Cricket

I've played CM quite extensively...I'm not a soccer fan and for me it doesn't compare to OOTP 6, but I would like some of the features it has in OOTP. Anyway, the idea of a cricket game to me at least is absurd. While I understand their are millions of people (perhaps 100's of millions of people) that may enjoy cricket, it wouldnt be cost or time effective. Most of crickets fan's live in 2 countries(and other parts of Africa), UK and India...those who know your history know that India was a part of the British empire for hundreds of years. That is why Indians enjoy the game of cricket. It was taught to them by the British. However, India is still considered to be a 3rd world country. It has over a billion people and perhaps a few hundred million are fans. How many Indians actually have computers that they buy games for? Games are hardly a necessity for a people so poor. In fact, Indians GDP is a measly 2900 dollars. That means a game costing 35 dollars costs over 1 percent of their yearly total income. Can you imagine in America, one game costing one percent of our average income. For the average American 1 percent is 378 dollars(based on 37,800) GDP for Americans. All these statistics are to prove one thing. While their are many fans of cricket, most of them are from poorer countries(including African countries). While it may sell well in the UK, that is basically the only place to sell a simulation of Cricket. Also, one other note. There were 159 million internet users in the US in 2002. In India their were only 16.58 million. Thats from a country that has 4 times ther amount of people as the U.S.

[QUOTE=cody8200] Anyway, the idea of a cricket game to me at least is absurd. While I understand their are millions of people (perhaps 100's of millions of people) that may enjoy cricket, it wouldn't be cost or time effective. Most of crickets fan's live in 2 countries(and other parts of Africa), UK and India...[/QUOTE] you forgot 2 important countries and 1 important cricket region Australia, New Zealand, west Indies Australia has a huge fan base for cricket and is the main sport of Australian summer. New Zealand (to the best of my knowledge :P) is the same deal as Australia. West Indies I'm not to sure about the population or anything but they are fans of cricket most likely on the same level as the subcontinent fans (Subcontinent is Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh)

.... You're looking at base population here, which is the wrong thing to look at. You need to look at target market.... and I actually think that because of the passionate nature of cricket fans in the various hotbed countries in the world, that the actual target market population would in essence be larger than what you're thinking of. Besides, it *is* possible to profit with a small target market population. You know, the whole niche idea? You really should read and *think* more about the things you write before you post.

I think that developers are smart enough to know their own markets. Most times they will create a game for the love of it. If they sell a few copies then that is a bonus. If they can make a living out of it then even better. I believe that games like Baseball Mogul only sold something like 3000 copies when it was first released. Puresim baseball has been a moderate success although I don't know numbers to be able to compare. Games like cricket sims, Aussie Rules Football sims ( like [URL=http://www.stratagemsports.com.au]Total Aussie Rules[/URL] ) and other sims ( like [URL=http://www.users.bigpond.com/machoward]Sick As A Parrot[/URL] - a soccer sim ) create a game for a niche market. Good luck to them. I'd like to see them all succeed. Look at Risto Remes. He and his team created the hugely popular freeware game Eastside Hockey Manager. He did so well with it that he was signed by Sports Interactive to produce the commercial version of the game. Personally I'd like to see a cycling sim - something that simulates the Tour de France. There is an arcade game Cycling Manager that is available in Europe but I've never seen it for myself. I would never have believed a wrestling sim would have had a market but that is my own taste. I say good luck for anyone ( Adam and others ) to have found and nurtured this market and made a success of it. If they build it, they will come . . .

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=radobar]you forgot 2 important countries and 1 important cricket region Australia, New Zealand, west Indies Australia has a huge fan base for cricket and is the main sport of Australian summer. New Zealand (to the best of my knowledge :P) is the same deal as Australia. West Indies I'm not to sure about the population or anything but they are fans of cricket most likely on the same level as the subcontinent fans (Subcontinent is Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh)[/QUOTE] Finally, a sport I know more than everyone else about. Cricket is played by many countries around the world, and a cricket sim (like International Cricket Captain and Australian Cricket captain.) are not only hugely popular around England but also here in Australia, South Africa and other cricket nations. There are 12 official cricket nations consisting of: Australia Bangladesh New Zealand England West Indies Pakistan India South Africa Sri Lanka Zimbabwe Kenya In India alone, there is almost two and a half times the amount of cricket fans than there are of redidents in the US. Of course, poverty and the masses of languages make it difficult to tap into this resource but it is just an example of how foolish some of the commments stated on this board are.

[QUOTE=chammer39]Personally most of us were taking into account the amount of poverty and then there is the age demographics.[/QUOTE] dude- you're an idiot. Basing game sales on country wide populations for a small independent developer is hardly a concern, as one of the DEVELOPER's has pointed out to you. And while the average Indian GDP is lower- there is a middle class which has far more disposable income- in a place where cricket is a minor (scratch that- major) religous belief. Adam- hell, you make it- I'll buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=radobar]Hopefully one day a good cricket sim gets created, i am a huge fan of cricket but their is not any good simulation/arcade cricket games. [/QUOTE] Although this is definitely not my sport of choice, I know I've run across quite a few people who think pretty highly of Ozwat Games tabletop (dice & chart) [URL=http://www.owzatgames.com/page8.html]International Cricket[/URL], their [URL=http://www.owzatgames.com/page7.html]Limited Overs[/URL] and their newest product [URL=http://www.owzatgames.com/page32.html]2 Hour Test Cricket[/URL] Also, from Lambourne Games, there's a couple of older PC titles -- [URL=http://www.sportsgameshop.com/cri.html#pcl]PC Limited Overs[/URL] and [URL=http://www.sportsgameshop.com/cri.html#itc]International Test Cricket[/URL] Just FWIW ...

Archived