AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed

1725401751698.png
A NEW ERA. A NEW ATTITUDE.

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING (SYNDICATED) - HALENBECK HALL - ST. CLOUD, MN - AIRDATE: SAT./SUN. - FEB. 2-3, 1991

Announcers: Jack Reynolds & David Crockett

Ring Announcer/In-ring Interviewer: Eric Bischoff

(1st Taping)

(# Aired on previous AWA program.)

Show Intro

In-studio:
Larry Nelson.

Nelson welcomed viewers and started the program by introducing a message from AWA promoter Jim Crockett.

VIDEO:

Crockett was seated behind his desk

# Crockett: Hello. I'm Jim Crockett.

Recently here on SLAM! wrestling, Cactus Jack viciously assaulted Barry Windham after Cactus had just won a match against Jerry Blackwell.

The good news is Barry Windham is fine. He has recovered from Jack driving his lower extremities into the steel ring post. There was no serious injury.

Because of his attack on Windham, I am ordering a match.

It will be Cactus Jack vs. Barry Windham at Winter Warfare.

Winter Warfare is already shaping up to be a great show.

And more exciting matches are to come.

Thank you for your time.

END VIDEO

In-studio:
Nelson hyped Winter Warfare and ran down the program:

TV MAIN EVENT: The Destruction Crew vs. Top Guns

Tommy Rich continues his hunt for the right tag team partner

Jonnie Stewart laces 'em up

Another Winter Warfare report

A look at some of the highlights from last week of the exciting PWHC match where Greg Valentine defended against Dustin Rhodes from the USWA. Nelson pointed out that Rhodes was the son of wrestling legend Dusty Rhodes.

The Trooper wrestles

And more!

Nelson sent it to the ring in St. Cloud.

Brad Rheingans won a squash match over Denny Brown via pinfall with his fisherman suplex into a bridgeout (Perfect Plex) finisher

Brad got a good ovation coming down the face aisle to the ring.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Bischoff:
Brad, recently Ken Patera came out on this program and said he's ready to fight you one-on-one in any kind of match you want.

Brad: You know, Eric, Winter Warfare is coming up.

Eric: It is.

Brad: Ken Patera. This is for you. I challenge you to a match at Winter Warfare!

Crowd cheered because they had nothing better to do.

Brad: Let's see who the better man in the ring is Ken!

That means no Tully and no Valerie interfering! Just you and me, pal!

I still get angry about the cowardly way you turned on me and joined up with Valerie! I still lose sleep over it!

You couldn't just be a man and tell me you've made a decision to go with Valerie! Oh no! You had to attack me on national television to make our split as a team official!

This is between you and me, Ken, and no one else! Keep Tully and Valerie out of the picture and let's see what happens!

If you beat me then you beat me! Just do it on your own, Ken! And not with the help of your new friends!

Crowd cheered.

Pic aired of Tommy Rich with the caption: NEXT... LOOKING FOR MR. RIGHT!!!*

(* In this case, 'Looking for Mr. Right' is in reference to a tag team partner and not Jim Barnett. )

Commercials

Tommy Rich & ???? vs. The Mulkeys

The Mulkeys were in the ring and announced and got a decent response from the fans who remembered them from their Crockett NWA days.

Tommy took the ring mic from Eric Bischoff.

Rich: Well, the search continues for a tag team partner that can help me go after those World Tag Team Championships.

But first, Bill and Randy Mulkey, you are some of the finest... losers in the business today. Hahaha!

Crowd booed Rich.

Rich: My partner this week drove all the way from Kansas City. He is... Vinnie Valentino!

Valentino came down the heel aisle to very little reaction as most didn't know who he was.

Valentino stepped in the ring.

Rich: Wait a minute! You never said you wrestled barefoot.

All the pics you sent me never showed your feet and nothing was mentioned in your resume'!

Vinnie: Well, I wrestle barefoot.

Rich: Great. Another Jimmy Snuka wanna-be.

Hey! You haven't harmed any groupies, have ya?!

Vinnie: Uh... no.

Rich: OK. We are good to go.

Ref called for the bell to start the match.

Match was largely dominated by Rich and Valentino but the Mulkeys got very limited offense in.

End of the match saw Bill Mulkey and Valentino the legal men in the ring. Valentino was dominating Bill. Rich seemed quite pleased in the corner. Valentino whipped Bill into the ropes and caught Bill coming off with a high dropkick. Bill crashed to the mat. Rich turned and looked out at the crowd.

Rich picked up on a mic,

Rich: I think I've found my partner!

Valentino snapped Bill up and went to whip Bill into the ropes but Bill reversed and Valentino slammed into Rich, who still had his back turned. Rich crashed to the floor. Valentino stunned and turned and Bill caught Valentino in a small package for the pin. 1...2...3! Crowd popped big-time. Randy stepped into the ring and hugged Bill. Ref raised both Mulkey's hands in victory. The happy pair left the ring and briefly celebrated with fans at ringside before heading back up the face aisle. Tommy Rich recovered on the floor and climbed back into the ring. Valentino had just gotten to his feet.

Rich again took the ring mic from Bischoff.

Rich: Vinnie, I had high hopes for you, my man. You were dominating the Mulkeys all by yourself.

But your one stupid move cost us the match. And that one stupid move also cost you any chance at being my tag team partner. Hi the bricks.

A disappointed Vinnie started to leave the ring.

Rich: Vinnie.

Vinnie turned and had a hopeful look on his face that Rich had changed his mind.

Rich: Wash your feet. They stink. Get outta here.

Sad Vinnie left the ring alone and headed back up the heel aisle and had some sympathy from the fans.

Rich: Well, the search continues. I just lost a match to the Mulkey brothers thanks to my tag team partner.

If you're interested in being my tag team partner, send your resume' and a cover photo to the AWA offices.

And , please! Know how to win!

Video aired from the Valentine-Rhodes PWHC match from last week's ASW with the caption: NEXT... PUSHED TO THE LIMIT!!!

Commercials/Market-specific promos for house show cities/Generic promos from non-house show cities

In-studio: Nelson reminded viewers that beginning next Wednesday, February 6th, AWA SLAM! wrestling on ESPN would start airing at its new regular time of 10pm ET and 7pm PT.

Larry Nelson inro'd footage from the Greg Valentine (PWHC)-Dustin Rhodes match from last week's show.

VIDEO:

# Valentine came up behind Dustin, dropped down and hit Dustin with a chop block to the back of the knee. Dustin crumpled to the mat. Valentine up, grabbed Dustin's left leg and yanked on it a few times and then wrapped Dustin up in the figure 4 leglock, Crowd urging the feisty challenger on. Valentine cinched up on the hold but Dustin not giving up. Dustin started scooting towards the ropes. Valentine killed Dustin's movement when he further cinched up on the hold. Dustin then resumed his struggle and finally was able to get close enough to drape his arm out over the bottom rope to force a break. Valentine released the hold and got up and hit the downed Dustin with a couple of head shots, snapped Dustin up and suplexed Dustin. Valentine ran and hit the ropes and came off with a running elbow smash but Dustin rolled out of the way and Valentine crashed to the mat. Crowd cheered. Both men down. Ref started the 10-count. Both men up and Valentine walked right into an inverted atomic drop followed by a clothesline. Valentine crashed to the mat. Dustin for the cover. 1...2...thr... Valentine got his foot on the bottom rope. Ref ordered a break. Crowd groaned. Valentine made it to his feet. Dustin grabbed Valentine and prepared to run Valentine into the corner but Valentine shoved Dustin off and Dustin slammed front-first into the buckles. Dustin walked out of the corner holding his chest. Valentine came up behind Dustin, spun Dustin around and hit Dustin with a bionic elbow. Dustin fired back with one of his own. Valentine hit another one. Dustin hit Valentine with another bionic elbow. Valentine struck Dustin with another bionic elbow. Dustin struck with another. Valentine stunned. Dustin fired away with a rapid-fire series of bionic elbows on Valentine and then stopped and Valentine crashed face-first to the mat. Dustin quickly regained his bearings. Valentine got up bent over and Dustin nailed Valentine with a drop down uppercut. Valentine reeling. Dustin grabbed Valentine and nailed Valentine with a lifting inverted DDT. Crowd popped. Dustin for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! NO! Valentine got a shoulder up. Crowd really groaned. Dustin whipped valentine into the ropes and caught Valentine coming off with a dropkick. Valentine spun around and crashed to the mat. Crowd feeling the plumber's son. Dustin ran and jumped on the middle buckle as Valentine got up and went for a twisting diving crossbody but Valentine fell out of the way and Dustin crashed to the mat. Both men down. Ref started the count. Both men up and Valentine caught Dustin with a kick to the gut and then blasted Dustin with a piledriver. Valentine for the cover. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the crowd booed.

In-studio:
Nelson said Dustin is a wrestler to keep an eye on as he shows a lot of promise.

Pic aired of Jonnie Stewart with the caption. NEXT... JONNIE'S HERE!!!

Commercials

Jonnie Stewart won a squash match over Chris Masters via pinfall with his big elbow off the top rope finisher

Pic aired of the Trooper with the caption: NEXT... LOOKING FOR GOLD!!!

The Trooper won a squash match over Terry Gibbs via pinfall with his flying shoulder tackle finisher

Trooper came to the ring down the face aisle to a strong ovation. Trooper handed out souvenir speeding tickets on the way to the ring.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Eric
: Trooper, you are on quite the roll right now. And you've got Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion Greg Valentine in your sights.

Trooper: That's right, Eric. I've made it clear that my goal in 1991 is to win the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship.

No one has pushed Valentine to the max like I have.

I feel I deserve another shot at the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship.

I've shown what I'm made of. I've worked my way up the ladder of contention.

The time is now.

It's time for a change. These fans want it!

Crowd cheered.

Trooper: Greg Valentine! The clock is ticking on your run as Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion and it's about to strike midnight for you!

1991 will be a year of great change in the AWA! And I aim to be a big part of that change!

AWA Championship Committee! I'm begging you! Please, make the match between me and Valentine for the title... and soon!

More cheers.

Eric: He is the Trooper! And he's gunning for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship!

Pic aired of the Winter Warfare logo with the caption: NEXT... NEW UPDATE!!!

Commercials

WINTER WARFARE REPORT

Larry Nelson was seated behind the studio desk in front of the AWA logo.

# Nelson: Welcome to this new Winter Warfare update. I'm Larry Nelson.

Winter Warfare will be airing live on ESPN on Tuesday, February 19th with a start time of 9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific.

The show will be coming to you from the Icardo Center on the Cal State-Bakersfield campus in Bakersfield, California.

Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased through Ticket Master or by calling the Icardo Center box office at (805) 867-5309 or by visiting the Icardo Center box office in person.

The main event is set.

For the AWA World Championship, World Champion Col. DeBeers will be defending the title against the man he beat for the belt, 'Chief' Wahoo McDaniel.

And there's a stipulation for this match. It will be an Indian strap match!

The Indian strap match is the specialty match of Wahoo. He's never lost a strap match in his career.

Will Winter Warfare be where Wahoo regains the AWA World Championship? Or, will Col. DeBeers be the man to end Wahoo's undefeated streak in Indian strap matches and retain the big silver belt?

We've also just had a new match added to Winter Warfare this week.

After a recent assault on Barry Windham by Cactus Jack after a match between Cactus and Jerry Blackwell that Cactus won when the referee did not see Blackwell get his foot on the bottom rope before the three count, Windham came out to inform the ref what happened and here's what went down.

VIDEO:

Jerry whipped Jack into the buckles and charged in and pulverized Jack with an avalanche. Jack limp in the corner as the fans cheered. Jerry pulled Jack out of the corner and bodyslammed Jack. Jerry mounted the middle buckle and came off with his diving splash finisher but Jack got his knees up and Jerry crashed into them. Jerry rolled over on his back. Jack up and nailed Jerry with a running elbow smash. Jack for the cover. 1...2... Jerry got his foot on the bottom rope. ...3! Ref up and turned and called for the bell. Fans yelling that Blackwell's foot was on the bottom rope. Ref raised Jack's hand in victory.

Jack strutted around the ring victoriously. Crowd popped as Barry Windham charged down the face aisle and hit the ring. Barry started talking to the ref and gestured that Jerry had his foot on the bottom rope. Ref pointed at his eyes and shook his 'no', that he didn't see the foot. As Barry talked with the ref, Jack came over and had some words with Barry. Jack was overheard telling Barry to mind his own business. After a little more back-and-forth off-mic, Jack turned to leave and Barry made the mistake of taking his eyes off Jack. Jack clubbed Barry in the back. Barry stumbled forward and spun around. Jack caught Barry with some punches and then nailed Barry with a discus clothesline. Barry crashed to the mat. Jack grabbed Barry and dragged Barry into the corner. Jack dropped to the floor, grabbed Barry's legs and pulled them around the ring post. Jack yanked Barry's legs and Barry's nuts slammed into the post. Barry in tremendous pain. Jack prepared to repeat the nut cracker until some face wrestlers charged out of their locker room and chased Jack off. Wrestlers checking on the hurting Barry.

END VIDEO

Nelson: You saw what happened to lead to this match. Now, let's hear from Cactus Jack and Barry Windham..

VIDEO:

Jack was in street clothes with mic in hand and standing in front of the AWA logo.

Jack: Barry Windham's one of the biggest stars in professional wrestling. And because of that, he thinks he has the right to come to the ring and try and get the results of matches changed if he doesn't like them.

Well, I showed him. Barry, you might be able to get away with that with some wrestlers. But, you can't get away with that with me.

The ref counted three and raised my hand in victory! I won! It was my moment!

But you had to try and steal it from me! There was no way I was going to let you do that!

How do your man parts feel right now, Barry?! Bet they still hurt! And you deserve to feel that pain for what you tried to take from me!

Now, we face-off at Winter Warfare! And it's gonna be a cold night in hell for you when I go crazy on you!

Sometimes, they say a man has balls as big as grapefruits! Well, at Winter Warfare, Windham, yours literally might be when I'm through with you!

Pic flipped and Windham was in street clothes and standing in front of the AWA logo with mic in hand.

Barry: The first thing I want to let everyone know is that I'm OK. Cactus Jack tried to injure me but he failed.

Outside of a little soreness, I am ready to go.

I'm gonna put my issues with Tully Blanchard on hold for one night for a match with Cactus because of what he did to me.

You attacked me from behind and violently pulled me into that post, Cactus.

And the only thing I could think of as I laid there in great pain was... revenge.

Cactus, you're young; but you already have a controversial reputation in this business.

I've seen you wrestle and I'm not sure you're altogether there. You seem a little off-kilter, if you get my drift.

Sometimes you've got to fight crazy with crazy.

So, Cactus, at Winter Warfare, you bring all the crazy you want. And I'll get crazy, too.

Then we'll see who does crazy better.

Get ready for a roller coaster ride between us at Winter Warfare!

END VIDEO

Nelson: It promises to get wild when Cactus Jack and Barry Windham collide at Winter Warfare.

We'll be announcing more great matches for Winter Warfare in the weeks to come.

Be sure to check back next week, fans.

I'm Larry Nelson.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... THE MAIN EVENT!!!

Commercials

In-studio: Nelson reminded viewers that beginning next Wednesday, February 6th, AWA SLAM! wrestling on ESPN would start airing at its new, regular time of 10pm ET and 7pm PT.

TV MAIN EVENT: The Destruction Crew vs. Top Guns

Destruction Crew (Wayne Bloom & Mike Enos) came down the heel aisle to pretty strong boos but also had their fans.

Top Guns (Ricky Rice & Dertrick Dukes) came down the face aisle to a decent crowd reaction.

Good, fast-paced, back-and-forth action between the two teams with both teams getting some exciting near falls. DC took a couple of shortcuts to gain the advantage during the match,

Wild finish that saw the Destruction Crew win it when Bloom pinned Rice after the Wrecking Ball (Doomsday Device).

WINNER: Destruction Crew - Pinfall - 8:48

END PROGRAM