Bob Backlund:Return to Tradition

Long time lurker, new poster, I've been enjoying the DOTT scenario and thought I'd give it a go with The Golden Boy and see how it turns out, feedback is most welcome. [B]World Overness:[/B] USA:80 Canada:60 Mexico:55 Japan:75 U.K.:50 Europe:50 Australia:50 [B]Skills and Abilities:[/B] Spirit:82 Power:78 Technique:90 Speed:54 Psychology:75 Stamina:98 Toughness:88 Charisma:58 Microphone:58 Safety:97 Looks:58 Respect:90 [B]Relationships:[/B] Friends with Arnold Skaaland Loyalty to Verne Gagne Dislike for Jim Crockett Jr. [B]Current Contracts:[/B] World Wrestling Federation(P.P.A.,$30,000 per,Upper Midcarder,Babyface) The only change I made was I changed his birthdate to match his OWW profile,so he is now 33 1/2 years old. I'll kick things off in the next post.

I remember watching Bob Backlund at the small arena in Attleboro, Massachusetts when I was a kid many, many moons ago. He wasn't even the WWWF champ back then, Pedro Morales was. Just in case you didn't know, WWWF stood for World Wide Wrestling Federation, the origional name before the "Wide" and one of the "W"s were taken out. Good luck with him.

[QUOTE]I remember watching Bob Backlund at the small arena in Attleboro, Massachusetts when I was a kid many, many moons ago. He wasn't even the WWWF champ back then, Pedro Morales was. Just in case you didn't know, WWWF stood for World Wide Wrestling Federation, the origional name before the "Wide" and one of the "W"s were taken out.[/QUOTE] Yep,I've been a wrestling fan for many a year,I spent many evenings down at Agricultural Hall back when they used to tape a months worth of Superstars at a time there.I can just barely remember being an extremely little boy and seeing the crowd go nuts after Superstar Graham won the WWF Title with his foot on the ropes. Anyway,thanks for the support,I'll kick this baby off later this evening when I get back from work.

(Well Boon,the bad news is the version I have begins in Feb. '84,so Backlund has already lost his title and Hulkamania was born.Thats ok though,aside from that one really wierd run in the AWA in '85(I think)Backlund disappeared from the business for about 9 years,it lets me play out a "What If?" scenario and I have some plans for Bob I think you will find interesting.Anyway,let the show begin!) "I guess I should tell you a little something about myself and what has lead up to this moment:My name is Bob Backlund,in college I was an NCAA Champion in the sport of Amatuer Wrestling.After graduating and having a hard time landing a good job due to my sub-par reading skills,I decided to follow up on that success and enter the world of Professional Wrestling.I spoke with Verne Gagne,a promoter for the popular American Wrestling Association in my home state of Minnesota,and former acclaimed amatuer wrestler.Mr.Gagne was thrilled at the opportunity of training someone with my amatuer background to enter the sport professionally and soon I was spending my days at his camp suffering through relentless wind sprints and step running to get me prepared to work in the professional style.The work was hard but not unbearable, and more importantly,Verne instilled in me a love and respect for the history of the business,explaining the delicate system of regional territories,how they had worked for years,and why they were neccessary for wrestling to be successful in this country.Though he could be a bit rough around the edges at times,Verne really was a mentor to me and I will always owe him a debt of gratitude. Finally,in '73,I finished my training and was ready to make my professional debut,working for Verne's AWA.Standing a little over 6 feet tall and weighing in at about 240 pounds,I was classified as a middleweight,just large enough to compete in the Heavyweight division under most "official" rules.I did well enough for Verne,but never really main evented.So like all wrestlers who were not called on to "carry their company",eventually the time came for me to "tour the territories" and try my luck.I spent a few years down south working the territories of the prestigious National Wrestling Alliance and this where I got my first taste of the gold: winning Tag Team Championships in Florida and Georgia, and a few other areas before I found my way to Vincent J McMahon's World Wide Wrestling Federation,a small regional promotion based in the Northeast U.S.,particually in the New Jersey/New York/Pennsylvania area.It was for the WWWF where I got my biggest break. In 1978,I defeated the sensational and powerful Billy"Superstar"Graham for the WWWF World Heavyweight Championship.I held that belt and carried the WWWF for 5 long years,competing not only in both the biggest and smallest venues across the Northeast,but even across the world as I travelled to Japan to defend my title against that country's top wrestlers,and in the U.S. competing against the NWA World Champion Ric Flair in a number of "Title Unification" matches.My name and picture were freqently featured in all the wrestling magazines and my name spread,gaining me a certain measure of worldwide fame. A few months back,in '83, McMahon sold his interest in the WWWF(which had since been renamed to the World Wrestling Federation or WWF) to his son, Vincent K. McMahon,making him the owner of the company.The son,however, was nothing like the father,he dreamed of creating an entirely different product and taking it to a level of global exposure unheard of in the business,at the expense of anyone who stood in his way.Unlike his father,with whom a handshake was as good as any written contract,the younger Vince thought nothing of a double cross,if it was to his benefit.He asked me to lose my world title to newcomer and fellow Gagne trainee,Khasrow Vassirri,known in the WWF as The Iron Sheik.A plan was worked up where I would be "injured",causing me to lose the title,and in December of 1983,The Iron Sheik won the WWF Heavywight Title from me after forcing me to submit to his brutal finisher, The Camel Clutch.That was alright though,as Sheik was like me,an accomplished amatuer wrestler who understood and respected the business. Within a month after that,a new guy McMahon had brought in from the AWA and Japan,Hulk Hogan,was pushed to the top and soon won the WWF Title from The Iron Sheik at Madison Square Guard in January of 1984,while I was relegated back to the midcard.Hogan, while great in interviews,was a less than competent wrestler,and his character was portrayed as a cartoonish,almost superhuman, good guy, preaching the morals of "saying your prayers and taking your vitamins" to children before going to off to defend the WWF from the latest super evil bad guy threat.This marked the dawn of a new era for the WWF and wrestling,an era where it was no longer promoted as a sport,but rather a soap opera like atmosphere where entertaining the fans with interviews and kits was placed far,far above a man's actual talent in the ring.That left a sour taste in my mouth,wrestling had been,is,and always will be a sport,an athletic competition,not some goofy soap opera aimed at little kids and old ladies. A month had passed since then and with the end of my contract looming I had a decision to make: Do I stay here,where the money is good,but cheapen myself,and the business in the process?Or go elsewhere,where this "revolution" had thankfully not caught on yet and it was still treated as the sport it was meant to be,for less money but maintain my pride? My Name is Bob Backlund,and this my story...."

(Thanks for the vote of confidence Jon:) ) "What to do?What to do?"...[I]That was the question that had been plauging me since McMahon started this whole "Sports Entertainment Revolution" last month....on one hand the money WAS good,but this guy was making a mockery of the sport I gave 11 years of my life for....With a few days over 2 months left on my current contract I resolved to put things out of my mind for the time being and fulfill my current obligations to the best my ability: by putting on the best darn matches I could the way I was taught...the traditional way.As for whether to stay or go, I'd cross that bridge when I came to it...[/I] [B][U]Tuesday Week 1,1984[/U][/B] [B][U]Teusday Night Titans:[/U][/B] I reported to the arena,but Vince decided not to use me tonight.I took the opportunity to talk to my fellow workers and gauge how they felt about McMahon's "Vision" (Side note:To promote a bit of realism,I only ask for tips from one person for each type per week for now) [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Monday:[/U] MLW-Rene Goulet defeated Angelo Mosca for the NWA Canadian Heavyweight Title UWA:"Black Magic"Norman Smiley defeated Juan Rodriguez for the UWA Lightweight Title [U]Teusday:[/U] PNW:Tonga Kid defeated Dean Malenko for the PNW TV Title [B][U]Wednesday Week 1,1984[U][/B] [B][U]WWF In Your Neighborhood:[/U][/B] Again I arrive at the arena to find I was not booked for tonight,I spend my time talking to my fellow workers backstage. [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Wednesday:[/U] MACW:Assassin#2 and George South defeated Mark Youngblood and Bill Mulkey for the Mid Atlantic U.S. Tag Team Titles On the same show,Ivan Koloff and Ric Flair defeated The Briscoe Brothers for NWA World Tag Team Titles AWA:Stan Lane defeated Steve Keirn for the AWA TV Title NJPW:Black Tiger and Isamu Teranishi defeated Yosiaki Fujiwara and Kuniaki Kobayashi for the I.W.G.P. Tag Team Titles CWF: Dory Funk Jr. and Jos Leduc defeated Blackjack Mulligan and Barry Windham for the Florida Tag Team Titles Central States Wrestling:Killer Karl Krupp defeated Moondog Rex for the Central States Heavyweight Title On the same show Timothy Flowers defeated Art Crews for the Central States TV Title CSW:Makhan Singh defeated Steve DiSalvo for the British Commonwealth Heavywieght Title WCW:Roger Alexander defeated Dorsey Lagner for the Australian Light Heavyweight Title ASW(UK):Rick Wiseman defeated Terry Jowett for the British Empire/Commonwealth Middleweight Title

[B][U]Sunday Week 1,Feb 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]WWF Challenge:[/U][/B] Verne called me Friday...."Bobby.." he said,"I heard all about what that McMahon clown is up to,he'll be the death of this business if he keeps that up.You and I are alot alike,we have the same respect for this business...Kid..."[I]Verne Paused a moment before continuing[/I]"How about coming to work for someone who has some respect for this great sport?How about coming to work for me?" I would have loved to have said yes,thing was Verne wanted me to sign an exclusive written contract; I hand;t decided what I was going to do when my contract came up, but until then I planned on completing my current obligaton to the WWF,and I told Verne such. "I'd like to have you onboard now,but I can respect what you are saying.It's good to see you understand how to handle your business in a fair and upright manner....Listen,when the does comes...if you do decide to leave, you just call me and a spot on my roster is yours,you hear?" was Verne's reply.We said goodbye and ended the call but that got me thinking: even if McMahon wasn't using me lately, I was still a big enough name that other companies, companies with a little respect for the business, were willing to offer me employment..... Meanwhile,on Sunday,I again reported to the arena to find I was not booked.As I sat in the locker room chatting with a few of the other guys,I re-played over Friday's conversation with Verne in my head over and over again..... [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Thursday:[/U] PNW:Tonga Kid's title reign is short lived as he is defeated by Billy Two Eagles for the PNW TV Title SECW:Billy Joe Travis defeated Rick Gibson for the Alabama Heavyweight Title [U]Friday:[/U] MACW:Angelo Mosca Jr defeated Tommy Lane for the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title NJPW:Animal Hamaguchi defeated Kuniaki Kobayashi for the WWF Jr Heavyweight Title WCW:Tor Kamata defeated Dale Lewis for the NWA Australasian Heavyweight Title [U]Saturday:[/U] SWCW:Chick Donovan defeated Tony Falk for the SWCW TV Title ASW(UK):Rick Wiseman defeated Terry Jowett for the European Middleweight Title [U]Sunday:[/U] WCW: Frank Manley defeated Roger Alexander for the Australian Light Heavyweight Title [B][U]Major Weekly News:[/U][/B] [U]Friday:[/U] -Bruiser Brody was let go by AJPW -Long Time SECW announcer Les Thatcher was signed to a written deal by WWF -All time great Don Leo Jonathon was signed to a written deal by WWF -AWA announces it has signed deals with the legendary Mr.Wrestling and Gordon Solie -MACW announces it has signed Ted DiBiase to a written deal (And What's the deal with Steve Stack? Ever game i have played the WWF or AWA falls all over themselves to sign the guy to a written contract inside the first week)

[B][U]Tuesday Week 2,1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]Tuesday Night Titans:[/U][/B] I arrive at the arena and check the booking sheet; finally I have been booked, in a tag match with Bruno Sammartino,against Tiger Chung Lee and Sika.I chat a bit with a few of the guys,in particular Jesse Ventura,who showed me some pointers that should help me in my interviews(+1 Microphone) then I'm off to the ring... [B][U]Match 1:Bob Backlund&Bruno Sammartino vs Tiger Chung Lee&Sika[/U][/B] Tiger starts off with Bruno and gains the early advantage,working Bruno over with a series of Face and Hammer Locks.Bruno takes the advantage after slipping a hammerlock and clubs him to the ground,quickly following him down to clamp on a rear chinlock.Bruno picks up Lee and slams him to the canvas,but misses an elbow drop.Lee zeroes in on the freshly injured arm and clamps on a grounded hammerlock.Bruno slips away and hits a forearm to the back of the head but Lee slips a Backbreaker attempt.Irish Whip by Lee...reversed..Bruno hits a Shoulder Block then follows it up with a nice suplex.Bruno goes for the Rear Chinlock again but Lee slips it,climbs the turnbuckles and hits the Flying Standing Knee!Bruno recovers quickly though,slips behind Lee and softens him up with a couple Forearms to the HEad before scooping him up for a vicious Backbreaker.Bruno misses a Grounded Back Kick,Lee tries to get him up for a Gutwrech Suplex only to have Bruno fall on top of him....1....2....kick out!Lee takes the advantage after countering a Kick to the Gut with a Single Leg Trip and works Bruno's arm on the ground.Bruno finally powers out and goes for a Suplex,only to have Lee block it and tag out.Sika comes in dominates Bruno with a variety of Facelocks,Headbutts and punches until Bruno shifts his weight during a Bodyslam attempt ,causing him to fall on top for 1 count.Bruno follows up with a Bodyslam of his own,then tags me in.I immediately go to work on the big Samon's neck area until he powers his way back up,then counter his Gutwrech Suplex attempt by shifting my weight,which gets me a 2 count.I got to work on his arm with an arm wringer until he toss me into the corner and bangs my head off the turnbuckle.He beats me down with his brawling tactics but again I shift my weight when he goes for a Gutwrench Suplex,getting me a 2 count.I work his arm a bit,then decide to try something a little different: with his arm held,I get him off balance then reel him in and smack him in the face with a Back Elbow,it works like a charm and judging from the crowd,didn't look hald bad either.We go back and forth until finally I land a European Uppercut,then decide to show Sika how it's done by administed a Gutwrech Suplex.I try to work him on the ground but he covers and floors me with chop. I get right back up though and catch him with a Drop Toe Hold Facelock.Sika slips away from me,then tosses me to the corner before tagging out.Tiger comes in tries to hit me with his shoulder but I slip it,which leads to a sequence of hold reversals until finally I get him with a Rear Amatuer Takedown.He won't stay down though and we end up reversing each other again,until finally I clamp on a Hammerlock and drive him into the corner.He sneaks out though and trips me,but I get right back up and go to work his arm,before dropping him with an Arm Wring Takedown before applying the Head and Arm Straight Lock.I pick him back up and work his arm some more,then show off my skills with a Step Over Arm Wringer Takedown right into a Straddled Arm Bar.I pick him up and decide to try out something else new: grabbing him by the head I lift up my arm and hit him on top of the head with the point of my elbow,just like I'd seen Dusty Rhodes do a million times.We reverse each other a bit,then I nail him a Back Suplex,to the delight of the crowd.Tiger gets to his feet and trips me,then I slip behind him into a Drop Toe Hold...right into the bottom turnbuckle.Lee is quick to rexover and trip me though,before tagging out.Fortunately,Sika is a bit slow getting over to me and I fight my way away from him to make a tag of my own.Bruno gets in there and slugs it out with Sika,Bruno wins and picks him in a Gutwrech which he turns into a nice looking Backbreaker.Bruno doesn't come out so well on the following exchange as Sika basicallt gets him down and stomps him until Bruno slips away and tags me.Sika goes nuts and beats me down with brawling tactics and illegal chokes for a bit before I finally get him under control with a Hammlock Single Leg takedown and go work on the big man's arms.He manages to sneak out a Hammerlock Back Breaker though,and choke me a bit before tagging in Tiger.I catch him offguard with a Gutwrech Brackbreaker but miss an elbow drop,which leaves me in trouble.Luckily,I am able to slip away right away and tag in Bruno.Bruno tries to work him but Tiger counter with a variety of holds until Bruno finally gets behind him for a beautiful Double Backbreaker.He then picks him up and shows off his awesome strength with a Flap Jack.Tiger gets back up and tries to brawl with Bruno,which only makes him mad....look out...it's the Bruno Frenzy!Tiger is in trouble,but Bruno can't quite seem to finish him off,with Tiger picking his shots until soon Bruno needs to tag me in.Tiger is slippery one though,and manages to drop me,he then climbs the turnbuckles and tries jump down on me with an Axe Handle,so I do the first thing that comes to mind: I grab him in a quick over the shoulder face lock in mid-air and drop down,his jaw impacts my shoulder rather hard and the crowd oohs in acceptance.I qucikly go to make a cover but Tiger kicks out at the very last second....as he stands back up,I manage to rush him before he is ready though,and apply The Crossface Chicken Wing,Tiger has nowhere to go and submits at the 36:00 mark. [B]Winner:Bob Backlund&Bruno Sammartino[/B] [B]Match Rating:C+[/B] After the match,I spoke with Bobby Heenan.he went over the match with me,pointing out what I did right what I could have done better,it really made sense and next time I think I will be able to perform a little better(+1 Psychology) [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Monday:[/U] CWF:Superstar Billy Graham defeated Billy Jack Haynes for the Florida Heavyweight Title

[QUOTE=Moderndaywarrior]Yep,I've been a wrestling fan for many a year,I spent many evenings down at Agricultural Hall back when they used to tape a months worth of Superstars at a time there.I can just barely remember being an extremely little boy and seeing the crowd go nuts after Superstar Graham won the WWF Title with his foot on the ropes. Anyway,thanks for the support,I'll kick this baby off later this evening when I get back from work.[/QUOTE] I loved it when Superstar Billy Graham won the belt. He is my all-time favorite. His "brother", "Crazy" Luke Graham and he were in Attleboro many times. The crowd would always chant "Crazy Luke" whenever he was at the ring and he would go nuts. My dad, when he was younger, used to set up the ring over there and became friends of the promoter and his son. We were garenteed (sp) seats every Friday night. We sat two rows away from the ring.

I remember most of Billy's run when he was managed by The Grand Wizard...man,those promos were pure gold. It's a shame Billy ended up in such poor health,he could have done a lot more than he did in his later years,esp. down in Florida with Sullivan. [B][U]Wednesday Week 2,1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]WWF In Your Neighborhood:[/U][/B] I check the booking sheet when I arrive and I am booked again, this time against a man many say is being groomed as a future lead heel, Paul Orndorff.I chat until match time,then hit the ring... [B][U]Match 2:Bob Backlund vs. Paul Orndorff:[/U][/B] This one starts off quick with us exchanging amatuer holds until I manage to land a Short Arm Back Elbow,but Paul is right back up and drops me with a Gutwrech Suplex.He tries to kick me in the back but I move and grab him in a loose headlock,then twist and throw him over my hip.Paul won't stay down though,and irish whips me,then follows up with a sharp elbow to the back of my head.Niether of us can get a hold of each other for a minute,until I finally I slip behind him and deliver a solid backbreaker.Paul has a history of back/chest injuries so that move keeps him down long enough for me to finally start weaking his arms as I clamp on the Head and Arm Straight Lock.We exhange holds,with me working on Mr.Wonderful's arm as he tries to weaken my neck for his infamous Pilediver.I get the better of him though,putting on a clinic with various arm holds.I feel gutsy so I ascend the turnbuckles and leap off with a Flying Double Axe Handle.I go for the Hammerlock but Paul counters with a Gutwrech Suplex and goes right back to work on my neck.I fight back and manage to reverse an irish whip,then hit a Hip Toss.Paul manages to slip my headlock and beats me down with his brawling but I slip away on the mat,twist his arm into a Hammerlock,then Drive it into the turnbuckles.Paul is starting to tire and I take the advantage,unleashing a Flurry of Forearms as he slumps in the corner,then Straddle him and apply an Arm Bar.He is starting to favor that arm so I decide to start working his neck to set up my own finisher,but he catches me off guard with a Dropkick,followed by a Clothesline.I fight back but Paul goes nuts,punching out of everything I try until finally I duck behind a wild swing and get him up in a Back Suplex.Paul sneaks away and tries to brawl with me but this time I am ready,duck his punch,and hook him up for a Double Underhook Suplex.I decide to break out a bit of my amatuer knowledge,so I grab him in a Half Nelson and take him down,then Further it with a Wristlock.Paul tires to suprise me with a Dropkick but I am ready,sidestep him, and he struggles to get back up,grab him in a Gutwrench Backbreaker.I manage to stay behind as he gets up,then really begin to work on his neck as I apply a classic maneuver,the Rear Head Chancery.I pick him up and to the delight of the fans,show my strength with a thunderous Bodyslam.Paul gets away from me though,and takes over with a Toss to the Corner before going to work on my neck again with Headlocks and Facelocks.Finally I duck under an Elbow into a Drop Toe Hold/Facelock combo.Taking a cue from the impromptu counter I landed last match,I pick Orndorff up with a double handed grip around the head,then quickly lift him and drive his face back into the mat.Paul shakes it off as he rises and begins punching me,punctuated with a running head to the head as I stuggle to stand.He measures me up and tries to drop and elbow on my throat by I roll away and capitalize on the mistake by working his arm on the mat.Paul slugs me as I pick him up,then floors me with a big punch,stands over me and exchanges insults with fans as he flicks his sweat onto me,which draws many boos.He tries to drop an elbow but I've had enough time to scout him and roll out of the way,then again work his arm,which by now must be really sore after missing two consecutive elbow drops.We come back to neutral and immediately I sneak behind him and lock in a Sleeper,but Mr.Wonderful will not submit.I try to suplex Paul but he won't go up,then again begins brawling with me,again catching me with a running knee as I try to stand.He goes to well once to often though,as I dodge the next knee,then grab him in an Arm Wringer Step Over Takedown.Paul is right back up and we brawl back and forth until he reaches into his tights while his back is turned and produces some sort of Foreign Object.He takes a wild shot at my face with it but I duck under,and lift him into one of my trademark moves,a Sustained Back Suplex.Paul is stunned,so I pick him,signal to the crowd as I put his head between my knees,and in a moment of irony,I plant Orndorff with a Leaping Piledriver!I can almost hear McMahon in the booth as the ref counts.... ONE TWO THREE HE GOT HI-NO!.....as he stands I clamp in The Crossface Chicken Wing,surely this must be it!Pauls is tough though and won't submit.I get a little sloppy while stalking Paul and he takes over with a Short Arm Clothesline,followed by a Knee Face Driver.A Running Double Axe Handle off the ropes and I am in bad trouble.....Paul flexes and points to his arm, then tries to apply a Big Bear Hug,but I was playing possum; I quickly slip behind him and re-apply The Crossface Chicken Wing in the middle of the ring,causing Orndorff to Submit at 28:00. [B][U]Winner:Bob Backlund[/U][/B] [B][U]Rating: B-[/U][/B] [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Wednesday:[/U] MACW:Assassin#2 defeats Angelo Mosca Jr for the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title

[B][U]Sunday,Week 2, February 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]WWF Challenge:[/U][/B] I am not booked today,which is alright since my ears still ringing from those knees to the head Orndorff gave me....mamn does that guy ever work stiff. [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Friday:[/U] Central States:Porkchop Cash defeats Timothy Flowers for the Central States TV Title [U]Saturday:[/U] MACW:Jimmy Valiant and Bugsy McGraw defeat Seek and Destroy(Assassin#2 and George South) for the Mid-Atlantic U.S. Tag Team Titles WWC:El Gran Apollo defeats King Tonga for the WWC Puerto Rican Heavyweight Title On the same show Abdullah the Butcher defeats Dory Funk Jr for the WWC Universal Heavyweight Title [U]Sunday:[/U] MLW:Tom Jones defeats Sabu for the Canadian TV Title [B][U]Weekly News:[/U][/B] [U]Friday:[/U] MSW:Rick Rude(under written contract) was released WWC:Chicky Starr (under written contract)was released AWA:Annouced they have signed a deal with Luke Graham MACW:Announced they have signed a deal with Gordon Solie CWA:Announced they have signed a deal with Davey Boy smith

[B][U]Tuesday Week 3,February 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]Teusday Night Titans:[/U][/B] For the second show I was not used,I took some time to chat with the guys.On a side note, Andre The Giant defeated "Dr.D"David Schults in a wild and stiff match. [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Monday:[/U] MLW:Cocoa Samoa and Eddie Gilbert defeat Angelo Mosca Jr and Boris Zhukov for the Canadian Open Tag Team Titles PPW:Siva Afi & Dean Ho defeat The SST(Samoan Swat Team/Samu&Fatu) for the Polynesian Pacific Tag Titles

[B][U]Wednesday,Week 3 February 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]WWF In Your Neighborhood:[/U][/B] Tonight I am booked against I man I am familiar with..."Magnificent" Don Muraco.I get a chance to talk to Don before match time,he tells me he is looking forward to our match.I thanked him and complimented him on the excellent promo he gave at the beginning of the show to set the match up."Thanks,Man", Don told me in that laid back surfer-esque voice he was known for,he then gave me some tips on how to cut a really a good promo,they were very helpful(+1 Microphone).It's match time so we head to the Gorilla Position.... [B][U]Match 3:Bob Backlund vs. Don Muraco:[/U][/B] Don floor me with a Knife Edge Chop right off the bat,but I avoid his seated kick and go right to work on his arm with a series of Wristlocks and Arm Wringers.I hit the Arm Wringer Takedown and take it to the mat with the Head and Arm Straight Lock.Muraco gets away but I catch him a Euopean Uppercut,follow by a Short Arm Back Elbow,then right back to work on that arm on the mat.I pick him up and apply and Hammerlock then drive his arm into the Turnbuckle.Muraco pushes me when I try to mount him for a series of punches in the corner however,and takes over with a Facelock,then climbs the turnbuckle and hits me with a wicked Flying Standing Knee.I slip away on the mat and hit him with a Dropkick of my own,then climb the turnbuckles as he gets back up.I singal to the crowd,and attempt to duplicate Don's Flying Knee trick off the top rope,but he dropkicks me out of mid air.Muraco wins a slugfest and catches me several dropkicks until finally I get away on the mat,then regain control with a Standing Arm Lever and begin to work him amatuer style,using Gutwrech Suplexes and Rear Amatuer Takedowns to floor him,then working the arm on the ground.Muraco is tiring but still has plenty in him,as a counters a European Uppercut with a Punch,but I slip right away Drop Toe Hold him into the Turnbuckle.I have him ground and hurt now;I follow up with a Double Knee Rear Chinlock to work the neck,then it is right back to the arm.I pick him up into a Standing Belly To Back Suplex but he recovers and begins brawling,pounding on me with those Forearms.I reverse and Irsh whip soon enough,and as comes off the ropes I show him a little someting Tito Santana taught me as I nail him with the Flying Forearm.Muraco powers way back off the mat and we brawl back and forth,me trying to lock him down,and Muraco hitting me in the throat whenever the ref is not looking,but unable to keep me on the mat until finally I catch him off guard with an Arm Wringer Step Over Takedown and take it right into a Bridging Double Armbar on the mat for a two count.Muraco is back up and we brawl again,Don hits a series of Punches and Kicks and every time I try to fight back he counters with that right hand until I get him off balance and plant a Bionic Elbow so hard he goes down.I quickly pick him up into a Backslide,but it only gets two.Muraco is dazed so I take the opportunity to grab him in a Head Scissors when he starts to stand and take it right into a Single Leg Scissors Lock on the mat.Don won't give up and as he stands,I catch him with a Flurry of Bionic Elbows.That last elbow catches Don hard and he begins to bleed.Muraco is ready to go down yet though andf soon he powers back up and wails on me with chops to the neck before working on my arm.Blood loss starts to catch up to Muraco though,letting me duck under a clothesline as he falls out of the ring.As he stands I get a running start,then slide into him like Rickey Henderson stealing second base,and both feet catch him in the chest.Don recovers and slams my head off the guard rail,which the ref doesn't see,I come back with a Ring Apron Ram,then a Face Crusher before he can recover.I got him with a good swift kick on the ground but he shrugs it off to give me a Stomach Breaker.I sneak right away from him though,and deliver a Gutwrech Backbreaker.That didn't sit too well,as Don goes nuts on me,beating me down and countering everything I try until he hits a Gutwrech Backbreaker of his own and rolls me back in.Muraco spens a little too much time trading insults with the fans a ringside before getting back in and I promtply outmaneuver him and hit my trademark Sustained Back Suplex.I pick him up for a series of European Uppercuts and we brawl until I slip an Arm Bar,I pick him up and hold him on a my shoulder for awhile,the fans are expecting another Back Suplex,but instead I drop him on my knee in a Sustained Atmoic Drop.Muraco escapes on the mar and again brawls with me but when he goes for the Bear Squeeze I slip out and stun the crowd with a Reverse DDT Neckbreaker.Pinfall nets only a two and Muraco is angry,he plants me with a series of punches then picks me up and sends me into the ropes for a Fallaway Slam.I roll away from his attempt to kick me in the head as I stand and scoop him up in a Giant Killer Bodyslam.What follows is an interesting sequence:I go for the Crossface,Muraco counters with a punch,then floors me with a Stomach Breaker and locks in The Boston Crab.I refuse to submit so he switches to The Asiatic Spike,the ref checks but I still refuse to submit.Muraco picks me up for his Inverted Piledriver but I slip away and go for a Crossface with is countered with a Punch.Muraco takes advantage and applies the Big Bear Hug...he hollers for the ref to check me,I still won't submit.Again Muraco goes for his Inverted Piledriver but I scoot through his legs and this time The Crossface Chicken Wing is locked in...the ref checks...Muraco gives up in 28:00! [B][U]Winner:Bob Backlund[/U][/B] [B][U]Rating:B-[/U][/B] [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Wednesday:[/U] CMLL:Mil Mascaras defeats El Satanico for the NWA World Middleweight Title MSW:In what must have been an incredibly stiff match,Steve Williams defeats Kruscher Kruschev for the Mid-South TV Title CWF:Superstar Graham is on a roll:he defeats Dory Funk Jr for the CWF TV Title Central States:Harley Race&Ted Oates defeat The Grapplers for the Central States Tag Team Titles WCW:Curtis Iaukea defeats Tor Kamata for the NWA Australasian Heavyweight Title (Wow,nice bunch of at least watchable matches there)

[B][U]Sunday,Week 3 February 1984:[/U][/B] [U]WWF Challenge:[/U] I was not booked today,I enjoy the day off,taking time to speak with Don Muraco as he and I talk about our last match.I also spoke with Freddie Blassie;he and I had a good chuckle over how Vince McMahon takes a guy who only a few years earlier was working super bloody Steel Cage matches against John Tolos and books him as "The Classy One,The Fashion Plate",then talked at length about "The Old Days", we really enjoyed ourselves (Bob Backlund has become Friends with Freddie Blassie) [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Friday:[/U] HCW:Jim Duggan defeats Kim Duk for the HCW Championship [B][U]Weekly News:[/U][/B] [U]Friday,Week 3:[/U] -WWF released David Sammartino (Gee,I wonder why?:) ) -WWF signed Nick Patrick and Stan Stasiak to Written contacts -Arn Anderson will begin a tour of Japan shortly,he has signed with NJPW

[B][U]Tuesday Week 4, February 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]Tuesday Night Titans:[/U][/B] I arrive and find myself booked in a very odd 8 man Tag match tonight.I discuss the fine art of the promo with Lord Alfred Hayes(+1 Microphone) and spend some time getting know Big John Studd(Back Backlund has become friends with Big John Studd)before I spot a few guys in the match and we put our heads together,trying to find a way to make this odd mish-mish of talents of styles watchable before we hit the ring.. [B][U]Match 4:Bob Backlund,Don Muraco,Ivan Putski&George Steele vs. B.Brian Blair,Iron Mike Sharpe,Swede Hanson,&Tiger Chung Lee:[/U][/B] Ivan and Swede start it off, The Big Swede immediately goes to work on the arm of Polish Power.Hanson has him tied up fairly well until Putski powers free and hits a few Forearms before simply Clubbing him to the mat.Ivan hits a few kicks to the chest and kick area before Swede moves out of the way and grabs a Facelock,leaving Putski stunned long enough for him to tag in Blair.A classic Speed vs. Power matchup follows as Blair repeatedly grounds Putski with his speed and agility until finally Putski catches him clean with a Clubbing Bow and tags me in.Blair is a on fire though, and grounds me with his speed,then works my legs.Everything I try,Blair is one step ahead with a counter until finally I hit a Gutwrech Suplex and make the tag out to Steele.The Animal comes in and promptly takes care of business with some Forearms to the back and head area,mixed in with a Hammerlock,and finally he rakes Blair's eyes on the top rope,and Blair begins to slow down.Blair is just playing possum though,as he hits Steele with a Punch out of nowhere for a Flying Knife Edge Chop,then tags in Sharpe.Steele has Sharpe's number though;he slips a punch then goes to work on the arm with a Hammerlock/Hammerlock Blow Combo.Steele goes for the Backbreaker but it blocked,a quick forear, shot to the head disorients Sharpe enough for a second Backbreaker attempt to succeed.Sharpe recovers and they brawl,with Iron Mike losing and heading for his corner,but Steele cuts him off with a Bodyslam and tags in Muraco.Muraco comes in and pops Sharpe right in the throat,then works him with some chops and beautiful Thrust Kick to the nose.Grounded Mafia Kick misses,but Don slips a headlock and delivers a Forearm to the head before lifting him into a Back Suplex.The ref gets knocked down and out as Sharpe whips Muraco into the ropes,but Muraco avoids him and hits a Double Backbreaker.Sharpe gets away on the mat but Muraco slips behind him and nails him with a Low Blow Cradle,drawing a chorus of boos...1..2..3..4...5...the ref is still out..and so is Sharpe as he finally kicks out.Sharpes dodges a Mafia Kick and stuns Don with Frint Facelock,then tags in Lee,with the ref recovering just in time to see the tag.Tiger works Muraco's arm,but he gets away from a Chinlock soon enough and tags in Putski.Ivan rushes in and delivers a kick to the gut followed by a Giant Suplex.Lee avoids a kick on the ground and hits a Gutwrech Suplex,Lee picks him up for another one but Putski simply Clubs him down,then picks him back up for a Backbreaker.Putski tags in George,who floors Chung Lee with a Suplex and a few kicks to the chest,then a Ground Arm Stomp.Lee slips away and floors Steele with Judo moves,but Steele won't let him tag...Steele has Lee in a bearhug....He's biting him!Lee goes down with Steele right behind...Steele is biting him again!Neither man can gain the upper hand after that until finally Lee goes to tag out,but Steele cuts him off and lifts him into an Airplane Spin Toss,but Lee gets right away and tags in Hanson.Hanson&Steele brawl,which Hanson wins easily,then begins slamming Steele's head into the mat.Eventually Steele blocks him and hits a Bodyslam,and it's Muraco back in.Hanson&Muraco brawl with Muraco winning,then clamping on a Facelock followed by a Suplex.Muraco with a series of chops then a Dropkick and Swede is down,Muraco picks him back up but the Knee face Driver is counter by a Punch,and Hanson makes the tag to Blair.Muraco rolls though a Headlock takedown to tag me in.I immediately work his arm with an Arm Bar/Arm Wringer,then a nice Drop Toe Hold Facelock.As we both stand,Blair tries to suprise me with a European Uppercut but I sidestep and hit a European Uppercut of my own.Blair slips away and Irsh Whips me,but I dodge and plant him with a Bionic Elbow.Blair gets away again though,and works my arm before tagging in Swede.Hanson tries to brawl to I dodge him and tag in Putski.Putski beats down hanson with his brawling,then tosses him up for a Flap Jack.It's all Putski now:Kicking Hanson on the ground,he picks him for a Forearm Flurry,then Polish Power's trademark Windmill Flurry.Swede is back up quickly and tages in Lee,who proceeds to confound Ivan with his amatuer moves until he tages me in.I immediately go to work on the arm and soon Lee is on the mat in a Straddled Arm Bar.I can sense him weakening so I go for a Pick Up Face Crusher followed by a Bridging Double Armbar,which gets a two count.The crowd finally starts to get into it as I pick Lee up and nail him with my Leaping Piledriver for the pin at 30:00. [B][U]Winner:Backlund,Muraco,Putski,&Steele[/U][/B] [B][U]Rating:C[/U][/B]

[B][U]Wednesday Week 4, February 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]WWF In Your Neighborhood:[/U][/B] Again I am booked in another mixed face/heel 8 Man Tag Match with some special rules;I wonder what is going through Vince's mind,mixing Faces and Heels so freely,how are the fans supposed to know who to cheer for?Plus these things are always a chore to make watchable.I chat with the guys,then confer with Rocky Johnson & John Studd on how we're going to make this match watchable before match time.. [B][U]Match 5:Tony Atlas,Bob Backlund,John Studd,&Sgt.Slaughter vs. The Wild Samoans,Big John Studd,& Adrian Adonis(4 vs 4 Table Elimination match):[/U][/B] The bells rings, Sika & Rocky start it off;Sika runs across the ring to grab a Front Facelock,then tosses Rocky to the corner and bangs his head off the turnbuckle before brutalizing him on the ground with stomps.Rocky finally fights back and the two reverse each other until Bobby Heenan climbs on the apron to distract Rocky,but he sees Sika try to blindside him out the corner of his eye and sidesteps.Sika puts the brakes on to avoid hitting Bobby but that sets him up a Gutwrecnch Suplex from Johnson.Sika right back up and tries hit a Gutwrench of his own but Rocky shifts his weight and the crowd cheers.Rocky with a boot to the gut,then a Suplex,and he goes to work on Sika's head on the ground. Sika powers his way back up,and they brawl,with Sika beating down Rocky until he grabs a Hammerlock but again Heenan gets on the Apron to distract Rocky,this time it works as Sika is able to toss him into the corner before tagging in Adonis.Rocky slips out of the corner but Adonis comes right back with Bodyslam and starts kicking him on the ground.Rocky and Adonis brawl back and forth until Rocky ducks a Punch and delivers a Backbreaker,then tags me in.Adonis slips away on the mat and we begin trading moves,each going to work on the other's arm,before stop short on an attempted Backdrop and hit him with a European Uppercut, snap him into a Short Arm Back Elbow and work his head on the ground.Adonis slips out my Chinlock and wrings my arm before Suplexing me,I get back up and slips my Rear Amatuer Takedown,then Arm Drags me down and follows with a Body Scissors before tagging in Studd.Studd squeezes my Trapezius before I can get back up and we match my wrestling aginst his brawling;I go for the Drop Toe Hold but he's too big,he tries to punch me but I dodge and take over,working the big man's arm with Arm Wringers ,Wristlocks,and Hammerlocks.Studd gets me with a Bell Clap but I suprise him by ducking and hitting the Drop Toe Hold.Studd gets right back up and nails me with a Giant Forearm before squeezing my Trapezius Nerve and Double Stomping me.I get back up and we do an interesting sequence where each man stops the other from tagging out,then I dive under a Big Kick to the Head to tag in Atlas.Atlas brawls with Studd and beats him handily,he gets revenge for me by Double Stomping Studd,to the fans delight,but is too slow to follow up and gets floored by Giant Forearm,allowing Studd to make the tag to Afa.Aka goes for a Clubbing Blow by Atlas sidesteps,only to have Lou Albano get up on the apron to distract him,allowing Afa to deliver a Running Body Smash.Atlas gets right away on the mat though,and they trade forearms and headbutts to the back of each others heads before Atlas grabs a Headlock and displays some strength as he picks Afa up into a Giant Suplex.Atalas has him down and works the head and arm,driving his knees in the Samoan's shoulder before tagging in Sarge.They take turns Clubbing each other before Sarge gets a Hammerlock Drive,he can't cpaitalize though and they brawl more until Sarge gets a Short Arm Knee Lift in,which really hurts Afa.Sarge whiffs a Falling Headbutt to the Forehead though and Afa takes over on the mat before tagging Adonis in to continue the assault.Srage makes his way back up and hits the Suplex and a tag to Rocky.Rocky works Adonis on the mat briefly before he slips away,then they trade hold back and forth until Rocky gets Adonis in a Hammerlock and follows it with a Dropkick.He picks up Adonis up and leaps into a Coco Butt,that stuns him long enough to administer the Soulman Super Punch,then dance as Adonis is down and hurting.Adonis slips away on the mat and takes over with some brawling,Rocky tries to Dropkick him into the corner but bounces right off;Rocky is persistent though as he ducks a Forearm and successfully Dopkicks Adonis into the corner.He mounts Adonis and punches him 10 times but when he tries to charge in with a Forearm.Adonis suprised him with a Dropkick and takes over with a variety of holds before going behind him to hit a Back Suplex.Rocky is right back up and tags me in;I unleash a flurry of Bionic Elbows but Adonis slips away on the mat and neighter of us can get a hold of the other until finally I block a DDT,and hit a DDT of my own.I pick him up for my Leaping Piledriver but he slips a Reverse Headlock Clutch and starts punching me until I duck a wild swing and he falls over the top rope.I go for a Baseball Slide but it is avoided,I come right back by slipping a Hammerlock and Back Suplex Adonis,he crases through a table on the way down,eliminating him.Sika comes in and I take control of him,working the arm,but I need to tag but the ref keeps getting distracted by the heels and missing it...finally I roll through a Bodyslam attempt while he is watching and tag Atlas.Atlas uses his power to handle Sika with ease until he misses a Flap jack and Sika falls on him,allowing him to tag in his brother.Afa comes in and is on fire,countering everything Atlas tries forcing him to go for the desparation tag to Sarge.Sarge comes in and takes care of business,beating down Afa with a mixutre of brawling and holds.A pair of Double Underhook Suplexes followed by a Neckbreaker and two Falling Headbutts to the Forehead have Afa in big trouble,he escapes Sarge's Knuckle to the Temple on the mat and takes a wild swing at Sarge,but he ducks and Afa falls out and lands on his head,that allows Srage enough time to roll and drag him over to a table,them pick him up and Bodyslam him right through it,eliminating him from the match.Studd comes in and Sarge is winded,I get the tag.Studd and I match up Technique versus Power again,as I work the arm and he brawls,we trade moves back and forth until finally I catch him with an Arm Scissors Takedown but he slips away and floors me with a Giant Forearm before tagging in Sika.I feel a little groggy after that shot and Sika brutalizes me on the mat,then picks me up and goes for the Overhead Fallaway Slam off the ropes but fall on top and make the hot tag to Rocky.Rocky is on fire,beating Sika down with brawling and beautiful high dropkicks.He can't keep Sika on the mat though,but manges to avoid everything Sika throw at him until finally he plants a Dropkick so hard that Sika flies over the top rope,which gives Rocky more than enough time to set up a Back Suplex through a table,eliminating him from the match.Rocky makes the quick tag to Atlas as Studd comes in,they brawl back and forth and neither is looking too good as Atlas tags me in.I try to kick Studd in the gut but he catches my foot and sneers at me.That sneer doesn't last long though,as I swing my other foot up in a mauneuver i picked up in Japan,the Enziguri Kick.I try a Reverse Headlock Clutch,but Studd powers out and stuns me with kick before signalling to his hand,he then lifts my arm and nails me with a Heart Punch! I am down and not moving,Studd shows off to the crowd before picking me up and hitting me with a second Heart Punch! He throws me over the top rope and tries to brawl with me but a kick flies wide and with the last of my strength I pick up Studd up,turns him upside down,and deliver a thunderous Giant Killer Bodyslam through a table,winning the match in 50:00.The crowd goes nuts seeing the supposedly Un-Slammable Studd take one through a table,as my team pats me on the back,Studd is still complaining to the ref that I used the tights to get him up and the match should be allowed to continue. [B][U]Winner:Atlas,Backlund,Johnson,&Slaughter[/U][/B] [B][U]Rating:B- (!)[/U][/B] [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Wednesday:[/U] CSW:Genichiro Tenryu defeats Makhan Singh for the British Commonwealth Heavyweight Title

[B][U]Saturday Week 4,Frebruary 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]Madison Square Garden Big Show(Feb.):[/U][/B] I arrive at MSG for the monthly "big show",a time when feuds come to end in one big match and new feuds begin.I check the booking sheet and see I am facing one half of the Tag Team Champions:"Captain Redneck" Dick Murdoch.Adrian Adonis and I joke about me going for a victory over both of the current Tag Champs,as I was the one who eliminated Adonis in Wednesday's Tables Match. [B][U]Match 6:Bob Backlund vs. Dick Murdoch:[/U][/B] The action is fast right from the bell as we exchange quick moves,I get the better of it and take him down with a Gutwrench Suplex and work the Chinlock before climbing the turnbuckles and sail off with the Flying Standing Knee so many others have done to me recently.I connect squarely and Murdoch crashes to the mat,I tried to go but I can't get a hold him and next thing I know my eyes are being scraped across the top rope.I get right back up and we trade holds back and forth,Murdoch is slippery on the mat,getting away from me every time I try to work his neck until I finally whack him in the mouth with a Short Arm Back Elbow and manage to get a hold of him on the mat,where i proceed to work him over with head and arm holds.I pick him back up and nail him a Bionic Elbow..."Jeez,that looks familiar..." whispers Murdoch,causing me almost break out into laughter right in the middle of a Double Underhook Suplex.My concentration is broken long enough for him to slip a Spread Eagle Stomp and Punch me,but I fall on top during a Suplex for the first pinfall attempt of the match.Not to be outdone,Murdoch falls on top of my Gutwrench Backbreaker,then takes over with some brawling,working over my arm whenever he can until finally I block his Suplex and hit the Drop Toe Hold Facelock.I pick Murdoch up and have him in the Hald Nelson but he rakes my eyes and takes back over with a Bionic Elbow/Running Clothesline then measures me before dropping a knee onto my head,he gets back up and drops another one across my head but on the third try I move and Murdoch grabs his leg in pain.I capitalize with a Knee Bar but Murdoch gets to the ropes.He tries a try Irish Whip me but reverse and get him with a Flying Forearm before picking him up into a Gutwrench Backbreaker,then a Drop Toe Hold into the Turnbuckle.Murdoch recovers and tries to brawl but I catch his punch and turn into a Arm Scissors Takedown.I follow up with a Bridging Double Armbar but it only nets two.We trade fists and forearms until I duck a Running Clothesline and connect with a Running Knee to the Head.I pick up him into my trademark Sustained Back Suplex and Murdoch looks to be in bad trouble.We get tangled up on the mat and Murdoch is up first,he goes for the Running Clothesline,I duck then catch him with a Belly to Back Cradle Suplex,the red counts but it only gets two.Murdoch tries to brawl but I sidestep the elbow and plant him with a DDT.Murdoch fights back and we brawl until I hit a flurry of Bionic Elbows,blood spurts from his head as I move in for the Reverse Headlock Clutch but Murdoch makes it to the ropes and tries to Bear Hug me,but I slip away,then pick him up for a Back Suplex,spin on my heel,then drop him.Murdoch fights back up though,and slips a Hammerlock then hits me with Calf Branding,then goes to work on my leg.I roll free but Murdoch is one step ahead as he scoops me up and tries to throw me over the top ropes.I wriggle free and plant him with a Face Crusher before applying The Crossface Chicken Wing.He shows some heart though and toughs out the pain so I pick him back up,put his head between my knees,and administer my trademark Leaping Piledriver,then cover him for a 3 count at 30:00. [B][U]Winner:Bob Backlund[/U][/B] [B][U]Rating: B-[/U][/B] Whew that was a tough one! After the match Dick and I talk and he's a really great guy with a sense of humor,we really rib each other about the lack of flow in the middle of the match,the ending was what made that one good. [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Thursday:[/U] JP(UK):Mil Mascaras defeats Dave Finaly for the World Mid-Heavyweight Title SECW:Robert Fuller defeats Jimmy Golden for the Southeastern Heavyweight Title [U]Saturday:[/U] MACW: Ted DiBiase defates Assassin#2 for the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title WWC: Hercules Ayala defeats El Gran Apollo for the WWC Puerto Rican Heavyweight Title [B][U]Sunday Week 4,February 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]WWF Challenge:[/U][/B] I am not booked tonight,which gives me a chance to hang out with the guys.As the card progresses we are all shocked when Pedro Morales manages to defeat both Wild Samoans in a Handicap match. [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Sunday:[/U] MLW:Tom Jones amazing run as Canadian TV Champ comes to an end after 5 matches when he is defeated by Genichiro Tenryu. [B][U]Weekly News:[/U][/B] ASW(UK) releases Fit Finlay GCW signs a deal with Dynamite Kid WCCW signs a deal with Mr.Wrestling

[B][U]March 1984:[/U][/B] [U]World Overness:[/U] USA:84 (+4) Canada:60 Mexico:55 Japan:75 U.K.:50 Europe:50 Australia:50 [B][U]Skills and Abilities:[/U][/B] Spirit:82 Power:78 Technique:90 Speed:54 Psychology:81 (+6) Stamina:98 Toughness:89 (+1) Charisma:58 Microphone:60 (+2) Safety:97 Looks:58 Respect:90 [B][U]Relationships:[/U][/B] Friends with Arnold Skaaland Friends with Big John Studd (NEW!) Friends with Freddie Blassie (NEW!) Loyalty to Verne Gagne Dislike for Jim Crockett Jr. [B][U]Contracts:[/U][/B] World Wrestling Federation(P.P.A. $30,000 per,Upper Midcarder,Babyface, 36 days left)

[B][U]Teusday Week 1, March 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]Teusday Night Titans:[/U][/B] I arrive at the arena and find I am not booked tonight,which gives me time to watch the matches and mull over my future as my contract i up for re-negotiation at the end of the week. [B][U]Wednesday Week 1,March 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]WWF In Your Neighborhood:[/U][/B] Vince decided to book me tonight in an Elimination Handicap Match.I spend a few mintues chatting with the guys and talking about the old days with Freddie Blassie,then it's match time. [B][U]Match 7:Bob Backlund&Chief Jay Strongbow vs. Gerorge Steele&The Wild Samoans(3 vs 2 Elimination Match):[/U][/B] The Animal starts off with me;he immediately runs across the ring as soon the bell sounds and begins beating on me,we trade shots for a minute,George finally gets in the first bit of solid offense as he Suplexes me then beats me down.Animal dominates for a good 3 minutes,pounding me with punches and chokes on the mat until I catch him making a mistake and take over with my amatuer skills,repeatedly taking him down with Judo Sweeps and Amatuer Takedowns,a good sharp Short Arm Back Elbow hurts him as the momentum is shfting in my favor.I get a little to excited and blow a Standing Flying Elbow off the turnbuckle though which lets Steele sucker punch me and make the tag to Afa.I try to work my amatuer skils but Afa is not having it as he Suplexes me right down and chokes me until I finally slip away and tag in Chieg Jay so I can catch my breath.Strongbow out-quicks Afa and takes over,shurgging off the Samoan's attempts at brawling and working the arm of Afa, laying in those Tomahawk Chops at every opportunity.Afa is soon in trouble and tags in his brother.Sika catches Strongbow off guard and goes to town on him with Punches,Kicks,and Clubbing Blows;Strongbow tries to mixing brawling with takedowns but doesn't have much luck and soon needs to tag me in after hitting a desparation Bodyslam.I fare better than the Chief as I work Sika over the mat but miss a series of Euroipean Uppercuts,allowing him to toss me into the corner and make the tag to Afa.Afa takes over right away,banging my head off the turnbuckle and brawling with me.I get my shots in with some Bionic Elbows but Afa suprises me by sidestepping a forearm,grabbing me by the hair,and sinking his teeth into my forehead.I shake off the suprise and mange to slip behind him and hit a Back Suplex,then put on a display of mat wrestling as I keep him down and work his head and neck for a good minute and a half before he gets away and tags in The Animal.I am feeling winded and Animal senses it as he punches me and drags me onto the ropes,gets a running start and tries to leap on me,but I roll away and he crashes to the mat.I go for the tag but each Steele manages to cut me off and each time I manage to hit a desparation move before I a Dropkick finally puts him down long enough for me tag Strongbow in.Strongbow shows a little mat skill of his own as he works over Steele on the ground before Animal slips away and they brawl.Strongbow gets the worse of it as each time he gets an advantage Steele counters by picking him up in an Airplane Spin then brutally tossing him to the canvas.Steele is an bad trouble though and tags in Sika,with Strongbow tagging me in at the same time.He and I brawl but I am ready for his cheating tactics this time,dodging most his moves and springing back up from a Stomach Breaker to hit a series of Euorpean Uppercuts,then lift the stunned Samoan into a Gutwrech Backbreaker.Sika slips behind me and crushes my skull with a head vice,then throw me over the top rope to the floor.The match gets totally wild from this point on as he tags in Afa who bangs my head off the Guard Rail,then off a nearby table,I can feel the blood flowing from my forehead and it makes me angry,I dodge his next move and shove him into the ring post.Afa picks me up and delivers a Samoan Drop onto the cold floor before tagging in his brother who rushes outside and tries to brawl I duck underneath and pick him up in a Back Suplex,hold him there for several seconds,then drop him backwards through a table.The crowd gasps as i pick him and slam him into the apron but he soon gets the advantage back with a shot to the throat and climbs the turnbuckles.He dives off with an Axe Handle to the outside but I counter it with a Face Crusher and his face banks off a chair on the way down,the ref is very upset so we take it back into the ring;i can't finish him off and he slips away to tag in Afa who promptly chops me then picks me up into a Suplex Powerslam,he covers me....I kick out at two.Afa becomes upset and picks me up for a second Suplex Powerslam but again I kick out.Afa gets angry and we brawl back and forth as I despartely try to tag Strongbow.An errant punch knocks the ref out and Afa bodyslams me and apllies the Abdominal Claw,but there is no one to check for the submission.Finally I get away and tag in Strongbow as the ref comes to. Strongbow is hot as he whips himself into a Wardance Flurry and Afa runs away to tag in Sika.The brawl back and forth until Sika whips Strongbow into the corner and goes for the Avalance but Strongbow sidesteps and applies a Big Bear Hug...Sika screams in pain as the ref checks the arm 3 times,then calls for the submission,Sika has been eliminated.The Animal runs in and begins brawling with Strongbow,Strongbow wins,planting an elbow that busts Steele wide open.Strongbow goes for the Bear Hug but Bobby Heenan gets up on the apron,Strongbow goes over to confront him,and Steele ambushes him from behind and locks in a Big Bear Hug,forcing Strongbow to submit.I come in and it's 2 on 1 now...Steele goes me down,puts me in a Hammlock,then takes something out of his tights and begins gouging it painfully into my shoulder.Finally the ref sees it and makes him break the hold but Steele comes right back and tries to lock in the Rolling Hammerlock.I slip it though and he floors me with a punch,then goes over to the turnbuckle,stares it with his blank eyes stare,then rips it open with his teeth and begins thowing the stuffing everywhere.He takes the last bit of stuffing and makes his way towards me but before he can get there Strongbow's manager Freddie Blassie gets on the apron and distracts him.Steele grabs a hold of Blassie by the shirt goes to shove the turnbuckle stuffing in his face,but I have gotten back up and rush over to lock in The Crossface Chicken Wing,which draws the submission,it's now 1 on 1 ! Afa is right in,clubbing me down,then he hits the Running Butt Drop and I barely kick out! This makes Afa angry and again I am tossed over the top rope onto the floor.We get into a nasty brawl,taking turns ramming each other into the ring apron and ring post until Afa stuns me with a Throat Thrust,climbs the turnbuckles,and dives off for a Flying Headbutt,the extremely hot crowd goes silent for a second when I sidestep and he crashes headfirst into the concrete floor,as he rolls onto his back blood is streaming down his head. The big man is soon up and we are brawling again,he takes the advantage by repeatedly hitting me in the throat then rolls me back into the ring and props me in the ropes.He gets a running start and tries to drop onto my back but I move and Afa is tangled in the ropes.I quickly capitalize on Afa's precarious positioning,slapping on The Crossface Chicken Wing and dragging him to the center of the ring.Afa tries to hold out but after a few seconds is nodding yes when the ref asks him if wants to quit.The crowd goes wild as the announcer tells them Strongbow and I have won in 43:00. [B][U]Winner:Backlund&Strongbow[/U][/B] [B]Rating: B[/B] [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Teusday:[/U] CMLL: Eddie Guerrero and Blue Panter defeat El Hijo Del Santo and El Dandy for the CMLL Tag Team Titles

[B][U]Sunday Week 1,March 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]WWF Challenge:[/U][/B] Today is the day my contract is up for re-negotiation,the day I must make my decision.I am not booked tonight,being immediately called into Vince McMahon's makeshift office as soon I arrive at the arena. Entering the office,Vince stood,shook my hand,and greeted me with that rough voice he has,"Good Evening, Bobby. First off,I want to compliment you on the damn fine job you have been so far this year.We'd like to keep you on board,so allow me present you with this contract for you to peruse."[I]I skimmed the piece of paper Vince pushed my direction,they wanted to sign me to a 2 year written deal.[/I]"I think that offer is more than fair,don't you? And that's not all,I have some great ideas for your character..Of course you'd have to dye your hair,but you can go heel,we'll have you feud with Hulk, we'll dress you up in-". I didn't bother letting him finish his thought before I replied."That's enough,Vince.I have seen your "ideas" and frankly I don't care for them;Wrestling is supposed to be about WRESTLING, not "characters" or "dressing up" or goofy skits,but WRESTLING.Run your company how you want,but with me being a wrestler,I feel I don't belong here anymore.I will fulfill the rest of my contractural obligations,after which I intend to leave this company." Really,I had been thinking about it and talking it over with my friends for awhile:Verne wanted me to leave and come to the AWA,Arnold was convinced I should stay as better things were around the corner,John was kind of torn himself so couldn't offer much advice.It was Freddie who really helped make up my mind;he told me I was a smart kid who knew what McMahon was doing,what was going to be in store for a guy like me,a traditionalist,if I stayed here,and in my heart,I knew what I had to do...heck,he'd do it too but he was getting up in years and McMahon was offering enough for him to save up for a good retirement...it did feel good to say it right to Vince though... Vince sat there in silence for moment,I think he was kind of stunned, he wasn't expecting someone like me to tell him exactly how they felt. "Well,seeing as you've appearntly have you mind made up, there's no point in continuing this discussion. I'll have my people being drawing up the neccessary paperwork.." Those last few words came out coldly and he turned his back to me to take care of something else.Taking that as a cue our "meeting" was over,I left the office and went back to the locker room. There was a bit off buzz when I got there...I must have forgotten to close the door all the way when I met with McMahon, one of the guys overheard us talking and went back and told the rest of the locker room.Many of the guys shook my hand or gave me a little pat on the back,even the more "entertainment" oriented guys,I guess I wasn't the only one who thought that way. Bruno,in particular,looked very pleased... [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Friday:[/U] SWCW:Joel Deaton defeats Chick Donovan for the Southwest TV Title [U]Saturday:[/U] SWCW:Eric Embry defeats Scott Casey for the Southwest Heavyweight Title [B][U]Weekly News:[/U][/B] MACW signs a deal with Mr Wrestling WCCW signs a deal with Steve Williams APJW signs a deal with Earthquake

[B][U]Tuesday Week 2,March 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]Tuesday Night Titans:[/U][/B] I was really expecting not to be booked,especially on TV, after laying it on the line Sunday,but suprisingly I see they have me with Chief Jay again,facing the North-South Connection,Adrian Adonis and Dick Murdoch,in a non-title match.Hmm...I hold victories over both Adonis and Murdoch recently and Strongbow and I had just won that Handicap Elimination Match and now a non-title match against the champs? I chuckle to myself over that bit of "Old School" style booking George Scott managed to slip past Vince as I head out to the ring... [B][U]Match 8:Bob Backlund&Chief Jay Strongbow vs. The North-South Connection:[/U][/B] Adonis and Strongbow starts this one off with a Collar and Elbow,then take turns working on each other's arms with various holds. Strongbow takes the advantage as he wrings Adonis's arm then lays into it with a Tomahawk Chop twice.Adonis with the Irish Whip but it's reversed and Strongbow hits a Hip Toss for the first takedown of the match.Strongbow follows him to the mat to work the arm,then hits a Bodyslam, and again works the arm.Adonis takes over with a sucker shot,though,and hits a Side Headlock Takedown.Adonis misses a Knee Drop and Strongbow goes right to work on that leg,then back to the arm before scooping him for a Gutwrench Suplex.Adonis sits out on the mat though and tags in Murdoch.They go into a Collar and Elbow and right away Murdoch goes for the head and neck with Headlocks and Facelocks,no doubt trying to set up for a Piledriver or Brainbuster later on.Strongbow tries to work the arm but Murdoch responds with an irish whip/Clothesline.Much like his partner,Murdoch misses a Knee Drop and Strongbow goes to work on the leg.Murdoch finally powers up and they trade arm holds until Strongbow reverses an Irish Whip and hits a Hip Toss,then tags me in.I go right to work on the arm until Murdoch gets himself out of position blocking a Standing Arm Lever,which sets him right up for my Gutwrech Suplex.I work the arm on the mat but Murdoch powers out.He goes for a Suplex but his arm is too weak now to life me up right,I fall on top for the first pinfall attempt of the match.I drag him upright from my Head and Arm Straight Lock into a Short Arm BAck Elbow and Murdoch is hurting.That just makes Murdoch mad though,he sits out on the mat and avoids everything I do until he manages to stun me with a Flying Double Axe Handle off the top and tag in Adonis.Adonis is a little hasty rushing in and I catch him with a Drop Toe Hold Front Facelock Combo,then work the arm.Adonis fights his way up and we go at it,trading amatuer holds.Adonis takes over after blocking a forearm and beings setting me up for his DDT by working my head and neck,he really surpises me by hitting a standing dropkick.I roll away from a Seated Back Kick on the mat and we begin trading holds,I work his arm and he works my neck but everytime the ref is not looking he hits me with a closed fist,until I grab his punch and take into an Arm Wringer Step Over Takedown and tag in Strongbow.Adonis is hurt and Strongbow punishes him with Seated Tomahawk Chops until he powers up and suprises Strongbow with a Dropkick,then tags in Murdoch.It's a brawl and Murdoch comes in with punches and kicks until Stongbow catches him with a Dropkick and makes the tag.I come in and Murdoch goes right for my arm by I slip him and apply a Drop Toe Hold into the Turnbuckle.I work the neck then hit a Double Underhook Suplex but Murdoch is back up and kicks me in the gut when I try and lift him in a gutwrench,he tags in Adonis.Adonis is all over me with right hands but I power through his Top Wrist Lock and drop him with a Back Suplex.We trade holds but I win with a Rear Head Chancery and work the neck on the mat.Adonis gets away and Irish Whips me to the ropes hegoes for the a tag but I use my momentum off the ropes to twist his outstretched arm into an Arm Scissors Takedown.I work the arm,hit a Bionic Elbow Flurry,and go for the Bridging Double Armbar but Adonis slips out and makes the tag.Murdoch rakes my eyes right off the bat and beings brawling,a Suplex has me hurt but Murdoch pounds away on me,working my head and neck,refusing to let me tag until I reverse an Irish Whip and follow with a Powerslam,which lets me tag Strongbow in.Strongbow goes nuts on Murdoch with chops until Murdoch beigns cheating,going to the eyes every time Strongbow tries a move.Strongbow is back in control when Murdoch stops to trade insults with Blassie,letting Strongbow hook in the Full Nelson.Murdoch sits out on the mat and they brawl until Murdoch hits a Second Rope Ounch to the Head and makes the tag.Adonis is in just brutalizes Strongbow on the mat,then picks him up and wows the crowd with a Spinning Head Scissors on the Indian.Strongbow fights his way back up and hits one last Tomahawk Chop before he tags me in.I take Adonis down with a series of European Uppercuts and work him on the mat before lifting him into my tradmark Sustained Back Suplex.Adonis powers back up and tries to brawl but I block and catch him in a Belly to Back Cradle Suplex,I am as suprised as the crowd when the ref counts 3 and we get the win in 42:00. [B][U]Winner:Backlund&Strongbow[/U][/B] [B]Rating: C[/B]

[B][U]Wednesday Week 2, March 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]WWF In Your Neighborhood[/U][/B] I am not booked tonight,it gives me time to talk to Adrian Adonis about last night's match;he told me he didn't like the finish as he wanted it to go longer but he strained his shoulder a little while we were working on the mat and the pain was really getting to him.I also talk to Bill McCaullah,who was visiting from the Atlantic Grand Prix promotion,we got along pretty well.(Bob Backlund has become friends with Bill McCaullah) [B][U]Sunday Week 2,March 1984:[/U][/B] [B][U]WWF Challenge:[/U][/B] Again I am not booked,which is no suprise.I rest up and chat with the guys in the locker room. [B][U]Other News:[/U][/B] [U]Wednesday:[/U] Central States:Harley Race defeats Killer Karl Krupp for the Central States Heavyweight Title [U]Thursday:[/U] SWCW:Steve Wright defeats Joel Deaton for the Southwest TV Title [U]Friday:[/U] SWCW:Adrian Street defeats Steve Wright for the Southwest TV Title [U]Saturday:[/U] ASW(UK):Mike Bennett defeats Rick Wiseman for the European Middleweight Title SECW:Bob Armstrong defeats Jerry Stubbs for the Alabama Heavyweight Title [B][U]Weekly News:[/U][/B] -Barry Windham offically leaves CWF,signs with AJPW -Bulldog Bob Brown officially leaves Central States -CWA signs Honky Tonk Man -WCCW signs Dick Slater,Black Bart, and Bobby Duncum Sr. -CWF signs Bad News Allen -CMLL signs Dynamite Kid

Archived