New gimmick system

I'm not sure how new you are to the game so I'll list everything I know, however basic it may be.

First in your user talents theres 5 stats. Negotiating, leadership, diplomacy, motivation and I believe the last one is called creativity. This last attribute gives positive or negative bonuses to gimmick ratings. The higher your creativity rating, the higher chance of a successful gimmick or gimmick change.

2nd, look at a character's attributes. This game has attributes for gimmicks now as opposed to ratings. Not all characters will have specific attributes related to gimmicks, but the majority I've seen do. So pick a gimmick style they're particularly good at playing, this will increase the chance of a higher rating.

When you make the gimmick, you can pick somewhere on the grid between creative, generic, unique and safe. Each of these 4 have an effect. I don't recall what they do specifically off the top of my head but I believe unique makes the gimmick life shorter in exchange for potentially larger bonuses while generic does the opposite. Creative and safe essentially determine the ranges the initial gimmick can get. Creative could be high or low ratings while safe you're more likely to get around average.Again, pick a basis the character is good at playing.

Don't change a gimmick too soon after giving someone a gimmick.

As a last resort, if the gimmick gets a horrible theme, you could tweak it at the start as opposed to when it gets stale. There's more in the handbook about how that works but it's something along the lines of it can get a little better or little worse when tweaking.

Lastly, they can get better over time by being seen while using their gimmick so if you don't get a great rating, there is still hope.