The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

Fyter Fest Night 2 had 1.148 million viewers, the 3rd highest in Dynamite history. 575,000 (0.44) in the 18-49 demo, the highest since December 9, 2020. If Bryan and Punk show up at the Arthur Ashe Grand Slam show in September, I could see them matching or beating the 1.4 million Dynamite got on it's debut.

In other news, Thunder Rosa is officially All Elite.

Great news. Tony must have cut a deal because she was still under contract with NWA until the end of the year. Maybe now they will sign some more women and give them more TV time...

Good for them. Hopefully they do more than Christian. But if they are getting paid boatloads of money, good for them regardless.

I think Christian has been fine, and it's one of the things I like about AE, how they slot talents properly.

They clearly see him for what he is, a Upper Mid Card gate keeper, and I expect his storyline, similar to other veteran guys, won't come at the expense of talents they are trying to build up.

meanwhile in WWE (whatever you think of the fiend) we still do things like have Goldberg win and ruin a whole gimmick because he got real upset he was being asked to get pinned

Punk and Bryan would be a different kettle of fish, those guys still have money to draw you at the top of the card.

Also, if the Punk news is true, please just K.I.S.S AEW (which they generally do)

give me the hangman redemption arc we are on, have him win in Chicago, and then have Punk walk out to one of the biggest pops in show history

Then we get a 3 way story between Punk trying to be the top dog, Hangman trying to prove he can be a champion, and Kenny and the elite sniffing around it all.

it writes itself lol

<p>I love Hangman but I would be disappointed if Omega lost the title this soon. It feels like we're still in the middle of Omega's belt collection storyline and the Forbidden Door is about to bust wide open... depending on travel conditions between the US and Japan. He still needs to defend the AAA title against Andrade, beat Takeshita for the DDT title (if Takeshita wins their top title soon), the NJPW NEVER Openweight title from Jay White at Bound For Glory and maybe the NWA title against Aldis.</p><p> </p><p>

Observer Notes:</p><p> </p><p>

- Rosa got "a great offer" to come to AEW, she got out of the NWA contract July 1st and signed quickly, but they waited to announce</p><p>

- They aren't doing anything special for their 100th episode coming up soon because that one week last year where they did 2 episodes for the NBA final makes the count confusing, they instead are doing a special 2 year anniversary show in October</p><p>

- Jake Roberts started on a 10-week deal, then got a 1 year extension, and recently signed a 2 year extension</p><p>

- Laredo Kid is expected to return soon to Impact and get a push.</p><p>

- Meltzer said that Tony Khan decided to switch Andrade’s manager from Vickie to Chavo after seeing the negative feedback to the Vickie & Andrade pairing. Chavo is NOT Andrade’s real surprise.</p>

So AEW has sold over 15,000 tickets to the NYC show and the listed capacity is around 23,000. I'll be shocked if they don't sell out.

There's also rumors that Bryan Danielson will be debuting on that show if he has indeed signed.

I've seen quite a few people saying him and Punk should do an nWo style stable of invaders. Not saying it would be bad, but I'd rather see something a little more original.

Also, what if Omega beats Hangman at All Out and then Punk debuts to confront him?

I'm thinking if Punk has indeed signed, him coming out after MJF's match with Jericho and doing something with MJF would be ideal. Boom, that's your first feud. I would prefer keeping both Punk and Bryan away from titles, at least off the bat. Keep them Punk in the same "special attraction" category as Sting and Bryan in the same "veteran who might go on one last big run" category as Jericho and Christian. If they're gonna get in the picture, have them climb the ladder and play the game like everyone else does. Just because two of your most sought after wish-list wrestlers are under the AEW umbrella doesn't mean you should start getting sloppy. Stay consistent, keep the same energy and don't betray your audience. If Kenny is losing the title at All Out like I think, then we can talk him vs. Bryan (or Punk) since there's no hierarchy to go through to get the match.

- Jake Roberts started on a 10-week deal, then got a 1 year extension, and recently signed a 2 year extension

re: this. Jake claimed he thought he was signing another 1 year deal and didn't realize it was for 2 years until after he signed... too old school to read his own contracts before signing I guess :D

If they wanted to bring Punk in as a heel (would prefer this) they should put him into an angle with Page right out of the gate and have Omega hold the belt a bit longer. It writes itself really, could even play off Colt's allegiance with the Dark Order vs. w/Punk.

I'm thinking if Punk has indeed signed, him coming out after MJF's match with Jericho and doing something with MJF would be ideal. Boom, that's your first feud. I would prefer keeping both Punk and Bryan away from titles, at least off the bat. Keep them Punk in the same "special attraction" category as Sting and Bryan in the same "veteran who might go on one last big run" category as Jericho and Christian. If they're gonna get in the picture, have them climb the ladder and play the game like everyone else does. Just because two of your most sought after wish-list wrestlers are under the AEW umbrella doesn't mean you should start getting sloppy. Stay consistent, keep the same energy and don't betray your audience. If Kenny is losing the title at All Out like I think, then we can talk him vs. Bryan (or Punk) since there's no hierarchy to go through to get the match.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Punk has been away from the ring and probably away from wrestling altogether for at least 6 years now. We've seen with Miro and to a lesser extent perhaps, Andrade, what just 90 days away does to you as a wrestler. Punk will have to get back in ring shape and regain his confidence as a performer and I can't think of a better group of wrestlers to work with than Shawn Spears and FTR to do exactly that. Behind the scenes and on screen, if I'm Punk I'm asking to work with that trio because they are total professionals and they'll get me to where I want to be. Punk versus The Pinnacle makes sense because the promos with MJF will be hot fire and can carry the rivalry whilst Punk works to get back to a high level as an in-ring performer. Plus he can tell a story with MJF, he won't have to do a high work rate classic to have a great match.

I also think that Jericho versus MJF is going on last at All Out. Fozzy are touring the UK in September, I think they write Jericho off for a while, maybe a Retirement Match? Loser Leaves Town? MJF wins, hams it up, then Cult of Personality plays and Punk steals MJF's thunder and stares him down to end the show.

Punk's program also doesn't need the title and he shouldn't be taking away spots from other performers. Darby has been spinning his wheels in the midcard with Ethan Page & Scorpio Sky despite being one of the companies fastest emerging top stars next to Britt Baker. If Omega does retain, and I think he will because the babyface side of the roster is so much stronger, then I'd like to see him versus Darby in the main event of the next PPV because Darby deserves to be a headliner now.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Punk has been away from the ring and probably away from wrestling altogether for at least 6 years now. We've seen with Miro and to a lesser extent perhaps, Andrade, what just 90 days away does to you as a wrestler. Punk will have to get back in ring shape and regain his confidence as a performer and I can't think of a better group of wrestlers to work with than Shawn Spears and FTR to do exactly that. Behind the scenes and on screen, if I'm Punk I'm asking to work with that trio because they are total professionals and they'll get me to where I want to be. Punk versus The Pinnacle makes sense because the promos with MJF will be hot fire and can carry the rivalry whilst Punk works to get back to a high level as an in-ring performer. Plus he can tell a story with MJF, he won't have to do a high work rate classic to have a great match.

I also think that Jericho versus MJF is going on last at All Out. Fozzy are touring the UK in September, I think they write Jericho off for a while, maybe a Retirement Match? Loser Leaves Town? MJF wins, hams it up, then Cult of Personality plays and Punk steals MJF's thunder and stares him down to end the show.

Punk's program also doesn't need the title and he shouldn't be taking away spots from other performers. Darby has been spinning his wheels in the midcard with Ethan Page & Scorpio Sky despite being one of the companies fastest emerging top stars next to Britt Baker. If Omega does retain, and I think he will because the babyface side of the roster is so much stronger, then I'd like to see him versus Darby in the main event of the next PPV because Darby deserves to be a headliner now.

I agree with almost all of this, except Kenny retaining in chicago unless there is some further nuance to Hangman's story planned

Like I feel like Hangman is at the cusp now, I'll compare it (just push and aftermath wise, not performance) to the Fiend and Goldberg. you have to pull the trigger on "making" hangman now, or risk that the fans see him as a stalled talent

they've told this very good story about hangman basically losing the chance to be the face of the company as the first champion, Kenny pulling him out of a funk with the tag team after he lost, then Hangman cracking under the pressure of that and setting Kenny off on "the belt collector" path while he basically hid from the world in a bottle and lost all his friends .

now you've slow built that he's found friends who accept him for him (dark order) and believe in him, and he's finally after a year of slow build up got the confidence in himself to look Kenny in the eye and say "I'm just as good as you are" with a win

I'm just not sure where you go with it if he doesn't win in Chicago that doesn't do what Goldberg did to the fiends career (ended it, basically)

agree that Punk doesn't need the belt though in whatever storyline he gets put into, MJF sounds good as well, since I would figure you have to at least start Punk as a face since the Crowd is going to go bonkers for him.

I agree about using Punk as a marquee match only heel. He's going to have major ring rust and they can leverage his mic skills to give him TV time and build interesting feuds.

Bryan on the other hand can wrestle more often (depending on what schedule he agrees to) and work his way to a title shot against Miro or Omega.

Fun opener even if the tag rules are apparently just never going to be enforced ever. Little shocked Page lost. I wonder who Omega's All Out challenger is now?

Santana and Ortiz vs FTR was fun but way too short. Hopefully they come back to this one and we get the banger they are more than capable of having. Does anyone know how Wheeler's arm got cut open? It was gushing blood like crazy.

I popped as usual for Meng. Hikuleo didn't really get to do much and that's a shame. Excited for Archer vs Tana though.

Malakai's black eye gets darker every week. Is that intentional or just inconsistent make up?

Christian and Jurassic Express vs HFO was super short, but they squeezed a lot in. Blade vs Christian could be fun, but I wish Blade would drop the brass knuckles gimmick. It's lame.

I really like Julia Hart. She's adorable, spunky, and improves almost every outing. That said, Rosa outclasses her in every way. They did a good job showcasing Rosa and making Julia look as inexperienced as she is without making her look bad. Good booking here.

Gage and Jericho....ehhhh...I'm not a deathmatch guy. It was whatever. I don't like Nick Gage that's for sure. He has an undeniable connection to his niche audience, but he does nothing for me. I watched his match with Cardona and now this match with Jericho and I just hope I never have to sit through anything involving him again. His falcon arrow was the ugliest I've ever seen. Dude can take an unreal amount of punishment and that's respectable, but it just does nothing for me I guess. I don't mind hardcore matches and such when they're in a story with a heated rivalry, but guys who only do deathmatches? Yuck.

MJF messed up when he said it's been 15 years since Juventud had been on TNT...In September it'll be 21 years since his last appearance on Nitro.

Darby's challenge to "the best in the world" at Rampage in Chicago is more trolling/teasing. Interested to see if it's actually Punk.

I assume the ending for FTR vs Santana/Ortiz was rushed because of the injury? It was a solid start but after the injury it felt a little messy. Still solid and I'm fine with FTR going over cleanly as you have to imagine there's a lot more life in this one. Special shoutout to Dax for one the nastiest looking brainbuster's I've seen in a long time.

I was interested to see how the main event played out because for obvious reasons I didn't expect Nick Gage to be allowed to behave like... uh... Nick Gage? They did a nice job of toning it down without erasing his persona. The match wasn't anything spectacular but it served it's purpose and I was impressed with Jericho's willingness to take some of the bumps.

Would've been nice to see AEW play off the teases GCW had given for Mox versus Gage.

- Hangman & Dark Order vs Elite Squad was a MOTY Contender. Pure fun from start to finish with a hot crowd. The hype video, entrances and ring gear were awesome. Hangman lost as I expected.

- The FTW title finally feels important. I hope Ricky defends it regularly and gets plenty of mic time. Cage destroying the band was fun.

- FTR vs PnP was good even though they had to rush the finish. PnP's title shot will have to wait. Maybe Dark Order will be next tag champs...

- CM Punk has to be signed with all these hints.

- Hikuleo vs Archer © was solid. Tanahashi! Shame the match won't be on Dynamite.

- Cody/Black got the extra build it needed. Welcome to Dynamite Fuego lol. Miro crushing another promo.

- HFO Office vs Jurassic Express & Christian was solid. Luchasaurus triple german suplex spot was cool.

- Julia vs Rosa was solid. Mox is salty. Looks like a slow build to a Tana match has started.

- Jericho vs Gage was bloody great fun. I marked out for a few spots. The mist was a smart setup for the Judas Effect. MJF not loving life now lol. Juve WTF!

Here trying to guess who Jericho's next opponents (after Juvi) may be. Stinko Malenko? Lance Storm? Christian, RVD, Scott Steiner? :p

Would be fun if MJF called in his Dynasty pals Alex Hammerstone and Richard Holliday, but those do not fit the story and are too busy in MLW I guess