When mods update do I have to restart?

General question because I'm not sure how the file structure works. Say I download a beta of a mod and start a savegame. Say the modmaker continues to refine it and update it. Do I need to toss my savegame each time there's an update to the mod (assuming stuff like attributes are tweaked), or will putting the new MDB file in there update the attributes of the workers within my savegame?

followup on this, I got the old 9000verse mod for 2013 converted and I got a dynasty thread going, problem is a lot has changed from 2013 to 2020 the main thing is angles.

My question is. If I update the angles to consider Acting Selling etc, will it update in my save or does my save use a copy of the database when the save was built? I know I can convert a save into a database and then do it but I'm mid week right now lol

So when an update comes out, should we import it into our saved games? Will it create duplicates or just install whatever is new in mod?

An update mod has no effect on current saved games, you have to start a new game with the updated mod to be able to use it, there would be little point to import information from an update mod into a save as it will not change any information, ay best it may add some workers, but if you are intent on using the new database you need to restart the save.

To go into more details

1) Mods are just databases. They don't impact the underlying functions of the game but are just a collection of workers/companies etc.

2) When a new game is started the game sets up a copy of the database and dumps it into the save file. That is that long loading time when you start a new game, it's copying the database.

3) With that copy it saves all the changes that happens to the game world during your game. Worker's stats improve? Saved to this DB copy. A new contract is signed? Saved to the copy.

4) Mod updates are just database changes. Worker stats are tweaked, pictures get linked, workers get added etc.

So 9 times out of 10, if you want to play an updated database you'll need to start a new game. If it's updates to angles or narratives or new workers you can import them to an existing game but if it is updates to existing workers or companies then there isn't much you can do.

This is why I'm waiting for mods to reach a stage where major updates are done and dusted (stats, attributes, personality, future workers, broadcasters etc etc) to play them, otherwise it's an incomplete experience and will require multiple restarts.