For Those Who Run Japanese Style Touring Schedules...

Do you feel like your "Season Finale" is actually your big show/tour?

For me the G-1/Champions Carnival and Tag League type tours always feel the biggest. They go on longer than the Season Finale tour and have more big matches happening. And at the end it feels more accomplished (to me) than the big show, which is just a slightly longer "regular" tour.

The system is obviously based on NJPW where Wrestle Kingdom is the undeniable season finale, not the G1 Final. Some Japanese companies like AJPW don't really have a season finale as they don't really have a WK-like show. Some companies, like DDT, BJW and DG, do indeed have a WK-like show (Peter Pan, Ryogokutan, and Final Gate, respectively). It depends on how you structure you schedule.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MikeSc" data-cite="MikeSc" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51774" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I know what you mean. And I know that my season finale is supposed to be "the big one."<p> </p><p> It just feels like the G-1 style tournament always trumps that tour for great matches/matchups and the epic nature of it.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's a bigger tour but the winner of the G1 is almost like the Royal Rumble winner. Now it's the lead up to Wrestle Kingdom from that point.</p>

<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>

I live in Japan so it’s a bit more normal for us to just really think: Events vs Tournaments, but I can understand what you mean.</p><p> </p><p>

The nice thing is, the winner of the G1 has to defend that contract all the way up to Wrestle Kingdom event - so your Championship match come the season finale may not even be what you think it is.</p>

The one thing I would say is the the season finale is not supposed to be the longest tour, it's supposed to the best show. New Japan runs two or three tour shows at most leading up to Wrestle Kingdom, tour length has nothing to do with it.

My season finale is my best show because it's stacked from top to bottom with singles/tag/title matches and no filler. An average tour-ending event throughout the year will have three or four actual matches and the rest multi-tag filler.

The one thing I would say is the the season finale is not supposed to be the longest tour, it's supposed to the best show. New Japan runs two or three tour shows at most leading up to Wrestle Kingdom, tour length has nothing to do with it.

My season finale is my best show because it's stacked from top to bottom with singles/tag/title matches and no filler. An average tour-ending event throughout the year will have three or four actual matches and the rest multi-tag filler.

Exactly. The G1 Final show has some big matches but a lot are just filler like a normal big show. WK has no filler, and has every single title on the line.

Every big show I run has 3-4 singles matches and a big tag. Unless circumstances prevent it I have every title defended on all of the tour enders. So I guess the only "special" thing about my season finale is that I have it built up to with the big singles and tag tournaments.

Every big show I run has 3-4 singles matches and a big tag. Unless circumstances prevent it I have every title defended on all of the tour enders. So I guess the only "special" thing about my season finale is that I have it built up to with the big singles and tag tournaments.

Well that's on you then. The finale mechanic is meant to simulate how real world promotions like NJPW have a season finale.

Yeah, I started looking at the roster and the sheer amount of main event guys and how that might be hurting some aspects of things. I will probably start throwing more 6-mans on the big shows (except for a couple of them) and alternate singles/tag title defenses on tours.

That deal with the winner of the G-1 having to defend that up until Wrestle Kingdom is a nice detail I didn't know. Makes for a good run of singles matches with meaning up to the big show.

Yes.

I have all of my titles being defended on the season finale so it is the biggest show of the year(held in December). That is the only event like that but I do have other events where numerous titles are defended. So, while it is the biggest show, it is not significantly larger than all of the other events.

The G1 type tour I have is the longest one(3 months compared to 1 month for all others) but it is its own thing. It is more a setup for the future because you will have guys pinning champions and rivalries started. To me, the G1 type tournament feels like the beginning of the season even though it technically is not in NJPW. In my TEW game, I have the G1 type tournament after the finale and it kicks off the year. The winner gets the title shot in the next big event.

G1 is much more interesting to me than Wrestle Kingdom so I can see where you're coming from but it is definitely not a finale. The belts are the main items and the number and types defended lead to more prestige for the event. The finale is all about the event rather than the tour. It does not quite work out in game but the reason it is like that is because of $$$. They will make more money having 1 huge event than they would having 12 huge events a year. It is artificial scarcity in a way.

---

I'm not a big fan of defending the contract in NJPW because if someone were to win it away from the owner like that, it would seem like less of an accomplishment in getting the title shot(win one fight over winning a whole tournament) and it would also lessen the impact of winning the tournament. I understand that it sets up reasons for singles but I do not like the kayfabe concept.

Similarly though, I have a secondary belt that is fought for and defended continuously outside of any seasons and it is similar to the contract. It is also kind of similar to some TV titles. Defending the belt 2 times gives you a world title shot but, to both defend and compete for the title, you can not be in any tournaments. So you have to choose a path to the title. The belt is vacated after 2 defenses. It is a good ongoing reason for singles matches and I usually have the 3/4 place guys in tournaments compete for either the vacated belt or as a challenger. It can headline some tours since it is more like a 1.5 tier belt with all of the top guys winning and challenging for it and it makes more sense for it to be defended often over a world title.

I'm not a big fan of defending the contract in NJPW because if someone were to win it away from the owner like that, it would seem like less of an accomplishment in getting the title shot(win one fight over winning a whole tournament) and it would also lessen the impact of winning the tournament. I understand that it sets up reasons for singles but I do not like the kayfabe concept.

The kayfabe reasoning that I understand behind this is that the winner of the G1 has to avenge his losses from the G1 before going for the belt. I really like this because it can set up a lot of really unique singles that wouldn't normally make sense. Whenever I book a G1 or G1 like event I always choose who I am going to have win, then I choose who's going to beat him. I've never liked the whole give up a belt to challenge for another belt, but everyone has a preference and your's is interesting.

Yeah. The average tour ender in New Japan would have three or four singles matches with a couple of titles on the line. But the flip side of that is they have more than 12 of these events, so the titles still get defended fairly often. The default schedule in game for Japanese C-Verse companies isn't really realistic.

So a company should have between 15-20 "big shows" with each one having a couple title matches except the couple of biggest shows have more. In New Japan the top title gets defended around six times per year, nowhere near every show. Lots of shows are main evented by the Intercontinental or Openweight titles, and the world title is never defended at the final of any tournament. The tournament final is always the main event.

I like to have three-four big shows a year. I talked to Dalton yesterday and we discussed a nice puro schedule for his private game in TEW and i said him to him that there's no patent what a puro schedule should look like.

Like i said at the beginning, i like to have three-four bigger shows. In my White Canvas diary i booked like i love my puro schedule. I like to have a big birthday party, so January was my go 2 month. Not because of Wrestle Kingdom, just because you start most C-Verse saves in January. I did my big round robin tournament in March until April and i like to have a big show in May. Why? Because in May is the golden week a big holiday week in Japan where some promotions are running bigger event also. I love me some summer event as well so i do a big summer event in July , too. Not because of the G1, just because i like to have a big summer show. I have an "New Japan Cup, Ōdō Tournament" in September which lead directly to a big show outside of Tokyo. At the end of the your i don't return to my homebase until the final of my tag league, which i scheduled to happen in December. That's just my personal taste of having the tourney at the end of the year to rest some singles stars for the birthday show in January.

Most of the time i'm doing 7-9 "road to" events to heaten up some stories and feuds. In my diary i only post the shows which are going to be televised, mostly 2-4 shows. The others are scheduled as "tour" shows in-game.

Here and there i like to have some standalone shows , which are smaller and in smaller cities or regions. Also i always do an subsidiary like LION'S GATE , Grown Up or Pro Wrestling SEM to feature some younger guys a bit more to a tiny crowd. I like it, it is not neccessary!

<p>I have two shows for sure that all the titles are defended on. The season finale and a tour ender called "Test of Champions." Seems only fair you see all the champions there.</p><p> </p><p>

I do like the idea of streamlining things and making sure shows are focused on either the tournament or the "gimmick". For instance I have a tour that ends in a four-way elimination match (the only one of the year) that comes with it's own title. Since it comes right after the G-1 type event it makes sense to have the winner defend that contract in that match.</p><p> </p><p>

It also leaves things open to do something where you run a singles-tag-singles set-up with a guy finally winning the big match after beating the tag partner the big show before, etc.</p>