Confused about football sim

Guest SportsFan76

[QUOTE=SportsFan76]So, I am confused. Is Grey Dog going to be putting out a pro football sim and when? What all solid football sims are out there?[/QUOTE] I believe Arlie (GDS football developer & Owner) is under a "no compete" clause that prohibits him from making or releasing (not sure which) a "pro" football sim until summer/fall of next year (2005). However, a GDS official may want to comment.

[QUOTE=Maximus]I believe Arlie (GDS football developer & Owner) is under a "no compete" clause that prohibits him from making or releasing (not sure which) a "pro" football sim until summer/fall of next year (2005). [/QUOTE] He can work on a pro football sim right now. He cannot release a competing pro football sim until Aug, 2005.

I imagine that totalcollegefootball.com would remain the intellectual property of .400software studios and can not be used, else Arlie will just let it expire as he will not be using the Total --- Football branding. I will be getting whatever football game Grey Dog does put out after the agreement ends and trying to play in any league Bob Hanson runs ;) -Al Flynn

The sad thing is, I doubt highly that he can be any real competition to EA if they truly do put out a sim type game. It sucks for small developers trying to get started, hopefully Arlie listened to us and is doing all of the things that the community has asked otherwise a new 'pro' game could just be a huge waste of time.

Guest IrishHand
What are you talking about? EA releasing a sports sim would be the greatest thing possible for companies like GDS. Such an EA release would likely significantly increase the market size of sports simmers - and as they became more educated, they would become aware of superior products elsewhere. When you look at the millions of people who play fantasy football on a regular basis, it's pretty clear that there are millions of pigskin fans out there who dream of GMing their own football team. Come up with a realistic, intuitive, understandable football sim on the heels of an EA sports sim release and you'd be in great position - even with the NFL license monopoly that EA has. The only way that rationale doesn't work is if EA releases a top-quality NFL sports sim - and if they do that, who cares? Your goal should be to have the best-quality NFL sim, regardless of who makes it.

[QUOTE=IrishHand]What are you talking about? EA releasing a sports sim would be the greatest thing possible for companies like GDS. Such an EA release would likely significantly increase the market size of sports simmers - and as they became more educated, they would become aware of superior products elsewhere. [/QUOTE] but Companies like GDS should also put there game in the stores too...More people will buy it and spread the word too.. i believe if TPB 2005 for example was out in the US stores and European, canada, etc..this game will be so popular and sell very well because most people buygames from what they see on the store shelf.. as long as sims games come with a great manual , alot of people that dont know what sports sim games is all about will help them reliaze why sports sims games are so great.. i would love in the future to see more sports sim games hit the store shelves beside just for download only...

I never said it wasnt the best thing for me, just said it would be bad for independant developers. I know what your saying about raising the profile of 'sim' type games which is somewhat true, sim type games will never be as popular as Madden etc, which have alot of the same elements in them, just not as defined. So to recap what I was saying, I hope Arlie has listened to the criticism/ideas and he can produce a top notch game as the competition just got bigger =).

It should not be a top-quality NFL sim. It should be a top-quality FOOTBALL sim. EA likely won't touch other markets, ie Canadian football, NFL Europe, etc. If Arlie can get the adjustable league sizes in there, it gives him an edge. Those are just my $.02. Based on comments about TPF, I would expect that Arlie, should he be working on a game for an August release, has started planning for this feature to be incorporated. -John

EA has already released a football "sim"... Back in '01 they released a followup to Jim Gindin's Front Office Football and made it available for download only (after initially promising for it to be bundled with Madden). If my memory serves me correctly, they were also part of the next release, but has since given up on the series. Jim now publishes independently again.

My 2 cents ...... A new football sim should offer --- Head to Head play for up to 4-8 people (ideally all teams but that would likely be a programing nightmare) --- online play -- detailed depth of playcalling of "NFL Strategy" board game ... and the play planning like a pro coach "the play sheet" with "X" number of plays for offense and defense The "play sheet" would allow you to assign your plays much like TPF but be able to see them all when making a call ........... you could add for easier level of play a coach upstairs during games that tells you which plays are hurting your defense and which plays are working best for your offense. this all would be good - IMO

Archived