New ECW?

Stupid question, and pretty tough anyway to answer since we can't see the ECW product yet, but with Heyman promo on Raw, then the Angle thing, then the ECW's push during opening match of Smackdown!, the 'new' ECW might be more 'cutting-edge' than 'hardcore' itself don't you think ? (And to add weight to this, is WWE wants ECW to compete with TNA they need to be more cutting-edge and not just about plunder hardcore action)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=MrCanada] OVW isnt closing at all, I know a handfull of workers there who have told me the "reports" on the internet about that were very pre-mature. (SUPER-early reports said ECW was just going to be OVW + RVD and some former WWE stars). At this point, if anything, DSW is going to close but there are no plans right now to do that either and I know a couple people down there too.[/QUOTE] there's several factors that must have gotten me to think OVW was closing. I had read that OVW sent out notices to subscribers saying thier OVW tapes would no longer be for sale as WWE has purchased the library as well as bought Cornette out of his share of OVW. And with Dreamer running OVW while Heyman was getting things ready for ECW, I must have been under the impression it was going to be closed. I've definitely heard that DSW is going to be closing soon. I could be mistaken, but I believe something was also mentioned on the DSW site as well. Granted it's gonna take a while for that to happen, I think them calling up the Miz, Michelle McCool, and several others is signs that DSW won't be open much longer.

Yeah the WWE purchasing OVW librabry plus Heyman/Dreamer now having to deal with ECW isn't a good sign, but I truly hope it won't close, OVW is awesome... But they can close DSW with no problem, if you're not good enough to be on the OVW roster, you won't have any chance to be more than a 6-month wanabee character on WWE anyway lol

[QUOTE=ilovebarbu]Yeah the WWE purchasing OVW librabry plus Heyman/Dreamer now having to deal with ECW isn't a good sign, but I truly hope it won't close, OVW is awesome... But they can close DSW with no problem, if you're not good enough to be on the OVW roster, you won't have any chance to be more than a 6-month wanabee character on WWE anyway lol[/QUOTE] True story.

the library gimmick is just WWE expanding their library. Now they can include footage of Cena (and such) in OVW in DVD's. And use that library for 24/7 and DVDs for before they were superstars and such. Its just WWE getting anything relevant.

Cornette still owns 1/2 of OVW. He's just burnt out at the moment, & thus wants nothing to do with it at the moment. Cornette still does the local TV ads promoting the shows. OVW is now being booked by recently signed Greg Gagne (who BEGGED Vince for a job at the Hall of Fame ceremony) & Al Snow with Aaron "Idol" Stevens as house show booker.

[QUOTE=flashmagic]Cornette still owns 1/2 of OVW. He's just burnt out at the moment, & thus wants nothing to do with it at the moment. Cornette still does the local TV ads promoting the shows. OVW is now being booked by recently signed Greg Gagne (who BEGGED Vince for a job at the Hall of Fame ceremony) & Al Snow with Aaron "Idol" Stevens as house show booker.[/QUOTE] Isnt that some kind of conflict of intrest? Him owning half of OVW and now going to TNA soon (rumored).... OH and doing the ROH stuff.

[QUOTE=njgio]Cornette was fired for assaulting a worker backstage, I think.[/QUOTE] From his WWE contract. That had no effect on his ownership of OVW. Funny thing, due to the bad blood between Heyman & Cornette, Heyman is/was pushing the trainee Cornette slapped around (for laughing at the Boogeyman on OVW TV) pretty hard as a psuedo Taz/MMA fighter.

[QUOTE=flashmagic]From his WWE contract. That had no effect on his ownership of OVW. Funny thing, due to the bad blood between Heyman & Cornette, Heyman is/was pushing the trainee Cornette slapped around (for laughing at the Boogeyman on OVW TV) pretty hard as a psuedo Taz/MMA fighter.[/QUOTE] lol thats funny

[QUOTE=Johnny Fenoli]Isnt that some kind of conflict of intrest? Him owning half of OVW and now going to TNA soon (rumored).... OH and doing the ROH stuff.[/QUOTE] No because he has no sway in the booking due to the involvement of WWE talent. Cornette will just earn money on whatever OVW makes as a regular wrestling school/promotion. Not all talent/trainee's are employed by WWE, infact a load of current WWE stars got their contracts through working/training in OVW and they caught the WWE talent scouts eye (Basham's, Dinsmore, Conway, Joey Matthews, etc.)

[QUOTE=njgio]The "best way" to do it would be the most realistic way, since this is a real life mod we're talking about. Yeah, that's unfortunate, but hardcore isn't THAT different to sports entertainment. Also, I think you'll find that the new ECW will be slightly less risky and slightly more devoted to angles naturally, due to them having a higher budget.[/QUOTE] The only problem I have with making ECW a brand is that brands are too linked to each other. Just because RAW gets a 4.0 rating doesn't mean ECW will and vice versa. Game play wise it hurts having a weaker roster like ECW's dragging down the popularity. Plus since we can only have 2 brands merging SD and RAW isn't very realistic. Since there is no perfect way to incorporate ECW into the game then I still believe the "best way" is the personal preference of the user. Each way has it's pros and cons and each way has it's realistic and unrealistic qualities. Just pick the one that's going to be the most fun for you. [QUOTE=njgio]Edit- Also, to add to this, ECW will be AROUND the same popularity as WWE. It'll be higher budget, promoted on RAW/SD! and also it has been hyped so much throughout the post years of its demise.[/QUOTE] Even with the advantages you mentioned I don't think ECW will be close to WWE's popularity level. I highly doubt ECW's ratings will beat SD's beyond possibly the first week (I hope I'm wrong). ECW will offer something different then WWE fans are accustom too. ECW will also feature a roster largely made up of talent new to that audience. The whole point to bringing ECW back is to target a sector of the wrestling audience not currently watching the WWE (and obviously some that enjoy both) To assume that WWE's casual fans will embrace ECW is a big leap of faith.

Totally agree with the last statement. That's what scares me about them being taped the same time as smackdown. Wish they'd just give ecw a few cameras and a small crew... tell em to tape their house shows or something. That way it still has that ECW love from the WHOLE crowd.

[QUOTE=Rams]The only problem I have with making ECW a brand is that brands are too linked to each other. Just because RAW gets a 4.0 rating doesn't mean ECW will and vice versa.[/QUOTE] I think ECW probably would get the same kind of rating as WWE, but only if it was on the same network. The fact that the show will be on SCI-FI will surely make the rating lower, and fortunately, that situation can be simulated accurately in the game. Make ECW a brand, put the show on SCI-FI and it won't get as high a rating as RAW. Incase you haven't noticed since ECW ended, the name itself has actually become more mainstream. It's world-known now due to the Invasion storyline, the Rise And Fall Of ECW DVD and also the angles that are currently happening on RAW and SD! each week. I don't think they're catering mainly for those who don't watch WWE. They're just bringing back an extremely popular franchise.

Archived