New promotion from scratch?

I just finished an in-game year with a promotion started from scratch, and I'm having fun with it. I like starting a promotion from the ground-up because I feel like it's easier to manage the smaller roster that you have to limit yourself to at first, and it's really satisfying when your workers start to get more popular and put in better performances.

Has anybody started a new promotion from scratch? If so how has it worked out for you?

I mainly play custom promotions, because I like to build my own legacy.

However, in order to make things more interesting and not the same game start every time I do two things :

- I always sim the first year, whatever happens.

- After the first year passed, I check the Economy and Wrestling Industry of where I want to open my company. If both are not "rising", I continue to simulate, month by month, until they are.

Sure, it may take some times to finally being able to play. But available workers at times may vary and opening your company when both the Economy and Wrestling Industry are rising makes sense to me (who would open a company just when people are losing money and have no interest in wrestling ?) and make a better start since finance and growth are easier to manage/achieve until I'm stable enough.

Also, adding mods like India, YTD Workers, Female add-on etc. make starting a company even better.

Starting from scratch is actually about the only way I've ever played the game. Create myself as a character, and create my promotion where I want it.

I know some like to start a promotion with $0, but I like to be a little realistic about it in the sense that no one is ever going to start a promotion in the real world with no money, but rather have some money to back it and run it, so I give myself $5M to start with. This way I know I won't immediately fail after one year (and waste time).

With that, I do start my promotion with 0 popularity, 0 prestige and 0 momentum.

I consider the early days of my promotion as a "growth fed" for talent and keep the roster low. So I hire younger wrestlers (with a few veterans mixed in) to let them grow, if they decide to move on to larger companies, then great, it allows me to mix things up a bit. I do also create a low-level Dojo to bring in a couple wrestlers a year as well.

The early years can be rough and slow to build because you can't get Broadcasting deals. Running two event shows a month is taking me about 3 years to reach "Tiny".

I had one save in TEW16 that lasted about 12-15 years (can't remember exactly how long), but by then we were mid-sized, had broadcasting deals, were making money, could put on good shows, could hire semi-high-level wrestlers, etc.

Personally, it's about the only way I like playing the game.

Best way to play. Play as a millionaire owner and put some cash in that account even if you are starting at tiny or whatever.

The only issue I have run into is not falling into the same match ups on every save. Best way to do that is start it in different areas to see where you get the best workers you want to use. Mid South has been my favorite area so far. A lot of talent. Well, a lot of workers.

Best way to play. Play as a millionaire owner and put some cash in that account even if you are starting at tiny or whatever.

The only issue I have run into is not falling into the same match ups on every save. Best way to do that is start it in different areas to see where you get the best workers you want to use. Mid South has been my favorite area so far. A lot of talent. Well, a lot of workers.

Great Lake is also a good "beginner friendly" area. 90% fan potential and no company present at start. I rarely saw another company opening there.

Great Lake is also a good "beginner friendly" area. 90% fan potential and no company present at start. I rarely saw another company opening there.

Had not tested there. I like some of the workers in the Mid South (plus SW and SE have a handful as well). I also like to share/borrow from QAW for my fledgling women's division.

Who are the unemployed workers in the Midwest?

I often create my own promotion from scratch. I take an existing character in the CVerse that I think would make sense to own and book a promotion (Marv Earnest, Robert Oxford, the Natural [especially since 2020 has said he's basically waiting to do that] and other people of the same ilk. I try to put my company in an area that isn't being serviced by a local wrestling company -- Great Lakes, Mid West, Hawaii, South East -- I tend to avoid South West, Tri State, Mid Atlantic, and New England (I'll run Mid South but when I do it's with a men's only roster so as not to step on QAW's toes). I follow the same strategy if I don't want to be in the US -- I find a location that doesn't have a local company and I plop down there. I try to only sign unemployed workers and try mostly to have a roster of youngsters with a couple of unemployed veterans (guys like Art Reed, Acid, or Conner Threepwood in 2020) who can main event and be the stabilizing force in my company.

The trick is to just watch your monetary output. Stick to shorter shows -- hour/hour and a half and a smaller number of matches. 4 or 5. If you're starting at 0 popularity, your shows can suck and still gain you popularity so you don't have to worry about presenting a bunch of high quality matches (don't try to suck, but it gives you room to let young/inexperienced/not great workers get better). Avoid having a training school/dojo until you're turning a profit that can afford it.

This is assuming you're wanting to create a new promotion from scratch that is starting at 0 popularity. The rules are different if you're wanting to start with a higher popularity.

I usually start my own promotion if I want to play Small/Tiny. Default rosters have too many wrestlers on them for what I need. I like putting together a lean, cost effective show.

Typically I run in debt for the first year. An quick run of early shows, at a loss, will bump up your popularity and pay off long term with monthly sponsorships.

Start with whatever you want to. If you’re nervous about debt in your first year, just edit your balance back to 0 to simulate the owner (you) putting money into the business. You should make money before long anyway regardless of where you start if you don’t splurge on everything and play it as a business.

I have learned one thing doing local to global and Road to Glory games in 2020. Free shows, run free shows. Your growth is based on how many people go to your shows. If you make your shows free more people show up. You are going to lose money anyway so do free shows. As you get more popularity you will gain more sponsorship money, your ticket money won't matter.

Also on show a month. In 2016 you could spam shows and grow quickly. in 2020 your growth is limited by your size. At the smallest levels you can only gain 1 or 2 pop a month and you can do that in one show.

I have learned one thing doing local to global and Road to Glory games in 2020. Free shows, run free shows. Your growth is based on how many people go to your shows. If you make your shows free more people show up. You are going to lose money anyway so do free shows. As you get more popularity you will gain more sponsorship money, your ticket money won't matter.

Also on show a month. In 2016 you could spam shows and grow quickly. in 2020 your growth is limited by your size. At the smallest levels you can only gain 1 or 2 pop a month and you can do that in one show.

Very cheap tickets can do a similar job if you want to keep some ticket income coming in. I tend to run very cheap for 6 months, then bump up to cheap tickets. With a positive sponsorship product I don't have problems getting back into the black within year one.

One of the big things is making sure you're not paying travel expenses on your workers, as these can add up real quickly - especially if they're travelling from outside the country. You tend to have three areas you can sign from without paying travel that change depending on your home base region (look at your spillover regions as they're generally the same). By signing cheap guys who don't need travel expenses you can turn a profit pretty quickly.

Very cheap tickets can do a similar job if you want to keep some ticket income coming in. I tend to run very cheap for 6 months, then bump up to cheap tickets. With a positive sponsorship product I don't have problems getting back into the black within year one.

I ran two shows per month on very cheap. I gained 3 pop every 2 months. I don’t know what the limit is, but I would suspect it’s only 2. I’ve seen people run 1 show on free and gain 2. Think it’s more profitable to run 2 on very cheap to be honest.