweak the product a bit. I wouldnt keep it the ECW of the 90s, Id shift focus back to in ring product.</p><p> </p><p>

Id try and get and keep guys like RVD, Jerry Lynn, and Lance Storm, guys who can go in the ring while grabbing a few young guys like Styles and Samoa Joe as your new blood and start that way.</p><p> </p><p>

I think you'd have a better chance of getting tv and ppv to look at you. a full on hardcore fed is really hard to get on tv...ppv down the line maybe but you wont get any decent time slots.</p><p> </p><p>

As far as size? Id say regional is fine, hell the current updated mods still have ring of honor as a regional promotion when they should clearly be at cult.</p>

<p>Here are ECW's last 4 PPV attendance numbers according to Wikipedia:</p><p> </p><p>

October PPV: 4600 (Minnesota/Mid-West)</p><p>

November PPV: 4600 (Illinois/Great Lakes)</p><p>

December PPV: 2600 (NYC/Tri-State)</p><p>

January PPV: 2500 (NYC/Tri-State)</p><p> </p><p>

From what ECW Wrestlers were saying in documentaries, ECW was actually having some of their biggest attendance numbers around the same time they went out of business. It's just that they didn't have the money situation under control.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses guys. I think yeah, definitely focus on in ring product and the guys that can deliver like RVD, Jerry Lynn, Tajiri, Guido, Crazy… In my trial game 4 months in Van Dam and Lynn have already been taken by Japan. I imagine more will follow. </p><p> </p><p>

I’d like to keep it starting at Regional because that feels about right for a company without any screen time. With a more conservative product how long would you expect to play for (booking 1 show a month) before getting TV/PPV interest?</p>

For what it’s worth, Heyman has said that if ECW had continued it would have shifted focus away from hardcore to wrestling ability similar to ROH. He also said the major story going forward would have been RVD chasing the ECW World title. Essentially making RVD the figurehead.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived