How is this game for a Non-Wrestling Fan ?

The one area where it might affect you is with the moves. A wrestling fan knows instinctively that a Brainbuster Suplex is a killer move, while a Belly To Belly Suplex is a mid-level throw. For someone who doesn't have that existing knowledge, it may take you a bit longer to put together move sets and know what moves to go for at what stage in a match. The rest of the game should be pretty self-explanatory to anyone, regardless of their knowledge of wrestling, as most of the stats have obvious names.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland]A wrestling fan knows instinctively that a Brainbuster Suplex is a killer move, while a Belly To Belly Suplex is a mid-level throw...[/QUOTE] Unless you're a wrestling fan stuck in their nostalgia. :) 'Hey Magnum... get outta that Porsche! Ryland, here, has something to say about that Belly-to-Belly of yours!'

• 2 weeks later...
my question I've tried the demo. I'm just no good at winning the matches. I haven't been a big fan of wrestling since the late 80s, although I did watch the pay-per-views regularly for about a year during the stint when Kurt Angle was champ. I have no idea what the moves are or when to use them. Is there going to be a guide on that? If not, I don't think I will ever really be able to get into the game. It looks like a really enjoyable game, and I love simulations.

You're not alone, pilgrim. I haven't sat down to watch a wrestling show since the early 90's, and haven't really followed it since '86. The new wave Japanese/Lucha influenced stuff is so alien to me, I sometimes find myself swamped under. A good match used to be a few sharp pencil jabs and a piledriver. Now you have triple moonsaults through a pool of piranha that have armed themselves with thumb tacks. Still, I love this game. It reminds me of a pen, paper, and dice turn/stat-based wrestling game I made for my friends and I in the early 80s. We played that game for over 5 years. I pined for that sucker for years after losing the data in a move - heh. WreSpi is the closest I'll ever see to that game, and I'm having a blast with it. There may not be strat guides out there, but I'd be happy to help you out any way I can. Drop me a line if you are still stuck. I'm sure you'll enjoy the game as much as I do if you can wrap your head around the jumping bean mentality.

[url]http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/bbbowm/bbbowm.htm[/url] If anyone is looking to know what a certain move is (That is w/ non-WreSpi named gimmick moves) then you can go there. Actually, in any case, you can pretty much find any common wrestling move there. There may be exceptions, but with over 1,000 moves listed, it doesn't really matter. They list moves by real name, not common, but if you read through it, most moves will popular wrestlers who use the moves and many of the names that the wrestlers gave the moves. Looking for what a Stunner is? Go to the right page (there are 3) and just go to 'Edit' on your browser and use the ' Find' option and you can easily find what the move is really called and how it is performed. I hope this helps the non-fans or old school fans. I think many people already know of this place. Anyone looking to create moves for WreSpi and don't know about this place, may want to use it. So enjoy.

Counters should be used near the end of matches, I've found. They don't often seem to work earlier on, as the AI generally likes to try moves that have the highest Frequency Rate for them. The more you play, the more you'll start getting a feel for the moves. Always take your wrestler's skills into consideration when deciding upon whether you should Block/Break/Avoid/etc. If you are a quickster facing a big bruiser, for example, Slip Outs seem to work best on the larger selection of moves. Johnny... I have watched a handful of Japanese matches (Mutah and Sting v. Road Warriors, 2 of the Dynamite Kid v. Tiger Mask series, and I think it one of Bockwinkel's appearances there). Not enough to base a great opinion, but it's certainly interesting. The Eastern Culture gives me the willies. Kind of like the Trilogy of Terror movie segment with the voodoo doll... or Mothra. ;)

Well, since you liked the early 80s stiff wrestling style of guys like Brody and Hansen, I recomend picking up some kind of early 90s All Japan show, as it showcased Hansen in his twilight, still able to have some of the best matches of all time. Stan Hansen vs Kenta Kobashi champions carnival 1993 is one of my favorite matches, and it features some of the stiffest work seen outside of the MMA world.

2 more quick questions On moves, when they appear in the move list does that mean it is now an appropriate time to use them. At the beginning of the match I only have a few moves, while by the end I have all my moves. Also, does using a move over and over increase the chance of it being blocked or slipped out of, etc. Thanks.

On moves: There are four levels of moves - Low, Medium, High, and Finishers. You start off with only Low Level moves available to you. As the match progresses and the opponent starts taking damage/losing stamina, your next level of moves opens up; on and on until you reach the Finishers (marked by a * on your moves list). I don't think that increased use of a particular move allows for better blocking of said move, as I'm pretty sure its a straight up percentage. I may be wrong on that one, though. Perhaps there is a modifier to the Frequency Rate of moves used over and over, but I haven't noticed if there is.

Does using moves over and over effect the match rating? Also, when a move opens up is it appropriate to use it? And finally, do you just do a higher level move or is it better to do low moves in order to open them up. Thanks for all the help. I am more than likely going to buy the game now.

Archived